daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States Urban Issues > West Coast and Interior West

West Coast and Interior West Includes CA, OR, WA, HI, AK, AZ, NM, NV, UT, CO, WY, MT, ID and BC.

Old January 16th, 2007, 10:36 PM   #1
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 101

San Diego Development News

...continued from the previous thread.

A link to the old thread:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=377859
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 17th, 2007, 01:48 AM   #2
sd_urban

Likes (Received): 1

May as well start this thread off on a positive note

Check out what the Irvine Company has in store for the lot next to OAP, aka Two America Plaza. Given the company's deep pockets and prime location of the site, let's hope it's design will be truly iconic.

From today's Orange County Business Journal -

Irvine Co. Building San Diego Office Tower

By Mark Mueller

Orange County Business Journal Staff

The Irvine Company said Tuesday it plans to build an office tower in downtown San Diego. Construction could start as early as next year and take two and a half years to complete, the company said. An architect hasn’t been named yet.

The land for the tower was bought from high-rise condominium developer Bosa Development Corp. earlier this month, for undisclosed terms. The site already is zoned for office space from a previous owner of the property, the company said.

The building site has a development agreement that allows for a maximum height of 480 feet. A total size for the project hasn’t been announced. The tower could be 35 stories or so.

The Irvine Co. already owns six office towers in downtown San Diego, following a buying spree last year that saw it acquire the city’s preeminent tower, One America Plaza.
sd_urban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 03:19 AM   #3
mongozx
Pipe Layer

Likes (Received): 8

Great news. Maybe Irvine Co. can be a catalyst for office towers as Bosa has been for condos? I'm wondering where exactly the site is though. Is it the lot where the OAP underground parking is or the big empty lot across the street towards the Embarcadero?

As for the Chargers. . .

DONT EVEN BRING EM UP!
mongozx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 03:23 AM   #4
derek5
San Diegan for life

Likes (Received): 0

thats good news!
Old January 17th, 2007, 08:17 AM   #5
bushman61988

Yea, that's good news that they're building another office tower in downtown, and a tall one at that. The only thing about that that kinda sucks a little is it's probably right in front of One America Plaza and will block out views...but no matter, hopefully it'll be a real purtty tower.
bushman61988 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 10:02 AM   #6
hngcm

Likes (Received): 2

I'm guessing that's the site where One & Two Santa Fe Place would be?
hngcm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 06:30 PM   #7
bushman61988

Yep, it looks like this is One Santa Fe Place...or at least it's the exact location of where these towers were suppose to be when they were proposed in 2002.

Hopefully it'll look something like these beauties...

I just hope they dont build the 2nd tower to the right...we have too many twin-type towers in Downtown San Diego.
Old January 17th, 2007, 06:32 PM   #8
bushman61988

By the way, i think dont think the renderings are entirely accurate, because the towers are suppose to be directly across from One America Plaza, and there's no way that they could be that far apart from OAP...In fact, i believe in order to get a view like that of Broadway and downtown, you would have to be on the bay.

Last edited by bushman61988; January 17th, 2007 at 08:28 PM. Reason: multiple posts
Old January 17th, 2007, 07:32 PM   #9
sd_urban

Yeah, something like that would be nice

At first, I thought it was the Two America Plaza site next to the trolley tunnel at OAP, but it's actually that big, empty lot on Broadway. As you said, it will be right in front of OAP which happens to be my favorite tower in the skyline. Oh well, I trust that Irvine will goe balls out and give us something just as spectacular. At least we know this one won't have any balconies

Here's a more detailed article from today's U-T -

Irvine Co. buys key site in downtown San Diego

Building office high-rise could begin in mid-2008

By Mike Freeman
STAFF WRITER
January 17, 2007

The Irvine Co., downtown San Diego's largest office landlord, has purchased a prime development site for a major new tower.

The Orange County real estate giant bought the roughly 1.5-acre site at the northeast corner of Broadway and Pacific Highway from Canadian condominium developer Nat Bosa. Irvine paid $60 million for the land, according to county deed records.

