SkyscraperCity Forum banner

The A1/A1(M) - Dualling North and South of Newcastle and the 'Western Bypass' through West Newcastle

242K views 1K replies 108 participants last post by  TE2345 
#1 ·
This story has been in the news for about twenty years or more. Every so often "something seems to be about to happen" or (as on this occasion) a tragedy on the road leads to someone "calling for something to happen". This story is likely to run-and-run (unlike the road) for a long time, so I think it deserves its own thread . .

Fresh calls for action after series of tragedies
Nov 30 2009 by David Black, The Journal

FRUSTRATED politicians are to renew demands for full dualling of the killer A1 through Northumberland – although the chances of major improvements in the next 10 years appear increasingly remote.

The long-running issue of upgrading the Morpeth to Berwick section of the road – described yesterday as an “absolute national scandal” by a senior councillor – has resurfaced following critical comments made last week by north Northumberland coroner Tony Brown.

Speaking after inquests into two accidents which claimed the lives of three drivers on single-lane stretches of the road, he said further preventable deaths were inevitable unless the 45-mile stretch was made continuous dual carriageway.

Amble fisherman Alan Gair died a year ago when his car was hit by a lorry driven by a Dutch driver, who was overtaking a slow-moving crane on a single-lane section near Belford.

Then Embleton man Ian Thompson, and David Clarkson from London, were killed in a smash in February, when Mr Clarkson pulled out from a line of traffic on the single-carriageway Felton bypass.

Mr Brown said the common factor in both accidents was a driver from outside the area who was not used to the lower standard of the road in Northumberland. He branded the section as the “weakest link” in the A1 between London and Edinburgh, and called for investment to prevent further fatalities.

Plans were drawn up years ago for dualling schemes at both Belford and the Morpeth to Felton stretch, but neither has gone ahead because of a lack of money.

In addition, A1 dualling north of Morpeth was not included by the North East Interim Regional Transport Board in its latest submission for Government funding, which covers the period up to 2019.

Yesterday Berwick MP Alan Beith said he would be raising the coroner’s comments with ministers, but said the A1 in Northumberland was caught between the Government’s refusal to classify it as a national strategic route and limited funding for regional schemes.

“Both of the accidents referred to by the coroner happened on sections where dualling schemes were drawn up in the past. These are schemes which should have gone ahead, and still need to. Motorists travelling from other parts of the country tend to assume that the A1 is dual carriageway throughout its length, and drive as though it is.

“The reality is that it is going to be an ongoing annual battle to get sections of the A1 dualled, and we have to address the economic case as much as the safety issue.”

County council leader Jeff Reid said: “The state of the A1 in Northumberland is an absolute national scandal and disgrace. It is a tragedy for the families involved in these accidents that the Government doesn’t listen to the safety argument.

“We have got the issue back on the regional agenda and at every opportunity we will push for dualling of the whole road. We have to focus on the economic argument in terms of jobs, tourism and connectivity.”

A spokesman for the Department for Transport said: “The A1 north of Newcastle is a regional road, which means any proposals to upgrade it are a matter for the Interim Regional Transport Board, which has to decide on priorities for the North East.

“The latest list of transport priorities submitted to ministers by the RTB this year did not include the A1 in Northumberland. It is open to the RTB to submit amended advice to us at any time.”

These are schemes which should have gone ahead, and still need to

See less See more
#111 ·
President of the AA backs A1 dualling
by William Green, The Journal, February 23rd 2011

THE president of the AA has called on the coalition Government needs to get a grip on transport policy and axe "ridiculous" high speed rail plans.

Edmund King, who is also a visiting professor at Newcastle University, questioned the benefits claimed for the proposed £33bn high-speed rail network, initially running from London to Birmingham before heading further north.

Mr King called for money to be spent upgrading the country’s creaking road network instead, including full dualling of the A1 through Northumberland.

His comments to The Journal may alarm Transport Secretary Philip Hammond because the AA motoring organisation has 15m members.

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-...cks-a1-dualling-61634-28216816/#ixzz1ElxXDkF3

#112 ·
It’s still slow going on A1 dualling plan
by William Green, The Journal, March 12th 2011

MINISTERS have not considered any specific plans to upgrade the A1 through Northumberland since taking power last year.

Transport Minister Mike Penning made the admission in Parliament, sparking a warning that nothing will happen in terms of improvements.

Hopes were raised that more funding to dual the A1 could become available after the Tories promised before last year’s general election that the road would be recognised as being of national strategic importance.

In the past, the required funding of around £400m was effectively denied to the North East by Whitehall, which insisted that any upgrade had to be paid for without help from national spending pots.

That left the region unable to pay for dualling as it would use up the North East’s entire funding stream on a single project.

Newcastle East Labour MP Nick Brown, who forced out the answer, said: “It sounds like nothing is going to happen. It is very disappointing.

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-...1-dualling-plan-61634-28322810/#ixzz1GNSSLfk7

#115 ·
Hopes rising again over A1 dualling plan
by Paul Tully, The Journal, May 3rd 2011

A LEADING A1 CAMPAIGNER says she is “very optimistic” that progress is being made towards dualling north Northumberland’s principal road.

Conservative Anne-Marie Trevelyan believes the ball is in the campaigners’ court after meeting Minister for Roads Mike Penning in Westminster.

Mrs Trevelyan, director of the A1 Action Group, said Mr Penning had shown “great understanding” and was “very supportive”.

Now the Action Group has to build its case before the next spending review – and aim to be at the front of the queue.

Mrs Trevelyan, a north Northumbrian who achieved an 8.3% swing against Berwick Liberal Democrat stalwart Sir Alan Beith in the last General Election, said September’s Government upgrading of 65 miles of the A1 to a route of national importance gave the dualling campaign a stronger foundation.

Although the move did not automatically mean funding would be forthcoming, Mrs Trevelyan said: “The ball is very much in our court.

“We have to gather more data. For example, we are talking with the Hauliers Association, we are in regular discussion with the Port of Tyne Authority, asking them for the impact that a better road on the East coast could make.

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-...1-dualling-plan-61634-28625392/#ixzz1LIAn8lip

#116 ·
NOT about "to the North of Newcastle" (thread title) but equally relevant . . .

Business leaders call for A1 works to be spared the axe
by Adrian Pearson, The Journal, May 23rd 2011

TRANSPORT secretary Philip Hammond’s decision to scrap A1 upgrades has condemned the North East to years of failing roads, regional employers last night claimed.

Business leaders at the North East Chamber of Commerce have written to the minister to call for a rethink on the abandoning of two £24m upgrades to the A1 between Leeming and Barton in North Yorkshire. It is feared the cancellation of major road projects will offset any other improvements to the region, such as today’s return of a non-stop train service to London.

James Ramsbotham, chief executive at the Chamber, has accused the Government of “backtracking” on its previous decision to ensure good links between the North East and the rest of the UK.

“For the foreseeable future the North East will remain the only English region not connected to the strategic motorway network, and one of the few regions in the UK not seeing any major upgrades to its strategic road network before 2015,” Mr Ramsbotham said.

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-...-spared-the-axe-61634-28743827/#ixzz1NAij4csK

#117 ·
Initially I thought there was no hope for this but I'm starting to think we might see this back on the agenda fairly soon.

I understand all the planning has been done and it was simply to start once the Southern section has been completed. So it would seem fairly straight forward for the Government to approve this and stick more or less to the original timetable for construction. And the Government could call it "new investment"/show that they invest in the NE, etc.

#118 ·
Change opens the way to A1 dualling in Northumberland
by William Green, The Journal, May 24th 2011

THE national importance of the A1 north of Newcastle has finally been recognised by Whitehall after years of campaigning.

Transport Minister Norman Baker yesterday confirmed the A1 from Newcastle to the Scottish border has been made a route of strategic national importance.

Campaigners hope the road’s reclassification from being a regionally important route could open the door to additional funding – although the Government has stressed there is no guarantee money will be found to upgrade the route.

Political and business leaders have for years been calling on ministers to fully dual the route on safety and economic grounds. In the past, hundreds of millions of pounds of required funding was effectively denied to the North East by Whitehall.

It insisted any upgrade had to be paid for without help from national spending funds, leaving the region unable to pay for dualling as it would use the North East’s entire funding stream on a single project.

Anne-Marie Trevelyan, director of the A1 Action Group, said: “I am thrilled that following the consultation the ministers have listened to our argument and that this important strategic change has now been implemented.

“I am having ongoing discussions with ministers and Whitehall about how we can help them to understand the economic importance both to the region and UK plc for the infrastructure investment that is needed.”

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-...-northumberland-61634-28750209/#ixzz1NGFpdGeU

#120 ·
Cool. Hope we see some progress. As I've said before- at the least they should give the money to dual a few miles of it if they can't afford the whole lot. Every little improvement is a step towards the whole lot being done.

The Tories are pretty rabid on their unionism. The idea of keeping Scotland in the union via better links and and an improved economy in the borders could outweight their north-hatred.

#122 ·
I personally think the only real solution is a PFI road.

The delays and disruption that a single carriageway A1 causes to the economy and our haulage and transport firms would make the price of a toll seem like a drop in the ocean

(of course, there'd be local resident concessions)

#123 ·
Battle to dual A1 in North East goes on
by Adrian Pearson, The Journal, May 31st 2011

TRANSPORT campaigners are hoping to convince the Government it could upgrade dangerous and congested North roads for far less than those in other UK regions.

Ministers have been told the cost of bringing vital North East roads such as the A1 up to minimum safety standards, which campaigners say would include dualling, would be the equivalent of just £7 per person.

For the South West, the most expensive region, the figure rises to £17, according to a report by the Road Safety Foundation and the RAC Foundation.

The findings come as the Government confirmed it would make the A1 from Newcastle to the Scottish border a route of strategic national importance.

The move means it can now compete against other infrastructure projects for a slice of central Government cash.

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-...th-east-goes-on-61634-28790978/#ixzz1NuioDCVC

#124 ·
Northumberland A1 dualling would
be big economic boost to the region

by David Black, The Journal, June 14th 2011

Dual carriageway sign on the A1 in Northumberland

FULL dualling of the A1 through Northumberland would create a vital “economic highway” between Edinburgh and Teesside – and help the North East bridge the gap with more prosperous regions, it is claimed.

The recent re-classification of the A1 north of Tyneside offers new hope of finally tackling a situation which leaves Northumberland as an “economic cul-de-sac” in terms of transport, according to a senior county councillor.

Last month the Government confirmed that the road between Newcastle and the Scottish Border has been made a route of strategic national importance, following years of campaigning.

It is hoped the switch from being classified as only a regionally important route could open the door to extra funding – although there is no guarantee money will be found to dual the road.

Now Coun Alan Thompson, Northumberland County Council’s executive member for highways, says campaigners must focus on the strong economic case for finally getting the A1 fully dualled.

He made his call in a presentation to a Tyneside conference organised by the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE), which examined fears that the economic development of the North East could be stalled by poor transport links.

Coun Thompson said “economic highways” now linked Glasgow, Edinburgh and Carlisle, and were in place in the North West and South East.

“The A1 between Newcastle and Edinburgh is the only road in Great Britain that is not in the economic loop,” he told the conference.

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-...boost-to-region-61634-28871960/#ixzz1PEhpnbJA

#126 ·
Has there been any more news on this?

I've even had a look to see if anyone has started an e-petition about this but there's nothing.
Petition launched to dual the A1
by Adrian Pearson, The Journal, September 12th 2011

CAMPAIGNERS seeking to dual the A1 have launched a new petition as they enter the next phase of their battle.

In the run-up to the General Election last year, the Conservatives promised to make the delay-hit route a national priority, and ministers kick-started a consultation on the upgrade shortly after taking power in the coalition.

Now that campaigners have successfully fought for the road north of Morpeth to be counted as a route of national strategic importance, they have to make the case again as they bid for funding from the new pot.

A1 campaigner Anne-Marie Trevelyan, a Berwick parliamentary candidate for the Tories, is now gathering evidence to ensure the road stands the best chance of winning funding. She said: “Last year Transport Secretary Philip Hammond changed the criteria for receiving upgrade funding so that now it is not just based on congestion, which we have, but also on the economic need for improvements.

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-...-to-dual-the-a1-61634-29404212/#ixzz1Xiq55fOk

#127 ·
Would be a dream to see all of those extentions happening, however sadly can't see the govt chucking us the billion or so pounds it would cost.

The only extentions I could see that would be affordable would be the lines to Walker and from Brockly Whins to South Shields, both of which would just require rebuilding rather than street level lines being laid.
So if UK PLC were prepared to chuck £billions at the idea, would it be better to use the funding for the Metro extensions or for the dualling of the A1 North of Morpeth?

#134 ·
So are those the choices? I was hoping it might be, say, Crossrail vs. Metro extensions + dualling the A1 + extending the M1 to the Toon and perhaps further north + building the Leeds tram + all the Manchester Metrolink extensions + ditto for Sheffield + ditto for Nottingham + ditto for Liverpool + ditto for Birmingham + railway electrification + reopening the Varsity Line. But I guess my priorities are all wrong.:eek:hno:

#128 ·
As a non-driver and metropolitan type I would be bound to say the metro extention. Particularly to the west end.

I think a cheaper win we should be looking for is the reinstatement of commuter rail links to South Northumberland, Blyth and Ashington are pretty desperate places economically and linking them to the city would make a massive difference.

Dualing the A1 is pretty important too mind. It's ludicrous that we're only linked to Edinburgh via a 2 laned road.

#129 ·
As a non-driver and metropolitan type I would be bound to say the metro extention. Particularly to the west end.

I think a cheaper win we should be looking for is the reinstatement of commuter rail links to South Northumberland, Blyth and Ashington are pretty desperate places economically and linking them to the city would make a massive difference.

Dualing the A1 is pretty important too mind. It's ludicrous that we're only linked to Edinburgh via a 2 laned road.
Of course in these days of austerity its all 'pie in the sky' anyway.

I was up in Edinburgh on Wednesday and the long stretch out of the City to the South is marvellous and the thoughts immediately turn to 'what if this went all the way to Morpeth'. Then supplemented with 'not in my life time!'

#130 ·

THAT is a very interesting question. One that could be a very useful political football for someone. Green sustainable vs fast modern road network.

I'd like to see both - but if I had to decide between the two. Well, I'm undecided.

#132 ·
A1 Dualling

Of course in these days of austerity its all 'pie in the sky' anyway.

I was up in Edinburgh on Wednesday and the long stretch out of the City to the South is marvellous and the thoughts immediately turn to 'what if this went all the way to Morpeth'. Then supplemented with 'not in my life time!'
Never say never!!
I think a much more realistic objective is to have limited dualling with crawler lanes and 'drive through layby's' for slower traffic.
I'm driving up to Edinburgh next weekend but will probably avoid the A1.
Have you noticed how many 'speed' cameras are over the border. Lothian & Borders police have the most income from cameras.
Unsuspecting tourists I'll bet!

#133 ·
I don't think they'll ever dual it, not in the relatively near future (and in government planning terms thats a long time)

I maintain we tender it out and PFI it, let someone do it and run it and split profits with the respective councils and the Highways Agency

#137 ·
Safety campaigner calls for dualling of A1
by David Black, The Journal, October 11th 2011

A SAFETY campaigner has called for a Government minister to visit the killer stretch of the A1 through Northumberland following the latest fatal accident on a single-carriageway section of the road.

Conservative county councillor Glen Sanderson said it was now time for roads minister Mike Penning to come to Northumberland and see for himself the dangers which drivers face in using the route.

Coun Sanderson – a long-time advocate for full dualling of the A1 north of Newcastle – said the economic case for upgrading the route had now become the key issue in the decades-old campaign. But he said ‘equal importance’ should continue to be given to the loss of life and the traumatic effects on families caused by the safety deficiencies of the road.

He was speaking after a 33-year-old driver was killed when his car was in collision with a lorry at Hebron, just north of Morpeth, on Sunday evening.The victim was driving his Honda Civic south at about 5.30pm when it collided with the northbound HGV. He was taken to the RVI in Newcastle but died of his injuries overnight.

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-...-dualling-of-a1-61634-29572545/#ixzz1aSSG7U4J

#140 ·
Call for Government to consider tolls for A1 upgrade
by William Green, The Journal, November 9th 2011

MINISTERS are being urged to consider the case for introducing tolls on sections of the A1 to bring in private money to pay for much-needed improvements.

The CBI business organisation says bottlenecks on the road, for example around Newcastle, need to be addressed. It believes there could be scope to examine whether private finance could be brought in to pay for parts of the road to be improved.

The CBI is not proposing any specific scheme, but says it is worth examining given the pressure on public finances. It says, “The Government should introduce road-tolling and bring forward 10 major road infrastructure projects, getting spades in the ground, improving congestion and creating new jobs.”

Anne-Marie Trevelyan, director of the dual the A1 campaign, said: “That is a very interesting proposal that they raise and if it was going to put the sort of money that was needed to link London with Edinburgh with a major road system we should look at it.”

But she stressed local residents should be consulted and any detailed proposals carefully considered, not least because of potential concerns about the lack of alternative non-tolled routes.

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-...for-a1-upgrades-61634-29743903/#ixzz1dCL3jLMB