SkyscraperCity Forum banner

PARIS | Metro

3M views 8K replies 522 participants last post by  Hourdel 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)

See less See more
#1,083 ·
Unfortunely by 2010, the mouton style will be gone. :(
I alos miss the 70's blue of Opera station, it was maybe ugly and dated but original I would prefer a renovation with new blue title.

Other stations are a way better in white than with the Mouton style, the orange Gare de l'Est was ugly and dark.
Now in white and grey with white and blue lighting, it is better and look safer.

#1,089 ·
PARIS METRO QUIZ OVER

Well the big quiz is over (thank the Dieu for that I hear some of you cry - apologies to those of you who were bored of the thing!!)

But the person who correctly analysed the most number the stations that had been renamed on the map was......(pause for effect & drumroll)

FALUBAZ

He submitted 83 entries and only two did not match my (somewhat warped) reasoning (although one of those was actually cleverer than my initial thoughts), so the cheeky Pole is the clear winner!

He'll be getting a signed copy of "Paris Underground - The Maps, Stations and Design of the Metro" (hopefully before Christmas if I get my skates on down to La Poste!).

So huge congratulations to him and big thanks to everyone else who entered.

And for all of you on here who love the Metro, do PLEASE buy or ask someone else to buy the book for you this Noel! It'll be the best £10 you spend this season - for hundreds of maps, many not seen in decades, rare photo's and the first ever complete history of the Paris Metro design from signage to architecture, cartography to typography!

Go on treat yerself!
(http://www.amazon.com/Paris-Underground-Stations-Design-Metro/dp/0143116398)

(And huge thanks to the rest of you for tolerating me posting all this stuff I know it's shameless self-promotion but it's a pretty specialized topic and we freelance author types need all the help we can get!!!)

#1,091 ·
Wow, thanks, Mark! That's great gift for Christmass! And i had lotsa fun guessing the new names given by you and learnt really a lot of Paris Metro during that time. Can't wait to read that book!

Cheers!

#1,092 · (Edited)
extention.
Mairie des Lilas to Rosny-Bois-Perrier

Two possibilities
-(Red) 6 km and 5 stations
Liberte
Place Carnot
Hopital Nord
La Boissiere
Rosny-Bois-Perrier

-(Orange) 5.5 km and 6 stations
Liberte
Place Carnot
Hopital Nord
La Boissiere
Londeau-Domus
Rosny-Bois-Perrier

http://www.stif.info/IMG/pdf/STIF_-_Prolongement_de_la_ligne_11.pdf

PS: Considering that they had project to extend the line 11 even further in 1929, we are suriously in late.

#1,093 ·
LINE 11

It's great that they are finally proposing to get this work started - though as a regular on Ligne 11, it's easy to see that its pretty full already by the time it comes down the hill from Lilas towards Republique!

I wonder if they will put new trains on and increase the headway so that everyone from the original older stations will still be able to get on when trains are full of people from the new areas to be served!?!

#1,099 ·
I wonder if they will put new trains on and increase the headway so that everyone from the original older stations will still be able to get on when trains are full of people from the new areas to be served!?!
The headway is already quite good with less than 110s at peak hours.
Of course there will be new trains, as the MP59 are Paris oldest trains. When they will be withdrawn from line 4 in 2010-2011 (replaced by the MP89 coming from line 1) line 11 will be the only one to have a more than 40 years old rolling stock. The new rolling stock will have 5 carriages instead of 4 today.

#1,094 ·
M11 extension? Finally!
But i always couldnt understand, when visiting Paris, why the heck the line 11 wasnt built past Chatalet, to the south-west.

#1,095 ·
Strangely enough I was thinking exactly the same thing today when I got off at Chatelet on Ligne 11 and looked down the (quite long) tunnel where the trains park and swap back onto the outbound line.

It would be so useful if it headed south-west under the Seine and over to somewhere like Solferino/Varenne/Ecole Militaire/Tour Eiffel etc

:)

#1,096 ·
If the line 11 is not extended in the south-west it is because there is no need of it.
It is very expensive to build a subway line under Central Paris, imagine if it is for a very low number of passengers.

To have a new subway line in the 7th arrondissement we need to seriously increase the number of jobs of this area because the ridership of the stations here is quite low.
I never understand why they keep Varenne open, closing it to increase the speed between Montparnasse and Saint Lazare would be a good idea.

#1,100 ·
MarkO: completely off-topic, but since you were the first to invade this thread anyway ;) : is there any update of your Metro Maps of the World in the making? I've got the Dutch (translated) edition from 2006 - it's amazing to see how much the metro landscape has changed in just four years. Would be nice to see that reflected in an update of your book! :)

#1,104 ·
I was in Paris tram line in december, don't know if it can fit in this thread actually, anyway. I went out from exhibition at Porte de Versailles and took tram to université stop. It was lightly rainy and windy. First, I had to go to metro station to pick-up ticket because I did not notice any selling place on surface, had to make 30 minutes line because only one machine was wroking on 3. Crazy. Then I took tram, new, nice but very packed with people. There was a stop going uphill. Imagine, tram could not start at all, engines were not powerful enough. Tram had to go backwards, and tried to speed up to cross the crossroad when light was really red... We went dangerously through automobile traffic. We lost in the adventure 15 more minutes... I hope they will solve this problem of power, this is very unprofessional...

Have you ever had such problem too?

#1,110 ·
I saw this video earlier in the thread and posted it on another site and was told that it may have been doctored because Line 1 only runs at 105 second headways at rush hour, not 90 seconds. Has it been doctored, was it a test, was it to make up for a gap in service? Or does Line 1 run at 90 second headways after all?

#1,112 ·
I saw this video earlier in the thread and posted it on another site and was told that it may have been doctored because Line 1 only runs at 105 second headways at rush hour, not 90 seconds. Has it been doctored, was it a test, was it to make up for a gap in service? Or does Line 1 run at 90 second headways after all?
There is a cut at 3:00. So we don't see how much time passed between the 2nd and 3rd train. The 98 s between the 1st and 2nd train as well as the 85 s bet the 3rd and the 4th, however, seem to be real.
That still no proof that the time-tabled headway is shorter than 105 s.