daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > Southern Africa > South Africa > Regional Development and Discussion > KwaZulu-Natal > Durban > Projects

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 13th, 2010, 04:07 PM   #1
dysan1
More development

Likes (Received): 352

#Hillcrest Private Hospital - 3F - Assagay, Durban

Big new hospital to service the growing Hillcrest area developed and run by the same guys that opened the eThekwini Hospital and Heart Centre in Riverhorse Valley.

Architects: BVA (Basil Vogas)

http://www.bva.co.za/index.php?optio...tid=6&Itemid=6

Sponsored Links

Old February 13th, 2010, 04:56 PM   #2
GregPz
Explore

Likes (Received): 53

From what I've seen this looks close to completion, although I heard there's been some problems which are causing delays.
Old February 13th, 2010, 05:06 PM   #3
dysan1
More development

i have a whole bunch of other photos to upload. Yes very near completion. Delays mainly due to services to site (water, electricity) and problems with the drainage systems. That has now been sorted.
Old May 11th, 2010, 07:31 PM   #4
dysan1
More development

this one hit a snag...developers are wanting to sell it, run out of money and its only half built...eish...
Old May 12th, 2010, 11:19 AM   #5
romanSA

Likes (Received): 218

According to a report a few weeks ago, a new funder has come to the party and constructions has re-commenced.
romanSA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2010, 03:01 PM   #6
PP Girls

Likes (Received): 0

Photo's please... and who are the developers/ constractors working on this one?
PP Girls no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2010, 10:37 AM   #7
alvintee

Unfinished hospital gets go-ahead

03 Nov 2010

An unfinished hospital in Hillcrest, intended to serve about 300 000 KwaZulu-Natal residents, will finally be completed after the developers, JT Ross have secured the funding to complete the R450-million facility.

The partially completed hospital will be opened in the middle of next year.

The hospital in Kassier Road near the Farmers’ Market was commissioned by a group of private investors in 2008 but the project came to a halt when the investors realised that they would lose a lot of money if the hospital failed.

Meanwhile residents in the area complained about the incomplete structure that had become a haven for vagrants who sheltered there.

The 200-bed Hillcrest Private Hospital was the first full medical facility to service the Outer West areas of eThekwini.

Lilian Develing, representative for the Hillcrest Ratepayers’ Association has welcomed the news that the hospital will go ahead but has expressed concern about plans for the disposal of sewage from the facility.

However, Glen Passmore, divisional director of JY Ross says that plans are in place for the construction of a sewage treatment plant on the site and says that the authorities have already approved these plans.

Meanwhile government has announced that billions of rands will be invested in upgrading hospitals throughout the country ahead of the planned introduction of the National Health Insurance scheme in 2012.

South African hospitals have gradually deteriorated throughout the country seemingly because hospital administrators do not have the funds to maintain them properly amid accusations from doctors and nurses that inefficiency and poor management are actually to blame.
alvintee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2010, 11:41 AM   #8
dysan1
More development

great to hear. was stalled for a long time and is a much needed facility.

And welcome to the boards!
Old November 10th, 2010, 01:50 PM   #9
alvintee

thanks dysan1 i do enjoy forums
alvintee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2011, 11:11 PM   #10
dysan1
More development

I hear the place is open now? Do we know who is operating it?
Old June 21st, 2011, 12:42 PM   #11
romanSA

Not open, to my knowledge. Final fitting in progress. Operational date is 1 July 2011, to my knowledge.
Old June 21st, 2011, 01:04 PM   #12
ToxicBunny
BOFH Extraordinaire

Likes (Received): 52

Yeah, from what I know not open yet either.. but they have been doing staff recruiment etc for a few months already though.
ToxicBunny no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2011, 01:29 PM   #13
romanSA

It's a 200 bed hospital and opens July 1, 2011:

http://www.hillcresthospital.co.za/
Old June 21st, 2011, 02:14 PM   #14
dysan1
More development

it doesnt appear to be part of any of the big groups? the area really needs a hospital though
Old June 21st, 2011, 02:41 PM   #15
ToxicBunny
BOFH Extraordinaire

Likes (Received): 52

From my understanding its being managed by a division of JT Ross... (odd I know, but still)
ToxicBunny no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2011, 04:20 PM   #16
romanSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysan1 View Post
it doesnt appear to be part of any of the big groups? the area really needs a hospital though
There is already a 175 bed hospital in Hillcrest built in 1928 (in Hospital Road, near all the malls) although it's a state facility (http://www.kznhealth.gov.za/hillcresthospital.htm). Just to confuse matters, it's called Hillcrest Hospital (vs the new one, which is called Hillcrest Private Hospital; why the new one couldn't be called Assagay Hospital is beyond me, given that it's not in Hillcrest but 4-5 kms away in Assagay). Methinks you need to change the title of this thread, Mike, lest the new hospital gets confused with its older namesake.
Old June 21st, 2011, 04:32 PM   #17
GregPz
Explore

Likes (Received): 53

The government hospital is more like a retirement facility. It sits on a large piece of land close to the centre of town which must be worth a quiet a bit. Often wondered why they haven't sold off a portion and used the proceeds to upgrade the hospital.
Old June 21st, 2011, 04:44 PM   #18
dysan1
More development

Owned by JT ROSS?? Me thinks i would seriously check the credentials of the people running this place before letting anyone take me near it!
Old June 21st, 2011, 05:05 PM   #19
romanSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregPz View Post
The government hospital is more like a retirement facility. It sits on a large piece of land close to the centre of town which must be worth a quiet a bit. Often wondered why they haven't sold off a portion and used the proceeds to upgrade the hospital.
Yebo. In fact, it does have a higher number of geriatric patients than other state hospitals because of its special focus areas: chronic care nursing and occupational therapy in the main facilities, and rehabilitation and chronic care in its tiny outpatient clinic. Thus not a general hospital like King Edward, RK Khan, or Addington.
Old June 22nd, 2011, 11:37 AM   #20
SA BOY
back in the real world

Likes (Received): 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysan1 View Post
Owned by JT ROSS?? Me thinks i would seriously check the credentials of the people running this place before letting anyone take me near it!
developed and built by I would assume. They have a asset management company and are only interested in what they know which is the front end of the buildings life. It would be managed by a medical company just like hotels, office blocks etc.

Would you work in a building if the owners were say the ANCYL pension fund? or stay in a hotel owned by say the zimbabwe government investment vehicle as both exist and both own these sorts of things on SA.

You cant judge a book by who own the asset but rather by who operates it