Irvine could build a tower 480 feet tall – nearly as tall as the 34-story One America Plaza. The maximum square footage of the structure could exceed 650,000, based on current regulations.

For now, Irvine isn't providing details about its plans, other than to say construction could begin as early as mid-2008 and could take more than two years to complete.

“We intend to construct a high-quality, classic and distinctive high-rise that will be a beautiful addition to the city's downtown skyline and to its continued economic resurgence,” said Charles Black, Irvine's senior vice president for San Diego.

If The Irvine Co. moves ahead, it could boost the competition for Douglas Manchester's Pacific Gateway project at the foot of Broadway and Harbor Drive. As part of an agreement to build a new office building for the Navy, Manchester has development rights to construct more than 1 million square feet of offices on the 14-acre site. He also can built condo hotels and retail.

But since he must complete the Navy office building, for free, before going forward with other development, Manchester would probably finish his offices after Irvine completed its tower.

And the competition from a rival, nearby office building could make Manchester's offices more difficult to get started, according to real estate experts.

“Both have great sites,” said Kraig Kristofferson, a broker with CB Richard Ellis. “My thought is there is probably a better chance that Irvine could go forward with a 'spec' project – just because they could pay for it in cash – while probably any lender is going to want 50 percent pre-leasing. And that will be a difficult task at the rental rates that will be needed to justify new construction.”

For his part, Manchester said yesterday that he welcomed Irvine's proposed high-rise. The more new, top-quality office buildings constructed downtown, the better the chances the city's core will attract corporate headquarters and other tenants that now mostly locate in the suburbs, he said.

Over the past couple of years, The Irvine Co. has made a major bet on downtown San Diego, spending nearly $1 billion to buy six top-quality office towers, including One America Plaza, Symphony Towers and Wells Fargo Plaza. This will be its first development in the city's core.

The company, which rarely sells real estate, is one of California's largest landlords. Run by Donald Bren, the company is a major force in Orange County. It has a reputation for paying top dollar for its properties, accumulating enough buildings to dominate a market, then boosting rents.

Irvine didn't change its stripes with this latest purchase. At $60 million, Irvine is paying nearly $100 a buildable foot for the land.

“That's a rich price,” said Jason Hughes, co-owner of tenant broker Irving Hughes. “It's probably a record price to date for land” for an office building in San Diego.

The two new office buildings recently constructed downtown, Rob Lankford's Broadway 655 and Cisterra Partners' Diamondview Tower, have land costs equivalent to $25 to about $35 per square foot, say real estate experts.

But The Irvine Co. sees a bright future for downtown San Diego that justifies the price.

“There has been a remarkable transformation in the last several years,” said Jennifer Hieger, an Irvine spokeswoman. “That transformation has been centered in residential and amenities, such as the ballpark.

“The office sector is really the last piece of that transformation, in our minds. We believe it is just now getting under way. Our expectation is that, over time, there will be more interest from a wider array of companies in downtown.”

The company plans to hire an internationally respected architect to design a building that adds “beauty and drama” to the city's skyline, Irvine said in a statement.

Bosa, the developer of several condo projects downtown, had been encouraged by the city's downtown redevelopment agency to build offices on the site. Now that Irvine plans to do just that, Bosa said that should satisfy the redevelopment agency's concerns that too much downtown land was being developed into condos.

“I think it's great for San Diego,” Bosa said. “You have a company that is sterling doing it. They're not going to cut corners.

“This will be one of Donald Bren's flagships. He has a lot of them, but this one has to be way up there.”
Old January 18th, 2007, 01:03 AM   #10
derek5
San Diegan for life

sweet!! its about time those parking lots and what not get taken care of!
Old January 18th, 2007, 04:19 AM   #11
SDfan

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushman61988 View Post
By the way, i think dont think the renderings are entirely accurate, because the towers are suppose to be directly across from One America Plaza, and there's no way that they could be that far apart from OAP...In fact, i believe in order to get a view like that of Broadway and downtown, you would have to be on the bay.
I think the renderings are just that way to enhance the buildings. I mean if they showed how close they were to OAP and the other structures it would take your eye away from what you're supposed to be looking at. But I can tell you that they are in the right spot, realistically. They just needed a way to get them out in the open by themselves.
Old January 19th, 2007, 03:17 AM   #12
sd_urban

While in downtown the other day, I noticed some new projects had been added to the CCDC mini model

16th & G Gateway (East Village):

-Mixed-Use (Residential/retail/office)
-577,300 square feet
-3 to 35 stories
-50 to 449 feet

On the far east side of downtown, next to the freeway.

The blue tower is India & Beech (Little Italy)

-Mixed-use (Residential/retail/office)
-93,055 square feet (this is a skinny tower, but look how it covers Allegro's backside )
-28 stories
-312 feet

Bottom right blue tower is that crazy Solara Tower(Cortez Hill)

-Mixed-Use (Retail/residential)
-257,125 square feet
-23 stories
-264 feet

Old January 19th, 2007, 03:26 AM   #13
sd_urban

I scanned this from this week's SD Business Journal. I'm glad this isn't the final design because nothing about it say "Wow" to me, especially if it's going to be right on the waterfront. Is that another twin-tower block I see??

Old January 19th, 2007, 11:44 AM   #14
hngcm

Likes (Received): 2

anybody got a shot of how Aria compares to its surroundings?

Its going up fast.
hngcm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 02:32 PM   #15
mongozx
Pipe Layer

Likes (Received): 8

I'm too lazy to find the article online but the U-T had an article in the business section about Irvine Co. hiring World Class Architect IM Pei to design the office tower next to One America Plaza. Pretty cool huh?
mongozx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 06:54 PM   #16
octosd

Exclamation Put a link on the old thread to the new one

Hey is there anyway to put a link on the old thread to the new one. Everytime we close the old thread it takes me a few days to figure out its closed. I just figured out that the little closed symbol on the top left tells you that. I have been on for about a year. I am sure there are newer users who do not understand the system. So if anyone can post a link to the new thread I think that would help.
Old January 19th, 2007, 09:06 PM   #17
sd_urban

Not sure how to access or modify archived threads, but the first post in this thread has a link to all of the previous SD Development Threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongozx
I'm too lazy to find the article online but the U-T had an article in the business section about Irvine Co. hiring World Class Architect IM Pei to design the office tower next to One America Plaza. Pretty cool huh?
That is WAY cool! Hopefully, the Manchester gang will wake up and realize that their adjacent NBC proposal is anything but a world class design as it is now.

Here's the article:

TOP ARCHITECT MAY DESIGN S.D. TOWER

The Irvine Co. talking to Pei Cobb on high-rise

By Mike Freeman and Roger Showley
U-T STAFF WRITERS
January 19, 2007

The Irvine Co. is in talks with award-winning international architects Pei Cobb Freed & Partners to design a new high-rise in downtown San Diego – perhaps signaling the company's intention to add a landmark tower to the city's skyline.

While the Orange County real estate giant has not signed a contract with Pei Cobb – the firm founded by legendary architect I.M. Pei – it has engaged the firm to prepare preliminary drafts.

“We have been working with Pei Cobb on a conceptual design for the building and we are hopeful, after further work and study, that we will be able to hire the firm for the final design,” said Jennifer Hieger, an Irvine spokeswoman.

Pei Cobb officials did not return calls seeking comment. But the New York-based firm's Web site on Wednesday listed a site at 700 Broadway in San Diego as a project “in progress.” The firm removed the project from its Web site yesterday after being contacted by The San Diego Union-Tribune.

Irvine Co. recently purchased 1.5 acres on the northeast corner of Broadway and Pacific Highway. The property, just west of the Santa Fe Depot, is in the 700 block of West Broadway.

