1 Blackfriars Road, Southwark SE1

Height: 163m
Floors: 52
Architect: Ian Simpson Architects
Developer: Beetham Organization

Links:
http://www.thebeethamorganization.com

Notes:
Originally proposed at 69-storeys/220m, this has now been reduced in height, and the footprint has been shrunk.
The building will taper in at the bottom to provide uninterrupted views from Waterloo of London Bridge Tower,
which should fit right between it and Kings Reach Tower. It will stand in a very prominent location, and a public
viewing gallery will be located on the top 2 floors, offering stunning views across the capital. The building will
feature a 6-star hotel and luxury apartments, each with their own internal conservatory space as with 1 Deansgate
in Manchester.

See less See more
#101 ·
The new Beetham in Liverpool is just as hideous as the previous ones. Cheap, nasty cladding that looks like the inside of a supermarket toilet from the 1980s

London will be scarred for generations with this tower that resembles a leaking bottle of bleach, and give another notch to the anti-skyscraper brigade who say they don't belong in Central London.

#104 ·
i prefered the Taller design, but i thought the Cladding was aweful, and needed to be changed, im not so botherd about the " Beetham Hump" but i agree with a couple of you in that it needs to be lower.

#108 ·
I used to be against this proposal, but now I'm in favour. My main issue before was the height, which seemed out of scale. This revised height is more sensible, yet still allows plenty of soar.

Another major plus point is the viewing gallery, which will offer some absolutely jaw-dropping panoramic views of St Pauls, the City, Canary Wharf, London Bridge Tower, the Tate Modern, Southwark, Elephant and Castle, the Vauxhall cluster, the London Eye, the Houses of Parliament, BT Tower and the West End.

The overall design is less classy and elegant than some of the other proposals - but let's be fair here, you have to consider the ultra-high quality it's competing against. I think this design is acceptable for Southwark, and I don't see a major problem with it. Just compare it with the utter dross in the surrounding area. Blackfriars Road has bags of potential for redevelopment and I think it needs towers like this.

#112 ·
Idiots for reducing it..ugh, crazy fools. It echos the tate chimmney perfectly, and the future lBT... The SB needs something dramatic... everyone wows about Shanghai's Pudong across the river from its historical bund -- they do little harm to the historical context there and neither will this here..there is nothing detrimental about skyscrapers on the SB, it will just enhance the views from the NB and create excitement...

#116 ·
It is absolutely fantastic at that location IMO...its not high enough to be placed further back from the bank, it would have zero impact... Its futuristic, and has an incredible novel shape to it. It will echo the taller LBT nicely. Would you rather a boring ground-scraper instead on that site?

#127 ·
its a laser beem to shoot down aliens which would otherwise threaten the buildings of skyscrapers. the UN would say "
skyscrapers are a danger to spaceships!"

#129 ·
Remembering tha renders are like politicians.....its mostly self serving claptrap to get what you want!

It looks a lot better and more acceptable to me.

#133 ·
Well I suspect what you can see is just the track for something to run along and clean the windows, just as with the Gherkin, Gherkin007...but whats the alternative...increasingly dirty windows that you cant see out of anyway :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.