SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Regional ROAD NETWORK - Coast Road, A69, A19 etc (all major roads except the A1 which has its own thread)

803K views 4K replies 163 participants last post by  Frank Black 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Without the Coast Road, North Tyneside would be dead and certainly wouldn't be playing a part in the future hope of Greater Newcastle.

It has often wondered me how important and how well structered the coast road (A1058) is. Compared to other roads in the UK linking towns, citys and districts, the coast road (i feel) is one of the better ones.

There are loads of roads you can compare it to. I've been to Manchester, Leeds, York etc... but no road between two districts are built like the coast road, well structured and were built for the future.

The downside of the coast road is the lack of development around the A19, Billy Mill and throughout Jesmond which leads onto and off the central motorway. It is a pain getting on and off, but something which could be re-designed to make it faster flowing for all.

Now I say it is well constructed for the future and it is or was, the problems mentioned above are slowly beginning to show their age and considering the coast road was built in 1924 ish, it's done a pretty reasonable job through upgrades throughout the year.

I love the coast road and I think North Tyneside and Newcastle would be lost without it.

Does anyone have any old pictures of it? I remember it being concrete blocks instead of tarmac years ago when I was a nipper.

I've found an old video of the opening of the coast road which shows the East Coast main line (where the Wills building is).

The site is from the British Pathe and will have hundreds of old videos on. This is just one of many.

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=21405

See less See more
#67 ·
Pothole repair work starts on Morpeth to Cambo road
by David Black, The Journal, June 17th 2011

WORK has started on repairing a rural road in Northumberland which was recently named as the worst in the country for potholes.

The winding and picturesque B6343 between Morpeth and the hamlets of Cambo and Scots Gap has been the subject of numerous complaints from drivers, motorbike riders and cyclists about the number of dangerous holes in its surface.

Last month it was named the worst in the major road category in a poll organised by car warranty company Warranty Direct.

Now Northumberland County Council has come up with cash to start filling in and patching the worst of the potholes at each end of the route.

The authority says the road is popular with cyclists and it has received a large number of complaints via its website about number of potholes.

Resurfacing work for the western end of the route near Cambo will be carried out in the next few weeks. In addition, resources have been put in place to carry out significant patching work at the Morpeth end. Some of this has already been completed.

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-...h-to-cambo-road-61634-28893135/#ixzz1PWLz9meM

#68 · (Edited by Moderator)
See below my unsucessful attempt to help the environment and save the council a little bit of money...(you may want to start from the bottom)

wonder if it could be applied to any other roads instead...

Thank you very much for your e-mail regarding the possible switch off of the street lighting on the A1 Trunk Road near Newcastle and Gateshead.

I work for Mark Schofield at the Highways Agency, and he has asked that I reply to your e-mail.

There are a number of energy saving interventions that the Highways Agency are currently considering/implementing on its roads in the North East to reduce its energy and carbon emissions. Examples of some of this work include:

The A1 main carriageway lighting is currently dimmed by 20 % using new electronic control equipment which allows a reduction in energy and extends the life of the lamp.

The re-lighting of the A1 sign gantries using LED luminaires which have enabled energy consumption to be reduced by up to 60%.

The proposal for switching off lighting on the Western by pass has already been considered, however due to the road classification (all purpose trunk road rather than Motorway), and the close proximity of interchanges, the A1 Western by pass does not meet the criteria for switching off road lighting between midnight and six am.

The midnight switch off is currently only applicable to motorway lighting. Should the standards be revised to include Trunk Roads in the future, this intervention may be considered for implementation on the A1.

Regards

Shaun Cullumbine

Sent: 15 June 2011 21:22
To: Schofield, Mark
Subject: RE: A1 Western Bypass Lights

Dear Mr Schofield

Following my discussions with Newcastle Council (see email below), they have referred me onto yourself regarding my proposal below. I must admit that I am not very knowledgable about the matters revolving the requirements of road lighting but I have seen the scheme in the birmingham area and would gratefully appreciate your comments regarding my proposal to switch off the A1 western Bypass between 12-6am nightly as a energy saving measure.

Your feedback and knowledge on how to progress this proposal would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Thank you for your e-mail concerning the street lighting on the A1 western bypass. The A1 western bypass is classified as a trunk road and is the controlled by the Highways Agency. The Highways Agency would decide if the lights on the A1 western bypass are to be switched off.

The A1 Western Bypass is classified as Area 14, I have supplied the contact details of the Area Manager below as he will be able to advise on any proposals for the switching of the street lights in his area.

Mr Mark Schofield Area Manager
Lateral,
8 City Walk
Leeds
LS11 9AT

I trust this is satisfactory

Regards

Brian Loughlin
Street Lighting Engineer
Technical Services
Environment & Regeneration Directorate
Newcastle City Council

Sent: 06 June 2011 18:40
To: Loughlin, Brian
Cc: Adey, David; Coulthard, Kate
Subject: FW: A1 Western Bypass Lights

Brian,

Please see below – think this is one for you can you please review / respond.

