daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > South > South India Projects > Tamil Nadu > Madurai

Old August 15th, 2014, 04:19 AM   #12201
athens of east

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANANTH View Post
MK, everyone knows Satyam case and how its promoters fooled the stock exchange, investors etc., Leave aside that point. But at the time of the matter came out, satyam had total of 52,000 people working in various development centre and the total set up has been absorbed by Tech Mahindra of Mahindra group. May be few hundreds or few thousands let off ( I am not sure about it).

So not pursuing with Satyam also a failure of state govt. Govt cant escape from that responsibility also. Had satyam come to Madurai then now the Madurai campus would have been part of Tech Mahindra.
I don't think so Satyam would have started the operations.
IT field got sluggish and all the companies put aside their growth plan.
Moreover Madurai being portrayed as violent city in till dates Movies and goon image by MKA affect Madurai so much.

Even jigarthanda Movie shows the violence based on Madurai. Come on guys for how many days will Madurai alone be portrayed in a bad way.

Madurai doesn't generate jobs. thats why Bodi-Madurai train route is neglected because it doesn't lead to Chennai in a shorter distance.

Also MKA promises like tractor factory,CIPET,etc didn't materialize.
No GCT, no central Govt university and MKU is know for it's internal politics.

The only ray of hope is Neutrino research centre.

we can find Madurai people working in Tea stalls ,hotels as unskilled labours in Chennai but we cant find any people for Western TN doing the same job in Chennai because Madurai doesn't generate employment.

Its high time people should start thinking sensible and push their demands.
Or else Buses and train from western and Northern TN will continue to be crowded.

Now I have no hopes on Madurai and infact decided not to invest in land or house in Madurai because I am sure that I will not be able to do the job which I do in Chennai and eventually Chennai will be my New home.
athens of east no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 15th, 2014, 08:02 PM   #12202
kumaranT

Likes (Received): 4

i think we r too much worrying about cinema..Every matured educated knows that movie is a movie..If some very good storied cinema shooted in X city,is it going to be developed over night?? Also money minded (only) cine industry make any kind of movies to make money except few sincere directors..

In my opinion, we need not worry too much...trend will change frequently...all madurai based movies also did not succeed.. there are some regular movies also like kulla nari koottam, Pandya nadu ..don't go too much level ..indian movies are using hero/villain fight stories for several decades..

activlely discussing what is needed for madurai & ensuring similar news comes in media is more important. As anand said, TN CMs are having some favourites places (cities,towns). Until they are swelling, they won't do anything concerte for other places..they will try to make all segments of people (villaga,town,city) happy with ration shop items and some social schems..
kumaranT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2014, 07:55 AM   #12203
JAYVIJAY

Likes (Received): 126

Mayor promises 24X7 drinking water supply for city

Quote:
Making an Independence Day promise to water-starved Madurai residents, Mayor V.V. Rajan Chellappa on Friday announced that the Corporation would launch 24X7 drinking water scheme soon.

The plan was to ensure continuous drinking water supply to the entire corporation area on a permanent basis, he said.

Speaking after unfurling the national flag on the 68{+t}{+h}Independence Day celebrations in the Corporation building here, the Mayor said the aim was to supply clean and safe drinking water to all areas in Madurai and an action plan would be prepared after obtaining permission from Chief Minister Jayalalithaa in this regard.

He also announced that an arts and science college would be established by the corporation which already ran 66 schools.

New one ,but question is its feasibility, as running a college is very different from school ..

A permanent exhibition enclave would be set up in the city to provide entertainment for the people from all walks of life.

It is much required and also pending for years .

The corporation further planned to construct a huge top-class sports stadium, he noted.

Good idea. If it is an indoor stadium , highly welcome.

Besides constructing a convention centre, the civic body was going to create another swimming pool in the city. He said the corporation would give priority to good roads and adequate street lights in all places.

This is also in news for years , hampering our industrial developments . Atleast, DPR/building plan is prepared & should get approved in this year itself .

Referring to the resolution passed in the corporation council meeting recently to relocate Arapalayam bus stand to Vilangudi for outstation buses, he said works would commence on the new bus stand after obtaining the government’s permission.

To reduce traffic congestion, the State government had decided to construct overbridges at Goripalayam and Kalavasal in the city through the Highways Department, he pointed out.

In tender stage ,I think

Mr. Rajan Chellappa outlined the various developmental works being carried out to enhance civic amenities in all wards of the corporation, especially in the newly added areas.

Corporation Commissioner C. Kathiravan, Deputy Mayor K. Thiraviam, councillors and corporation officials participated in the Independence Day celebrations. Students of corporation schools performed cultural programmes.
JAYVIJAY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2014, 09:07 AM   #12204
ANANTH

Likes (Received): 1072

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYVIJAY View Post
Most of the projects but college are already announced and it is in paper for few years. Let us wait and see, the progress.

We should take it with a pinch of salt, when State Govt or Madurai corporation announces something for Madurai because most of the announcements remain in paper only. ( I have excluded central govt because they never announce anything for Madurai or south TN. As far as central govt is concerned india exists only upto madras and kerala in south.)
Old August 16th, 2014, 10:07 AM   #12205
madurakarenda
Hyperactive User

Likes (Received): 494

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYVIJAY View Post
Keeral vizhundha gramaphone disc
madurakarenda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2014, 12:43 PM   #12206
JAYVIJAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANANTH View Post
Most of the projects but college are already announced and it is in paper for few years. Let us wait and see, the progress.

We should take it with a pinch of salt, when State Govt or Madurai corporation announces something for Madurai because most of the announcements remain in paper only. ( I have excluded central govt because they never announce anything for Madurai or south TN. As far as central govt is concerned india exists only upto madras and kerala in south.)
If this continues ,then people/activists/collector should tell him that follow Rlwy minister principle - first finish all the pending projects then go for a new one ...
Old August 16th, 2014, 12:49 PM   #12207
JAYVIJAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by madurakarenda View Post
Keeral vizhundha gramaphone disc
Atha than kekka vendiyathu iruku .. Epathan maatram varumo ...
Old August 16th, 2014, 06:03 PM   #12208
athens of east

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumaranT View Post
i think we r too much worrying about cinema..Every matured educated knows that movie is a movie..If some very good storied cinema shooted in X city,is it going to be developed over night?? Also money minded (only) cine industry make any kind of movies to make money except few sincere directors..

In my opinion, we need not worry too much...trend will change frequently...all madurai based movies also did not succeed.. there are some regular movies also like kulla nari koottam, Pandya nadu ..don't go too much level ..indian movies are using hero/villain fight stories for several decades..

activlely discussing what is needed for madurai & ensuring similar news comes in media is more important. As anand said, TN CMs are having some favourites places (cities,towns). Until they are swelling, they won't do anything concerte for other places..they will try to make all segments of people (villaga,town,city) happy with ration shop items and some social schems..
Kumaran,

When I was studying BE I told My friend that Govt is going to establish IT parks in Madurai, my friend laughed at me and stated that IT companies will start their operations in Coimbatore and atleast in tiruchi and what would they do in Madurai.

Though he has never visited Madurai ,this perception was due to Wrong portray of Madurai in movies.
People who know very less about Madurai get a impression that violence is more and a everyday people are killed on the streets.

Our people never See cinema as Cinema, that why Heroes have become CMs.

Also IT companies expect Infrastructure and other facilities to start their operations and Govt cant pressurize them.
Present Govt can bring Bus depot and other offices to srirangam but cant bring a IT company to srirangam.

Few lines from "The Hindu" on Anjaan Movie review:

And why is this movie named Anjaan, fearless, when it timorously ticks off all the audience boxes? There’s a nod to Madurai and the aruvaa culture. Telugu viewers are appeased through a cameo by Brahmanandam. Rajinikanth fans (or maybe Shah Rukh Khan fans) are lured by an impromptu ‘Lungi dance’ jig. Potential reviewers are wooed by the strategic placement of Tamil magazines on a cab’s dashboard. And if you love to count clichés, you have the good Muslim, the loyal friend (who really needs to get a room), the love interest who happens to be the enemy’s daughter…

hi2aravind liked this post

Last edited by athens of east; August 17th, 2014 at 04:04 AM.
athens of east no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2014, 08:21 AM   #12209
JAYVIJAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by athens of east View Post
Kumaran,

When I was studying BE I told My friend that Govt is going to establish IT parks in Madurai, my friend laughed at me and stated that IT companies will start their operations in Coimbatore and atleast in tiruchi and what would they do in Madurai.

Though he has never visited Madurai ,this perception was due to Wrong portray of Madurai in movies.
People who know very less about Madurai get a impression that violence is more and a everyday people are killed on the streets.

Our people never See cinema as Cinema, that why Heroes have become CMs.

Also IT companies expect Infrastructure and other facilities to start their operations and Govt cant pressurize them.
Present Govt can bring Bus depot and other offices to srirangam but cant bring a IT company to srirangam.

Few lines from "The Hindu" on Anjaan Movie review:

And why is this movie named Anjaan, fearless, when it timorously ticks off all the audience boxes? There’s a nod to Madurai and the aruvaa culture. Telugu viewers are appeased through a cameo by Brahmanandam. Rajinikanth fans (or maybe Shah Rukh Khan fans) are lured by an impromptu ‘Lungi dance’ jig. Potential reviewers are wooed by the strategic placement of Tamil magazines on a cab’s dashboard. And if you love to count clichés, you have the good Muslim, the loyal friend (who really needs to get a room), the love interest who happens to be the enemy’s daughter…
Its True. Many people are thinking/believing whatever films depict are true ,especially on cultural/traditional aspects ...

The above Baradwaj's one-liner is no exception .

Manytimes ,I have to fight/convince my friends in my workplace that Madurai(Madurai city) is not what movies are depicting so far ...

Even ,many friends from other cities ,questioned the use of our airport ,patronage ,etc... ???

Brand Madurai is tilted towards only on the cultural side & not on the economic ...

Its better film fraternities shun this type of film-making , for the betterment of their audiences ....
Old August 18th, 2014, 06:46 PM   #12210
ilikemadurai

Likes (Received): 29

I think filing a PIL is the only solution to end this nuisance. Airport PIL entha nelamaila irukutho ithu la ennoru PIL aah??
ilikemadurai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2014, 06:55 PM   #12211
ilikemadurai

Likes (Received): 29

R. Annadurai, MLA: “The Corporation has been letting sewage into the river in 67 places within the city limits”
Quote:
Wild growth of ‘seemai karuvelam’ trees and water hyacinth choking the river’s ecosystem

It’s ironical that Vaigai river with mythological and literary associations is in a pathetic state. Except for fresh water, the riverbed has everything that degrades the environment and the groundwater table.

Wild growth of ‘seemai karuvelam’ trees (Prosopis juliflora) and water hyacinth (aagaya thaamarai) on the river bed in the city limits and outside pose huge threats to the river’s ecosystem. While the ‘seemai karuvelam’ trees guzzle precious groundwater on the already dry riverbed, the water hyacinth vegetation poses a health hazard to residents by being a veritable mosquito breeding ground.

“It’s all because of letting sewage into the Vaigai,” Madurai South MLA R. Annadurai says. Stating that the very presence of water hyacinth was a reflection of pollution of water, he says the Corporation has been letting sewage into the river in 67 places within the city limits. “This act has cascading ill-effects. It leads to growth of hyacinth that in turn breeds mosquitoes that bring diseases,” says the Communist Party of India (Marxist) MLA.

Another party functionary, A. Pitchaimani, says the cadres staged protests in the past, demanding the removal of water hyacinth. They removed the vegetation on two occasions. The Corporation got into the act after the protests, but left it abruptly, he says.

The MLA blames the Corporation, the Public Works Department and the Tamil Nadu Pollution Control Board for the mess.
“The Corporation has not taken any steps to stop pollution of the river. Neither the PWD, the custodian of the river, nor the TNPCB takes steps to prevent it,” he says.

The Corporation had a plan to construct a channel along the banks to collect the sewage and drain it off Sakkimangalam where the Corporation has a sewage treatment plant. “I raised the issue many times with the local body and in the Assembly but to no avail,” he says.

However, a PWD engineer says statuary power on the environmental issue vested with the Corporation and the TNPCB and not with his department. Construction of causeways with pipes to let water instead of vented bridges was the main reason for the growth of water hyacinth, he says. “This plant thrives on stagnant sewage as the pipes laid for Corporation to construct the causeways are above the river bed,” he says.

Mr. Annadurai says, back in 1980, the Corporation had to abandon one of its drinking water headworks, put up in the British period near Arapalayam, owing to pollution of the riverbed. Similar was the case with the Manalur headworks. “This city has not learnt any lessons from the past,” the MLA rues.

Killer hyacinth
S. Rajendran, Coordinator of Rural Biotechnology Unit, Department of Botany in Saraswathi Narayanan College, says water hyacinth came to India as an ornamental plant, but turned out to be a big menace.

“Sewage water is a catalyst for its abundant and quick growth,” Dr. Rajendran says. It can be found in almost all water bodies. The aquatic macrophyte spreads over water, forms a green blanket over it and prevents oxygen from getting dissolved in the water. Usually, oxygen dissolves in water during waves. Lack of dissolved oxygen kills underwater living organisms such as fish and frogs. This leads to stench from the water body,” he says.

Besides, the plants deplete nutrients in the water. The heavy root system in the floating plants speed up the evaporation process and leads to water loss. The quality of water where the plants are found become un-potable.

Stating that seeds from the plant had the power to germinate even after 20 years, he says it will be difficult to completely eradicate it. “An integrated and continuous plan can control its growth,” he says.

A bio-herbicide suggested by Dr. Rajendran for weeding water hyacinth is under consideration by the PWD.

Mr. Annadurai says Chief Minister Jayalalithaa, who had given a new lease of life to farmers of southern districts through victory in the Periyar dam issue, should come forward to save the Vaigai from pollution.

Source
ilikemadurai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2014, 06:56 PM   #12212
madurakarenda
Hyperactive User

Likes (Received): 494

PIL is now in 'sleeping PIlL mode'
madurakarenda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2014, 05:28 AM   #12213
nagrec

Likes (Received): 4

I think PIL will be the solution to stop the ***king tamil directors..infact these directors are from madurai. these selfish people spoiling the growth of madurai..also both DMK and ADMK govt treating the madurai citizens like a Orphans...this step motherly treatment should be stopped..Unfortunately our people has to choose either of these people during the elections..Both politicians and Cinema people use madurai for their development..JJ will have a election meetings in madurai to show the strength of the party then later, she will do all the development work at Srirangam..hereafter JJ should conduct their election meetings at srirangam only...MKA is the another threat to the madurai development..JJ forgot AERO university in madurai..Trichy is already having BHEL,Ordinance factory,IIM,NIT,BIM etc...now srirangam is getting all the govt institutions..what about madurai? we have to kick their asses?

ANANTH, hi2aravind, JAYVIJAY, truthspeker liked this post
nagrec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2014, 06:57 AM   #12214
JAYVIJAY

Irradiation plant in Madurai soon

Quote:
Tamil Nadu Chamber of Commerce and Industry (TNCCI) is planning to establish an irradiation plant in Madurai at a cost of nearly Rs.15 crore.

A project of Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC), the plant is effective in killing germs such as bacteria in agricultural products. If established here, Madurai will become the first place in Tamil Nadu to have the facility.

“Agricultural produce subjected to the irradiation treatment can be exported to any foreign country. It does away with germs such as bacteria and pests,” said N. Jegatheesan, president of TNCCI. Products subjected to irradiation need not obtain plant quarantine certification before being exported, he added.

“Initial discussions are underway with several agencies currently. We are hopeful of establishing the plant in six months,” Mr. Jegatheesan told The Hindu on Monday.

According to S. Rethinavelu, president of Agro Food Chamber of Commerce and Industry here, the treatment will increase the shelf life of perishable products.

“By subjecting jasmine flowers to the irradiation treatment, we can determine the time it blooms. When the flowers are exported by air, the treatment not just helps in retaining the fragrance but also makes them bloom after several hours. The time of ripening in fruits and vegetables can be determined,” he explained.

Besides agricultural produce, garments, medical fabrics and processed food materials can also be subjected to the treatment, Mr. Rethinavelu added.

A senior scientist of BARC’s Technical Coordination Wing J. Daniel Chellappa said that in South India, the facility is only available in Bangalore at present.
Irradiation plant + cargo complex in IXM will boost the business in our region .
Old August 19th, 2014, 07:28 AM   #12215
JAYVIJAY

Alanganallur Town Panchayat bags award

Quote:
Alanganallur Town Panchayat was adjudged the second best town panchayat in the State and the officials from the local body received an award from Chief Minister Jayalalithaa during the 68th Independence Day celebrations at Fort St George.

Alanganallur town panchayat, with a population of 12,331 people, was chosen for this honour from among 529 town panchayats in the State. Town panchayat Chairman V. Geetha and Executive Officer A. Kalaiarasi received a cash award of Rs.5 lakh from the Chief Minister.

The officials from the local body were honoured by Collector L. Subramanian on the Collectorate premises here on Monday.

Ms. Kalaiarasi said a number of parameters had been taken into account by the government with regard to smooth functioning, health and hygiene of the town panchayats.

“We have ensured regular supply of drinking water, effective solid waste management, proper street lights and sanitation facilities for the people and worked to achieve eradication of open defecation. The town panchayat was applauded for implementing preventive measures to eradicate dengue and malaria,” she noted.

The town panchayat had a compost unit and a plastic recycling unit.

“The people have been extremely cooperative in keeping their surroundings clean and segregate bio-degradable and non-bio-degradable wastes from their homes. Vermi-compost is produced in the compost unit,” Ms. Kalaiarasi said.

The plastic recycling unit has also been instrumental in reducing non-biodegradable waste, as for every 10 kilograms of plastic which is recycled, half a kg of plastic powder is produced.

“We plan to save this and use it in the future to lay roads in our villages,” officials from the town panchayat said.
Old August 20th, 2014, 06:49 AM   #12216
ANANTH

Likes (Received): 1072

Lack of facilities keep women away from industrial park

The industrial cluster allocated specially for women nearby Kappalur industrial estate in Madurai district is in a shambles. Basic facilities like road, water and street light are still a distant dream for the women entrepreneurs. Without street lights, the women workers refuse to come to the units as they would have to walk back home in the dark.

The women's industrial park - a first in the state - was inaugurated eight years ago. Around 80 plots were allocated for women of which many are yet to be occupied. Work gets over here by 7pm and street lights and security are indispensable for the women workers.

At least 500 women are employed in the estate. The estate has units making biscuits, rubber and plastic products, PVC pipes and soaps. The entrepreneurs say most units face a labour shortage of 20 per cent. "New workers often don't continue for more than two days. Despite being located near Koothiyarkundu, a residential area, people from the area are afraid of coming here to work. Street lights are the need of the hour," said a woman entrepreneur requesting anonymity.

"We have represented many times with the electricity department but no action has been taken so far to set the problem right. All this is threatening production and affecting our business," said another entrepreneur.

"There has not been any untoward incident in the area so far. However, workers have to be cautious every time they cross the estate until they reach the main road. There are Tasmac shops nearby. Many people get drunk and loiter around," said J Amirtham, an employee from a soap manufacturing unit.

There is little police presence that can be reassuring for women workers. The entrepreneurs say a police post is necessary to make workers feel secure.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/40439238.cms
Old September 6th, 2014, 05:10 AM   #12217
Sankkar

Likes (Received): 152

American College to Get INO Centre Today

MADURAI: The collaborative research lab at the American College, set up as part of the `1,350 crore India-based Neutrino Observatory (INO), would be inaugurated by G Srinivas, joint secretary, University Grants Commission, South Eastern Regional Office, here on Saturday.

With the launch of the facility, the city-based institution will become the only college in the country to be part of the project, touted as the biggest ever research activity undertaken in the country since independence. The rest of the participants are major universities, including the IITs.

The INO aims at studying Neutrinos, which are invisible particles from all parts of the cosmos, to understand the birth, evolution and the future of the universe.

S Stephen Raj Kumar, a faculty in the physics department at the American College and also the head of the lab at the institution, said, “The Board of Nuclear Studies, Department of Atomic Energy, gave approval for the INO lab at the college a few weeks ago. It is a collaborative research lab that will carry out simulation studies for the iron calorimeter (ICAL) of the INO on the college premises.”

M Davamani Christober, principal, American College, said, “This collaborative process is part of an experimental process, through which the institution is entering into the research activities of the INO.”

http://m.newindianexpress.com/tamil-nadu/361475

hi2aravind liked this post
Sankkar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2014, 09:57 AM   #12218
JAYVIJAY

Its good to hear that century old American college is one among others for this biggest research activity ...

Neutrino Observatory Centre inaugurated

Tags
madurai, madurai city, madurai developments