daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States Urban Issues > Midwest and Plains

Midwest and Plains » Development News | Includes all plains states, MN, WI, IL, IN, OH, MO

Closed Thread

Old January 20th, 2006, 06:45 PM   #1
Fiddlerontheruf
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

I'm really starting to hate the coasts: Is that bad?

I don't want to seem like a "stereotypical" midwesterner (in eyes of a coaster), but I am beginning to hate the coasts, especially the west.

The more I visit, observe and dissect the culture of the coasts the more I am beginning to hate them. Coasters, for the most part, are shallow, superficial and annoying people who take themselves WAY too seriously. The popped-collar, plastic-surgery-having, agressive, irritating people on the west and east coasts is really starting to piss me off. Gone are the days when "coastal elitism" meant Ivy-league grads enaging in some discourse or intelligent conversation that middle America couldn't relate to. Now, that has been replaced with an entire different persona. A very materialistic and disturbing persona. I have to stop typing, now, because I have run out of ways to express myself.

Somebody prove me wrong.
Fiddlerontheruf no está en línea  

Sponsored Links

Old January 20th, 2006, 06:47 PM   #2
Steely Dan
facist lord of the cosmos

Likes (Received): 72

don't worry.

be happy.

life is WAY too fucking short to concern yourself with such insignificant nonsense. just sit back, relax, take a deep breath, and repeat to yourself "at the end of the day, who really fucking cares?"
Old January 20th, 2006, 06:53 PM   #3
Fiddlerontheruf
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan
don't worry.

be happy.

life is WAY too fucking short to concern yourself with such insignificant nonsense. just sit back, relax, take a deep breath, and repeat to yourself "at the end of the day, who really fucking cares?"

true dat, steely, The only saving grace that prevents from really flippin shit at coastal elitsts is my great, awesome midwestern friends and family.

awwwwww.
Old January 20th, 2006, 07:12 PM   #4
milwaukeeunseen
Look closer...

There plenty of materialistic douchebags in the Midwest. There are also plenty of friendly people on the coasts.
Old January 20th, 2006, 07:33 PM   #5
Badgers77
Hi

Likes (Received): 2

I LOVE the East Coast, especially Boston. I live in the midwest, but I want to move to Boston (or around Boston) within a couple years of graduating college. The West Coast isn't that great though.
Badgers77 no está en línea  
Old January 20th, 2006, 07:37 PM   #6
The anti-cheesehead

I like both coasts, but if I have to generalize, I'd say the east coast has the highest concentration of assholes in the country.
Old January 20th, 2006, 07:44 PM   #7
Badgers77
Hi

Boston seems to be a very nice to me. The people are arrogant and condescending, but not in an intentional or mean way. The accents are pretty annoying though.
Badgers77 no está en línea  
Old January 20th, 2006, 07:51 PM   #8
rgolch

Fiddlerontheruf: Yes, it's bad that you say your starting to hate the coasts.

You shouldn't generalize coastal people, just as you would not want to be generalized as a bumblefuck midwesterner. Let it go. All people are individuals.
rgolch no está en línea  
Old January 20th, 2006, 07:53 PM   #9
Expat

Likes (Received): 1

The Midwestern people I know are basically versions of the East Coast people I know. Not much different. The people in the Central West End of St. Louis remind me of the people in Northwest DC. And the people in Clayton, MO remind me of the people in Bethesda, MD. The people in Ladue, MO remind me of the people living in Potomac, MD. The people living in Soulard/St. Louis remind me of the people living in Baltimore's Federal Hill. I could go on. So I don't agree with the original post.
Expat no está en línea  
Old January 20th, 2006, 09:22 PM   #10
historybuffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expat
The Midwestern people I know are basically versions of the East Coast people I know. Not much different. The people in the Central West End of St. Louis remind me of the people in Northwest DC. And the people in Clayton, MO remind me of the people in Bethesda, MD. The people in Ladue, MO remind me of the people living in Potomac, MD. The people living in Soulard/St. Louis remind me of the people living in Baltimore's Federal Hill. I could go on. So I don't agree with the original post.
Soulard seem a little like Georgetown too. Yeah there are bastards everywhere, I am a bastard. Just somellocales have a better reputation of being bastards than most. I visited Boston last year expecting, to be rudely treated, or just being confronted by some arrogant bastard but everyone there was nice. NYC was surprising too, but I was not familiar with the concept that you can't get change for a parking meter from a corner market unless you buy something. The pleasantness was just a big relief, because I had gone to Pittsburgh the year before and everyone was absolute nasty except for the cab drivers, and boat tour guide. And Pittsburgh is no where near a coast.
historybuffer no está en línea  
Old January 20th, 2006, 09:24 PM   #11
historybuffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expat
Soulard seem a little like Georgetown too. Yeah there are bastards everywhere, I am a bastard. Just some locales have a better reputation of having bastards than most. I visited Boston last year expecting, to be rudely treated, or just being confronted by some arrogant bastard but everyone there was nice. NYC was surprising too, but I was not familiar with the concept that you can't get change for a parking meter from a corner market unless you buy something. The pleasantness was just a big relief, because I had gone to Pittsburgh the year before and everyone was an absolute nasty bastard except for the cab drivers, and boat tour guide. And Pittsburgh is no where near a coast. Chicago catches most out of town tourists off guard because they don't expect to be treated friendly by everyone, that's the only thing Midwestern about Chicago.
historybuffer no está en línea  
Old January 20th, 2006, 09:28 PM   #12
BrewCrew
Wannabe Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukeeunseen
There plenty of materialistic douchebags in the Midwest. There are also plenty of friendly people on the coasts.
i agree.. i don't see why it really matters anyways... who cares? there are plenty of very friendly people everywhere and there are plenty of assholes everywhere... i don't like these sort of generalizations... while it's true that people are different in different parts of the country, it's not to that much of an extent where you can say everyone on the west coast is superficial and everyone on the east coast is an asshole... that's simply not true (although it may be true that the highest concentration of superficial people is on the west coast and the highest concentration of assholes is on the east coast)
BrewCrew no está en línea  
Old January 20th, 2006, 10:37 PM   #13
*Sweetkisses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlerontheruf
I don't want to seem like a "stereotypical" midwesterner (in eyes of a coaster), but I am beginning to hate the coasts, especially the west.

