daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > Skyscraper News & Discussion

Old October 8th, 2005, 12:29 PM   #1
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 1499

Skyscrapers over 300ft/90m!!!!

300FEET/90M is when i feel a skyscraper is getting some height! its normally about a 30storey block of flats or 25storey offcie tower.
lets see how Australia/nz is fairing with skyscraper construction

SYDNEY-115 +5-UC
=120
northsyd-5 +2- UC
=7
st leo-1
chatswood-4
Bondi-1
total=133
MELBOURNE-74 +12uc
=86
GOLD CoaST-51 + 8uc
=59
BRISBANE-43 +7uc
=50
PERTH-12 +0-uc
= 12
ADELAIDE-4 +0uc
=4
DARWiN-0 +1uc
=1
---------
AUCKLAND-16 +2uc
=18
WELLINGTON-5

when a building gets tall!
300ft sample

the 90m marquis on main GC

the FIRST to surpass 300ft/90m
Sydney's 115m AMP in 1962

Last edited by CULWULLA; October 8th, 2005 at 12:40 PM.
CULWULLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 8th, 2005, 02:34 PM   #2
JayT
Like whatever....

Likes (Received): 391

Interesting thread. Gold Coast is quite packed with towers isn't it - I mean for its population. Its pretty bad for Brisbane that GC has more towers. I guess there is nothing like the Gold Coast, its brash, forward, in your face, bold - all these attributes lend themselves to building BIG.

Just think about it - if Sydney had built the same ratio of scrapers that GC has for its population it would have around 1,000 over 90m - WOW!
Old October 8th, 2005, 02:37 PM   #3
Giorgio

Likes (Received): 340

The gold coast is primarily a tourist destination.
Old October 8th, 2005, 02:47 PM   #4
JayT
Like whatever....

Likes (Received): 391

Quote:
Originally Posted by .::G!oRgOs::.
The gold coast is primarily a tourist destination.
Don't say that, makes people think you don't know anything. Its economy is diversifying rapidly because most of it is within an hour of Brisbane CBD. Behind the Gold Coast in a strip roughtly 40km long is one of Australia's fastest growing industrial regions. Its mostly light industriial, stuff like Information Technology, Telecomunications, Education, Biotech, Drugs, Health, and Distribution.

Below - Largest Industries on the Coast (2003)
1 Property services
2 Construction
3 Retail trade
4 Business services
5 Transport and storage
6 Accommodation, cafes and restaurants
7 Finance and insurance
8 Health services
Old October 8th, 2005, 03:11 PM   #5
DeejayT
retired

Likes (Received): 0

Hey Jay ... I agree the GC has definitely is becoming more then a tourist destination, just look at Robina. Varsity Lakes (Part of Robina) over the last 5 years has law firms, technology firms etc set up there. You definitely couldn’t call Varsity touristy.

I think the Surfers will always be touristy thou, which makes it unique. Where else in Australia do you see girls in bikinis and men in suits!

P.S. Culwulla, what’s the chances of the GC getting its own sub-forum in the Projects, Construction, Skyscrapers & Statistics section rather then grouping it with the Townsville, Cairns and the Sunshine Coast projects in the Regional Qld section

~DJ
DeejayT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2005, 05:48 PM   #6
Perth4life3
Now Reborn :)

damn perth sucks!
Old October 9th, 2005, 12:05 AM   #7
jellyman

Still it seems obvious to me that the Gold Coast is dominated by tourism/lifestyle chasing. The top 8 industries definitely reflect that. Property services and construction to build places for the tourists and lifestyle seekers to stay. Retail to sell them stuff.

Of course Gold Coast is now diversifying itself quite well, so you could never say it is 'primarily a tourist town' with extra stuff going on.
Old October 9th, 2005, 01:39 AM   #8
Malt
Its a sleepy little town

Likes (Received): 67

I respect the Gold Coast, Ive been there countless countless times throughout my life..

But trying to pretend it isnt a holiday and tourist city is just plain ignant (Ignorant)

Why you take this negativly i dont know.. But thats what it is.

Its 1 hour from Brisbanes CBD.. So its never going to be treated 'fairly' when it comes to offices. If it was say.. 5 hours away it would get more office towers.
But if it was 5 hours away it wouldnt have gotten that big in the first place :P
Dont you hate the situation.

Oh well. Its a tourist and holiday city, that is not a negative point, so deal with it.
Malt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2005, 03:41 AM   #9
BrizzyChris

Likes (Received): 540

I totally agree Malt. I can't believe how poorly Perth fairs in all this.
BrizzyChris está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2005, 04:06 AM   #10
CULWULLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeejayT
Hey Jay ... I agree the GC has definitely is becoming more then a tourist destination, just look at Robina. Varsity Lakes (Part of Robina) over the last 5 years has law firms, technology firms etc set up there. You definitely couldn’t call Varsity touristy.