I.M. Pei and the firm he founded more than 50 years ago have designed many notable projects around the world and received numerous awards and honors. They include the John F. Kennedy Library in Boston, the glass pyramids at the Louvre in Paris and the East Building of the National Gallery in Washington, D.C. The firm is known for sophisticated – and sometimes controversial – designs.

Pei, who will turn 90 in April, officially retired from the firm in 1990, although he continued to design projects – including the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland.

Local architects said having Pei Cobb as a possible designer of the building could signal Irvine's aim to construct a dramatic tower that would join One America Plaza as a signature high-rise on the city's skyline.

“This is a chance for us to possibly have an icon on the waterfront,” said Mike Wilkes, a principal in Architects Delawie, Wilkes, Rodrigues and Barker. “If you look around the world, most cities have these icons. In San Francisco, it's the Transamerica building. Wouldn't it be great if we could have that kind of icon in San Diego?”

Designing a standout tower in the city's core is tricky, however, because downtown's proximity to Lindbergh Field limits towers to 500 feet, said Paul Schroeder, president of the San Diego Chapter of the American Institute of Architects.

“San Diego has an interesting skyline, but the buildings have height limits on them, so it doesn't have the vertical mix that you see” in other cities, he said.

Pei Cobb has not worked with Irvine Co. before. Although Irvine Co. owns some architecturally interesting buildings, such as Fox Plaza in Century City, it usually buys them rather than building them from the ground up.

The towers it does build tend to be in suburban markets and therefore aren't showcases to a city's skyline.

But Irvine Co. has made a big bet on the future of downtown San Diego. It has paid nearly $1 billion over the past couple of years to acquire six top-quality high-rises in the city's core, including One America Plaza and Symphony Towers.

Hiring Pei Cobb would raise the stakes even further, possibly pressuring rival developers such as Douglas Manchester's Pacific Gateway project at Broadway and Harbor Drive to follow suit if they hope to attract tenants at the steep rents necessary to justify new construction.

“Pei Cobb is one of the most prominent architectural firms in the country, if not the world,” said Mike Stepner of the New School of Architecture and Design in San Diego. “The quality of their work is always very high. I think sometimes we haven't demanded the highest quality for buildings downtown. And if this sets the standard, that's great.”

If Pei Cobb wins the Irvine Co. building, it would join a relatively short list of internationally recognized firms that have designed prominent buildings in San Diego in the past 50 years. They include Louis Kahn's Salk Institute in Torrey Pines, Jon Jerde's Horton Plaza downtown and Helmut Jahn's One America Plaza.

Another prominent architectural firm, Richard Meier & Partners, has been hired to design the new U.S. District Courthouse downtown that is scheduled to open in 2010.

Irvine Co. said construction on its high-rise could begin as early as mid-2008. The building would be completed about 2½ years later, the company said.
Old January 20th, 2007, 12:33 AM   #18
bushman61988

WOW... this is REALLY exciting to me...a WORLD-Class architect like I.M. Pei to design an office tower RIGHT on the waterfront. Now I'm expecting it to be AT LEAST as creative as the old renderings of One Santa Fe Place. It's just such a shame that the FAA couldnt allow the height limit to slide at LEAST like 50-100 feet.

That still doesn't make sense to me why the hell the height limit is 500 feet for ALL of downtown!

I'm sure a world-class architect like I.M. Pei could pursuade the FAA to consider tweaking the height limit for just this once, on the most prominent spot on our waterfront and skyline.

Last edited by bushman61988; January 20th, 2007 at 02:28 AM.
Old January 20th, 2007, 12:48 AM   #19
derek5
San Diegan for life

i know dude...seriously...developers should at least TRY challenging some height limits...
Old January 20th, 2007, 05:12 AM   #20
SDfan

Likes (Received): 3

The sad thing is that I think developers have been trying to get the FAA to relax the height limit, to no success. I mean the best advertisment for any developer would be "San Diego's Tallest..." And the architects know that breaking the 500' mark would be one of the most important barriers in creating a landmark tower. So I do think that someone in the industry has at least attempted to ask for a variance.

Tags
san diego