daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area > Completed Manchester Projects

Completed Manchester Projects Completed projects in the Greater Manchester area.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Old February 14th, 2009, 06:12 PM   #1
twentysix

Likes (Received): 0

Eastbank | Great Ancoats St / Every St | Ancoats | 5 fl

I don't suppose anybody knows what is going on with Artisans 'Eastside Phase 5' scheme do they?

It's the cube-thing that has been sitting stagnant behind Albion Mill/American Golf (borders Pollard, Great Ancoats and Every Street) for months. Given the speed at which the rest of Albion Works/Advent went up, this seems to be going extremely slow.

twentysix no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 14th, 2009, 07:05 PM   #2
CDX
Keep Changing.

Is it much progressed from this then?

Quote:
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....hase_over.html
Lower Eastside Valley, Ancoats, is being developed by Artisan Ship Canal Developments - a joint venture between Artisan Holdings, Peel Holdings and Manchester city council.
If this is a venture between the three then i'm surprised it hasn't been finished...
CDX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2009, 07:24 PM   #3
CDX
Keep Changing.

Has the block infront been started, phase IV?

Being developed by Space Developments, looking at companies house, their accounts are overdue...

Quote:
Company No. 02119107
Name & Registered Office:
SPACE DEVELOPMENTS UK LIMITED
Next Accounts Due: 31/10/2008 OVERDUE
Old February 14th, 2009, 07:52 PM   #4
twentysix

Ha! It has progressed 'a little' further than the aerial view but not that much CDX. In fact nothing has really changed since early December.

The small cube building has windows, a roof (there is often some lone construction worker walking on top of it...perhaps a bad sign), and some internal cladding. It seems to have been sealed from the elements but that's about it.

There were meant to be a series of town houses [quite cool ones] going next to the Cube and I've no idea if/how they're progressing.

As for the tennis court building - I didn't realise that belonged to Space and not Artisan. Looks like that may have died a death along with the HKR building that was meant to sit on American Golf.

Oh well! At least Chips is looking good!
Old February 16th, 2009, 02:17 PM   #5
macc

Likes (Received): 20

These, in particluar the neigbouring Milliners Wharf, will be on the doorstep of Pollard Street metrolink station.

If you are on the higher floors of some of these buildings I wonder if you could see large expanses of the metrolink track to the East and actually time the leaving of your flat to practically walk straight onto a tram every time. How good would that be?

Milliners Wharf and some of Artisan's blocks could have the most convenient tram link (for accommodation) in the city. You'd be in Piccadilly gardens or the Arndale within 8-9 minutes of leaving your front door.

I was walking around it the other day and I think this will become a far more popular place to live once the tram arrives.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 08:47 PM   #6
CDX
Keep Changing.

I think this is Advent Phase V.... might get finished after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Burn View Post
Can anyone describe to me where the Advent Phase 5 site is? I think I know what the Ice Plant is. Is this an apartment block that is currently under 'go-slow' construction? I think I saw it from Oldham Road as I passed in a taxi this morning.

Anyway this is great news! This should have been happening about 12 months ago though when the banks were dying on their knees and it was these developments and the workers who were suffering
Quote:
Boost for east Manchester housing schemes
Published Monday 3rd August 09

Five east Manchester housing schemes are earmarked for a share of a £25 million grant from a Government scheme aimed at re-starting stalled developments that have been affected by the recession.

Funded through the Kickstart programme managed by the national housing and regeneration body the Homes and Communities Agency (HCA), the east Manchester schemes shortlisted for funding include:

City East Phase 2 (Gleeson) - 46 houses and six flats between Ashton Old Road and Grey Mare Lane, Beswick. This development will help create a more balanced housing market in this part of Manchester, help support economic and social inclusion, and ensure wider access to appropriate housing in sustainable, mixed and vibrant communities.

Advent Phase 5, Ancoats (ASCD)
- 29 houses and 79 flats on Great Ancoats Street, between New Islington and the Lower Medlock Valley, close to St Ann's with St Cuthbert's RC primary school and the proposed new primary school in New Islington. This development will create homes that meet local needs, demands and aspirations, and are sensitive to local environments.

Sportcity (Countryside Properties) - 72 houses and 15 flats on a site bounded by Archer Street, Fairclough Street and Stuart Street north of Manchester Velodrome in Clayton. Building homes for sale on this site will improve tenure mix and aid the development of an attractive neighbourhood where people choose to establish roots and which grow to become sustainable communities.

Ice Plant Ancoats (Northern Group) - 82 homes in Blossom Street, Ancoats Urban Village, to help improve the tenure mix close to the city centre. The development will also include approximately 15,000 square feet of retail/commercial space that will provide long-term employment and much-needed commercial activity in the area.

Miles Platting PFI (Lovell) - 79 houses on three sites that will improve the choice of high quality housing for sale and complement the wider area renewal by the Renaissance consortium on behalf of Manchester City Council. The three sites are behind the Apple Building on Oldham Road, between Iron Street and Sandal Street, and between Sandal Street and Sabden Close

Subject to meeting the HCA's requirements on good design, value for money, financial viability and risk, as well as an assessment of quick delivery, support will be given to these developments as well as two others in the Manchester area.

If successful, the additional funding would come from the £1.06 billion for development projects across the country recently announced by Housing Minister John Healey.

Eddie Smith, Chief Executive for New East Manchester said: "This news is a real boost for east Manchester and will help keep our regeneration plans on track. One of our priorities is to build new homes in area and this funding will help us achieve this goal."

Deborah McLaughlin, North West Regional Director of the Agency, said: "The Kickstart programme is a fantastic opportunity to provide vitally important new homes and jobs for communities in Manchester and across the North West. I'm delighted that the region has responded so positively and that we now have the chance to bring forward so many blocked schemes."

For further information on New East Manchester visit www.neweastmanchester.com
Old August 24th, 2009, 06:29 PM   #7
Comdot
Taikun

Likes (Received): 24

sorry but east mancs had oversupply before the recession. the R word is a great smoke screen for everything that's gone wrong for any business over the last few years.

have we all forgotten that the uk housing market was coming off the boil before the credit crunch...
Comdot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2009, 07:40 PM   #8
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comdot View Post
sorry but east mancs had oversupply before the recession. the R word is a great smoke screen for everything that's gone wrong for any business over the last few years.

have we all forgotten that the uk housing market was coming off the boil before the credit crunch...
Is this scheme private or public housing?
andysimo123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2009, 08:04 PM   #9
Comdot
Taikun

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysimo123 View Post
Is this scheme private or public housing?
advent phase 5? private i think.

i'm just wondering if pumping money into these schemes has been properly thought through, afterall whats the point when the rest of the economy isnt getting help, and nobody can afford mortgages. if they want to bail out industries, which is what this is, why are they bailing this one out. it's a huge topic of discussion though, who has time.
Old August 24th, 2009, 09:03 PM   #10
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comdot View Post
advent phase 5? private i think.

i'm just wondering if pumping money into these schemes has been properly thought through, afterall whats the point when the rest of the economy isnt getting help, and nobody can afford mortgages. if they want to bail out industries, which is what this is, why are they bailing this one out. it's a huge topic of discussion though, who has time.
Strange. You'd have thought government money would have gone into public housing not private. Then again the government is looking to make its own money.
andysimo123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2009, 09:44 PM   #11
Comdot
Taikun

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysimo123 View Post
Strange. You'd have thought government money would have gone into public housing not private. Then again the government is looking to make its own money.
i don't know, andy. i don't know how the government can pick and choose between projects for which they offer support to. is it fair? no idea.
Old August 25th, 2009, 01:10 AM   #12
CDX
Keep Changing.

I think the fact that this was a partially complete development, in a key regeneration area might have something to do with it, like the Ice Plant scheme. MCC having some involvement in this might be another reasoning.

I can see that a housing association will buy up a chunk of the properties in this, similar to what has happened with Chips where about 1/3 have been bought up by one.

BTW went past this today, the cube block looks pretty complete externally...not the most attractive build ever.

Last edited by CDX; August 25th, 2009 at 04:16 PM.
Old October 8th, 2009, 06:36 PM   #13
twentysix

I can't find the old thread for this but there are updated renders in the communal areas of Albion Works for the American Golf site on Pollard Street/Gt Ancoats next door.

HKR are still going to develop this into a hotel (apparently Etap), block of flats and possibly a supermarket.

I've took some photos on my old phone but haven't a clue how to upload them on here. I just keep getting a 'http://' thingy when I try to insert images.
Old October 8th, 2009, 06:41 PM   #14
twentysix

http://i34.tinypic.com/mrtunm.jpg

http://i38.tinypic.com/258tdaf.jpg

Aha!

Sorry for low quality...very old phone!

Last edited by twentysix; October 8th, 2009 at 06:53 PM.
Old October 8th, 2009, 06:41 PM   #15
CDX
Keep Changing.

To display images you need to upload them to somewhere like tinypic.com, then just place [ IMG] [ /IMG] tags around the image address(minus the spaces) or click on the icon above, hope this helps...

Last edited by CDX; October 13th, 2009 at 03:16 PM.
Old October 8th, 2009, 06:45 PM   #16
twentysix

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDX View Post
To display images you need to upload them to somewhere like tinypic.com, then just place [ IMG] [ /IMG] tags around the image address(minus the spaces) or click on the icon above, hope this helps...
Tah, CDX. Embarassingly simple! I'm ashamed of myself!!!!
Old October 13th, 2009, 02:43 PM   #17
CDX
Keep Changing.

I guess this new app relates to this...
Quote:
091441/OO/2009/N2
Land At Junction Of Pollard Street And Great Ancoats Street, Ancoats, Manchester

Full application for the erection of two buildings, one building a maximum of 7 storeys comprising hotel and ancillary facilities and Class A1/A2/A3/A4 and A5 (maximum of 4884 sqm ) and one building a maximum of five storeys comprising Class B1(a) office accommodation and Class A1/A2/A3/A4 and A5 (maximum of 3738 sqm including mezzanine), together with means of access, car parking, landscaping and associated works and - Outline application for mixed use development comprising one building (6300 sqm) for uses with Class B1(a), A1, A2, A3, A4 and A5, means of access and associated works (all matters reserved except means of access)
No docs online yet.
Old January 31st, 2010, 01:12 PM   #18
twentysix

I've seen a few people popping in and out of the Advent 5 scheme at the back of Albion Works and read somewhere that Artisan/Peel (whoever is finishing this I have no idea) are due to get back on site in February for completion in June 2011 - that's the houses and 'cube' building that recieved kickstart funding.
Old January 31st, 2010, 01:15 PM   #19
twentysix

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDX View Post
I guess this new app relates to this...

No docs online yet.
I'm sure there might be an update on this one elsewhere on the forum but the hotel and office application by HKR was passed. The derelict American Golf building and old furniture shop behind it should be getting flattened very soon.
Old March 19th, 2010, 07:59 PM   #20
davepike

Phase 5

There are two separate projects going off - the HKR hotel / shop one (which probably should be in another thread?), and phase 5 (which has been dormant for ages)

However, there are some docs about a planning permission change to the phase 5 - here if anyone is interested. Plenty of plans etc.. to look at and go "why?" over. http://www.publicaccess.manchester.g...=KYLU6GBC00700

The HKR one is on their site - http://www.hkrarchitects.com/, click Projects => Pollard Street. They have surrounded the site with some new (bright red) hoardings, and they have started to dig up the carpark over the last week or two, so it looks like something is happening.
davepike no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: