daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Philippine Forums > Social Places and Forum Issues > Sports Center

Sports Center News, photos and discussions of sports events in the Philippines and around the world.

Old March 4th, 2007, 05:16 AM   #1
IsaRic

Likes (Received): 2

MOTORSPORTS Thread

Greetings!

I dont know about you peeps, but im an avid racing fan.

Ive been following motorsports racing since i was a little kid.

F1 tops them all

...anyone else does?

Well first off, ive heard about Filipino Drivers desperately trying to land a seat to test F1 for years. Theres some great talent back there in AF3 (Asian Formula 3), namingly, youngster, Dado Pena and Tyson Sy, to achieve this goal, but lack of funding and little knowledge to local eyes i guess is keeping them from reaching the summit of motorsports. But its never been closer than today...

...well post away...if any...
IsaRic no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 4th, 2007, 05:36 AM   #2
IsaRic

Racing Profiles

Dado Pena

Driver: Dado Pena
Team: Team Goddard
Car No: 27
Car and Engine: Dallara F304/TOM'S Toyota

Personal Information:
Nationality: Filipino
Birthdate: July 7 1987
Country of Residence: Philippines
First Race: Cadet Karts
Favorite road car: BMW M3
Favorite track: Sentul
Racing Heroes: Fernando Alonso
Hobbies: Keeping fit, basketball, jet ski, motor sport computer games
Racing Ambitions: To be a Formula One driver

Sponsors: PLDT MyPad, PLDT MyDsl

Racing History:
• 2000 Philippine Cadet 65 Karts, 5th overall
• 2001 Philippine Junior KT Karts 1st Overall
• 2002 Philippine Intercon A – ICS Karts 4TH Overall
• Asian Zone Kart Champ. 1st Overall
• 2003 Formula BMW Asia Series
• 2004 Formula BMW Asia Series, Minardi Junior Driver, 6th overall
• 2004 Asian Formula Three Promotions Class, 4th overall
• 2004 Philippine National Formula Three Championship, 2nd overall
• 2005 Asian Formula Three Series, 6th overall
• 2005 Philippine National Formula Three Championship, 3rd overall

---------------------------------------------------------------

Tyson Sy

Driver: Tyson Sy
Team: Speedtech Asia
Car No: 88
Car and Engine: Dallara F304/TOM'S Toyota
speedtechasia.com

Personal Information:
Nationality: Filipino
Birthdate: October 5th 1987
Country of Residence: Philippines
First Race: 1999
Favorite road car: Mitsubishi Evo
Favorite track: Batangas
Racing Heroes: Michael Schumacher
Hobbies: Keeping fit, basketball, shopping
Racing Ambitions: To race in F1
Sponsors: San Miguel Corporation, Demvels, Petron

Racing History:
• 1999: Philippine Shell Cadet Series, 3rd Overall
• 2000: Philippine Shell Cadet 60 Series, 1st Overall
• 2001: Philippine Shell Cadet 85 Series, 1st Overall
• Philippine Shell Junior KT, 2nd Overall
• 2002: Philippines Intercon A ICS, 3rd Overall
• 2003: Philippines Shell Open Class, 2nd Overall
Formula BMW Asia, Rookie Class 2nd overall, 6th overall classification
• 2004: Formula BMW Asia, 5th overall classification
• 2004: Asian Formula Three Promotions Class, 1st overall
• 2004: Philippine National Formula Three Championship, 1st overall
• 2005: Asian Formula Three Series, 4th overall
Old March 4th, 2007, 05:37 AM   #3
IsaRic

FilipinA's in Racing (OLD ARTICLE)

September 20th, 2006 by Marc

I’ve been sadly deficient in my coverage of the Asian Formula Three Series both here and the other place. After the cancellation of the Indonesian rounds last month due to “unforeseen commercial reasons” (whatever that means) the Series returns this week to Sentul Indonesia for 6 rounds of action.

Never one to shy away from highlighting the distaff side of racing or posting a few cheesecake images this weeks AF3 events offers the best of both worlds. The best lady drivers of Philippine racing, Michele Bumgarner (upper left) and Gaby dela Merced (below left), renew their rivalry in AF3’s Promotions Class.

Michele, at age 23, has amassed an impressive resume that includes both Philippine National and Asian karting success. She captured the Asian Intercontinental Junior Karting Championship in 2003 and the Open Class in 2004, in addition to being a multiple winner of the National title at her home track in Carmona Philippines. (10 miles from my homestead if anyone cares) Michele and brother Mark also competed in the Italian Margutti Cup with their Open Class karts this past April.

This year, thanks to AF3 Team Goddard, she stepped up to the AF3 Series and became the first female driver to post a win in the series when she won the Promotions Class in her Series debut at the Batangas Racing Circuit (BRC) Philippines last May.

The biggest Bumgarner story is she’s headed to North America in 2007. She will be driving for the newly formed Mandeville-Deas Team in the Formula Atlantic series.

Gaby dela Merced is the older of the two racing divas and has competed in the Philippines since the early eighties. First in the local Slalom Championship where she won the Ladies Championship in 2001 with 3rd overall placing in both the 2002 and 2003 seasons.

Also in ‘03 dela Merced finished 3rd overall in the Philippine BRC Production Touring Car Championship and 2nd overall in the Philippine Petron GP Touring Car Series Production Class. 2004 saw her finish 3rd overall in the Philippine Formula Toyota Championship and was named as a Formula BMW Asia Scholarship Driver.

As intimated earlier, Bumgarner and dela Merced renew a rivalry that started with Michele’s first win and continued at Zhuhai in July when they had a little “get together” at the start. Bumgarner currently leads dela Merced by 5 points in the Philippine Natonal Drivers Championship.

This week at Sentul presents a unique challenge to all the drivers. With the previous event moved to this week they will contest 6 rounds vice the normal 3 over the course of five days.

Tuesday’s scheduled first practice went off without a hitch with Filipino Dado Pena setting the fastest time three tenths quicker than three drivers. Amazingly James Winslow, Henri Karjalainen and Ali Jackson all set the identical practice times.

Gaby dela Merced threw down the gauntlet to her rival setting fast time in the Promotions Class by besting Bumgarner by 7 tenths of a second. Bumgarner had the third quickest time with Satrio Hermanto sandwiched (hold the snarky comments, they’re reserved for me) between the two racing divas.

Wednesday will see the second day of practice prior to qualifying and the first two races on Thursday afternoon.

Yea! You go Girls!
Old March 4th, 2007, 05:38 AM   #4
ryanr
Registered non-User

Likes (Received): 11

F1 fan here (specifically McLaren). I dont follow racing in the Philippines but i have heard of Enzo Pastor and Tyson Sy...but thats just about it.
ryanr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 05:47 AM   #5
Louman

Likes (Received): 0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK6Y6iPlU3M

Where was this in Batangas? I can't seem to find it in Google Earth....
Louman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 05:48 AM   #6
bagel
Member, Winifred Fan Club

Likes (Received): 33

it would seem to me that filipinos would do well in races like the WRC Rally series, what with the quality of some of our roads and the craziness of our traffic.

I am the original thread killer.
bagel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 05:49 AM   #7
ryanr
Registered non-User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louman View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK6Y6iPlU3M

Where was this in Batangas? I can't seem to find it in Google Earth....
I found it. Its still in low resolution near Rosario

Quote:
Originally Posted by boybaha View Post
it would seem to me that filipinos would do well in races like the WRC Rally series, what with the quality of some of our roads and the craziness of our traffic.
true. Also the fact that the Philippines has a lot of back roads and dirt paths in the rural areas.
Old March 4th, 2007, 05:52 AM   #8
IsaRic

you guys should check out youtube for racing video highlights.

Ive heard that racing is big around Subic/Batangas area...

Batangas Race Circuit is the only venue they race at there in the Philippines.
Old March 4th, 2007, 05:58 AM   #9
IsaRic

Photos

C/O Parc Cruz from Flickr.com

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

p.s. can anyone locate where this was held? the background with the buildings?
Old March 4th, 2007, 06:00 AM   #10
IsaRic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyX View Post
F1 fan here (specifically McLaren). I dont follow racing in the Philippines but i have heard of Enzo Pastor and Tyson Sy...but thats just about it.
Im a Ferrari Fan.

Schumacher just retired last year and he will be missed A legend indeed.

I also like Kimi
Old March 4th, 2007, 06:01 AM   #11
Louman

That bridge looks familiar.. Is that Mall of Asia?
Louman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 06:04 AM   #12
IsaRic

Quote:
i can just imagine the time a filipino lands a seat in F1. Would it be as big as Pacquiao? lol...

...anyways ...neighboring country Malaysia, holds a race in Sepang in the F1 schedule.

Maybe in 10-20 years time its feasable for a Modern Filipino Track... once the Economy gets bigger and better ...maybe?
Old March 4th, 2007, 06:05 AM   #13
bagel
Member, Winifred Fan Club

Likes (Received): 33

i'm glad schumi retired. i want someone else to start winning. preferably in mclaren colors.

hey in those pics above, is that MOA? and in one of those pics with the yellow car passing the two women with umbrellas--- the woman on the right, medyo sakang siya.

