daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > West Africa > Nigeria > Urbanism related discussions > Regional Developments > South-South

Old October 13th, 2008, 12:12 AM   #1
qymekkam
Aviation Expert

Likes (Received): 9

DELTA | Asaba Airport U/C

Stats of Asaba Airport which is now 35% complete:

Single Runway. 9842 feet. Expandable to 13123 feet. (which would give it the longest runway in Nigeria)
Runway width: 200 feet
Taxiways: The runway will be surrounded by taxiways both for access to passenger terminal and the proposed cargo terminals.
Asaba is within 4 hours by air from major points in Africa and 6 hours by air from Europe and the Middle East.
Delta State is building a first class passenger terminal and airport infrastructure.
The private sector or public/private partnership will be responsible for the setting up of several independently owned cargo terminals.
Protea a leading South African Hotel group has began the construction of a hotel and conference center across from the airport, the first of many hotels that will soon appear around this airport over time.''

Last edited by qymekkam; July 15th, 2009 at 09:42 PM.
qymekkam no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 13th, 2008, 12:15 AM   #2
qymekkam
Aviation Expert

Uduaghan pledges early completion of Asaba airport
From Hendrix Oliomogbe, Asaba

AT a cost of over N7 billion, Delta State Governor Emmanuel Uduaghan yesterday promised to complete the Asaba airport project well ahead of the 24 months duration.

Uduaghan said at the foundation laying ceremony by the National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Prince Vincent Ogbulafor, that the airport, which he referred to as the star project of his administration, would be completed in 18 months.

With a three-kilometre runway, he said that the project was initially estimated at N14 billion, a sum that the government could not afford until it was scaled down to the current figure of N7 billion.

As a result of the expansion of the runway, he said that the airport would be able to accommodate big passenger and cargo planes.

He said that he decided to complete the project which was conceived by former Governor James Ibori because of so many reasons.

According to the governor, people in Asaba have to travel to neighbouring states to board aircraft and in the process, wasting several hours on the road because of the fact that that the Delta State capital does not have an airport.

With the huge eastern market just across the River Niger, he said that the project would be viable when completed.

"Asaba has been suffering from problem of no airport for a very long time. This will not be an abandoned project. Asaba is long overdue for an airport and we are determined to complete it, no matter the cost," he added.

Besides, the governor said that once the project takes off, a lot of jobs would be provided for the people, adding that this would go a long way in checking youth restiveness in the state which is very rampant because of the high rate of unemployment.

The state Deputy Governor, Prof. Amos Utuama (SAN), who is the head of the project, said that the aim of the government is to make the airport a world class.

Utuama explained that the project would go a long way in making the government to realise its dream of turning the state into the hub of economic activities in the country.

Ogbulafor commended the efforts of Uduaghan, saying it was all part of the seven-point agenda of President Umaru Musa Yar'Adua's administration.
Old October 13th, 2008, 12:38 AM   #3
Nsukka
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

The actual building looks too small. The render looks rather old, hopefully since the time that that render was made they've changed it.
Nsukka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2008, 01:34 AM   #4
qymekkam
Aviation Expert

id rather see this airport built at nearby Oba. They've started it and then left it abandoned. building it there could have saved some money. Also the Niger bridge will have more stress to it because of all the people from the Anambra region heading towards the airport.
Old October 14th, 2008, 08:14 PM   #5
friendsofthecity

Likes (Received): 83

Domestic airport in the Niger-delta region of the country is imminent. I doubt if this renderings are modern enough to meet the aspiration of the people, especially the young ones. Don`t get me wrong people.
friendsofthecity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2008, 03:54 AM   #6
Joebond

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendsofthecity View Post
Domestic airport in the Niger-delta region of the country is imminent. I doubt if this renderings are modern enough to meet the aspiration of the people, especially the young ones. Don`t get me wrong people.
There are airports in the Niger delta area - Port harcourt (domestic and int'l) and Warri have had airports for ages.

Last edited by Joebond; October 15th, 2008 at 05:39 AM.
Joebond no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2008, 11:39 AM   #7
Tbite
Expert

No Point building anything if the demand is not there. That is why the size is such. Keyword being "Economic Viability".

