search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 21st, 2007, 09:52 PM   #61
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Likes (Received): 6862

Look, the monorail goes through a sculpture!

BarbaricManchurian no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 22nd, 2007, 03:30 AM   #62
UD2
A very cool person

Likes (Received): 31

that looks like a building
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed" - President Eisenhower
UD2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2007, 02:35 PM   #63
grimesdr

Likes (Received): 0

MonoRails in China

The Chinese nation is taking the lead in new transportations systems, and in doing so will become the economic powerhouse that the USA use to be. If we in USA do not start also looking at systems like these to solve our own gridlock then in less then 20 years we will become a 3rd world nation. Light and heavy rail are only part of the solution to solving gridlock. We need to integrate our transportation systems so we take advantage of existing systems and build new systems like this to solve new problems. In the north of Boston, MASS and there are no good ways for thousands of commuters to get to their jobs but by the car on gridlock highways.

Last edited by grimesdr; February 2nd, 2008 at 04:25 PM.
grimesdr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2007, 05:13 PM   #64
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Likes (Received): 6862

Not a real building, just an empty shell that the monorail goes through, so that's why I call it a sculpture (is there any better terminology?).
BarbaricManchurian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 12:38 AM   #65
dwdwone
Subway Dave

Likes (Received): 39

Chonigqing Monoraial-Subway

The current monorail includes 3 subway stations. If the monoraial can be built as a subway, why cana't a conventional metro?
dwdwone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 11:55 AM   #66
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2825

They just chose the monorail, coz it's running above the streets usually, underground sections are when passing through mountains.

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪Korea/Japonia₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany

Last edited by Falubaz; July 27th, 2009 at 05:26 PM.
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 11:08 AM   #67
P05
Agur eta ohore

Likes (Received): 2200

Some videos

Old January 6th, 2010, 08:34 PM   #68
lkstrknb
Chicago Luke

Likes (Received): 795

Nice videos! It is nice to see how easily the train negotiates such steep hills and sharp curves! Chongqing looks like such a spectacular city which I would love to visit some day!
lkstrknb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2010, 09:02 AM   #69
Scion

Likes (Received): 4019

Scion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2010, 08:30 PM   #70
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 841

I think, finally, that Monorails are seriously being looked at as cost effective rapid/mass transit intead of little people movers for amuzement parks and zoos. There are more monorails being built right now for real mass transit than ever before and it seems to be picking up speed with one's under construction and other large ones planned suchas in India, Vietnam, and possible Brazil.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2010, 03:32 AM   #71
cal_t
Transport Advocate

Likes (Received): 21

It's ideal for space saving purposes or difficult terrain to dig in, making elevated options a most cost effective one.
Old August 4th, 2010, 05:05 PM   #72
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1833

Chongqing rapid transit plans have been updated. Now they will build 17 lines and 773 kilometers. And 513 of them in 10 lines will be ready in 2020.

The thing is that the source is not the Chinese subforum, but Spanish .
Old August 4th, 2010, 05:51 PM   #73
The Cebuano Exultor
Seeking Affiliation

Likes (Received): 21

Chongqing Massive Masterplan for its Urban Railway Network

That's an insane amount of rail lines. Heck, Chongqing could give both Shanghai and Beijing a run for their money when it comes to total urban railway network mileage.

I bet the China's central government is grooming Chongqing to be the fourth major urban center in the country after the Yangtze River Delta, the Pearl River Delta, and the Beijing-Tianjin urban corridor.
Old August 4th, 2010, 08:43 PM   #74
tampasteve

Likes (Received): 258

They are not just grooming it to be, it already is. I just got back from China and spent a day in Chongqing while in transit. I wish that I had planned more time, at least a few days. It is a great city, very green with lots of tree cover, nice walkable areas, and the monorail is a nice system, though limited right now. The aerial trams are cool too. Chongqing is an amazing city that will give a lot of the more known cities in China a run for their tourist dollars soon.

