daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Infrastructure & Transportation > Railways and Transportation

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 30th, 2010, 12:08 PM   #3341
Indiadreams
indiadreams

Likes (Received): 1251

Quote:
Originally Posted by williemore View Post
dude... Mumbai gets hell loads of rainfall, more than any other major city in this world... if u beg to differ??... n even cities like NY, Philly, whew... goddamn any other major city has planned drainage and rainwater dispersal systems... i am only about curious to know how these things wud be handled in Mumbai... m sure MMRDA or whoever is behind this has a plan but wat can it possibly be...
Annual rainfall of the cities

Singapore - 235 cm
Hong Kong -235 cm
Kuala Lumpur - 240 cm
Bombay - 220 cm
Calcutta - 158 cm

If Singapore, Hong Kong and our own Calcutta can manage underground Metro, I dont see any reason, why Bombay cannot.
Indiadreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 30th, 2010, 12:36 PM   #3342
KuwarOnline
kuwaronline

Likes (Received): 890

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiadreams View Post

Singapore - 235 cm
Hong Kong -235 cm
Kuala Lumpur - 240 cm
Bombay - 220 cm
Calcutta - 158 cm

If Singapore, Hong Kong and our own Calcutta can manage underground Metro, I dont see any reason, why Bombay cannot.
hmm, that average rain fall, but if I recollect my memories of 2005 flooding in one day it was 994mm, I dont think so any Indian city is designed to handle this one. If you forgot 2005 flooding see nat geo the usually show Mumbai flooding within every 2-3 weeks. If this happens again and metro fails to run, like locals then its waste of money, I know they must be taken care of this situation, but still I dont believe them unless is get tested by mother nature.

source
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mumbai
KuwarOnline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2010, 07:31 PM   #3343
jubin
chembur ka chokra

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuwarOnline View Post
hmm, that average rain fall, but if I recollect my memories of 2005 flooding in one day it was 994mm, I dont think so any Indian city is designed to handle this one. If you forgot 2005 flooding see nat geo the usually show Mumbai flooding within every 2-3 weeks. If this happens again and metro fails to run, like locals then its waste of money, I know they must be taken care of this situation, but still I dont believe them unless is get tested by mother nature.

source
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mumbai
??

so we should first build some sort of swanky "world class" ;-) drainage system. then wait for another 100 cm rainfall day. make sure everything worked as expected and only then think of an u/g metro?

every city has its own issues. there are u/g metros in los angeles and san francisco, both eartquake prone cities. singapore was flooded as well (3 times this year). if they can dig a hole in the ground i think bombay will be just fine.
Old September 30th, 2010, 09:56 PM   #3344
williemore

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiadreams View Post

Singapore - 235 cm
Hong Kong -235 cm
Kuala Lumpur - 240 cm
Bombay - 220 cm
Calcutta - 158 cm

Singapore has two monsoon seasons... KL has 6 months of monsoons... n dunno about Calcutta... but Bbay has only about 3-4 months of torrential rainfall... so the figure you got above for Bbay is annual practically over only 3 months... and other cities are also better prepared... with or w/o u/c stations, I am assuming they don't have as many rainwater pools during monsoon... just assuming tho... but Mumbai already has a clogging problem... it is close to flooding in urban cities... then how will this be handled... but i cud be wrong...

Last edited by williemore; October 1st, 2010 at 12:42 AM.
williemore no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2010, 10:40 PM   #3345
sgups

Likes (Received): 48

its not just the rainfall, one has to take into account underground water systems, soil type, etc. How much land in Kolkatta is land that was reclaimed from the sea? Think about the issues around that. However, an underground metro is not unrealistic in bombay but a lot of factors have to be taken into account when deciding to build a series of tunnels and not because other metros who also get lot of rainfall have built it.
sgups no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2010, 08:14 AM   #3346
Bombay Boy

Likes (Received): 12

how many people here have been in bombay during the monsoons? do you know which are the areas that get flooded? its not all over the city

and its quite easy to have a slightly elevated entrance to the station that keeps it above the water. its simple engineering, not some high-tech expensive solution
Bombay Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2010, 08:41 PM   #3347
fuwad

Likes (Received): 994

Metro Work In Progress JP Road Andheri West from Navrang Cinema to SV Road.

fuwad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2010, 08:43 PM   #3348
fuwad

No Sign of Metro Rail Overbridge on JP Road (Bridge crossing railwayline)

No right turn from sv road.

Last edited by fuwad; October 5th, 2010 at 06:52 PM.
Old October 3rd, 2010, 11:53 AM   #3349
fuwad

Underground or over? U-turn IIT prof leaves MMRDA confused

By: Anshu Awasthi Date: 2010-10-03 Place: Mumbai

IIT Bombay prof vouches for elevated metro in the city in 2003 but in 2010, he wants underground metro for Juhu-Bandra. MMRDA baffled

In 2003, a group of professors including those from IIT Bombay were part of a committee set up to the elevated metro rail plan. IIT professor S L Dhingra was on the team. The plan chalked out by the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) along with IIT Bombay and Tata Consultancy Services, was accepted by the Mumbai Metro Region Development Authority (MMRDA).

