SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Whats in Shanghai?

5K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  hzkiller 
#1 ·
Hello, im visiting Shanghai for the first time on Sunday for 4 days. Im planning on seeing as much as possible and have compiled a list:

Bund
MagLev train
Town god temple
Jade Buddha temple
Jin Mao tower
Longhua temple and park
Nanjing rd
Oriental pearl tower
Shanghai museum
Xin Tian Di / Hengshan Road
Yu Yuan garden
ZhouZhuang
River cruise
Tunnel connecting pudong with the bund
Shanghai Zoo
Confucian temple in the old town (Nan Shi)

apart from whats in my list, what would you recomend i visit to get the real feel of Shanghai that a normal tourist might miss? Any help would be most apreciated :)

Also any information on how to get to ZhouZhuang (the water town) would be helpfull, are there organised tours to it from Shanghai?

See less See more
#4 ·
wow.... Cool!! Have Update??

#3 ·
You can erase the "River Tunnel" below Huang Pu from your list. It's just crap.

Instead, I'd recommend visiting some other areas of the city other than the obvious tourist traps (personally, Nanjing Dong Lu is just crap in my opinion).
Take the metro line 1 down to Xujiahui and walk around in the area, as well as the Jing'An Si area on the line 2.

If you got more questions just ask. ;)

#6 ·
I don't understand why you have to visit both Longhua Temple and Jade Buddha temple. They are really just some ...buddhist temples, nothing spectular at all. I lived in Shanghai for more than 10 years, and never walked into either of them. Seriously Shanghai is not a good place to experience Buddhsit temples. You can easily find much bigger, much more interesting-looking buddhist temples in other Chinese cities. If you really have to visit one, I'll recommend Jing An Temple, not because it's more interesting, just because it's at a more accessible location. You can take the subway line 2 to get there, stop at the temple for a few minutes, and then walk down Nan Jing Xi Lu, that's seriously the poshiest neighborhood in Shanghai these days.

#7 ·
Ignore the tourist tunnel under the Hangpu river, it's just a tunnel with some silly lights in it - waste of time.

You've gotta see Nanjing Road at night, neon craziness!

Shanghai South railway station wasn't finished when I went but I went on the maglev and it's very cool!

Make sure you leave yourself some time to just wander around some of the older areas of town; explore plenty of the side streets around the Bund area and also further along the river. Shanghai has probably one of the largest and finest collections of art deco architecture anywhere but you have to be willing to just explore in order to find a lot of it.

The old town is very interesting, you need to just wander around there as well.

I didn't see any temples as they weren't really on my priority list (Shanghai was the last place I went in China so by the time I got there I'd seen dozens of the things already). If you had more than 4 days I'd recommend a day trip to Suzhou but with the ammount of time you've got it's probably better to see the whole of Shanghai instead.

#8 ·
Anybody, please post info and advices about good cheap restaurants offering home cooking, please.

Not interested in fake cusine you only find at restaurants but true traditional meals, grandma's style. I want to explore that in depth this summer ^_^ Different cuisines better, not only Shanghai style. I'm very interested in hui/muslim restaurants too, halal food uses to be great everywhere.

Thanks.

#9 ·
You are islam people??

#11 ·
Hmm lets see
- XujiaHui..
- Peoples Square..like RafflesCity..its juz for shopping (u mite not a bargain though..juz hav a look around neyway.)
- Nextage shopping centre pudong..10 levels..5min's away from Lujiazhui.
- Tai Ping Yang for all electronics.. theres one in Puxi and Pudong. Goto the one in Puxi..its much betta. You need a shanghainese to go with you or they will rip you off bad..if you speak mandarin, they will hike the prices.
- Shanghai Acquarium?

The best experience is going on a yacht on the Huangpu river. See Lujiazhui and the Bund at night!

#12 ·
Also any information on how to get to ZhouZhuang (the water town) would be helpfull, are there organised tours to it from Shanghai?
You can take bus or Taxi to ZhouZhuang (the water town) is about one hour from Shanghai. The Taxi fair is about RMB200. The bus is much cheaper, I don't know where to take it. Last time I took Taxi to ZhouZhuang. It is a nice place to see, and the "pig leg" dish taste very good. The crime rate of Shanghai is the lowest in China, maybe the lowest in the world too, but remember if some girls invited you to their bar or restaurant, just don't follow them, they get paid high commission by the owner of those bar or restaurant, those bar or restaurant will charge you a high price for it. You can call the police if this happen to you, but it just waste your time. Have a nice trip.:cheers:

#13 ·
I don't understand why you have to visit both Longhua Temple and Jade Buddha temple. They are really just some ...buddhist temples, nothing spectular at all.
========================================================
It is the same reason why we like to see the palaces, churches, castles in Europe. for Europeans, they are just the same, as boring as we see our temples.

#14 ·
^^haha, I'd agree with that.
But wait, not to the Basilicas and Doumos I have seen in Italy though: all of them are splendors ! I was truly impressed by those.
But then, these two Chinese temples can not compare to the top class Chinese temples, which Shanghai does not have. In fact, Shanghai is definitely the wrong place to see the traditional textbook China.

#15 ·
Well, just make sure you don't focus too much on Lujiazui and Huangpu (the Bund, Nanjing Dong Lu, People's Square etc.) - there's so much more to Shanghai than that.
Puxi is the real Shanghai and that's where you should spend 99% of your time in the city, in my opinion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.