daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013)

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > Archives

Old December 23rd, 2003, 06:18 AM   #1
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 1631

#UC :X City Tunnel stack!

exclusive pic of proposed Cross City tunnel stack for Darling Harbour. It rises 61m/200ft and will sit between flyovers behind Imax.
Theres some art work to go on sides and other issues but i think it looks ok "for an exhaust stack"!
Its a triangular shape being 15m long.

Sponsored Links

Old December 23rd, 2003, 06:34 AM   #2
ParraMan
I need to know...

Likes (Received): 21

Looks like a new landmark for Darling Harbour. Good stuff!
ParraMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2003, 06:37 AM   #3
SydneyDude
me!

Likes (Received): 0

fanfuckntastic

I LOVE IT SO MUCH IT HURTS......
SydneyDude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2003, 06:38 AM   #4
nsn

Likes (Received): 4

Perhaps they could coordinate it with the black and yellow check of the Imax theatre?!

I thought at one stage the plan was to "attach" this to a building, so as not to have a tall chimney stack like this all out on its own?
Old December 23rd, 2003, 07:18 AM   #5
spazpecker

I can't believe I'm gonna say this but that's a bloody beautiful chimney stack !
I recall reading in the SMH a couple of weeks ago that there may be pressure from several inner city resident and commerical interest groups to make it upward of 80m which, given this design, would be super. Any more news on that Cul ?
spazpecker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2003, 08:25 AM   #6
walexx
© Applies to all Images

Likes (Received): 129

It might look good, but god help anyone who has to live with the crap that will be coming out of it.

The government wants it to look good so that people will forget about how much they are being poisoned from it.

I live in Earlwood and am just a few hundred metres from the M5E stack and I am really starting to feel the effects of it.

My breathing is alot heavier and I caugh all the time for no reason. I have no doubt its the direct results of the unfiltered crap pouring out if it every day.

Admire the stack all you like guys, cause yeah, it is a great design, but it will have a very lethal bite.
walexx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2003, 08:56 AM   #7
hornetfig

That picture is a bit odd as the road viaduct is being 'adjusted' as part of the works so it won't be quite so close to the Harris Street exit as shown (the carriageway with the incorrect [more correctly out of date] "To MR5: Liverpool" gantry sign)
hornetfig no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2003, 09:41 AM   #8
CULWULLA

Quote:
Originally posted by spazpecker
I can't believe I'm gonna say this but that's a bloody beautiful chimney stack !
I recall reading in the SMH a couple of weeks ago that there may be pressure from several inner city resident and commerical interest groups to make it upward of 80m which, given this design, would be super. Any more news on that Cul ?
yeah, shes a beauty! there are some design issues and it could go to 80m which would make it a real feature. The nearby Sega world will be demolished within 3 years and replaced with 3-8 storey residential bldgs which is what debate is about! its with spitting distance from the stack and the new apartments would reach 40m high, not much lower than stack so this is why it should go to 80m. i wish they could filter the air too!
Old December 23rd, 2003, 12:47 PM   #9
Fabian
Sydney: World's best city

Excellent design. It beats those M5 stacks by a long shot and makes for something nice to look at when looking at the distributor.

I also have to admit it looks like a huge scale model for a skyscraper.

Fab Sydney Flashbacks
Fabian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2003, 01:27 PM   #10
Trances
, , and , Fade to Black.

Likes (Received): 19

hhehe fabs every thing can look like a SS when you crazy like some of us
Old December 23rd, 2003, 03:22 PM   #11
Muse
Supernature

Likes (Received): 18

The X City Tunnel stack is just like a modern Chinese city scraper in its design.

An (already constructed) M5 East stack for comparison...kinda architecturally nice:

BTW Good riddance to Sega World.....

_
Muse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2003, 05:15 PM   #12
chrisaus

did sega world flop?
chrisaus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2003, 09:18 PM   #13
Fabian
Sydney: World's best city

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisaus
did sega world flop?
Yeah - it did so three years ago

Fab Sydney Flashbacks
Fabian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2003, 10:43 PM   #14
CULWULLA

i love this stack muse~! The 35m stack has "aztec" design styles and looks brilliant from a distance!

Old December 23rd, 2003, 11:02 PM   #15
spazpecker

If you're showing visitors around Sydney make sure you NEVER EVER go down to that area around Sega World. I think it's called "Harbourside walk" or something.
By all means take them to the Chinese Gardens at the southern end and take them for a beer at One World Sports at the northern end..........but never go anywhere in between...... it's a disgrace.
Here's hoping it'll be a very different place in 2-3 years time.
spazpecker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2003, 11:20 PM   #16
fro

Likes (Received): 1

Awesome design! I love it!
I also agree with Spaz about that abominable "Harbour side walk" disaster area...
fro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2003, 12:30 AM   #17
nsn

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisaus
did sega world flop?
Did it ever! I never went in there, and from what I understand that was the problem - there were too many people like me who just weren't interested enough to spend the huge amounts required for an "indoor" amusement park.

But thank God it did flop - especially if, as has been mentioned, it will be demolished in 2 - 3 years' time. The thing should never have been built. It is a monstrosity. The hideous cone thing just makes that part of Darling Harbour look like a temporary "World Expo"-style area. And then there's all the "theme" stores in the ground floor: the Rainforest Cafe, the One Sports Bar... haven't we got over theme stores yet?

This is the first I have heard that the building is being demolished. But it is great news. They should never have built over the sports facilities (tennis courts etc) that were there initially.

They can't knock it down soon enough for me.
Old December 24th, 2003, 11:48 AM   #18
Trances
, , and , Fade to Black.

Likes (Received): 19

Res buildings BOOO!
I want public space
Old December 26th, 2003, 01:06 AM   #19
MILIUX
skyscraper connoisseur

Likes (Received): 148

Quote:
Originally posted by nsn
Did it ever! I never went in there, and from what I understand that was the problem - there were too many people like me who just weren't interested enough to spend the huge amounts required for an "indoor" amusement park.

But thank God it did flop - especially if, as has been mentioned, it will be demolished in 2 - 3 years' time. The thing should never have been built. It is a monstrosity. The hideous cone thing just makes that part of Darling Harbour look like a temporary "World Expo"-style area. And then there's all the "theme" stores in the ground floor: the Rainforest Cafe, the One Sports Bar... haven't we got over theme stores yet?

This is the first I have heard that the building is being demolished. But it is great news. They should never have built over the sports facilities (tennis courts etc) that were there initially.

They can't knock it down soon enough for me.
Instead, we're gonna use that vacant land to build a zoo.
Old December 26th, 2003, 06:52 AM   #20
Galactic Ruler

Likes (Received): 271

I actually liked Sega world, I had some good nights there

One of the more interesting raves I had the pleasure of attending was in there one night... all ride operational. It was great fun running amoke all night inside Sega World.

As much as most of you hate that area... it is really what Sydney is all about... hedonism and tacky glitz, I for one will be sad to see it go... it added more dimension to the city and now the homies will have nowhere to hang other than george street cinema precinct. I hate anything that tries to make the city more gentele for god sake we aint living in europe we should be encouraging additional flavour in our cities not destroying it.

Now it will = less space for the younger generations to hang out and place added burden on other areas and into the burbs. Not everything should be about making money and private property... it is nice to have additional public space, even if it was themed and rather covered in concrete and blue glass
Avatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote