daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Toronto > Development Archive

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 3rd, 2005, 12:52 PM   #1
Not in service

Likes (Received): 1

OMB Ok's Massive Project (Sherway Gardens)

OMB okays massive project
Alderwood residents shocked to see 990 condos get green light

City council rejected the 4-building, highrise development last February

CATHERINE PORTER AND PAUL MOLONEY
CITY HALL BUREAU

South Etobicoke residents responded with shock yesterday when a four-tower condominium development they thought they killed was given the go-ahead by the Ontario Municipal Board.

The four "Sherway Gardens" condominiums will soon rise 19 to 32 storeys near the Sherway Gardens shopping mall at Highway 427 and the Queen Elizabeth Way, given the board's decision that it will have "no negative impact" on the nearby community.

"We're dumbfounded," said local resident Gregory Wowchuk. "The decision appears to have given the developer absolutely everything he asked for."

Toronto City Council voted against the 990-unit project last February, after vociferous protest from the residents of Alderwood, who live on the south side of the QEW from the proposed towers, which will be built on the northwest corner of Evans Ave. and Sherway Gate where a vacant Sheridan Nurseries building currently sits.

Alderwood residents were worried the buildings would be an eyesore and bring more traffic into their neighbourhood. They also complained the buildings would crowd local schools, contribute to pollution and burden area grocery stores.

They had pushed for a smaller, less dense set of buildings, such as townhouses, a community centre or housing for seniors.

"I'm very, very disappointed," said Councillor Mark Grimes (Ward 6, Etobicoke-Lakeshore), who fought against the buildings at council. "This is another case of the community getting screwed by the bogeymen at the OMB."

However, Peter Milczyn (Ward 5, Etobicoke-Lakeshore) said the towers, together with 250 square metres of commercial space, will draw some much-needed new residents and businesses to the community, as well as new and improved parklands.

The developers agreed to spend an extra $500,000 in developing a local park, and committed $400,000 to improving the nearby Etobicoke Valley Trail.

Sherway Gate will start marketing the condominiums immediately, said company lawyer Steve Diamond.

"There's nothing further standing in the way," he said yesterday.

--------------

I can't think of a better place to densify. I'm glad the OMB approved this. As always, area residents fears seem unwarranted. I mean come on - does this seems like legit reasons for halting a residential development?

"Alderwood residents were worried the buildings would be an eyesore and bring more traffic into their neighbourhood. They also complained the buildings would crowd local schools, contribute to pollution and burden area grocery stores."

Maybe if this was proposed for Collingwood but not the QEW/427.

Julie Ovenell-Carter, Vancouver Sun
416 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 3rd, 2005, 04:52 PM   #2
g2fl

Likes (Received): 0

"They also complained the buildings would crowd local schools, contribute to pollution and burden area grocery stores."

I guess food is scarce in that area.
g2fl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2005, 04:59 PM   #3
You are to blame

Likes (Received): 14

I love it when the OMB slapps it to the NIMBY. Local politicians are too much of pussies to deal with them.

You are to blame no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2005, 05:34 PM   #4
Not in service

Does anyone know where these buildings are going to go?
Here's a satellite pic of Sherway Gardens.

The area looks prime for high-rise development.

I'm sure Loblaws won't be far behind to relieve the neighbourhood of the overcrowding food stores

Old June 3rd, 2005, 06:38 PM   #5
partybits
partybits

Likes (Received): 2

Glad to hear the project went through. I'm looking forward to seeing Etobicoke in 10 or so yrs with so many condo projects proposed along Dundas from Islington all the way to Sherway.
Only thing is the architecture is so bland for most of the projects. Oh well, at least some good intensification. Now lets extend the subway to Sherway :-)
partybits no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2005, 07:40 PM   #6
valantino
The Greatest

"Does anyone know where these buildings are going to go?"

The block below 'I' with the 2 white shapes
Old June 3rd, 2005, 07:56 PM   #7
doady

Likes (Received): 5

There are hardly any people who live that area. Can't believe they were able to get the city to reject this development in the first place. Personally, I would be more worried about the gas power plant that the province is planning to build where those rail tracks cross Etobicoke Creek... but that's just me.
doady no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2005, 08:10 PM   #8
algonquin

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by valantino

It's the site where Sheridan Nurseries used to be, isn't it?
a report prepared by Standard & Poor's in May stating that there were 83 high-rise buildings under construction in Toronto that month — far more than Boston, San Francisco, Atlanta, Miami, and Chicago, and surpassed only by 124 buildings in New York.

my trip to Spain - Part 1
algonquin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2005, 08:18 PM   #9
Istrian
Dino Sauro

Quote:
Originally Posted by You are to blame
I love it when the OMB slapps it to the NIMBY. Local politicians are too much of pussies to deal with them.

Haugh, this makes me happy !!! NIMBY go home
Old June 3rd, 2005, 09:45 PM   #10
Not in service

Quote:
Originally Posted by valantino

Thanks! I can't believe people are bitching about that location. Add traffic and pollution to the area? LOL. I think Sherway Gardens and the QEW have a handle on that one.

Old June 3rd, 2005, 11:09 PM   #11
Roch5220
My dog rules

Likes (Received): 4

well, its not the best location. how are these people going to get to work? That intersection of highway is pretty bad, and the cause of most bottlenecks.

but good none the less.
Roch5220 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2005, 11:36 PM   #12
partybits
partybits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roch5220
well, its not the best location. how are these people going to get to work? That intersection of highway is pretty bad, and the cause of most bottlenecks.

but good none the less.
Take public transit. One bus goes directly from Sherway to Kipling Station. From there you can take the subway or GO Trains. Takes just under 1 hour by TTC if you worked downtown.
partybits no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2005, 11:57 PM   #13
Travis007

Likes (Received): 54

Aww....when I first read the thread title, I thought that it meant the massive project at Sheppard and bayview (Parkway Forest)

Anyways, good news for Sherway Gardens, nice to see some density there. But for some odd reason I just don't feel as excited as if this was planned for downtown.
Travis007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2005, 12:46 AM   #14
Not in service

I found a pic of the first phase called One Sherway. Looks a lot like Pinnacle Centre IMO. Not that there's anything really wrong with that. Far better than an abandoned Sheridan nursery.

Old June 4th, 2005, 01:20 AM   #15
Roch5220
My dog rules

Likes (Received): 4

a 3 story base, interesting that it is better than cityplace.

they will definately have to beef up transit
Roch5220 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2005, 05:16 AM   #16
CrazyCanuck
MOD SQUAD

Likes (Received): 20

I'm not familiar with the area but is it near the Trillium Hospital? I've been there and I guess the mall across the street was Sherway gardens.

I'm glad the sent the NIMBY's home packing with a loss, a round of applause for the OMB. Those complaints were so stupid, " Burden Area Grocery Stores?", wtf is that?
CrazyCanuck no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2005, 08:05 PM   #17
Jaye101
Midtown Fella

Likes (Received): 8

Go Etobicoke, BOOOO Mississauga.
Jaye101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2005, 12:01 AM   #18
mckarisma
Yonge and Eglinton-Midtwn

Well, I will respectfully disagree with this project going ahead. I think the OMB is a little bit too pro development on this one, even if I am pro development most of the time. I think this idea that we have that building tall buildings next too our highways is not always the greatest idea. It creates walls of steel that cut off neighbourhoods from other neighbourhoods. It only feeds existing highways with more traffic, and it also cuts our lake off in many areas from the rest of the city, (although since I don't know where these FOUR buildings are going I don't know if that last one applies.) I am always hesitant to trust the OMB's judgement, and that may stem from the fact that the OMB is primarily made up of people from the "pro-development, pro-business, and nothing else matters" days of the conservative government. They are pretty laissez-faire about new developments, without asking for much in return. This may sound weird, as I still love developments and dream about being a developer as my job here in TOronto.

Anyway, just my thoughts....

Cheers!
mckarisma no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2005, 03:49 AM   #19
Not in service

I prefer 900 high-rise units get built as opposed to 900 single family homes. Locating high density housing next to a highway seems to make perfect sense to me so long as people are willing to live next to one.

Old June 5th, 2005, 07:28 AM   #20
valantino
The Greatest

Quote:
It creates walls of steel that cut off neighbourhoods from other neighbourhoods.
How exactly does an area of higher density residential cut off neighbourhoods from other neighbourhoods more so than a highway, rail or hydro corridor?

And in the case, the area can be best described as a void

Quote:
It only feeds existing highways with more traffic, and it also cuts our lake off in many areas from the rest of the city
Commuters are like most liquids, they travel the route of least resistant. So any development poorly linked to transit is bound to increase traffic (forumers are suggesting the transit connections in the vicinty is pretty good while the QEW remains a perpetual parking lot)

How does a development a minimum of 5 kms from the shore affect lake access?

In the case of Humber Bay Shores, the highrise development has not impeded the public from accessing the lake and has led to an improved waterfront the city simply couldn't afford on its own

Quote:
I am always hesitant to trust the OMB's judgement
no comment