SkyscraperCity Forum banner
427K views 2K replies 232 participants last post by  Penn's Woods 
#1 · (Edited)
Toronto, Ontario to New York City, NY (and back)

Greetings. I have recently returned from a trip to NYC, and as I promised in the thread about interstates, I have taken some random photos of the drive. I was only taking pictures when I wasn't doing the driving, so there are big gaps in the coverage of the photos in each direction. My camera batteries also died prematurely on the way to NYC. However, I was able to take pictures of different highways in each direction (to and from NYC), so the photos cover more or less the whole journey. I have also not taken photos of highways 401 and 427 because I was too lazy at the beginning of the trip :)

I tried to categorize the photos according to the different highways that they represent to the best of my ability, but I am not familiar with these areas (first time driving there), so errors are quite possible, especially for photos at the edges of the categories.

Lastly, please excuse my bad camera work :) Especially at the beginning (QEW), many of the photos are blurry because they were taken at dawn. Also, some birds took a crap on the windshield toward the end :)

The trip (around 800 km):

Part 1: Toronto -> NYC

Queen Elizabeth Way, Ontario:

Highway 405, Ontario:

Canada-US Border (Ontario, Canada & NY, United States):

Interstate 190 S:

Interstate 290 E & (several pics of) Interstate 90 E:

Interstate 80 E:

Part 2: NYC -> Toronto

Interstate 95 S (Cross-Bronx Expressway & New Jersey Turnpike):

Interstate 80 W:

Interstate 380 N:

Interstate 81 N:

Interstate 690 W & Interstate 90 W:

Well, that is it, I hope you enjoyed.

See less See more
#115 ·
Mostar is ruined, but really beautiful city.

Landscapes.

Bridge.

Other bridges and river.

Mosques.

Mostar by night.

War reminders.

I guess in 5 years this will be a great located 5-star hotel.

#119 ·
Can't you understand my doubts? Various travel sites on the internet all state that landmines are still a big issue in rural area's. The bigger cities maybe relatively safe but the thousands of UN troops still stationed in Bosnia are there for a reason, and i recon it isn't because of the historic cities en nature. I would love to visit Bosnia someday, no doubt, only not this holiday.

#122 ·
Wait, I don't understand...are you going for mine hunting or what!?!? I can assure you that people throught all off Bosnia and Hercegovina are very friendly and welcoming, what if I would say that I do not suggest people to go to NYC 'cause you can get killed for a pair of snickers (which is true)!!?!?
And all that stories about Belgrade being unsafe for foreigners is hyped bollocks, it is nice historical city which is worth visiting every day across the year. A few of my friends made a legendary bicycle trip from Budapest to Afghanistan in 2003 (Cyclopolo project) and they flawlessly crossed my country only having some problems in Turkey (watch for the drivers in that country....pure LUNATICS!!!!), so....I can assure you that trip to Croatia, Bosnia and Serbia are not as near as dangerous as walking throught Milan, LA or Istambul in the middle of the night.

#121 ·
Come on guys, stop arguing.

I was told by bosnian guide about these mines near Mostar.

And my opinion about Kosovo and Albania is based on what i watch on tv. This is only reason, why i wouldn't like to drive there. I would be affraid to go there.

#132 · (Edited)
^^ "Golden Sands" ... "Albena" are a lot better ... "Sunny beach" is just awfull ... How would you feel to be locked together with at least 200 000 people in an area smaller than Dobrovnik old & new city, half of which is one huge construction site ? :nuts: Some people prefer such places though ... like alcohol tourism loving Scandinavian kids :nuts:

Sinemorets, Lozenets south of Sozopol used to be still nice places couple of years ago ... but with the construction boom on the Black sea shore i don't know how they exactly look like right now.

CborG should use the Croatian and Greek sea coast for
Fun and beaches ... on the Bulgarian coast one could find better only the nightlife IMO.

btw , here is my idea about a better route through Bulgaria.

