Road Network: 1 993m
Motorway Network: 1 070m

UK:

Road Network: 847m
Motorway Network: 439m

Edit: Sorry, I forgot to put "of" between Point and Each

#2 · (Edited)
#7 ·
Weren't we shown on another thread a while ago pix from Sint-Maarten or some place?

EDIT: You posted while I was posting. That's not that bad! There must be countries, and not miniature ones like Monaco, with lowest highest points. There are certainly states in the U.S. that don't reach 320 meters.

#9 ·
^^It came to mind, yes.

#12 ·
Czech republic:

D1 motorway
max. 655 m at km 104
min. 198 m at km 370

D2 motorway
max. 197 m at km 0
min. 157 m at km 59

D5 motorway
max. 601 m at km 139
min. 230 m at km 20

D8 motorway
max. 644 m at km 90
min. 160 m at km 36

D11 motorway
max. 541 m at km 152 (planned)
min. 192 m at km 16

#15 ·
South Africa:

Highest point on the road network: the gravel road ascending Sani Pass. The top of the pass (also the border with Lesotho) is at 2,874 m. Naude's Nek is the highest pass located entirely within South Africa, ~2,600 m.

Highest point on the freeway network: probably somewhere around Johannesburg, which is at 1,700 m altitude. May be wrong, but I don't think so. :)

Lowest point: around sea level (N2 in numerous places, amongst others).

#19 ·
The highest public road in Poland is in the highest situated village in Poland called Zab, at around 1120 m.

The highest paved (cobblestone) road leads to the mountain shelter at the top of mount Sniezka (which btw was once featured on a SSC banner) and reaches 1602m. It lies in a national park and only vehicles with a special permission are allowed there.

The highest motorway is A4 in the area of Opole, only around 360 m - the motorways in Poland are mostly in plains. Some expressways are definitely higher (S1 or S69) but I have no data on them.

#21 ·
Have to check all but maybe:

Motorways:

A-1: 1580m at Somosierra, in the region of Madrid

(A-2): 1220m at Alcolea del Pinar, in the region of Castilla la Mancha
(A-23): 1180m at Teruel, in the region of Aragon

Roads.... more difficult to check but considering national roads and first level of regional roads maybe it will be the C-28 in the region of Catalonia to approach Viella: 2072m

A-136 at the border with France is about 1800m in Aragon

#28 ·
Highest point of the road network in Slovakia is probably on a road 537 in Štrbské Pleso at 1 346 metres -

But I know also roads which are higher but they are not state roads -

Martinské hole, 1435 metres

Popradské Pleso, 1650 metres

and

Road to TV tower on Kráľová Hoľa at 1946 metres

Highest point on the motorway network is near Štrba at about 900 metres, village of Štrba and motorway when it was under construction -

#29 ·
Spain:

Road network: 3,367 m (GR-420 in Granada, road to the Pico Veleta)

Considering only national roads, the highest mountain pass is La Collada de Toses (Girona province) at 1,800 m. The second highest is probably the Puerto de Piqueras at 1,710 m between the provinces of Soria and La Rioja. Some years ago a tunnel was opened, so the mountain pass is not used by most traffic. But definitely the most infamous mountain pass in Spain is the Puerto de Pajares at 1,378 m, between Asturias and León. The alternative is a tolled motorway (AP-66) but it seems to be too expensive for heavy traffic.

Here is a list with the highest roads in Spain: http://www.altimetrias.net/aspbk/ListadoPuertos.asp?Tipo=comparativa1.altitud &Ord=DESC

#37 ·
Spain:

Road network: 3,367 m (GR-420 in Granada, road to the Pico Veleta)

Considering only national roads, the highest mountain pass is La Collada de Toses (Girona province) at 1,800 m. The second highest is probably the Puerto de Piqueras at 1,710 m between the provinces of Soria and La Rioja. Some years ago a tunnel was opened, so the mountain pass is not used by most traffic. But definitely the most infamous mountain pass in Spain is the Puerto de Pajares at 1,378 m, between Asturias and León. The alternative is a tolled motorway (AP-66) but it seems to be too expensive for heavy traffic.

Here is a list with the highest roads in Spain: http://www.altimetrias.net/aspbk/ListadoPuertos.asp?Tipo=comparativa1.altitud &Ord=DESC

On national roads, let's add Somport Mountains Pass in the N-330 (border to France).

It is 1640m over sea level, and European road E-07

There is a 8,1 km tunnel (toll-free... is there another so long tunnel free in Europe?) at about 1.100m

A photo of the mountain pass (part of Way to St.James for pilgrims). The building is the old border cabins (both French and Spanish). All part behind it is France

#32 ·
^^ :yes: The Pico Veleta road can be used by private cars up to the height of ~2,600 m. Then there is a barrier from which, to the height of 3,367 m, it can be used only by bikes, pedestrians and people allowed by the Sierra Nevada ski station. The last meters, up to the summit (3,396 m) are not paved.

Here's the barrier:
Raul_Ma_Ca said:
Source & more pictures: http://apmforo.mforos.com/570933/6704347-hasta-el-infinito-y-mas-alla/

#35 ·
^^ :yes: The Pico Veleta road can be used by private cars up to the height of ~2,600 m. Then there is a barrier from which, to the height of 3,367 m, it can be used only by bikes, pedestrians and people allowed by the Sierra Nevada ski station. The last meters, up to the summit (3,396 m) are not paved.

Here's the barrier:

Source & more pictures: http://apmforo.mforos.com/570933/6704347-hasta-el-infinito-y-mas-alla/
I think I will go there on my trip to Spain next month, and then hike to the summit :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.