SkyscraperCity Forum banner

The Incredible Neighbourhoods of Hamilton

256K views 874 replies 77 participants last post by  flar 
#1 · (Edited)
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

One of the most interesting cities in Canada from an urban perspective, Hamilton is filled with distinctive neighbourhoods. I've photographed many of them over the past couple years and I've decided to share them in this thread. I'll post one tour now, and if there are enough replies to get to the next page of the thread I'll post another one, and another one, and so on (I can't just post like 200 pics on one page or it would be impossible to look at!).

So check back often. If you like urban neighbourhoods, streetcar suburbs, Victorian rows, working class vernacular, mansions, shopping districts and a wide variety of residential architecture you won't be disappointed
:)

See less See more
#860 · (Edited)
Hamilton has its ups, but it has its downs as well. The city is very run down, a lot of dilapidated, and abandoned buildings. The first time i visited the city, i can honestly say that i did not like it. In recent years, i have toured the city a lot more, and i have come to realize that there are a few hidden gems in this old rusty town.

BTW, very interesting photos.

#862 ·
I just ploughed through this entire thread (leaving my sleep for it and all), and I'm having an overdose. Just to tell how addictive it is.
Often, photos came back (sometimes even on the same page), but they were beautiful, so I didn't mind.
One thing, though, what do you mean with streetcar suburb?

#864 ·
I can't believe I never responded in this thread, but I FINALLY found the GOOD neighborhoods of Hamilton, and that will show those ignorant people who think Hamilton is a "total dump".

Durand and Westdale are absolutely incredible. Durand has to have one of the highest collection of Victorian homes in all of Canada!

#866 ·
These are stuning pictures of some grand old ladies. I am moving to Hamilton from Alberta and hope to live in something similar but less expensive. Wish me luck. I am vey curious how the northend is changing. It is known to be very rough there. Does anyone know what the up and coming areas of Hamilton are?

#869 · (Edited)
My wife and I are looking for a place in Hamilton. We want to get out of the Oakville Ontario 'burbs and back to the inner city. I stumbled upon this site and this thread, and am completely gobsmacked! I got 25 pages in and skipped ahead to see if it was still alive. Great to see that 4 years in, there is activity.

Flar, you have celebrated the architecture of Hamilton like no other. The time and energy you have devoted is amazing. Hamiltonians who care about their city should be doing cartwheels over this thread. It's dazzling.

Please publish a book.

I went to your site and saw a lovely image of my home town, Saint John N.B.

#871 ·
My wife and I are looking for a place in Hamilton. We want to get out of the Oakville Ontario 'burbs and back to the inner city. I stumbled upon this site and this thread, and am completely gobsmacked! I got 25 pages in and skipped ahead to see if it was still alive. Great to see that 4 years in, there is activity.

Flar, you have celebrated the architecture of Hamilton like no other. The time and energy you have devoted is amazing. Hamiltonians who care about their city should be doing cartwheels over this thread. It's dazzling.

Please publish a book.

I went to your site and saw a lovely image of my home town, Saint John N.B.
I am from Oakville as well and moved downtown Hamilton about 4 years ago. It is so refreshing to see such renewal and to be around dramatic growth. Not to knock Oakville, but it seems to sit dormant in comparison. Much more real-world here and filled with character. Enjoy it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.