daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > South East Asia > Singapore Skyscraper Forum > The Urban Fabric > Transport / Infrastructure

Old November 9th, 2006, 06:24 PM   #1
ignoramus

Likes (Received): 1

MRT Downtown Line | Inching Forward to Completion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignoramus View Post
Tender Reference (Contract No.)

Description
Consultancy Service for Review of the Design of Tunnel Ventilation System for the Proposed Downtown Line

Tender Reference (Contract No.)
PQ-DTL-905

Description
Pre-Qualification Notice For Proposed Downtown Line Phase 1 (DTL) Rapid Transit System For Design And Build Civil Contract 905
http://www.lta.gov.sg/tender_info/no...ct06_905pq.htm

INTRODUCTION The pre-qualification for the Downtown Line Phase 1 (DTL) for Design & Build Civil Contract 905 was advertised in the Hong Kong's South China Morning Post and GeBIZ on the 13 March 2006 and the names of the successful Applicants were released on 07 July 2006. The entire route length for DTL is approximately 3.4 km and consists of 4 new stations, Bayfront, Landmark, Cross Street and Chinatown stations. The proposed DTL will be packaged into 5 civil contracts 905, 906, 907, 908 and 909.

PREQUALIFICATION OF CONTRACT 905 This PQ is for Contract 905 which consists of 2 pairs of stacked bored tunnels across Marina Bay to CCL Promenade station. It involves the design and construction of mainly bored tunnels and a short stretch of cut and cover tunnels. A pair of stacked mined tunnels undercrossing the existing CCL tunnel is also included. The tunnel route length for Contract 905 is approximately 0.75km. Due to a change in the design scheme of Contract 905 from cut and cover to mainly bored tunnelling method, interested Civil Engineering contractors with proven expertise and experience in design and construction of bored tunnel works for Rail Transit System tunnels structures are invited to apply for this PQ.
Contracts 905 to 909 were previously referred to as the contracts for the MRT Downtown Extension. There has since been a change. All contracts concerning the MRT Downtown Extension are now referred to as the MRT Downtown LINE PHASE 1. This is reminicent of the former MRT Marina Line (which has since become Phase 1 of the MRT Circle Line). So speculation that the MRT Downtown Extension was part of the Circle Line is indeed proving to be pure speculation as its now part of its own line. Though not officially announced, this change in name when awarding contracts does prove that LTA has since firmed up its plans for the DTE, now DTL.

On a side note, another fact to ponder over is that
1. Earlier contracts have asked for contractors to be prepared for constructing a shell box for Marina Bay Station Interchange
2. Tunnels fron Bayfront to Promenade are stacked twin tunnels = 4 tunnels
3. Overrun tunnels from Bayfront towards Marina Bay Station

So it does APPEAR that there will be tracks leading from Marina Bay Station to Bayfront and on to Promenade. And this could be the Circle Line Stage 6 we are thinking about. After all, what other line seems conveniently placed to connect to Marina Bay Station, and continue on with this possible Marina Bay-Bayfront-Promenade mini line?

LTA is one confusing authority.

Last edited by ignoramus; November 9th, 2006 at 06:43 PM.
ignoramus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 10th, 2006, 03:00 AM   #2
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignoramus View Post
So it does APPEAR that there will be tracks leading from Marina Bay Station to Bayfront and on to Promenade. And this could be the Circle Line Stage 6 we are thinking about. After all, what other line seems conveniently placed to connect to Marina Bay Station, and continue on with this possible Marina Bay-Bayfront-Promenade mini line?
If you go to the URA Gallery you can observe that for the planned infrastructure, Marina Bay Station connects to Bayfront Station.
RafflesCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2006, 05:19 PM   #3
ddes

Likes (Received): 185

4 tunnels= 2 lines...

Boy, I can't even begin to imagine how big Promenade Interchange will be.

Imagine arriving in Promenade frm Nicoll Highway...

"Promenade Interchange, passengers may alight and change to the Eastern Region Line and Bukit Timah Line. Passengers heading towards Bras Basah and Dhoby Ghaut, please alight and cross the platform."

