SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Chennai - Malls and Multiplex projects, Entertainment & Week End Get Aways

4M views 10K replies 580 participants last post by  thillai_selvan 
#1 ·
This thread is for multiplex and malls projects in and around Chennai Metropolitan.

Reactions: nitinziw
#281 ·
The Ampa mall almost double the size of Citi Center. If you consider Citi Center as a mall, then Skywalk is definitely a mall as well. the only difference is that Citi Center has a Classy Exterior whereas Skywalk has a vibrant exterior. and it has more features than the citi center. first, it can accommodate more than double (2.5 times to be accurate) the number of cars than citi center. second, it has a small boutique hotel in it. third, the multiplex that is coming in skywalk has double the size and capacity of that in citi center. fourth it has larger food court and generally larger space to move around. fifth, it houses the same if not higher quality of brands as does citi center. what more do you need? the only two disadvantages that i see is one, the cooum on its side( i hope they don't keep rooftop restaurants like citi center. i definitely wont go there and i don't think it will be a hit) and two the traffic snarls that it will cause once it is opened. some solution has to be found out immediately for the second problem.

It is just not fair on anyone's part to debase the mall just because the colors are not so appealing. let us all first have a look inside the mall once it opens and then lets judge it.

#282 ·
Yes, mall and shopping complex mean just the same. In the past they named it as shopping complex, plaza, arcade etc but now its fashionable to name it as mall, like how our govt agencies and promoters call their project as 'world class'.

I think for Illusionist a mall means it should be huge like a enclosed high street. Then only Spencer Plaza will qualify to be a true mall in Chennai.

btw, does any malls have designer stores like armani, diesel, prada,d&g,dior, g-star etc?
The DLF Mall coming up in Velachery is meant to be Luxury Mall that caters to high class brands. and so is the mall to come up in Phoenix Market City. These will have brands like Giorgio Armani, Diesel, Prada, Versace, Gucci, Police, Ralph Lauren, Tag Heuer etc. i think the phoenix market city mall will also have the regular brands that are now common in standard indian malls.

#288 ·
Comedy of the Year 2009.
----------------------------

Here is what i took from the website of ramee mall.
-------------------------------------------------------

Location Site Travel Time
Airport 18 20 Minutes
Chennai Central Railway Station 4 10 Minutes
Chennai Egmore Railway Station 2 5 Minutes
T Nagar (Shopping Area) 1 5 Minutes

Even on sundays you cannot reach so quickly.

#292 ·
Update on the Mall built in erstwhile National Theatre - Virugambakkam

Hi Guys,

I did not check if this has been posted before. Just now saw this, the mall that is coming up in the erstwhile National Theatre in Virugambakkam is called "Chandra Mall". From the renders it looks decent with 5 stories. Almost 4 of the 5 stories are completed. The project says it houses a multiplex also and a futuristic car parking solution :). No website address was mentioned. I ll try to take some photos and post it here pretty soon

#293 ·
Also checked out on the renovated Kamala Cinemas in Vadapalani. So far so good. Nice and neat, with ample parking space and separate airconditioned place for ticket counters. Ticket prices range from 65 to 90. No 10 Rs ticket here :)

#298 ·
A 20-room boutique hotel will be set up by ampa mall. The hotel will be run by Auromatrix Hotels. Ampa has appointed Jones Lang LaSalle Meghraj to maintain the property.

http://www.hospitalitybizindia.com/detailNews.aspx?aid=6313&sid=1
i think primary reason for this hotel is to enable them to get a bar license to run a pub inside the mall. it is high time tn govt changes such rules and allow easier norms for such bar licenses to ensure they are not so expensive. pubs in chennai are probably more expensive than even manhattan.