I am the original thread killer.
bagel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 06:11 AM   #14
IsaRic

[QUOTE=boybaha;12001467]i'm glad schumi retired. i want someone else to start winning. preferably in mclaren colors.
QUOTE]

Schumi shoulda won the Championship, it was just superior bad luck that his engine let go... Next Season i hope Kimi comes over to take Schumi's place along with Massa

...oh yeah, i hate Alonso
Old March 4th, 2007, 06:48 AM   #15
ryanr
Registered non-User

[QUOTE=IsaRic;12001508]
Quote:
i'm glad schumi retired. i want someone else to start winning. preferably in mclaren colors.
QUOTE]

Schumi shoulda won the Championship, it was just superior bad luck that his engine let go... Next Season i hope Kimi comes over to take Schumi's place along with Massa
Well it was about time he got bad luck. After winning 7 WDC, he is very lucky (and yes, i admit skilled).
I'd like to see Alonso win for McLaren this year (making him one of a select few to win three WDC in a row). Then Kimi the follow year because even though he moved to Ferrari, he deserves a title.

@ boybaha - well, Alonso has been winning (won the last two WDC, so its not all Schumi recently).

Where was that race? it looks like Roxas Blvd. Was it an actual race or just and exhibition?
Old March 4th, 2007, 08:26 AM   #16
BoNduRanT

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaRic View Post
i can just imagine the time a filipino lands a seat in F1. Would it be as big as Pacquiao? lol...

...anyways ...neighboring country Malaysia, holds a race in Sepang in the F1 schedule.

Maybe in 10-20 years time its feasable for a Modern Filipino Track... once the Economy gets bigger and better ...maybe?

I do! I do! I loooooooooove Formula 1, same with GreyX, I've always been a Mclaren fan.

Anyway, about a Filipino in F1, I dont think it would be as big as Pacquiao. We have to consider that pinoys are not really kin into racing, sa tingin ko, Pinoy racing fans are more from the upper class and quite from the mid-class, yung mga masa, di sila masyadong familiar.

As much as WE pinoy fans want an F1 race to be held here, I dont think it will happen within or after the next 20 years, Ecclestone wanted a 20 race calendar but most teams says its too costly, 17 or 16 lang ata kaya from now and lahat meron na and madami pa nakapila like India, Quatar, Russia and Singapore, even South Africa. And most racing venues on the calendar are so significant na di basta basta puwede tanggalin at palitan. Consider din yung mga duration ng mga contracts ng racing venue's, most likely per contract consist of 5-7 years. Pero anything can happen, if some Pinoys are very ambitious in putting a race here, they have to provide a venue (and revenue-mukhang pera naman si Bernie eh )better than that of Malaysia and China, at ang pinakaimportante sa lahat, they have to convince and impress Ecclestone.
BoNduRanT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 08:31 AM   #17
BoNduRanT

Those F3 pictures showing MOA, I think was part of the events of last years Philippine leg of the Asian Festival of Speed. Parang demo run sila from Roxas Boulevard ata all the way to MOA? Di ko sure pero I saw and heard something like that, di ko kasi masyadong sinusundan mga ganung formula kasi boring and the coverage is bad.

Theres also a pinoy driver who has been successful on some international racing series, Angelo Barretto, I think he raced a BMW on a GT series. He did some commercials for PLDT a few years ago.

Last edited by BoNduRanT; March 4th, 2007 at 08:43 AM.
Old March 4th, 2007, 08:33 AM   #18
IsaRic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoNduRanT View Post
Those F3 pictures showing MOA, I think was part of the events of last years Philippine leg of the Asian Festival of Speed. Parang demo run sila from Roxas Boulevard ata all the way to MOA? Di ko sure pero I saw and heard something like that, di ko kasi masyadong sinusundan mga ganung formula kasi boring and the coverage is bad.
do they show/broadcast the full length of races for the AF3 series?
Old March 4th, 2007, 08:48 AM   #19
BoNduRanT

Yeah, on star sports, Asian Festival of Speed but I see them most of the time on motoring shows on tv, just excerpts.
Old March 4th, 2007, 02:52 PM   #20
sugarboy
Talonggo gid ya!

In Memoriam : Dodjie Laurel

Dodjie Laurel made the Philippines proud in the 1960s being a two time winner of the Macau Grand Prix. Unfortunately tragedy struck in 1967 when Dodjie Laurel lost control of his Lotus 41, at Yacht Club Bend (now known as Mandarin Bend), and slammed hard into the sea-front wall alongside the track. The Lotus overturned and, with a full load of fuel on board, immediately burst into flames, trapping Laurel underneath. Emergency services sprang into action, but to no avail; Laurel died instantly from the impact.

Farewell Dodjie. You will always be the best Filipino racer as far as we recall.
sugarboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
pinoy