I believe the Downtown Line will become the first stage of the ERL but will initially operate as part of the Circle Line as a part of a forked branch line, the other branch to Dhoby Ghaut. Later, as Circle Line Stage 6 and ERL Stage 2 is announced, the line will split. The CCL will become full-circle, while the ERL will begin from Promenade.

If my speculation is true, we'll have so many Alstom Metropolis trains and I don't really like them. I prefer the new Nippon Sharyo trains better, Siemens aren't that bad either.

I'm just reading the news and speculating.

Since the news reports a 60km Downtown Line linking the Eastern Region and Bukit Timah. Figured that Promenade station is the key. (We know the BTL will start from Promenade)
ddes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2006, 05:56 PM   #4
mrtfreak

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddarkdom View Post
4 tunnels= 2 lines...

Boy, I can't even begin to imagine how big Promenade Interchange will be.

Imagine arriving in Promenade frm Nicoll Highway...

"Promenade Interchange, passengers may alight and change to the Eastern Region Line and Bukit Timah Line. Passengers heading towards Bras Basah and Dhoby Ghaut, please alight and cross the platform."

I believe the Downtown Line will become the first stage of the ERL but will initially operate as part of the Circle Line as a part of a forked branch line, the other branch to Dhoby Ghaut. Later, as Circle Line Stage 6 and ERL Stage 2 is announced, the line will split. The CCL will become full-circle, while the ERL will begin from Promenade.

If my speculation is true, we'll have so many Alstom Metropolis trains and I don't really like them. I prefer the new Nippon Sharyo trains better, Siemens aren't that bad either.

I'm just reading the news and speculating.

Since the news reports a 60km Downtown Line linking the Eastern Region and Bukit Timah. Figured that Promenade station is the key. (We know the BTL will start from Promenade)
I thought that the three lines (BTL, ERL & DTE) had been amalgamated into one line which is the DTL. Confusing, haha. The four trans-bay tunnels will house the CCL surely which will travel to Marina Bay in future. 3 car length stations for Landmark & Cross Street stations mean that the BTL and ERL will possibly run on such trains and be operated by SMRT.

About the Alstom Metropolis cars, I don't mind them and actually prefer them to the older lines' trains. Only, I don't really think I like the CCL interior colour co-ordination.

DTL Construction
TSL Construction
ERL Construction
CCL6 Construction

Search Google Translate for "Death" in Czech. :lol:
mrtfreak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2006, 06:21 PM   #5
^tamago^

Likes (Received): 0

if BTL+ERL+DTE=DTL, then ERL might be extended from chinatown DTE station... but as i know, if the tunnels are extended any further, it'll have to make a sharp turn and then align itself with CTE tunnels!
^tamago^ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2006, 01:32 AM   #6
Nov

For those wondering how the BTL and the ERL will connect to the DTE: From LTA's page:

This was the plan when the DTE was announced. The DTL seems to be a modification of this plan.
Nov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2006, 01:38 AM   #7
Nov

From the same page:

The station is now promenade of course. Notice how the BTL continues on to the DTE.
Old November 13th, 2006, 03:36 AM   #8
^tamago^

a look at chinatown station. how to turn away from CTE tunnels and havelock/merchant road entrances up front?

Old November 13th, 2006, 04:35 AM   #9
mrtfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^tamago^ View Post
a look at chinatown station. how to turn away from CTE tunnels and havelock/merchant road entrances up front?
It is possible, with the wonders of engineering.
1) have a more than 90-degree turn and then slowly turn back to make it a right angle turn. not too sure how to describe it, but you turn more than you need and then adjust back.
2) go below the CTE tunnels. I'm sure the entry/exit tunnels are not as deep as the rail tunnels.

Actually, if you've noticed. The CCL also makes a rather sharp turn before Marymount station from Bishan.

And if it is ERl + BTL + DTE = DTL, would that be the first time a train passes through a station twice, supposing they do have an interchange from BTL <-> ERL.

DTL Construction
TSL Construction
ERL Construction
CCL6 Construction

Old November 13th, 2006, 12:58 PM   #10
JediAlf
May the Force Be With You

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtfreak View Post
It is possible, with the wonders of engineering.
1) have a more than 90-degree turn and then slowly turn back to make it a right angle turn. not too sure how to describe it, but you turn more than you need and then adjust back.
2) go below the CTE tunnels. I'm sure the entry/exit tunnels are not as deep as the rail tunnels.