Thanks for the renderings and Information.
Nigeria's Military Achievements: Longest Range Vessels in Africa, Most Extensive Global Missions in Africa, Most advanced surveillance capability in Sub-Saharan Africa, Most geographically experienced Military in Africa (Familiar with almost every terrain)
Key World Cup Men: Mikel, Victor Moses, Onazi, Emenike, Enyeama, Obasi, Osaze, Omeruo, Ambrose
Tbite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2008, 08:00 PM   #8
ufookoro

Likes (Received): 2

Delta Airport Asaba

I can not see anything wrong with the airport. I am sure if the demand for more people in air travel goes up, then the Terminal will be expanded. At least, the runway can accommodate large planes
ufookoro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 05:06 AM   #9
qymekkam
Aviation Expert

the airport isn't too small and even if it is they could expand it when the need comes.
Old October 20th, 2008, 11:24 PM   #10
friendsofthecity

I thought Nigerian population is huge. And, air transport might open up a new way of transportation if well planned.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 05:09 AM   #11
qymekkam
Aviation Expert

the population is huge but you dont see everyone in Nigeria taking a plane. the only airport serving the Asaba region is Enugu airport. It has little competition yet you dont see a thriving airport. most people would rather take a bus or there own car to the destionations.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 05:12 AM   #12
qymekkam
Aviation Expert

i just noticed that the airport looks just like a supermarket. the parking lot and the building looks just like this store called Lucky's.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 11:15 PM   #13
friendsofthecity

Quote:
Originally Posted by qymekkam View Post
the population is huge but you dont see everyone in Nigeria taking a plane. the only airport serving the Asaba region is Enugu airport. It has little competition yet you dont see a thriving airport. most people would rather take a bus or there own car to the destionations.
But, we all know that the condition of the roads is not to OK.
Old October 25th, 2008, 03:30 PM   #14
ufookoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by qymekkam View Post
Air transport in Nigeria is very big because of the bad roads. Imaging travelling from Lagos to the Ughelli, my own home town taking in the region of 8 hrs. When I do travel to Nigeria and then to the delta region, I travel to Osubi Airport. I will have a choice, Asaba and Osubi. Good Eh!
Old October 26th, 2008, 11:04 AM   #15
Tbite
Expert

In Papua New Guinea they use Air transport alot

Papua New Guinea has 500 Airports which is more airports than Australia.

this is because they have a lot variation in altitude so roads are hard to build.

A good Air Transport system would be used a lot.
Nigeria's Military Achievements: Longest Range Vessels in Africa, Most Extensive Global Missions in Africa, Most advanced surveillance capability in Sub-Saharan Africa, Most geographically experienced Military in Africa (Familiar with almost every terrain)
Key World Cup Men: Mikel, Victor Moses, Onazi, Emenike, Enyeama, Obasi, Osaze, Omeruo, Ambrose
Tbite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2009, 08:07 PM   #16
qymekkam
Aviation Expert

the airport now has a website and as i expected its not all that great.

http://www.asabaairport.com/ab2.html
Old March 15th, 2009, 08:11 PM   #17
qymekkam
Aviation Expert

what the pictures dont show is that the airport will have 3 jetways and has 3 floors.
Old March 17th, 2009, 12:34 AM   #18
friendsofthecity

One thing I don't so much like about this project is the used of bricks for the construction. The purpose of this airport is a good one if well utilized to the fullest. It can save lives from the tiny heavily congested roads leading to this region, not only that aslo from inseccant theft.

Last edited by friendsofthecity; March 30th, 2009 at 09:23 PM.
Old March 30th, 2009, 04:57 AM   #19
Phoenix-Reborn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

the design is old
Phoenix-Reborn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2009, 11:42 AM   #20
ufookoro

I disagree

I think the airport being a regional airport will suite the area. An airport does not have to replicate those designs of the Far East considering the expense in maintaning them. At least, if the airport functions and is clean and run efficiently, then excellent. I say Bravo to Delta Gov. Uduaghan.

Last edited by ufookoro; March 30th, 2009 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Wording