daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Infrastructure & Transportation > Railways and Transportation

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 7th, 2010, 12:03 AM   #2141
IchimaruGin1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

well how many people can be contained as max capacity in an average coach? multiply that by 4 and you have the max capacity

cause capacity figures are well different as per site.
IchimaruGin1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 7th, 2010, 12:06 AM   #2142
bhargavsura

Why do you multiply by 4? The max capacity is what rated by the manufacturer as the load it can hold. Anything much greater than that can harm the train's functionalities. Then the newspapers will blame the train manufacturer.
Old April 7th, 2010, 12:16 AM   #2143
Abhishek901

Likes (Received): 1204

Quote:
Originally Posted by IchimaruGin1 View Post
well how many people can be contained as max capacity in an average coach? multiply that by 4 and you have the max capacity

cause capacity figures are well different as per site.
And you forgot frequency ? Capacity of a metro system = capacity per coach X no. of coaches X trains per hour

If capacity per coach is 250 and coaches are 4 and trains per hour = 20 (frequency of 3 min), then capacity = 20,000 pax per hour per direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhargavsura View Post
Why do you multiply by 4? The max capacity is what rated by the manufacturer as the load it can hold. Anything much greater than that can harm the train's functionalities. Then the newspapers will blame the train manufacturer.
I think he was talking about number of coaches in the train.
Abhishek901 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2010, 12:23 AM   #2144
IchimaruGin1
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhishek901 View Post
And you forgot frequency ? Capacity of a metro system = capacity per coach X no. of coaches X trains per hour

If capacity per coach is 250 and coaches are 4 and trains per hour = 20 (frequency of 3 min), then capacity = 20,000 pax per hour per direction.

I think he was talking about number of coaches in the train.
yup

but as many sites state originally for the first year or so

it will be a frequency of 5min

so it will be 4 *250*12 =12,000 pax capatiy eventually rising to 20,000 and with 6 coaches and 3 min frequency 6*250*20= 30,000 pax capacity.
Old April 7th, 2010, 12:27 AM   #2145
Abhishek901

Likes (Received): 1204

Quote:
yup

but as many sites state originally for the first year or so

it will be a frequency of 5min

so it will be 4 *250*12 =12,000 pax capatiy eventually rising to 20,000 and with 6 coaches and 3 min frequency 6*250*20= 30,000 pax capacity.
I feel that MMRDA has assumed frequency of 90 sec (40 trains per hr) for 60,000 capacity (as mentioned on their website) or assumed 30 trains per hr and higher capacity of coaches (may be 350).
Abhishek901 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2010, 12:30 AM   #2146
IchimaruGin1
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhishek901 View Post
I feel that MMRDA has assumed frequency of 90 sec (40 trains per hr) for 60,000 capacity (as mentioned on their website) or assumed 30 trains per hr and higher capacity of coaches (may be 350).
well it doesnt co relate with the mumbai metro 1 website which says 3min

so all i can say is lets see what happens......

mmdra have a habbit of generating figures out of anywhere
Old April 7th, 2010, 02:10 PM   #2147
IchimaruGin1
BANNED

Metro II could be a sight to behold

Mumbai: A 1.5km stretch in the city could become one of the most picturesque urban sights in India. Already, the 4.7-km sealink is a cynosure of all eyes; now, a short stretch on the Santa Cruz-Kurla Link Road could give Mumbai another landmark infrastructure sight to behold.

The sight could be that of a flyover with motor vehicles, and alongside that a metro train or two plying. The Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA) is contemplating changing the realignment of the Charkop-Mankhurd metro line, also known as Metro-II.

The total length of SCLR is approximately 6km. The metro line and the SCLR bridges going parallel will be a stretch of 1.5km from near the SG Barve Marg and the Kurla Terminus area.

MMRDA metropolitan commissioner Ratnakar Gaikwad told DNA that the changes in alignment are being considered since there are too many structures coming in the way of the present alignment. “Though the 32-km-long second line will pose fewer challenges compared to the first, we will be compelled to make certain changes in alignment,” he said.

“The line does not pose any issue while it comes from Charkop taking the Link Road, Linking Road or even SV Road. However, once it reaches Bandra-Kurla-Complex and goes towards Kurla, it would require acquiring and removing several structures. Since we have witnessed massive delays in some of our other projects due to resettlement and rehabilitation issues, we are mooting some modifications in the alignment,” Gaikwad added.

“Keeping this in mind we may take the alignment parallel to the SCLR. Though the final alignment through SCLR is not finalised yet, the metro alignment will hit SCLR somewhere in Kurla and then keep following it till Chembur,” he said.

If the alignment is changed - adding at least 700 m to it - the total cost is certain to go up. Per km cost of an elevated metro is Rs200 crore. “Keeping this in mind, the cost may go up by at least Rs120 crore. Obviously, the contractor will charge MMRDA more. Thus, we have to keep this in mind while changing the alignment,” added a MMRDA official.

http://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/repor...behold_1366786
Old April 7th, 2010, 02:27 PM   #2148
fuwad

Likes (Received): 994

A clipping from DNA Mumbai : Tuesday April 6.

Copyright : DNA Mumbai.
fuwad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2010, 02:39 PM   #2149
sumant

Likes (Received): 15

saw this article yesterday. almost all the stations coming up are too close to the residential buildings and commercial buildings in the area and not just the weh and ghatkopar stations.
sumant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2010, 02:49 PM   #2150
IchimaruGin1
BANNED

this just tells me we should have spent the extra money and make this line underground........

those station areas are going to be fcuked. to small to handle the crowd

thanks but no thanks, i am, not giving my car up for that
Old April 7th, 2010, 02:54 PM   #2151
IchimaruGin1
BANNED

and would also like to add

how pathetic is our city.

People file PILs

Bad planning

construction pace too slow

11km in 4 years........great job.....
Old April 7th, 2010, 03:49 PM   #2152
buddy_rohan

Likes (Received): 5

its pathetic indeed. but i dont wanna trust the reporters a lot too. for example, when they say "where will the person land during footfalls", they might just assume something. stations are not complete yet, there will be safeguards for commuters.

However, WEH station, squeezed between two buildings is somethin really bad, too close to the balcony of that unfortunate resident. but this route was the most cramped one from the beginning, this was expected (unless they went underground).

Hope its not cramped on line 2 (except at kurla probably).
buddy_rohan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2010, 04:01 PM   #2153
IchimaruGin1
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy_rohan View Post
its pathetic indeed. but i dont wanna trust the reporters a lot too. for example, when they say "where will the person land during footfalls", they might just assume something. stations are not complete yet, there will be safeguards for commuters.

However, WEH station, squeezed between two buildings is somethin really bad, too close to the balcony of that unfortunate resident. but this route was the most cramped one from the beginning, this was expected (unless they went underground).

Hope its not cramped on line 2 (except at kurla probably).
well i expect the BKC section not to be cramped on line 2.

Cant say about the rest of the line.

all this would be avoided if they went underground.
Old April 7th, 2010, 05:10 PM   #2154
Indian Rockstars
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuwad View Post
A clipping from DNA Mumbai : Tuesday April 6.

Copyright : DNA Mumbai.
I am so sorry to say...but this is absolutely "PATHETIC"....its risk for all.....where was the planning department for MMRC???? how can i plan like this be passed at first place....!!!!
it would have definitely brought down the property rates in that area...people there would be really pissed off....

so sorry to interrupt you guys ...but the whole article makes me sad as i thought new infra development should be done with proper planning with all the above analysis and technology...
Indian Rockstars no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2010, 05:25 PM   #2155
IchimaruGin1
BANNED

^
they should have gone undergrounf
Old April 7th, 2010, 05:31 PM   #2156
sumant

Quote:
and would also like to add

how pathetic is our city.

People file PILs

Bad planning

construction pace too slow

11km in 4 years........great job.....
People file PIL because of shit like this..... And btw metro line 2 is also gonna have same problem especially when it passes thru western suburbs.God save us all from this idiots .What the hell was reliance doing in all this .
Old April 7th, 2010, 05:42 PM   #2157
kingfisher09
Mumbai, Toronto

Likes (Received): 16

Not sure why we are all surprised now. This was expected in Andheri. I live in Andher(West) close to the metro line and it is crowded with no place for any sort of additional construction. I would say that it is an engineering feat that they are actually able to build a metro through these over-crowded and cramped streets withoy pulling down any buildings.

Agree that life for those living next to metro is really going to be tough once the metro starts with all the noise, probably vibrations and dust pollution.

The metro should have been planned to be an unground one from day one. At least this way they would not have to deal with all the PIL's and the Western railway (bridge construction over the existing railway tracks) and life would have been easier for everyone. Would cost more though.

As for the neswpapers, well they need to sell copies.
kingfisher09 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2010, 05:42 PM   #2158
IchimaruGin1
BANNED

well based on this progress

we can expect line 2 to be completed in 2020

cause trust me I see an epic battle happening at Juhu
Old April 7th, 2010, 05:45 PM   #2159
sumant

Quote:
well based on this progress

we can expect line 2 to be completed in 2020

cause trust me I see an epic battle happening at Juhu
I see it happening even before that when they touch bandra (w) link road to be precise.
Old April 7th, 2010, 05:51 PM   #2160
IchimaruGin1
BANNED

they should have completed the bandra to colaba line first

which was underground , but now seems to be more elevated by the day

I would rather have one nice line in the city underground than three which are above ground and useless.

This is why i hate the congress. Maharashtra needs Gadkari badly. somebody who can get things done at a decent pace.

also people need to probe how the hell anil gets all the deals. Clearly I dont think his company has the proper expertise for this.

Just look at Ghatkopar station from pics posted in this thread. Does anybody think it can handle the load of all the central railways people who want to change?

Tags
mumbai