SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Chennai - Malls and Multiplex projects, Entertainment & Week End Get Aways

4M views 10K replies 580 participants last post by  thillai_selvan 
#1 ·
This thread is for multiplex and malls projects in and around Chennai Metropolitan.

Reactions: nitinziw
#502 ·
Ferrari_fan, a friend of mine told me few months back that construction at Phoenix Market city was going on at feverish pace. I also heard construction activities at Forum Mall is also going on pretty well. Hope they come up in 2011.
I do hope your friend is right!!

:)

#506 ·
Guys, my 1st post here. I live in Guindy - Velachery area.

Locations of Mfar Hotel and Phoenix Market City - http://wikimapia.org/#lat=12.991553&lon=80.2191532&z=17&l=0&m=b&search=chennai, velachery

MFAR Hotel - The construction going on next to Rane factory is not a mall. Its a hotel that is coming up there. Well constructions are in full swing for this and Hotel might open by 2010 end or early 2011.

Phoenix Market City - Raptakos Brett Co site is where the Market City is coming. Not sure whats the status of this. Its compounded with roofing sheets, hence could not get a peep in but looks like only minimal activity going on. The land area is massive as you can see from the Wikimapia link. Hope they come up with something massive by 2012 atleast.
More info - http://www.phoenixmarketcity.in/chennai/chennai_location.html
Project Breakup - http://www.phoenixmarketcity.in/chennai/chennai_project_breakup.html

#510 ·
^^ It's been topped out for a few months now.. They had started the finishing work on one of the gopuram-like structures at the top, but not much progress other than that..

I don't expect this one to be opened till late next year.. Finishing works on 5-star hotels take early as long as construction of the main structure..

#511 ·
Is this was posted here before?

Marg Junction-Karappakam

MARG Junction is located on OMR, just 8 km from Tidel Park, and is poised to be the biggest integrated development in Chennai. This mall will be a boon to the teeming populace expected to live and work around the area.

Designed and developed as a Green building, MARG Junction is a 1.8 million sqft mixed- use development, featuring:

A Destination Mall

With scientifically designed retail and tenant mix, it is destined to be a
one stop shop

World Class 5 Star Hotel

With 240 rooms spread over 10 floors

Office Towers

State of the art working space, spread across 10 floors

World class multiplex entertainment

* 8 Screens
* Over 1500 seating capacity

http://www.margjunction.com/views.php

#512 ·
Is this was posted here before?

Marg Junction-Karappakam

MARG Junction is located on OMR, just 8 km from Tidel Park, and is poised to be the biggest integrated development in Chennai. This mall will be a boon to the teeming populace expected to live and work around the area.

Designed and developed as a Green building, MARG Junction is a 1.8 million sqft mixed- use development, featuring:

A Destination Mall

With scientifically designed retail and tenant mix, it is destined to be a
one stop shop

World Class 5 Star Hotel

With 240 rooms spread over 10 floors

Office Towers

State of the art working space, spread across 10 floors

World class multiplex entertainment

* 8 Screens
* Over 1500 seating capacity

http://www.margjunction.com/views.php
Well, this is the riverside mall, they have renamed it as MARG Junction.....

I was thinking that this mall would come up by this year, but the site states it will be ready only by 2011....

#514 ·
^^ Very close to where I work. Just a stone's throw away! :)

But FF, I thought the works is going on at a good speed in the site. Even when I saw few days back, I could see couple of towers popping out, with some huge cranes operating inside it.

Or Did I see a different project in the close proximity?

#517 ·
^^ I have read some news to support the date that you have provided.

By the way, friends, what is this PVR? Why is it a big deal? I have seen folks from B'lore saying that its B'lore wonder and situated there alone :lol:...only to realize that they were wrong after I point out to them that its a Gurgaon company and its there in many cities in India. After googling it out, I found out that its another Mayajaal kinda thing.

As far as I have heard and read, they don't have their own theater formats like IMAX does. I personally think that in India we need a few big screen formats like IMAX; it is not enough if we have a bunch of small screen multiplexes. I am reading that we are getting a few IMAX theaters here and there in the new malls which is good. :)

#519 ·
pVr

i went to skywalk today and it was way too crowded..... the 1200 strong parking was full and that too when pvr has not yet opened. i went to the third floor where the food court is there. this floor also has the entrance to PVR Cinemas. there were some people standing in the floor above which belonged to PVR. they were discussing something. they looked like some officials. i jus climbed the steps that was closed and asked them as to when it was opening. i also asked the person if it was opening tomo. he said that all those are roumors and that PVR will open in feb last week or march 1st week and that it will mostly be march 1st week. and looking from the work that needs to be completed, like installing some ticketing machines, movie posters, illuminated boards, and moreover some plastering works that still remain it definitely soesnt seem like it is going to open tomo.

#520 ·
Hi im new to SSC and this is my first post.
Hey ChennaiIndian, PVR is not another mayajaal. PVR cinemas are good. I would say they are not as good as Satyam but far better than Inox and mayajaal as i have seen in hyderabad, banglore and delhi. So its good that chennai is getting another good multiplex to enjoy movies. Seriously we still need better quality cinemas.