search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Texas > Projects and Construction

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 25th, 2017, 03:41 AM   #1841
Weatherguy

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensol˙ View Post
Tom Zizka of Fox News (Ch 26) apparently can't tell the Houston skylines apart. This morning the camera was showing a panoramic view of Uptown and this dummy said it was the Med Center. The producer must have whispered the right info into his earpiece, because a few seconds later he corrected himself.
That's pathetic. Over the years, I've seen YouTube videos taken from planes where the poster took a vid of the Med Center and said it was downtown. I've also heard stories of people who spent significant time in Houston on business who thought Uptown was Downtown. The worst thing I've ever seen was an attendee to a conference in Kansas City, MO. At the beginning of her speech, she told the audience how happy she was to be in Kansas. The audience laughed and only later did someone correct her.
Weatherguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 25th, 2017, 07:51 AM   #1842
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist

Likes (Received): 1958

Looking at a picture taken from a Houston highway, I couldn't tell which was which either, but I had a feeling where your downtown was. One is more built up than the other.

It is a remarkable concept...two "downtowns" in one city. I think Atlanta is similar, but I can't think of any other cities. Maybe LA?
Buffaboy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2017, 05:18 PM   #1843
()_T

Likes (Received): 2080

The Nancy and Rich Kinder Building, phase III to the Museum Fine Arts of Houston Expansion, began construction Monday.

Via email from the Museum Park Neighborhood Association:

Quote:
Beginning next, Monday, May 22, the newly constructed Montrose Parking Garage opens to the public. On this same day, the outdoor South Lot, across Bissonnet from the Law Building, permanently closes to allow excavation and construction to begin on the Nancy and Rich Kinder Building, scheduled to open in late 2019.

LAYiddo, jonathaninATX liked this post

Last edited by ()_T; May 25th, 2017 at 05:24 PM.
()_T no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2017, 05:23 PM   #1844
LAYiddo
Not in L.A.

Likes (Received): 2155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaboy View Post
Looking at a picture taken from a Houston highway, I couldn't tell which was which either, but I had a feeling where your downtown was. One is more built up than the other.

It is a remarkable concept...two "downtowns" in one city. I think Atlanta is similar, but I can't think of any other cities. Maybe LA?
Having lived in L.A for over a decade the only other high rise cluster I can think of, other than downtown, is Century City. That cluster is not a patch on Uptown or the Medical Center though.

Buffaboy liked this post
LAYiddo está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2017, 09:18 PM   #1845
()_T

Buffalo Heights owner, developer to collaborate on another nearby project

Quote:
Russell Gordy and two Houston-based companies – Midway and Lionstone Investments – are working on Buffalo Heights, a large, multiphase mixed-use district at the corner of Washington Avenue and South Heights Boulevard.

It won't be the only project that Gordy and Midway collaborate on.

Gordy and Midway – the owner and developer, respectively, of the Buffalo Heights project – intend to develop a new office tower, hotel and high-rise multifamily complex on around four acres of land adjacent to 100 Waugh, Gordy told the Houston Business Journal.

"We spent a lot of money getting that ready, and then 2014 happened," he said, referring to the oil and gas slump. "It’s just sitting there."

Gordy calls the project "Northbank," and said they'll break ground on the development once the energy market bounces back.
2014 image of the project:

LAYiddo liked this post
Old Yesterday, 02:46 AM   #1846
Weatherguy

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaboy View Post

There are really three "downtowns": Downtown, Uptown, and the Med Center. The Med Center and Uptown are like the downtowns of some fairly big cities.

There are also other significant nodes, like Greenway and the Energy Corridor, where there are a lot of highrises, although they don't really look like downtowns. There are other highrises around the metro, too, like in Upper Kirby, Sam Houston Parkway just south of I-10, and Allen Parkway/Memorial west of downtown. Hope I'm not forgetting any.

LAYiddo, Buffaboy liked this post
Weatherguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:41 PM   #1847
Dariusb
Formerly known as Bigboyz

Likes (Received): 214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguy View Post
That's pathetic. Over the years, I've seen YouTube videos taken from planes where the poster took a vid of the Med Center and said it was downtown. I've also heard stories of people who spent significant time in Houston on business who thought Uptown was Downtown. The worst thing I've ever seen was an attendee to a conference in Kansas City, MO. At the beginning of her speech, she told the audience how happy she was to be in Kansas. The audience laughed and only later did someone correct her.
Wow! Talk about a bad sense of direction, lol!
Dariusb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:16 PM   #1848
()_T

Giorgetti Houston Upper Kirby

45% sold, breaks ground by the end of the year.

Villa Borghese Upper Kirby

Bungalows on site being moved to new locations, construction begins this Fall.

jonathaninATX liked this post

Tags
houston, texas