Steve
Old August 5th, 2010, 04:36 PM   #75
oliver999
starwar

Likes (Received): 1110

there are some related viedeos,hope you like them

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTUyNzkxMDk2.html

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTM3MTE0MjA4.html

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTI1MzcyMDg=.html

this is an old vidoe of bridview of chongqing, 3 years ago. may help to give the first impression of this mountain city.
http://video.soso.com/playvbox/%E4%B...99%AF&cid=td.v

Last edited by oliver999; August 5th, 2010 at 04:51 PM.
oliver999 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2010, 05:29 PM   #76
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1833

Line 3 U/C. Opens mid 2011. 21 km.

Old August 6th, 2010, 01:14 AM   #77
dwdwone
Subway Dave

Likes (Received): 39

Since parts of this monorail operate in subway tunnels, maybe we can have a new transit category, like mono-metro?
dwdwone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2010, 02:57 PM   #78
tampasteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwdwone View Post
Since parts of this monorail operate in subway tunnels, maybe we can have a new transit category, like mono-metro?
Good one!

However, operation in a tunnel does not classify a system as a metro. Capacity, frequency, grade separation, signaling, and acceleration are what make a metro a metro. You can have light rail, commuter rail, trams/street cars, or even buses operate in tunnels. This is simply a monorail that operates elevated and below ground - which is pretty cool, IMO!

Steve
Old October 2nd, 2010, 02:08 PM   #79
Hot Rod
Big City Enthusiast

Location: Vancouver, Osaka, Chicago, Chongqing, Seattle, and OKC
Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampasteve View Post
They are not just grooming it to be, it already is. I just got back from China and spent a day in Chongqing while in transit. I wish that I had planned more time, at least a few days. It is a great city, very green with lots of tree cover, nice walkable areas, and the monorail is a nice system, though limited right now. The aerial trams are cool too. Chongqing is an amazing city that will give a lot of the more known cities in China a run for their tourist dollars soon.

Steve
I also have been to Chongqing many many times, and totally agree with the above statements. I think CQ could hang with most world cities and is doing many things CORRECTLY in every facet as it grows and develops. It is amazing to visit from one year to the next, not only in the explosion of new towers under construction and completed, but just the cleanliness of the air and the ease of getting around. YES, Chongqing is ALREADY China's 4th urban center, already one of the national central cities - and most likely officially become #3 central city very soon after Shanghai and Beijing.

These pictures just dont do justice the the scale of the city or the monorail. Steve, you might be technically correct, but this monorail is big enough (same as Tokyo and Osaka Large/Heavy Hitachi Monorail) that it has capacity/frequency similar to metros, is grade separated, signal prioritization, etc. Also, Line 2 is underground in the densest parts of the city, just like metros (not all metros are all underground). Therefore, I still consider Line 2 to be the first metro system in West China (even though technically Chengdu's recently opened Line 1 is, since Chongqing Rapid Transit Line 2 is 'light' rail).

but I really can't wait until next year when Line 1 is supposed to open - all underground METRO subway from Chaotianmen/Jeifangbei downtown to Daping to Shapingba! Then we can FINALLY call CRT a "true" metro system.

I can imagine Line 1 will be HEAVILY USED!!

Last edited by Hot Rod; October 2nd, 2010 at 02:17 PM.
Hot Rod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2010, 06:43 PM   #80
tampasteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Rod View Post
Steve, you might be technically correct, but this monorail is big enough (same as Tokyo and Osaka Large/Heavy Hitachi Monorail) that it has capacity/frequency similar to metros, is grade separated, signal prioritization, etc. Also, Line 2 is underground in the densest parts of the city, just like metros (not all metros are all underground). Therefore, I still consider Line 2 to be the first metro system in West China (even though technically Chengdu's recently opened Line 1 is, since Chongqing Rapid Transit Line 2 is 'light' rail).
I could not agree more! What I meant is that the current line is limited in length and cover of the city right now, but that of course is being changed as the system grows.

Steve

Tags
chongqing