SkyscraperCity Forum banner

100 Bishopsgate | City of London | 172m | 40 fl

Tags
london
1M views 3K replies 462 participants last post by  leew1974 
#1 ·
I think a new thread is needed for this one as the news has now been confirmed by the Financial Times:

Great Portland in plan for soaring 40-storey City tower
By Jim Pickard, Property Correspondent
Published: May 25 2006 03:00 | Last updated: May 25 2006 03:00

Great Portland Estates, the London property group, is poised to submit a planning application this summer for a soaring 40-storey tower in the heart of the City.

Subscription required to read the full story. No doubt GPE is serious about this project. It is a top property developer like Land Sec. and British Land.

Herebelow the story posted by Willjfox04 earlier this year:

The skyscraper, designed by architects Allies and Morrison, would join a cluster of proposed towers in a small area of the Square Mile. Allies & Morrison are reported to be planning a 43-storey skyscraper on a site neighbouring Foster's SwissRe tower. If confirmed, this would be the 30th proposal over 500ft for London. Architect Allies and Morrison is planning a £200m development including a tower that could go next to Foster and Partners' Swiss Re building in the City of London. The architect has worked with consultant Gardiner & Theobald to draw up plans for a 43-storey tower on a site that includes 61 St Mary Axe. Foster's 41-storey tower is located at 30 St Mary Axe. The developer, Great Portland Estates, has combined a number of its land holdings in the City to produce a two-acre site on which it aims to create an office and retail development. As well as 61 St Mary Axe, Great Portland also has holdings on nearby sites at Bishopsgate and Camomile Street.

See less See more
#1,531 ·
There is no absolute proof of a sarcasm attack but the evidence all points at Jamiefearon as having launched it. Reliable intelligence shows it having originated from JM's post and landing in those of the vicinity of Onerob. As a result I feel strongly that JM should be taught a lesson and to stop posts of mass sarcasm once and forall, therefore I will be cancelling my holiday in Tunisia to hold a forum debate at 7PM tomorrow.

#1,532 · (Edited)
For gods sake!!! Look, I was only pointing out my appreciation that onerob took the time and the effect to make it clear that 2 people were standing next to the truck by enlarging, however little, so that we could spot said people which would have been near impossible without said enlargement!

Without the enlargement it is not clear that the people standing right there are indeed people. With the enlargement is is very clear that the people who are standing right there in the original are infact people.

#1,535 ·
^^ Thanks onerob.

Unfortunately, some members of this forum like to be sarcastic. For example "cat man do"'s obviously changed image, which changes the obvious men standing next to a truck with what I can only guess is a robot (although I can't be sure because he never gifted us with a slight enlargement) is clearly being sarcastic. Shame on you "Cat man do"(is that even your real name???) for introducing sarcasm in an already active and extremely interesting and engaging thread.

#1,540 ·
I don't think this has been posted before:

Great Portland Estates has completed the sale of its majority share in the 100 Bishopsgate tower to its joint venture partner Brookfield for £47.2 million.

http://www.cnplus.co.uk/news/great-...shopsgate-share-to-brookfield/8637210.article

Has anyone subscribed to this website?
-

What would that mean? Better chances to get built? I guess for a company to buy shares worth £47.2m, that would surely mean they're going ahead with the project. Am I wrong?

#1,541 ·
What would that mean? Better chances to get built? I guess for a company to buy shares worth £47.2m, that would surely mean they're going ahead with the project. Am I wrong?
Considering this happened a year ago probably not. Sources say 100 Bishopsgate is close to a prelet so hopefully construction will start before the new year :)

#1,545 ·
This is a fabulous view of The City from Jason Hawkes. Interestingly, when he flies near to Heron Tower, you can see the site of 100 Bishopsgate with activity taking place on the ground (higher quality when viewed on the Vimeo website and at fullscreen). No construction though, it still looks like preparation work.

http://vimeo.com/80268904

#1,550 · (Edited)
A quote I found here which is hopeful and possibly significant, published today http://www.standard.co.uk/business/cityspy/waitroses-cricket-spin-off-target-9041308.html

The City might not have to wait too long for another skyscraper, according to Martin Jepson of developer Brookfield Office Properties. The 40-storey 100 Bishopsgate tower, below, has been on hold for years in search of a pre-letting but Jepson is bullish after the letting of its 1 London Wall Place scheme to Schroders — the biggest single deal in the City since 2010. On 100 Bishopsgate, he says: “I’m still pretty dependent on a pre-let but the position is far better than it was.” There is a shortage of new supply in the City — hence Schroders and Brookfield taking a rapid seven weeks to seal the deal and, he says, “alternative options aren’t that numerous”.

#1,560 · (Edited)
Hardly.

The developer has been clear all along that nothing further is going to happen on this until they find an anchor tenant, agree terms and sign initial contracts.

After that a ton of things need to happen before a single construction worker arrives on site, including the small matters of agreeing and signing construction contracts, arranging finance, lining up manpower, material, project managers and the rest. All of which will take many months.

Anyone who thinks any of this will happen without some sort of investor announcement has a lot to learn about the world of corporate real estate.