SkyscraperCity Forum banner

[E] Spain | road infrastructure • autopistas y autovías

3M views 12K replies 451 participants last post by  alserrod 
#1 ·
I just happened to stumple across it while looking at google earth, and the network they have there is pretty breath-taking, especially by European standards. A few ring roads, tollways, C+D setups, and more freeway to freeway interchanges than I can count, compared to our 2 here in Sydney :( Not to mention plenty of lanes on each.

Anyway, does someone have some context or explaination of what's driving this huge boom in freeways? Wikipedia doesn't have a single thing to say about Madrid's roads, believe it or not, and I can't find much else on the net, so any comments from locals or people in the know, you're welcome.

I mean, jesus christ, just south-east of the city they have 9 full on interchanges covering an area that appears to be practically empty, if i'm missing something I would love to know.

Edit: Oh, nice forums here by the way, glad I found 'em.

See less See more
#41 ·
Torke, Thank you so much for showing us this. I have often wondered what Madrid was like, and you have shown me a great deal that I have not been able to find anywhere else.
Naturally, most sites only show the "tourist stuff", museums, churches, festivals, etc. You have brought the city of Madrid to life for me, and made it real.
Perhaps, one day, if I am very fortunate, I'll be able to visit there.
Your photos have made certain that I want to visit Madrid.

#42 · (Edited)
International design competition

More:
www.urbanscraper.com

First prize was given to West 8 with locals architecture offices (but the best parts of the others projects will take part in de final project)

Projects:

The municipality of Madrid set up an international design competition. The invited architects included Herzog & de Meuron (Switzerland), Dominic Perrault (France), O.M.A. Mayor Alberto Ruiz-Gallardón of Madrid announced the winner in a city hall press conference. First prize was given to the design proposal from West 8 landscape architects together with the local architecture offices Burgos & Garrido Arquitectos s.l., Porras & La Casta Arquitectos s.c.p. and Rubio & Álvarez-Sala Arquitectosis.

Kazuyo Sejima y Ryue Nisgizawa:

Dominique Perrault:

Jacques Herzog y Pierre deMeuron:

Peter Eisenman:

Jose Maria Ezquiaga Dominguez:

www.urbanscraper.com

#44 ·
Coneslammer said:
I just happened to stumple across it while looking at google earth, and the network they have there is pretty breath-taking, especially by European standards. A few ring roads, tollways, C+D setups, and more freeway to freeway interchanges than I can count, compared to our 2 here in Sydney :( Not to mention plenty of lanes on each.

Anyway, does someone have some context or explaination of what's driving this huge boom in freeways? Wikipedia doesn't have a single thing to say about Madrid's roads, believe it or not, and I can't find much else on the net, so any comments from locals or people in the know, you're welcome.

I mean, jesus christ, just south-east of the city they have 9 full on interchanges covering an area that appears to be practically empty, if i'm missing something I would love to know.

Edit: Oh, nice forums here by the way, glad I found 'em.

The city of Madrid has a very good freeway system that incorporates well with the city's surface streets and highways. To add to this, Madrid's metro system is awesome!! Very well thought out....I remember on my last trip I forgot to purchase some items close to the Bull Ring on which was quite a ways by car so being by the palace..I walked a couple of blocks..took the metro [transfered twice] and was there within minutes....did the same thing and got back to the hotel within forty minutes. Incredibly efficient! The freeway system was also very well designed and of course worked quite well throughout the day with the exception of certain peak hours which is normal. They have started to expand Athens' metro system now...as well as the highway system...though most cities would wish to have a system like Madrid's!

#46 · (Edited)
Madrid FREEWAY Network
8 Mb :D

pacopaco said:
Buenas como sabéis haga mapas hasta de mi casa....

Bueno he decidido hacer un mapa de las autovías y autopistas de la Gran Madrid sobre ortofoto, y con bastante detalle, he incluido túneles que se están construyendo obras que se están ejecutando y que están planificadas. El fichero ocupa como 7 megas asi que os aconsejo que uséis el boton derecho y "guardar como", en el siguiente link:

MAPA DE CARRETERAS DE LA GRAN MADRID

O si queréis podréis acceder pulsando sobre el thumbnail:

Un saludo!

Madrid METRO Network and Madrid COMMUTER RAIL Lines
8 Mb :D

pacopaco said:
Bueno , vamos a ser optimistas y como contraposición al sufrimiento que nos espera este verano a los usuarios de metro, os voy a poner la red de metro como va a quedar el trazado real en el 2007. Es un mapita de 8 megas usando imagenes de google maps y con todas las estaciones y lineas de metro, tranvía y cercanía que habrá tras ese año de inauguraciones en el 2007. las lineas discontinuas son las obras....

Yo os aconsejo que le déis a botón derecho+"Guardar como" sobre el URL:

Imegen de 8 megas

, porque ya os digo es de 8 megas.... pero de todas formas el que tenga adsl de 800 megabits/s que le de al thumbnail...

Y para completarlo el mapa simbólico hecho tb por alguien del foro ( lo siento pero no recuerdo el nombre ) :cheers:

#49 · (Edited)
torke said:
they are working on the proyect for the M-60 (the fifth round ring freeway)

Next future M-60 Freeway
Length: 170 Km.
Estimated budget: €1.5 Billion [$1.92 billion]

Canyailla said:
Parece que en los presupuestos de 2005 habrá dinero para el Estudio Informativo de la M-60 licitado en marzo de ese año.

Boceto de lo que será esa vía de circunvalación de unos 170 km y que ya no es accesible en la web del ministerio.

El coste estimado de construcción será de unos 1.500 M€. En el plano se ve también el previsible trazado de la M-50 soterrada por el Monte de El Pardo, y cuyo estudio también se licitó.

#50 ·
But this project is not the only one madrid has, there're THOUSANDS..the city is actually being built again, incredible!

All the historic center is being remodelated, the greatest museums rebuilt, new financial districts raised, new quarters, new avenues, new parks, new metro and train stations........thousands......

If i can i'll post all i find about this, and i ask for everyone, specially spaniards, to get all the information they can from the spanish forum (a huge forum)
Whatever you wanna know about spain and madrid is in FORO DE RASCACIELOS ESPAÑOLES forum ( bottom of the website)

#57 ·
Muy interesante, sobre todo muy inovador lo que son los puentes peatonales y el paseo de las flores.
Se ve muy interesante ese arco en la plaza real, entre el palacio real y la catedral, a mi me encanto, solo que no se lo que opine la gente de insertar ese elemento en la plaza.
En cuanto al resto de parques y vialidades, mis respetos para Madrid, esto le dara una cara nueva a la ciudad.

#59 ·
Here you have a video collection from the promotional DVD which has been edited by the Madrid Council.

http://www.munimadrid.es/Principal/EnlacesHome/Calle30/Pres1/calle30.htm

I specially recommend you to watch the "Proyecto Madrid Rio" video, it's about the works along River Manzanares; and "Bypass Sur" video, about the construction of a 3km-tunnel to reduce surface traffic.

#60 ·
Carretero said:
Here you have a video collection from the promotional DVD which has been edited by the Madrid Council.

http://www.munimadrid.es/Principal/EnlacesHome/Calle30/Pres1/calle30.htm

I specially recommend you to watch the "Proyecto Madrid Rio" video, it's about the works along River Manzanares; and "Bypass Sur" video, about the construction of a 3km-tunnel to reduce surface traffic.

REALLY REALLY INTERESTING!!!!!! THANKS FOR THE LINK CARRETERO