Actually, if you've noticed. The CCL also makes a rather sharp turn before Marymount station from Bishan.

And if it is ERl + BTL + DTE = DTL, would that be the first time a train passes through a station twice, supposing they do have an interchange from BTL <-> ERL.
NEL Chinatown station is already deep - under the canal. So DTE Chinatown - station (the space for this station was already constructed when NEL Chinatown was constructed) will be beneath the NEL station so it can easily go under the CTE - similiar to the structure where CCL Museum Station is built under the maze of drains and underground Stamford Canal and the NSL tunnels.

I assume there will be another DTE depot somewhere to support DTE.
JediAlf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2006, 01:24 PM   #11
^tamago^

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediAlf View Post
NEL Chinatown station is already deep - under the canal. So DTE Chinatown - station (the space for this station was already constructed when NEL Chinatown was constructed) will be beneath the NEL station so it can easily go under the CTE - similiar to the structure where CCL Museum Station is built under the maze of drains and underground Stamford Canal and the NSL tunnels.

I assume there will be another DTE depot somewhere to support DTE.
good logic.

now that it is on the west end of the NEL, where will it cross back to the eastern side of NEL and also run past BTL? hmmm...
Old November 13th, 2006, 01:32 PM   #12
Pengui
Tallest on his iceberg

Likes (Received): 1

I always thought that if a line was built between Tanjong Pagar and Chinatown, it would also deserve Havelock Road, Kim Seng Road and Tanglin... Or maybe the people living there are too rich and don't need public transportation ? ;-)
Pengui no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2006, 02:13 PM   #13
^tamago^

I think the passenger flow may not sustain the line there. Even if built with a purpose to let people use it as a bypass from Orchard to Outram Park, but then, it would only shave a few minutes off the travelling time if the passenger had made a transfer at Dhoby Ghaut or Raffles Place.
Old November 13th, 2006, 02:15 PM   #14
redstone
Lurker

Likes (Received): 22

Why does the line from Chinatown branch out to ERL? This creates a loop?

Why not Chinatown going to BTL?
redstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2006, 02:32 PM   #15
Nov

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtfreak View Post
I didn't get this at the first go, but after reading it a few times I finally understood it. What you said could be true... but only if BTL + DTE + ERL = DTL. I still wonder how they are going to do that rectangular line for ERL. Anyone know how many boxes are there below Chinatown station?
Old November 13th, 2006, 03:07 PM   #16
kenmin
SingaporeRail

I don't think they have merged ERL and BTL to form DTL. The two lines will still run independently in the future but will be able to carry on into the other line just like NSL and EWL.
kenmin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2006, 04:12 PM   #17
JediAlf
May the Force Be With You

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmin View Post
I don't think they have merged ERL and BTL to form DTL. The two lines will still run independently in the future but will be able to carry on into the other line just like NSL and EWL.
The Transport minister already mentioned in the parliament that two lines can form into new 40 km Downtown Line after the feasibility study is completed.
JediAlf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 05:50 PM   #18
redstone
Lurker

Likes (Received): 22

Any idea why ERL extends from Chinatown and not Promenade?

Doesn't make sense to me to create a reverse loop....
redstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 05:52 PM   #19
glitz_boy

Likes (Received): 2

i thot the depot will be in Kim Chuan? the 1st underground depot.
glitz_boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2006, 03:35 AM   #20
mrtfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by redstone View Post
Any idea why ERL extends from Chinatown and not Promenade?

Doesn't make sense to me to create a reverse loop....
According to some sources, the upper segment of the loop will be constructed first. Then the southern segment. The upper segment follows Jalan Besar, to MacPherson station and on to Bedok Reservior. In future it may connect back to Promenade or Nicoll Highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitz_boy View Post
i thot the depot will be in Kim Chuan? the 1st underground depot.
Yes, the Kim Chuan depot serves the Circle Line. But I think they may need another one or two depots for the DTL trains, assuming the DTL package = DTE + BTL + ERL.

DTL Construction
TSL Construction
ERL Construction
CCL6 Construction

Tags
mrt