I think the Surfers will always be touristy thou, which makes it unique. Where else in Australia do you see girls in bikinis and men in suits!

P.S. Culwulla, what’s the chances of the GC getting its own sub-forum in the Projects, Construction, Skyscrapers & Statistics section rather then grouping it with the Townsville, Cairns and the Sunshine Coast projects in the Regional Qld section

~DJ
we actually did have a subforum for "Sunshine coast & Townsville" ect, but some thought it wasnt worth it, so now we have it lumped in with gold Coast projects.I thought it had enough traffic to warrant the sub. if it gets any bussier might have to re add it.
such a boomtown up in Queensland atm!
Old October 9th, 2005, 04:10 AM   #11
CULWULLA

Gold Coasts first 300footer!
The charming FOCUS built in 1976 @ 96m.
When this precast concrete tower went up, i reckon it really gave the Gold Coast a tower which you identify with holiday destination.
Old October 9th, 2005, 05:39 AM   #12
christarrant

Likes (Received): 1

I thought Auckland mite have more too.

How would the cities fare with towers -
-over 120m ( spires and crap not included ).
-over 150m
Think Cul had a list posted on this a while ago.
I would think these 2 measurements would see Syd and Mel open up massive gaps over the other cities ????
christarrant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2005, 06:31 AM   #13
Oriolus
OzScrapers Moderator

Likes (Received): 236

Just trying to work out Brisbane's first 90m scraper - it would have been Westpac (105m) wouldn't it? Built in the year before Suncorp Plaza at 118m. I didn't realise it had ever been tallest.

Visit me on flickr
Oriolus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2005, 07:14 AM   #14
CULWULLA

^yes Westypac was first to pass 300ft/90m in 1970 but Manufacturers Mutual was nt far off in 1967 @ 88m. Also T&G was 88m in 1969.
Just on first 300footer in GC, now i think of it, the 29st CONDOR was 85m to roof and 90m to LMR built 1975.
>
Old October 9th, 2005, 05:01 PM   #15
Citystyle
Watch my Chops

Likes (Received): 214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perth4life3
damn perth sucks!
Brisban has lots of 90m+ appartments and a lots of medium hight office blocks.

Perth has zero appartment buildings and small or very large office blocks thus perth failes in this area that rewards tall density.

But with any luck perth could have 4+ UC by mid 2006. Sky gardens, PW-1, PW-2, and there are two-three towers that will go to PCC in between that time.
Sec. 31 But how far has he given it us? To enjoy. As much as anyone can make use of to any advantage of life before it spoils, whatever is beyond this, is more than his share, and belongs to others. Nothing was made by God for man to spoil or destroy. And thus considering the plenty of natural provisions there was a long time in the world, and the few spenders, and to how small a part provision the industry of one man could extend itself, and ingross itself to the prejudice of others.
- John Locke

Last edited by Citystyle; October 9th, 2005 at 05:07 PM.
Citystyle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2005, 05:30 PM   #16
Citystyle
Watch my Chops

1. Central Park 8 817 ft 52 1992 completed
2. BankWest Tower 8 702 ft 48 1988 completed
3. QV1 Tower 11 533 ft 38 1991 completed
4. Exchange Plaza 4 479 ft 40 1992 completed
5. AAPT Tower 10 459 ft 33 1978 completed
6. Woodside Tower 6 449 ft 28 2003 completed
7. Allendale Square 7 433 ft 31 1977 completed
8. AMP Building 4 430 ft 30 1976 completed
9. Forrest Centre 6 361 ft 30 1990 completed
10. Governor Stirling Tower 1 361 ft 28 1978 completed
11. Telstra Exchange 3 312 ft 17 1979 completed
12. Sheraton Perth 2 295 ft 24 1973 completed

Thats perths 300ft's.
Sec. 31 But how far has he given it us? To enjoy. As much as anyone can make use of to any advantage of life before it spoils, whatever is beyond this, is more than his share, and belongs to others. Nothing was made by God for man to spoil or destroy. And thus considering the plenty of natural provisions there was a long time in the world, and the few spenders, and to how small a part provision the industry of one man could extend itself, and ingross itself to the prejudice of others.
- John Locke
Old October 10th, 2005, 02:41 AM   #17
Ipggi
Here

Likes (Received): 164

And half of those were built in the 1970's :P
Ipggi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2005, 01:19 PM   #18
Citystyle
Watch my Chops

Yep very sad, the 70's were the boom time and the 80's and early 90's were oversupply time. We are finally getting over it.
- John Locke