The greenone goes through Veliko Tarnovo and Varna.
The purple one goes through Plovdiv ...

#134 ·
Those guys who responding "it's all safe", and "NYC or Amsterdam is much more dangerous" are all from those countries. Things are a bit different if you are a tourist, you just experience things differently, maybe people are different towards tourists than locals.

Personally, i would skip Bosnia, Kosovo and Albania, until those countries have reached a higher level of infrastructure (and by that, i do not only mean roads, but other things too, like tourist infra, medical infra, etc).

#146 ·
^^6 persons. We always hired a van like the Renault Traffic on previous trips but for the distance we want to travel this trip a more comfortable car is better. We've found an interesting deal on a car rental site; For 23 days a Renault Espace without kilometer limit for 1600 euro, divided by 6 makes that about 270 euro pp, which IMO is quite cheap. We probably do need a skibox on the roof for all the luggage.

#151 ·
when u talk about my country and all your experience is based on CNN coverage than it is bashing and has nothing to do with reality. It is if he had asked something about Netherlands and i am answering and i have never been there and have no clue about this country. that is what u r doing.

#150 ·
No the fact is that a lot of you have prejudices about these countries which are absolutely wrong... You can't tell unless you have seen it with your own eyes... Unsafe in Bosnia? Come on... From my own experience I can say that I felt much safer in "western Balkans" than in any other big city in the West (except Vienna).

#154 ·
It has a lot to offer, but still a long way to go.

And you think, that Serbia, Macedonia and Montenegro are much more developed? We are talking about the Balkans: It's not the place to make a difference between "bad", "worse" and "worst". ^^

#161 ·
CborG, I wrote you a big message today and I've lost it. If I was you, I'd do the trip a bit differently.

Slovenia-->Croatia--> Montenegro-->Albania-->Greece-->Turkey-->Bulgaria-->Macedonia-->Serbia-->back home

And as Turnovec pointed out already, you road in Bulgaria is quite wrong. Not only you won't use the motorways but you will also miss some interesting places. If you enter from Turkey, I'd do something similar to this. Go to the Black sea, from Varna you go to Veliko Tarnovo then you either go south for Plovdiv (which I'd do ;) ) and then Sofia or you go directly to Sofia. From Sofia go South, you pass through the UNESCO World herritage site- the Rila monastery, you then go taste some delicious wine in Melnik and you enter Macedonia.

Btw, about Bosnia and Hertzegovina, if you do what normal tourists do, see some historical sites, party a big in the towns and sleep in hotels, you won't have any problem at all.

And a small note to the others in the thread. You guys seem to forget our hospitality in the Balkans and you aggress people because you find them ignorant. It's better to explain and reassure than aggress immediately someone who asks questions. When you hear about land-mines you would be also worried if you didn't know the situation.

#162 ·
More important on this roadtrip, what to do when you get in trouble?

I mean car breakdown, needing medical attention, maybe some corrupt policemen etc. Do they speak English? I was in Poland a few years ago, and no custom official spoke English or German. Well, in France, they don't speak English too ofcourse.

#166 · (Edited)
Well i am sure that more people in Bosnia speak foreign languages than in e.g. France, Italy, Spain.
You know we have educational system and we are learning English and other foreign languages for decades now.
breakdown (tel. numbers 1282, 1285, 1282)
Also we have something that is called automotive club, actually 3 of them
http://www.bihamk.ba/mapa/news.aspx
http://www.ams-rs.com/
http://www.hakbih.ba/english.htm
medical attention (124)
The same thing that you do when you get sick in any other country, you go to the doctor. You know we have doctors, hospitals, Paramedics etc.
Police (122)
Firefighters (123)

Some people can not understand that world doesn´t end with old EU borders.
And in BiH there are so many strangers living here and tourist so you won't stick out like a sore thumb, we are very much used to foreign visitors. It is not like everybody is just waiting for someone outside to come just to rip, kill etc. them. Like many in dome countries think.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.