Six years later, S L Dhingra was approached by the Juhu Vile Parle Development (JVPD) citizen's association to conduct a comparative evaluation between elevated and underground metros, to help them figure which was better for the suburb.

In a 64-page report, Dhingra concluded that the underground metro was technically, socially and economically more viable.

This U-turn has left the MMRDA in quite a fix since Dhingra who was previously on the metro committee, has suddenly switched preference from an elevated to an underground railway line.

The route in question is the second corridor of the metro from Charkop to Mankhurd, which has been surrounded by controversies from day one. Everyone, from citizens to actors, have been protesting the elevated metro rail.

"If Dhingra had come up with a suggestion for an underground metro to the DMRC in 2003, the authorities would have taken it into consideration. Now it's late for us to change our plan. All tenders have already been floated, the soil testing has been done and work is scheduled to start next month," said Dilip Kawatkar, spokesperson, MMRDA.

Dhingra justified his changed stance, saying, "In 2003, the elevated metro rail was a master plan for Mumbai but it wasn't region specific. Recently, when Juhu and Bandra citizens approached me, I realised after research that an underground metro in those areas could alleviate their grievances."

Explaining why the underground route would be cheaper, Dhingra added, "An elevated metro is more expensive, and will require land acquisition. The land cost for an underground metro would be zero since underground land doesn't belong to anyone."

The JVPD association members admitted that they were aware that Dhingra was already part of a committee that had suggested the elevated metro. "We just wanted a knowledgeable person to conduct thorough research. Had the MMRDA asked for a region-wise report earlier, Dhingra may have suggested the same," said Sujay Jairaj, member of the Juhu Vile Parle Development Scheme Association.

http://www.mid-day.com/news/2010/oct...ews-mumbai.htm
Old October 3rd, 2010, 12:01 PM   #3350
sumant

Likes (Received): 15

yeh dhingra saab ek number ka ch****ya hain.
sumant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2010, 12:03 PM   #3351
fuwad

Debate in Maharashtra Times on Metro Rail - Elevated or Underground. (in marathi between Ratnakar Gaikwad and Aashish Shelar)

अन्यथा मेट्रो शक्य नाही!
- रत्नाकर गायकवाड ( आयुक्त, एमएमआरडीए )

भूमिगत मेट्रोच व्यवहार्य
- आशिष शेलार ( भाजप गटनेते, मुंबई महपालिका )

http://maharashtratimes.indiatimes.c...ow/6674748.cms

Last edited by fuwad; October 3rd, 2010 at 12:15 PM.
Old October 3rd, 2010, 09:23 PM   #3352
bharatiya
Swag Unmatched

Likes (Received): 27

Bandra-Mankhurd should at least start.... and Dahisar-Andheri also, this way were linking up and eventually making one line after u/g is approved.
bharatiya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2010, 12:13 PM   #3353
Indiadreams
indiadreams

Likes (Received): 1251

Bandra W - Mankhurd will have more problems than Bandra - Andheri. It crosses three railway lines (and may be slums too). Hope they settle those problems in the mean time. Else it will become another SCLR.
Indiadreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2010, 08:31 PM   #3354
pyratun
Currently: Metro Fanatic

Likes (Received): 10

An elevated metro makes sense for most of the low lying areas on ANdheri Kurla Road. But for other phases it looks like there is more than what is seen or discussed. The reason why MMRDA is so keen on an elevated track is because then it would have to spend far less on safety and upkeep, than it would have had to in an underground metro. Thus, lesser reliance on Centre funds. If you track the bread crumbs backwards, you ll see that the basic reason is the bickering and ego clashes between State and Center on who gets the bigger pie of the real estate boom and the revenue that the metro will generate. In all these discussions of the metro, no where have I heard about parking plans around metro stations, the widening of access roads, the plans to keep encroachers at bay (Being state run, the stations at Metro in all likelihood will be taken over by hawkers and sellers) and safety and evacuation procedures. The placement of columns, pillars has been surreptitiously changed many times without much reason (I had the opportunity of looking up one of the "Independent Engineers Audit" who comprised mainly of MMRDA officials), to suit shops and avoid litigation. No reason regarding the safety and suitability of structure was given. Also, the access roads to the metro stations are being widened rather arbitrarily and only cosmetic changes are made. For example, some shops near andheri station were not even touched for road widening, thus making the rest of the road forward, unusable.
pyratun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2010, 11:23 PM   #3355
occupiedinthought

Likes (Received): 0

Hi Pyratun...welcome! Can you give some more insights on bidding for the future metro routes if you do have access to MMRDA officials...? When do they plan to start bidding for the colaba-bandra and charkop-dahisar sections ? thanks!
occupiedinthought no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2010, 03:38 AM   #3356
rosegunner

Likes (Received): 1

What is the expected date of completion? Plz reply!
rosegunner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2010, 05:26 AM   #3357
codedj

Likes (Received): 0

If I am not mistaken it was supposed to be completed by the end of this year. That date has now been moved to mid-next year with the trial runs some time in March followed by public access some time in August.

My feeling is that it will get delayed further and public access will be some time in October.

Update: Found the article where I read this
http://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/repor...t-2011_1440852
codedj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2010, 09:54 AM   #3358
fuwad

Our Metro is running late

Mumbai Mirror 5-10-2010.
Ravikiran Deshmukh & Geeta Desai [email protected]

No way can MMRDA meet the June 2011 deadline for Versova-Andheri-Ghatkopar line,say activists who surveyed the corridor

Perhaps,bravado is part of training imparted to those involved in development projects.Even then,MMRDA officials have to be the bravest of the lot.These pictures depict ground reality of the Metro project connecting Versova,Andheri and Ghatkopar.But MMRDA officials are confident trains will run on this 11-km corridor by June 2011.

Around two weeks ago,MMRDA Commissioner Ratnakar Gaikwad met residents of areas that are being affected by the construction.Post meeting,residents decided to conduct a survey of the corridor themselves,to prove MMRDAs claims are tall and hollow.

Activist Sherley Singh,who is secretary of Juhu Scheme Resident Association (JSRA),and architect Nitin Killawala,spent days studying every aspect of the construction and came away disappointed.They list a few reasons why the project cannot meet the June 2011 deadline.

WORK AT STATIONS

Of the 12 stations,only three have reached the slab level.To meet the deadline,50 per cent construction on the route should have been over by this time.Singh and Killawala found not a single station ready. Singh said,I am a layman,but my estimation is,the project will go on till at least 2018.The corridor will have to go over Andheri Railway Station. But even the design for that is not ready.

NO FIRE DEPT NOC

Fire Department said the question of giving the project a no-objection certificate does not arise,as the plan has no safety standards in place.

Chief Fire Officer Uday Tatkare said,We have posed several queries to MMRDA,and have pointed out loopholes in the project.Our officers visited Delhi to study the Metro there,and we have our doubts about the Mumbai project.

SAFETY SYSTEM NOT CLEAR

Tatkare raised the point,asking,We want to know about the fallback plan when train develops technical snags.What will happen after the train stops in its tracks

ONLY 247 PILLARS ARE READY

At a lot of spots along the corridor,an odd pillar stands in the middle of dug-up roads.Looking at those spots,it is obvious that if work starts on war-footing now,MMRDA will have some hope of getting the basics in place by June 2011. As of now,only 247 pillars of the 450 pillars are ready. Singh said,Even these 200-plus pillars are in various stages of construction.Which means,only 2.4- km of viaduct (tracks) is installed out of total 11.8-km route. She said at this rate,the entire route can take up almost a decade to get ready.

Singh said had MMRDA opted for the latest tunnel technology for the project,it would have ensured all tracks are 40ft below the ground,resulting in no disturbance to existing infrastructure.

We definitely want Metro in Mumbai,but we want that MMRDA to consider all options for the future eight corridors based on Versova-Andheri-Ghatkopar line, she said.

MMRDA CONFIDENT

Dilip Kawathkar,Joint Project Director,MMRDA,said work was going better than planned.He said,We advanced our earlier deadline of March 2012 after taking into consideration pace of the work.The civil work will be over as per the new deadline of June 2011,and we have the necessary NOCs.

Last edited by fuwad; October 5th, 2010 at 10:31 AM.
Old October 5th, 2010, 10:06 AM   #3359
fuwad

Our Metro is running late

Mumbai Mirror 05-10-2010
Ravikiran Deshmukh & Geeta Desai [email protected]

No way can MMRDA meet the June 2011 deadline for Versova-Andheri-Ghatkopar line,say activists who surveyed the corridor

While the MMRDA is confident that the project is well on track,a recent survey has revealed that only three of the 12 stations have reached slab level and the department is yet to procure a fire department NOC

http://lite.epaper.timesofindia.com/...e=&publabel=MM
Old October 5th, 2010, 06:29 PM   #3360
kingfisher09
Mumbai, Toronto

Likes (Received): 16

From the pictures posted by Fuwad and Coolguyz in the past on this forum it was clear that the project would not be completed on time. Maybe these architects and MMRDA officials need to vist this forum to check for construction updates rather than wasting a day going around the metro route for updates. MMRDA and Reliance Metro are late in everything, including updating their own freakin' websites. What more could we have expected from them.

Bangalore metro is in the later stages of construction and roofs are already being laid for station buildings and I believe construction there started after Mumbai. We will have our reaons as to why Mumbai metro was delayed, but the stage it is at right now is a joke.
kingfisher09 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
mumbai