daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old March 30th, 2006, 05:48 PM   #1
El_Greco
Flâneur Extraordinaire

Likes (Received): 1751

East End.London

-
The East End of London was in Victorian England a place outcast from the city both economically and socially.Some nine hundred thousand people lived in this teaming slum. Here the cattle and sheep would be herded through the streets of Whitechapel to the slaughterhouses nearby where they were bludgeoned, bleating with fear and pain.The streets were stained with blood and excrement.Rubbish and liquid sewage gave the area a horrible smell.

-
This street is in the East End. There is no need to say in the East End of what.The East End is a vast city...a shocking place...an evil plexus of slums that hide human creeping things; where filthy men and women live on...gin, where collars and clean shirts are decencies unknown,where every citizen wears a black eye,and none ever combs his hair.
Arthur Morrison,Tales of Mean Streets.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

2.The Ten Bells Pub.
-
On the corner of Commercial Street and Fournier Street in Spitalfields stands perhaps the most famous pub in Ripper history. The Ten Bells Pub has been standing since at least 1752 (Begg, Fido & Skinner, 1996). The pub has undergone one name change. From 1976 to 1988, it was known as "The Jack the Ripper". Since 1988 it was given its original name of "The Ten Bells".
Although the exterior of the building has been rebuilt (Begg et al, 1996), the interior remains much the same as it did since the days of Jack the Ripper. As you enter the Ten Bells, you are indeed stepping back in time to the days of the Autumn of Terror. The back wall of the pub has a beautiful tile picture "Spitalfields in the Olden Time". This must be seen in person to really appreciate.
On the wall opposite the bar is a giant sign listing the victims of Jack the Ripper. Although it is generally accepted by most ripperologists that Jack the Ripper murdered only 5 victims, the large sign shows six, with Martha Tabram being named first. This was based on the theory that the murders were based on black magic. Five mutilated victims were needed for the black magic theory to work. Elizabeth Stride was not mutilated. Her throat was cut. The theorist therefore, had to go back in time to find another victim that was mutilated in order for the theory to work. Since Martha Tabram (aka Turner) was stabbed 39 times, he counted this murder as a mutilation. Thus Martha Tabram now becomes the first victim on the giant Jack the Ripper board at the Ten Bells. The remainder of the wall displays interesting newspaper clippings about Jack the Ripper as well as possible suspects and theories.

3.Commercial Street.

-

http://www.casebook.org/victorian_london/sitepics.html
http://www.casebook.org/victorian_london/jpphotos.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Sponsored Links

Old March 30th, 2006, 06:39 PM   #2
JDRS
Against ID Cards

Likes (Received): 1

Great pics, one question: are those pylons coming down for the Olympics?
JDRS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2006, 06:44 PM   #3
El_Greco
Flâneur Extraordinaire

Hmm I really dont know mate
Old March 30th, 2006, 07:06 PM   #4
Manuel

Likes (Received): 15

Superb pics!
Manuel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2006, 07:15 PM   #5
Peyre
Waiting for 122

Likes (Received): 0

Stunning pics

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/ldntower/
Peyre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2006, 08:07 PM   #6
Medo

Likes (Received): 345

Why is there a thread exactly like this in the Scandinavian and Baltic forums?

great pics btw
Medo está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2006, 08:08 PM   #7
El_Greco
Flâneur Extraordinaire

^ Because I love to spam
Old March 30th, 2006, 08:09 PM   #8
Medo

Likes (Received): 345

LOL, fair enough
Medo está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2006, 10:16 PM   #9
Madman
London 2012

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRS
Great pics, one question: are those pylons coming down for the Olympics?
Yep. I read somewhere that they have already signed the contracts and commenced the tunnelling that will replace the pylons.
Madman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2006, 10:22 PM   #10
Madman
London 2012

Likes (Received): 7

Here we go...

Major contract awarded for Olympic park

The first major contract towards the creation of the Olympic Park has been granted.

The £200 million project will see the powerlines which currently overshadow the Olympic Park area placed in tunnels underground.

J Murphy and Sons will deliver the first crucial step in creating the Olympic Park, freeing up 50 hectares of land for development.

London 2012 Chairman Sebastian Coe welcomed the progress: "Securing planning permission for the major developments within the new Olympic Park area during the bidding process was essential to enable work to start as soon as possible.

"The appointment of this tender within the first few weeks of winning the bid reinforces our resolve to move ahead with the project quickly. The undergrounding of pylons is an important part of the preparatory work for the Olympic Park."

J Murphy & Sons Limited has been commissioned by the London Development Agency (LDA) to construct twelve kilometres of tunnel to replace the overhead power lines.

The two tunnels will be 20 metres underground, one 2.5m and the other 4m in diameter.

The larger 4m tunnel is on the same scale as a London tube tunnel and will have its own monorail running down the centre for inspection and servicing.

Olympic Minister Tessa Jowell said: "Once again, within fifty days of London winning in Singapore, there is more proof that all those responsible for delivering the world's greatest event are doing just that - delivering.

"The London Olympic Bill is going through Parliament, the first lottery tickets to fund the Games have been sold and we have earmarked fresh money to develop the stars of the future.

"And now these announcements signal that the work is underway on the Olympic Park and the infrastructure improvements which are vital to a successful Games in seven years time."

Also today the Mayor of London Ken Livingstone has announced a statutory direction to the LDA and Transport to London to allow both to begin crucial work on preparations for the Games prior to the establishment of the Olympic Delivery Authority next year.

24 August 2005
Madman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2006, 12:31 AM   #11
Kashmiri84
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

Some people dislike the East End of London, however I find them to be quite interesting and sometimes even trendy! Thats not to say that I would like to live there....
Kashmiri84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2006, 11:37 AM   #12
Cabman
Do A Little Dance

The pylons in the picture are outside excel. I would imagine that they will remain. As I understand it the contract is for the Olympic park itself and not for existing facilities.

Btw love the pics El Greco
Old April 10th, 2006, 11:45 AM   #13
Isaac Newell

These Pylons are on Manor Road looking North from Canning town toward Stratford. You can even see the mighty Northern Outfall Sewer in that pic.
Isaac Newell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2006, 11:53 AM   #14
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 1553

The pylons from Hackney to West Ham are coming down, 52 in total.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2006, 12:56 PM   #15
Blindfold
I said love, I said pet

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Newell

Stratford. You can even see the mighty Northern Outfall Sewer in that pic.
Where? I don't see it.
Old April 10th, 2006, 01:20 PM   #16
Isaac Newell

just over the word outfall, that grass banking.
Isaac Newell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2006, 08:09 PM   #17
Tuomas

Likes (Received): 0

Thanks for the photos. I think all of them are great, of course but the last one is amazing.
Tuomas no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: