daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Skyscrapers & local issues > Projects, Construction, Skyscrapers & Statistics > Western Australia

Old November 11th, 2008, 09:56 AM   #1
Scraperfan
Single, looking to mingle

Likes (Received): 341

#EP | Approved and UC | Symphony City Stage 2 & 3 [117m, 70m | Mixed & Resi]

Address: 187 Adelaide Tce, EAST PERTH
Developers: Finbar/Ventrade Australia Pty Ltd

* Concept design only.

http://www.finbar.com.au/Investor_Re...10-11-08-0.pdf

Finally we come to a very exciting new opportunity for the company.
In September we announced a joint venture which will see us partner with the land
owner of the former home of the Australian Broadcasting Corporation. Everyone in this
room from Perth will be familiar with the 1.28 hectare site which is located opposite
Langley Park with the large satellite dish out the front. It has a 75 metre frontage to both
Terrace Road and Adelaide Terrace. If you look at this photograph you can see it is
nestled between the Westralian, Reflections, and Fairlanes projects.
It is a large site, in a premium location, and is one that provides us with several options
in respect of development proposals. The redevelopment would likely consist of [Slide
71] a residential tower on the Terrace Road frontage that will take up roughly 60% of the
site and designed to take advantage of the fantastic views available from this location,
and a mixed use development to be integrated into the buildings that have heritage
significance on the Adelaide Terrace frontage.
To fully utilise the potential of the site we must seek a minor town planning scheme
amendment and a favorable development approval. This process can take over 12
months to achieve.
As mentioned, this is a joint venture development opportunity for the company. The
basic terms of the joint venture are the land owner purchased the land for $37.58 million.
Finbar will commit $17.5 million in working capital to be injected as and when the first
costs are incurred for the design and development of the building. The balance of funds
required to complete the development will come from a stand alone construction facility
as is the case with all of our projects.
It is a significant project, one which has bolstered our project pipeline for five to six
years, and one with a JV structure that allows the company to leverage heavily off our
development expertise.
Finbar will share equally in any joint venture profit and stand to make management fees
for the project.
In spite of the economic climate we believe the acquisition and JV of this site at this time
to be good timing due to the limited competition during the acquisition process. There
will be no debt on the property during this initial development process so our JV partners
and Finbar can choose the most appropriate time to bring the product to the market
without outside pressures.

http://www.finbar.com.au/Investor_Re...0-11-08-01.pdf

from what i can read of it, looks like:

21 floor mixed us tower to the north
34 floor resi to the south/centre.
4 floor buildings fronting terrace road.

Margaret River Accommodation

Perth City Car Hire

WA Holiday Guide

Last edited by alvse; April 24th, 2009 at 08:09 AM.
Scraperfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 11th, 2008, 10:00 AM   #2
Perth4life

Likes (Received): 5

wow this site has been doing nothing for so so long

nice work.
Perth4life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2008, 10:12 AM   #3
acc521
Do you expect me to talk?

Likes (Received): 399

Wtf is with all the little buildings. I want a monolith on such a huge site dammit!
acc521 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2008, 10:24 AM   #4
chrisaus

Likes (Received): 4

thats fairly decent for east perth
chrisaus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2008, 11:18 AM   #5
NailZ

Likes (Received): 37

Interesting floor plate for the first floor... all curvey. Could bode well for a unique exterior design instead of the usual white box.

Whos the developer of the ABC site again?
NailZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2008, 11:24 AM   #6
Direwolf

Likes (Received): 0

This is a finbar concept, does anyone know if they have actually bought it?
I wasn't sure it had sold. What is the heritage building? I thought it was all crap built in the 50's with even worse 60's and 70's additions that is one of the reasons ABC moved, plus the site is huge and prime real estate.
Direwolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2008, 12:52 PM   #7
Scraperfan

yes finbar have officially bought the site.

Perth City Car Hire

WA Holiday Guide
Old November 11th, 2008, 01:41 PM   #8
Australiasia
www.urantia.org/

Likes (Received): 7

WA Business News

Finbar signs JV for former ABC site

15-September-08

South Perth-based property developer Finbar Group Ltd has signed a joint venture agreement with the subsidiary of a Singapore-based company to redevelop the former ABC studios site on Adelaide Terrace.

Under the deal, Ventrade Australia Pty Ltd will buy the 1.3 hectare site from the ABC for $37.6 million, while Finbar will act as developer and contribute one half of the land value (about $19 million) as working capital.

The companies will receive an equal share of development profit, with the project's value expected to be more than $450 million at completion.
Australiasia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2008, 01:55 PM   #9
Johnvb

Likes (Received): 30

I think its an ok mix of uses for the site, would have liked to see something around the 40 level range but 34 is very nice. Hope there will be some interaction with terrace road.
Old November 11th, 2008, 02:08 PM   #10
Auxodium
55.53% of WA is backwards

Likes (Received): 4

i agree... this is a rather large site and to plonk a 20 level building would be a joke... if they did it would have tracts of lawn and a real suburban feel to it...

this needs to be an (here we go again!) iconic structure in east perth...
Auxodium no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2008, 03:57 PM   #11
Dilaz89

Likes (Received): 874

I dont see any indication of 34 lv sf.

Finbar have 750 apartments uc or planned in the city of perth. This could take that number to over 1000.
Dilaz89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 02:02 AM   #12
Scraperfan

im quite sure the apartment type E says 34x, i have a hgher res version on my pc, its a bit blurred in the image above.

Perth City Car Hire

WA Holiday Guide
Old November 12th, 2008, 02:03 AM   #13
Ipggi
Here

Likes (Received): 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Direwolf View Post
This is a finbar concept, does anyone know if they have actually bought it?
I wasn't sure it had sold. What is the heritage building? I thought it was all crap built in the 50's with even worse 60's and 70's additions that is one of the reasons ABC moved, plus the site is huge and prime real estate.
Heritage is not just granted to pre-war architecture.

the place was the first complete broadcasting complex built for the Australian Broadcasting Commission, and was the first time in Australia that studios for radio and television broadcasting and recording, and sound recording, were developed on one site at the same time;

the place exhibits the simplicity of line and form typical of the Post-War International style, demonstrating the modernist ideals in architecture at the time of its construction, and is a good and highly intact example of the style in Western Australia;

the Basil Kirke Studio is the largest sound studio of its type and acoustic quality in Western Australia, and it exhibits the modernist principles of the time of its construction in the honest and unmasked use of materials, and simplicity of presentation, in features such as the brick patterning and timber panelling;

the place is associated with renown Western Australian artist Robert Juniper, who was commissioned by the Australian Broadcasting Commission to create the broadcasting-themed mural at the entrance, the first such commission by the Australian Broadcasting Commission; the Robert Juniper mural is a rare remaining example of a commissioned piece of post-World War II public art retained in situ;
Ipggi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 02:37 AM   #14
dallastexjr
WHY NOT? Project

Likes (Received): 221

Someone could talk up just about any building with the right combination of words. Ultimately I think it's a pretty dull piece of architecture. There are way better examples of that style of architecture in suburbia.

I wonder if they're keeping the building to save the Juniper mural.
Old November 12th, 2008, 07:24 AM   #15
gotime

Likes (Received): 9

the basil kirke studio is an amazing example of modernist architecture... i'd be upset if the building was lost... but i will admit the building doesn't look like much from the front.
gotime no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 07:30 AM   #16
acc521
Do you expect me to talk?

Likes (Received): 399

FYI from the Interim entry onto the register of heritage places

STATEMENT OF SIGNIFICANCE
ABC Sound Broadcasting and Television Studios, Perth, a complex of broadcasting and recording studios and associated administration facilities, primarily in the Post-War International style, has cultural heritage significance for the following reasons:

the place was the first complete broadcasting complex built for the Australian Broadcasting Commission, and was the first time in Australia
that studios for radio and television broadcasting and recording, and sound recording, were developed on one site at the same time;
the place exhibits the simplicity of line and form typical of the Post-War International style, demonstrating the modernist ideals in architecture at the time of its construction, and is a good and highly intact example of the style in Western Australia;

the Basil Kirke Studio is the largest sound studio of its type and acoustic quality in Western Australia, and it exhibits the modernist principles of the time of its construction in the honest and unmasked use of materials, and
simplicity of presentation, in features such as the brick patterning and timber panelling;

the place is associated with renown Western Australian artist Robert Juniper, who was commissioned by the Australian Broadcasting Commission to create the broadcasting-themed mural at the entrance, the first such commission by the Australian Broadcasting Commission;

the Robert Juniper mural is a rare remaining example of a commissioned piece of post-World War II public art retained in situ;

the place is associated with Hungarian-born sculptor, Andor Maszaros;

the place is associated with the West Australian Symphony Orchestra (WASO) which used the Basil Kirke Studio for rehearsals, recordings, broadcasts and concerts until it was relocated to the Perth Concert Hall,
and continued to use ABC Sound Broadcasting and Television Studios Perth for administration purposes until 2004;

the place is associated with several West Australian broadcasting identities. In particular it is associated with Basil Kirke, who was manager of the Australian Broadcasting Commission in Western Australia from 1932-36 and 1952-1958, and who was instrumental in the establishment of ABC Sound Broadcasting and Television Studios, Perth; and,

the place is the public face of the Australian Broadcasting Commission in Western Australia from its construction in 1960 until it was superseded by a new facility in 2005. It was constructed at the same time the medium of television came to Western Australia, ushering in the beginning of a new era of communication, and rendering previous facilities used by the ABC obsolete.
acc521 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 10:27 AM   #17
Direwolf

Okay I understand that there may be a significant heritage building in there unfortunately I have not been inside my judgement has been on what can be seen from Terrace rd and Adelaide tce which are ugly cobbled together buildings.

From what I can see above the heritage section is mostly behind the street frontage on the eastern side of the site. I will have to have a look down the lane. If finbar can integrate such a building could be a good asset.

btw I don't think 50's and 60's buildings aren't worth heritage listing but many post war building were built on the cheap and are poorly constructed or of little merit. Some are even deceptive in that they have facades of earlier styles but little else.
Direwolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 12:44 PM   #18
Laing

I think its appropriate that part of the ABC studios is preserved. Evaluating heritage simply in terms of the value or otherwise of architecture is too narrow. The studios were a key part of cultural life in Western Australia over the past half century and if the Basil Kirke studios can be retained for the use of WASO it will be a definite ongoing benefit to the inner city.
Laing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 12:47 PM   #19
jackso

Likes (Received): 1016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Direwolf View Post
btw I don't think 50's and 60's buildings aren't worth heritage listing but many post war building were built on the cheap and are poorly constructed or of little merit. Some are even deceptive in that they have facades of earlier styles but little else.
I think thats the mentality that was far to prevalent in the 60's, 70's and into the 80's. Im not all that familiar with the actual building, and it may not be worth keeping, but to say that buildings constructed in the 1950's and 1960's arent worth keeping is a little rich.
jackso está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 03:36 AM   #20
hack404

Likes (Received): 385

You never know, we might end up listing buildings like the Medina on Barrack St in the future....