SkyscraperCity Forum banner

The introduction thread

171K views 486 replies 118 participants last post by  lukloh 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, all existing Bangladeshi forumers and newcomers please introduce yourself by providing a bit of information about yourself. :cheers:

Starting with me,

My name is Ahnaf Saber and I'm currently in the University of Toronto. Hobbies are surfing the net and reading books. Dream is to see a better, stronger Bangladesh in the future.

#137 ·
Well, just informing those who were curious about my results, I passed to class X with 88% and distinction marks in Maths-B, don't know how I passed chemistry :D I made up my own equations and experiments in the exam and got a 80.

#141 ·
.....and we all thought that you were barred from using the computer for not doing so good in your exam papers. Congrats and welcome back.

#144 ·
My current avatar or the old one?

Or... does it even matter?

#146 ·
my first reply to a thread

My name is Georgia:speech: (not really my real name..hehehheh.:lol: )I have a friend in bd and invited me to visit him. And I search the net for more photos of bd and thats why i found this site. Nice photos of bd. Im originally from Asia but recently living in scandinavian. Not so cute but not ugly:lol: Im old:eek:hno: :eek:ld: but young at heart. I love to take photos and been to Italy last year and I want to go to bd maybe next year.

#147 ·
My name is Georgia:speech: (not really my real name..hehehheh.:lol: )I have a friend in bd and invited me to visit him. And I search the net for more photos of bd and thats why i found this site. Nice photos of bd. Im originally from Asia but recently living in scandinavian. Not so cute but not ugly:lol: Im old:eek:hno: :eek:ld: but young at heart. I love to take photos and been to Italy last year and I want to go to bd maybe next year.
Hope you get to visit BD and have a nice time there. BD is not always the easiest place to get around as a tourist but having a friend living there can make a huge difference.

#152 ·
Wow.... I just noticed..... I have a long way to go

#157 ·
Let's see what you mentioned :D

Main attraction of north of Bangladesh are historical sites. Rajshahi town itself is probably not the most attractive place but you can hang out by the Ganges (what we call Padma). The main tourist attractions in terms of historical sites are the Hindu temples at Puthia (very close to Rajshahi) and Buddhist monastery at Paharpur.

If you have more time then Gaur is probably the most overlooked site. This was the main city of medieval Bengal. Today the monuments are split between India and Bangladesh but still a nice place to visit.

Some isolated monuments include Kantajir Mandir, Kusumba Masjid, and Bagha Masjid. There are also several other archaeological sites besides Paharpur, most important being Mahasthangahr, and there are several places with grand old colonial mansions, most notably Natore and Pabna.
Hmm.. I didn't know that there are Buddhist monastries in BD-- anyway are those masjids still exist in its original form ?

Well, the things I really want to see in BD are the... people, food , and culture. Ofcourse it will be nice to make city tour and natural sightseeing but... I'm quite interested in people. Especially on how Islamic life looks like in BD :)

Anyway Tanzir, why don't you go to BD this December ? We can meet up !

Any forumers in Dhaka at present ? Dhakaiya ? :D

#158 · (Edited)
Let's see what you mentioned :D

Hmm.. I didn't know that there are Buddhist monastries in BD-- anyway are those masjids still exist in its original form ?

Well, the things I really want to see in BD are the... people, food , and culture. Ofcourse it will be nice to make city tour and natural sightseeing but... I'm quite interested in people. Especially on how Islamic life looks like in BD :)

Anyway Tanzir, why don't you go to BD this December ? We can meet up !

Any forumers in Dhaka at present ? Dhakaiya ? :D
Bengal was the last major center of Buddhism in the Indian subcontinent under the Pal dynasty (700s - 1100s AD)...a golden age in our history. Somapura Vihara in Paharpur is the main surviving relic of that time (check out the thread in the heritage section if you like). The Pals had an active trading relationship with Southeast Asia and had a strong influence on the monastic architecture in your part of the world. Paharpur is not an active monastery but Bangladesh is about 1% or so Buddhist and you can find active ones especially in the southeast. Paharpur is a UNESCO World Heritage site and definitely worth checking out if you have the time.

The masjids I mentioned all exist in original form (minus the tilework and gilding that used to cover some of their surfaces). You can find pictures in the "Colorful and Historic Mosques" or "Bangladesh Tourism" threads in the Heritage section of the forum. The largest concentration of historic Muslim monuments in Rajshahi division is at Gaur (Chhotta Shona Masjid, Darasbari Masjid, Khania Dighi Masjid, Masjid and Hammam of Shah Nimatullah, and the ruins of a Madrassah). Gaur was the capital of Bengal for most of the time between the 1300s and 1500s...another golden age in our history. The border between India and Bangladesh runs right through Gaur, splitting the historic buildings between the two countries. Kusumba and Bagha Masjids are also not far from Gaur, but keep in mind that the roads to all these places are probably not great, so they may take some time getting to even if they are not far as the crow flies. If you are interested in traditional Bangladeshi Islamic architecture outside of Dhaka then Gaur is the place I would recommend (also Bagerhat, another World Heritage Site, which is in Khulna division). If you plan to visit Gaur or some other place like that I can give you some more info on the masjids there. Of course Dhaka itself has many little places you can check out.

You are right though that the culture is the main attraction BD has to offer and having a local friend will help you a enjoy that a lot more than the average tourist.

As for me I think the expense will make it impractical for me to go again this year (I went in January)...also I generally go back together with my parents and they will probably not be going. So next year maybe.

If I recall correctly ENU invited you to his house a long time ago :D...so maybe you can get in touch with him :). Dhakaiya has been busy with his studies so unfortunately has not been around the forum much lately.

#159 ·
I wish I could make a Eidul Adha trip around then

#164 · (Edited)
Welcome Omer. If you are in Dhaka - we'll be hoping to see some nice pictures of Dhaka from you. We need some nice night-time pictures. May be you can post sime. When you travel outside of Dhaka, take your camera with you.

#166 ·
Hi all... Salam .. Adab!

My name is Shafi Khan... have afew titles to my name HND; B.A. Hons; M.A. for those who take interest in a persons educational background! I studied Business and Management at University..

I am from London .. 25 years old.. father of 1... my son is nearly a year old.. I am originally from Biswanath, Sylhet.. grew up there and came to the UK as a 6 year old in 1988.. been here ever sience.. and looking foward to going back to where I came from.. YES I'd like to go back to Bangladesh and set up business there (a mad decision according to my friends :s) - I love bangladesh been there afew times .. once in 1994 for 4 weeks.. than again in 2001 for 3 weeks.. than again to get married in 2005 for 3 months... I love it there and I think I will be able to provide a better quality of life for my son and inshallah other children when I have them... and Ill also be able to look after my dad who wants to spend his retiretment in Bangladesh .. He has about 100 acres of land there (mostly argricultural) and wants one of us to look after it when his not around... We are five brothers.. but no one else wants to go to BAngladesh!

I aint got a clue about how to do business in Bangladesh - need to learn! lol... my priortiy right now is to build myself a comfortable place to live in Bangladesh.. than will invest in afew businessess or someting... I am completely unprepared and mad I know! .. but I give myself a target of 4 years till I send a cargo of my things to Bangladesh to start a new life there... I dont think I can stay away from London too long though.. all my family will be here.. so Ill come here once every 2 years on holiday to see my family ... Ill come one year.. they will go BD the next.. this way Ill see them every year inshAllah... I made a deal with them!

Well this introduction is chaning to a short biography... lol.. sorry if I bored u!

Take care!

Allah hafiz!

I

#167 ·
Welcome to SSC S.Khan,

Good know you are willing to set up your business in Bangladesh..am sure you will find lots of profitable sectors to invest in here.Btw,where in Dhaka are you planning to build your house?

#168 ·
Hi Mirza,

Thanks for the welcome! There is a lot of money to be made in Bangladesh as its a developing country..

I am from Biswanath in SYLHET district.. and would like to build my house next to our old one in the village.... Having lived in the city all my life I love the village life... the serenity of the village is second to none for me..

My brothers and I have been thinking about the real estate business in Bangladesh - with a rising population there is always demand for housing.. .. hmmm lets see how it goes!

Rod cement business is also good I understand? do enlighten me as to what is a viable sector to enter in BD.. I will take around 3crore with me and am planning to sell some of my dads land .. maybe to the value of 2crore... so Ill have a 5crore fund to start on... I'll probably take 2crore of that by starting the real estate in Sylhet.. have a small plot of land there my brothers recon we can build 15 flats there with 2crore and get a rental income of 1.5lac a month.. enough for me to live on in BD comfortably without needing to call the UK for financial help to pay the bills .. LOL! .. so I guess ill have around 3 crore to invest in other fields IA..

Guys let me know of any viaible ideas... I like to plan things.. makes me feel well prepared.