daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Sunderland and Durham

Sunderland and Durham For Sunderland, Washington, County Durham

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 11th, 2010, 02:28 PM   #1
denm

Likes (Received): 153

Sunderland and Durham Area - Arts, Culture, Museums, Libraries, etc

I was looking through the threads and noticed there isn't a one regarding the Arts and Culture, -----so I thought I would start a thread which would cover the many and varied forms of Art and Culture within our areas, --including, --Galleries / Paintings / Literature / Theatres / Museums and Public Art, ---

I will start with a piece about the Sunderland Empire Theatre, ---

this Magnificent Theatre was built in --1907, ---and has played host to a multitude of stars from stage screen and television, ---in recent years the Empire has been refurbished, ---and can now put on --West end Shows, --also ---Opera and Ballet productions, ----the capacity of the Theatre is around 2,000, -- to me, --This beautiful Theatre is a Gem, --and a must see / visit Attraction in Sunderland.

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; October 21st, 2010 at 02:31 PM.
denm no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 20th, 2010, 02:02 PM   #2
kingdom bhoy

Likes (Received): 76

Royalty Theatre – Possible Closure

Just seen the Echo billboard which said the above iin Chester Rd s going to close

Last edited by kingdom bhoy; January 20th, 2010 at 02:13 PM.
kingdom bhoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 02:24 PM   #3
YorkshireMackem

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdom bhoy View Post
Just seen the Echo billboard which said the above iin Chester Rd s going to close
This is a real shame as it is somewhere I have enjoyed going down the years for Christmas pantos, having grown up in the Chester Road area.

Unfortunately I just don't think places like this can survive in the modern day when people prefer to stay in and watch X-Factor rather than go and see a very good amateur theatre production. It also has the disadvantage of being very close to a world-class theatre in the Empire, especially since it has been expanded. Im sure funding could be found in the short term to keep it going, but I just dont think it would survive long term.
YorkshireMackem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 03:38 PM   #4
denm

It will be a real shame if this Theatre is to close, ---it's been going for 86 years and is a Community Theatre, ---but as has been said, ---people have many more choices these Days, --and the numbers are not their anymore, --it's a shame and I do hope the place can survive, --but it doesn't look to good.
Old January 21st, 2010, 12:25 AM   #5
horokeio
Ma nishma?

Likes (Received): 8

It read more to me like a few grand's worth of publicity for a business that is stuggling with recession rather like many other non-essential luxury providers. "Under threat" is very different to "to close". Especially when, according to the report, "the theatre recently raised £150,000 through a series of fund-raising events to help revamp the building".

I agree with what's been said above though and I hope it goes on to survive and thrive as we gradually ease past the worst of the recession.
horokeio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 12:26 AM   #6
horokeio
Ma nishma?

P.S. The Echo report is here:

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/R...at-.5997099.jp
Old January 24th, 2010, 07:44 PM   #7
denm

There was a piece on local TV tonight highlighting the Theatre, ----must say the interior looks good since it was refurbished, ---hope it survives.
Old January 29th, 2010, 04:47 PM   #8
kingdom bhoy

Good letter in the Echo the other night on why the Royalty theatre should be saved.
Old January 29th, 2010, 04:51 PM   #9
denm

Quote:
Good letter in the Echo the other night on why the Royalty theatre should be saved.

Never read the letter, --but I will agree with their sentiments, ---I think it should be saved, --it will be a shame if it closes.
Old January 29th, 2010, 04:54 PM   #10
kingdom bhoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by denm View Post
Never read the letter, --but I will agree with their sentiments, ---I think it should be saved, --it will be a shame if it closes.

I should get myself down there I live less than 5 minutes walk from it !
Old January 29th, 2010, 05:04 PM   #11
denm

Quote:
I should get myself down there I live less than 5 minutes walk from it !
Thing is kb, --it's not everyone who likes the Theatre, ----I'm one who doesn't go to Theatres, --(well once in a blue moon like), --each to their own, --even so, ---I would think there are quite a number of people who are Theatre goers, --so lets hope they can keep the Royalty going.
Old January 31st, 2010, 11:01 PM   #12
sterock85
www.stafnmar.com

Likes (Received): 21

Hope this theatre can be saved, seems the people who work there are passionate about the place, and as long as there are people willing to make an effort then there's hope.

It's good for the city to have a smaller theatre.
Old February 1st, 2010, 11:26 AM   #13
denm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterock85 View Post
Hope this theatre can be saved, seems the people who work there are passionate about the place, and as long as there are people willing to make an effort then there's hope.

It's good for the city to have a smaller theatre.
I totally agree, ---and lets hope these people are suitably rewarded and the Theatre is saved.
Old February 5th, 2010, 12:08 AM   #14
kingdom bhoy

In the Echo tonight that the Royalty tickts sales have risen slightly.
Old February 5th, 2010, 04:56 PM   #15
denm

Quote:
In the Echo tonight that the Royalty tickts sales have risen slightly.

I read that piece, ---hope it's just the start and they can go on from here.
Old March 18th, 2010, 04:14 PM   #16
denm

Heres a bit better news for the Theatre, --this from the Echo, --

More bums on seats for Royalty Theatre

Published Date:
17 March 2010
By Katy Wheeler
More bums on seats are helping to boost the ailing fortunes of Sunderland's oldest community theatre.
The Royalty, off Chester Road, faced closure due to dwindling audience figures.

Wearsiders were asked to "use or lose" the venue, as theatre bosses urged more people to see its shows. The plea seems to have worked and the theatre's latest productiADVERTISEMENTon, Privates on Parade, proved to be a success. It played to a 64 per cent attendance figure – the best so far this season.

Anna Snell, vice-chairwoman at The Royalty, said: "Audience figures for Privates on Parade were up 20 per cent from our last production, which was Snake in the Grass. They are the sort of figures we would like to see all of the time.

"I think Privates on Parade appealed to a much wider audience, it had a lot of music and actors and was very funny.

"The recent press coverage has also helped a lot. I think people who may have drifted away from the theatre have come back."

The theatre's next production is Bouncers, which will run from April 14 to 17 in the Studio Theatre, which is used for shorter productions.

Written in the 1980s by John Godber, Bouncers was staged at The Royalty in 1990. Now, staff are reviving the no-holds-barred comedy about British nightlife.

Tickets can be purchased on the night - £6, (£5 for members of the Royalty Theatre) but as the studio has only a 60-seat capacity, people are advised to reserve them in advance.

For details, tel: 567 2669 during weekday evenings.
Old March 20th, 2010, 10:51 PM   #17
horokeio
Ma nishma?

I suspected reports of their "plight" were more of a marketing exercise than a sign of their survival being in genuine peril, but pleased nonetheless to hear that things are fine at the city's independent theatre.
Old March 22nd, 2010, 04:19 PM   #18
denm

I'm pleased the Theatre goers are going back to the Royalty, and lets hope it continues to improve.
Old July 5th, 2010, 04:39 PM   #19
denm

There is plenty of Public Art around, ---here are just two from the Riverside trail, --

and there's plenty more.
Old July 7th, 2010, 08:58 AM   #20
gld
In the brig

Likes (Received): 0

The Empire is a great old building, and like has been said it has the big west end shows now, I think people come from all over to the Empire, so its a big plus for the City.

btw, does anybody know is the Royalty still in business, because there was talk of it closing earlier this year.thanks.
gld no está en línea   Reply With Quote