Thanks,

Simon.

Simon Johnson
Energy Services Manager

Sent: 06 June 2011 09:43
To: Johnson, Simon
Subject: FW: A1 Western Bypass Lights

Simon,

see following for a response.

Regards

Kate

Kate Coulthard
Energy Officer

Sent: 30 May 2011 20:45
To: Energy
Subject: A1 Western Bypass Lights

Dear Sirs

I would like to suggest that the councils (perhaps newcastle and gatehead together) switch off the lights on the A1 western bypass between 12am and 5am every night.

The same thing has recently been done close to Birmingham area and the councils there hope to reduce carbon emmisions and light pollution by 40% by normal night usage.

I am from Newcastle and seen this as i was driving past Birmingham. Thought this would helpful for the environment but also save the council some money. The only difference I noticed was that the birmingham road put up a couple of permanent signs at the entrance to each affected area about the non lighting period.

I seen this BBC website and it seems that Birmingham is not the only area doing this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-12342843

Thanks for reading my email.

Kind Regards

#69 ·
I'd probably have to agree with the Highways Agency on this one. It's not so much the traffic levels, because at night they are quite low, but the road is quite complex. The majority of traffic in the area is either joining or exiting with few through vehicles so there tends to be a lot of weaving which is what causes most of the delays at peak times.

And while I think tractors were banned, presumably there are other vehicles, especially slow vehicles, that are allowed on the Western Bypass that wouldn't be allowed on a motorway which adds extra safety considerations.

But in general I agree with the idea of reducing street lights. Where a road is motorway standard it would be my preference to have no street lighting unless there is a non standard junction/interchange.

#70 ·
There was big problems on the A1 last night. Southbound on the A1 at Coalhouse Roundabout where the A1 passes over and then slips off to the A1231, the lights were only letting about 10 vehicles through and the traffic was backed up along the sliproad, this meant traffic was Q'ing on the A1 while traffic was trying to merge from the inside lane into the inside lane of 3 which then allows you to go off to the slip road.

In my oppinion where the A1 goes from 2 to 3 the priority should be for the A1 and the traffic that joins from the Angel should be joining via a slip road and the third lane should be given to the A1 thus allowing 3 lanes over the top and onto the A1(M), the inside lane can then slip off onto the A1231 and the third lane could be reduced back to 2 for the junction of the A194(m) and the A1(m).

It's madness the way it is at the moment, if you're trying to get into the inside lane you need to watch for people coming up the slip whilst watching for the cars ahead braking and cars coming in from the right hand lane who have left it until the last second before moving over to get to the slip road.

:nuts:

#71 ·
Skinnerburn Road

Well it has effectively been widened with the laying down of yellow lines to prevent parking on both sides of the road which turned it into a single track - mind the last time I was along there the road was in a right state with pot holes galore!
Can I nominate Skinnerburn Road as 'The Worst Road in Newcastle'!

It's a disgrace.

I was also down there a few weeks ago on the first morning of the new double yellow lines. There were three (count 'em) Parking Control Officers putting (I think the report said) 60 to 80 tickets on windscreens. Fill your boots lads!

#72 ·
A69 dualling is vital for Hexham - former Mayor
by Paul Tully, The Journal, August 23rd 2011

THE DUALLING of the A69 west of Hexham should be a main target of a new town plan working group.

A team of councillors is pressing ahead with a Town Plan for Hexham which will take the town into the future.

They will look at all aspects of Hexham, from industry to transport and leisure.

Former Mayor Terry Robson, who has played a pivotal role, says: “One of the most important things for growth in Hexham is our link with the west. The dualling of the A69 from Hexham through to Carlisle is very important.

“If we could open up that route to the west it would be so much better.

“The strategy route" should not be the A66, which is further south and too often blocked by snow in winter.

"It should be the A69.”

In the current economic climate, and with the dualling of the A1 in north Northumberland another regional priority which has been stalled by Government, the A69 would be very much on the back-burner.

But Coun Robson says it has to be part of the long-term objectives for Hexham’s prosperity.

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-...am-former-mayor-61634-29284176/#ixzz1VpvkymOn

#73 ·
In the current economic climate, and with the dualling of the A1 in north Northumberland another regional priority which has been stalled by Government, the A69 would be very much on the back-burner.

Not so much as on the back burner, as still unwrapped and in the deep-freezer.

#75 ·
A69 Dualling

Full dualling of A69 and A1 never going to happen. :eek:hno:
Why not switch tack and have more crawler lanes up inclines.
Also have a number of regular, signposted 'drive through' laybys for slow vehicles (lorries, caravans and Micra drivers!). That way slow vehicles can pull over to let people through?

#76 ·
Full dualling of A69 and A1 never going to happen. :eek:hno:
Why not switch tack and have more crawler lanes up inclines.
Also have a number of regular, signposted 'drive through' laybys for slow vehicles (lorries, caravans and Micra drivers!). That way slow vehicles can pull over to let people through?
Never say never :bash:

#82 ·
Fatal crash at Redheugh Bridge prompts road safety upgade
by Tom Mullen, Evening Chronicle, August 29th 2011

VITAL new safety measures are planned for the stretch of road where a biker was catapulted to his death, an inquest heard.

Bruce Chaplin, 46, died in a horrifying crash when his powerful Suzuki Bandit careered out of control and veered into oncoming traffic at the entrance to the Redheugh Bridge in Newcastle.

Now Northumbria Police has made contact with Newcastle City Council in a bid to make road markings clearer and improve traffic-calming measures in the area.

Coroner David Mitford had been considering writing to the council on the matter, but was reassured the issue is being looked at already.

“There is major improvement planned for later this year. It’s an area we have looked into quite closely.

“There were plans already in place but they have been beefed up considerably.”

A spokesman for Newcastle City Council said: “Long-standing plans to make changes to the junction with Scotswood Road will soon be undertaken by the council.”

Read More - http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nort...d-safety-upgade-72703-29322661/#ixzz1WQBFoRbZ

#83 ·
A different corridor for the A1 Newcastle bypass?

Looking at some of google maps tonight and comparing the old and new maps of West Denton it occured to me that to the east of where the new A1 Western Bypass currently runs there is another 'corridor' of vacant land.

Was there ever a prior or redundant route considered for the bypass. I know the current route through Copperas Lane etc was earmarked many years ago as a potential route that would require little demolition.

But the pic below is quite striking in that there is so little building where I have put my line. Now obviously the Denton Burn itself runs through some of this land but it is conspicuous that there is nothing built to the west side of Denton Road when it runs north of the West Road.

Is this a 'protected corridor' or just a coicidence?

[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

#86 ·
Looking at some of google maps tonight and comparing the old and new maps of West Denton it occured to me that to the east of where the new A1 Western Bypass currently runs there is another 'corridor' of vacant land.

Was there ever a prior or redundant route considered for the bypass. I know the current route through Copperas Lane etc was earmarked many years ago as a potential route that would require little demolition.

But the pic below is quite striking in that there is so little building where I have put my line. Now obviously the Denton Burn itself runs through some of this land but it is conspicuous that there is nothing built to the west side of Denton Road when it runs north of the West Road.

Is this a 'protected corridor' or just a coicidence?

[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]
No coincidence in the "corridor of non development"

About 20+ years at an RICS seminar seem to remember the guest speaker from Dept of Transport ( or whatever they were called at that time) stating that a master plan was developed late 1920s / 30s for the provision of such a road - the equivalent of north circular road London

Also think of the future planning when designing the Tyne Bridge - four carriageways wide in the 1920's

KEN

#85 ·
Yes, I can see what you mean merleb, but it does show up quite clearly as the Dene on the (pre-bypass) Map that was used in 'Part 1' of our discussions about the Newcastle Western Bypass last year, and on that it looks 'less likely' that it was an actual alternative route, I think . . .

Building the Newcastle Western Bypass (1987-1990)
Part 1

Any MAP of Newcastle produced before 1990, would have revealed the long-planned and prepared for route of the Newcastle Western Bypass, through West Newcastle.

The well-preserved route is clearly shown here, in this 1987 'City Map' produced by the City Council . . .

#88 ·
^^

Ken O'Heed - When you talk about "the corridor of non-development", do you mean the route that was left undeveloped for many years (that we have discussed in the past a fair few times on this thread) which was the route that was eventually used for the Newcastle Western Bypass . . . or do you mean Denton Dene?

#90 ·
^^

Ken O'Heed - When you talk about "the corridor of non-development", do you mean the route that was left undeveloped for many years (that we have discussed in the past a fair few times on this thread) which was the route that was eventually used for the Newcastle Western Bypass . . . or do you mean Denton Dene?
I have no further knowledge on this subject. It was 20+ years ago in a short seminar

KEN

#89 ·
Northumberland County Council submits a
funding bid for a £37m link road scheme

by David Black, The Journal, September 9th 2011

COMMUNITY leaders in two towns yesterday welcomed the submission of a formal bid to complete a long- awaited £37m strategic road project in Northumberland.

County council chiefs have made a “best and final” application to the Department for Transport for 70% of the cost of the final section of the South East Northumberland link road.

Once completed, the new route will create a direct and faster link between the A1 trunk road and Ashington, and help cut traffic congestion in Morpeth town centre.

Three months ago the unitary authority agreed to allocate about £11m towards the project as part of a £42m package of capital funding for key schemes across the county. Council chiefs say the new road will create a northern bypass around Morpeth, opening up new areas for development, easing traffic pressures in the town centre and improving links from the A1 to towns such as Ashington and Blyth.

They claim positive benefits include boosting the economy in south east Northumberland and the wider region by improving connections for local businesses to major transport routes

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-...ink-road-scheme-61634-29389654/#ixzz1XRSGcsNE

#91 ·
It was mentioned in a thread the other week that the People's Theater Company took over their present property which was a redundant cinema. So at that junction there was the Corner House Hotel and a cinema and their had to be a lot more around.
Did the building of the Coast Road roundabout take out a street of shops?

#92 ·
It was mentioned in a thread the other week that the People's Theatre Company took over their present property which was a redundant cinema. So at that junction there was the Corner House Hotel and a cinema and their had to be a lot more around.

At the Heaton Road/Newton Road junction with the Coast Road (where the Corner House is) I do not remember any shops being demolished when the 'new Coast Road' was built.

The main 'sunken' Dual Carriagway stretch of road (from the Coast) came to an end just a short way east of this junction, though the existing surface road was widened with a 'central reservation' a short way westwards (towards the City Centre) past that junction.

There was some demolition to achieve this widening, on the north side of that stretch of Coast Road, and a row of houses (not shops) was demolished, and (in fact) you can still see the concrete 'council house style' garden walls of those houses remaining in parts, with only trees and other landscaping behind them.

The next junction to the east, the junction of the Coast Road with Benton Road/Chillingham Road, is where the big roundabout is, that you are referring to I think.

On that one, there was no demolitions (this time) to the North of the Coast Road, so all of those shops remained (the 'north side' junction with Benton Road) and I only remember houses being removed on the south side - though there may have been some corner shops there.

This photo shows that roundabout under construction in the early 1960s . . .

Photo courtesy of Newcastle City Council/City Libraries PHOTOSTREAM - http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=39821974@N06&q=Coast Road

#93 ·
I always wondered why the Heaton Road/Coast Road junction was kept open, as it is a bit of a bottle neck. Most cars using Heaton Road could join Chillingham Road to enter/exit the coast road.

But then it struck me its probably used to regulate the flow of traffic into the Jesmond Dene & Cradlewell section, stacking cars on the coast road, rather than choking up the Dene with traffic.

#94 ·
It was mentioned in a thread the other week that the People's Theater Company took over their present property which was a redundant cinema. So at that junction there was the Corner House Hotel and a cinema and their had to be a lot more around.
An interesting photograph here of the Corner House junction in 1936, courtesy of the Newcastle Libraries Archive Collection @ http://www.flickr.com/photos/newcastlelibraries/4090375423/

Interesting mixture of tarmac and sets with tramlines.

#98 ·
A couple of things : perhaps the corner house hotel, the cinema and the shops at the Benton Road are contemporary from the 1930's and were not designed by a local company. (I believe that because they all look incongruous to me)
I am sure I have seen a photograph of a car dealers and other shops.
I also heard that a church was there and they had to remove the bodies (I think that the person telling me that may be thinking of Jesmond Cemetery)
The development of Jesmond Park East and West looks interesting, these were monster houses, absolutely massive. I love these enclaves surely there would have been amenities around them or would every thing these households required come form town.
One last thing : the county cricket ground is that the university rugby ground now?

#99 ·
A couple of things : perhaps the corner house hotel, the cinema and the shops at the Benton Road are contemporary from the 1930's and were not designed by a local company. (I believe that because they all look incongruous to me)
I am sure I have seen a photograph of a car dealers and other shops.
I also heard that a church was there and they had to remove the bodies (I think that the person telling me that may be thinking of Jesmond Cemetery)
The development of Jesmond Park East and West looks interesting, these were monster houses, absolutely massive. I love these enclaves surely there would have been amenities around them or would every thing these households required come form town.
One last thing : the county cricket ground is that the university rugby ground now?
Corner House Hotel was designed by Newcastle based Marshall and Tweedy for James Deuchar Ltd and opened on Wednesday 8th January 1936. See details of the Marshall and Tweedy practice @ http://www.scottisharchitects.org.uk/architect_full.php?id=207746

Plenty of shops to the South end of Heaton Road and of course not too distant to Shields Road, so plenty of scope there rather than travelling to Newcastle for the shopping.

Not sure of any Churchyard having bodies removed but as you say, many were moved from the Jesmond Road side of Jesmond Old Cemetery when a planned road extension was proposed. Of course the remains were moved and then the road works didn't happen!

Newcastle University now occupy the former County Cricket Ground and have :
football (1 pitch)
rugby (1 pitch)
cricket (1 square)