The more I visit, observe and dissect the culture of the coasts the more I am beginning to hate them. Coasters, for the most part, are shallow, superficial and annoying people who take themselves WAY too seriously. The popped-collar, plastic-surgery-having, agressive, irritating people on the west and east coasts is really starting to piss me off. Gone are the days when "coastal elitism" meant Ivy-league grads enaging in some discourse or intelligent conversation that middle America couldn't relate to. Now, that has been replaced with an entire different persona. A very materialistic and disturbing persona. I have to stop typing, now, because I have run out of ways to express myself.

Somebody prove me wrong.
Riiight.. paint millions of people with the same brush
*Sweetkisses* no está en línea  
Old January 20th, 2006, 11:12 PM   #14
style515
BANNED

I'd rather be hated than have no one know I exist.

Go figure.
style515 no está en línea  
Old January 20th, 2006, 11:24 PM   #15
D-res
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukeeunseen
There plenty of materialistic douchebags in the Midwest.

*raises hand*

although i'm fully aware that what you own ends up owning you
D-res no está en línea  
Old January 21st, 2006, 12:33 AM   #16
Jules

Likes (Received): 4

I love the East Coast. Two of my favorite cities in the world are there.
Jules no está en línea  
Old January 21st, 2006, 02:49 AM   #17
citygeek

Fiddler, your profile indicates that you're a college freshman. Can I assume you went to a coast with high hopes (escape this backward Midwestern existence and consort with cultured types) only to be sorely disillusioned and reconnect with your roots? I come from a Midwestern college town, where many bright people with the means (scholarship or parental $) to go coastal, do so. But let's not dismiss half of America on the basis of our experiences with pompous college assholes. Age 18-22, people are like that, desperate for attention and approval. Youth is basically a continual identity crisis, am I right? (SSC oldsters confirm or deny?) If I'd gone to Northwestern or UChicago, I'd probably be saying, "I knew I should have left Illinois. It's mostly assholes here, just like in high school!" I haven't been back east since college, but I'd like to think it would be different if I avoid the Ivy League/Seven Sisters/NYU types.
citygeek no está en línea  
Old January 21st, 2006, 03:08 AM   #18
Jeff_in_Dayton

My experience with West Coast people, since I lived there for a bit, is that they where quite freindly, and a lot of theme where from Iowa. lol...

Seriously, living in NorCal, the Midwest seemed "far away and long ago"...people dont look down on it, they dont even think about east of the Sierras that much (maye Reno or Salt Lake is as far east as their horizons go).
Old January 21st, 2006, 03:17 AM   #19
Fiddlerontheruf
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by citygeek
Fiddler, your profile indicates that you're a college freshman. Can I assume you went to a coast with high hopes (escape this backward Midwestern existence and consort with cultured types) only to be sorely disillusioned and reconnect with your roots? I come from a Midwestern college town, where many bright people with the means (scholarship or parental $) to go coastal, do so. But let's not dismiss half of America on the basis of our experiences with pompous college assholes. Age 18-22, people are like that, desperate for attention and approval. Youth is basically a continual identity crisis, am I right? (SSC oldsters confirm or deny?) If I'd gone to Northwestern or UChicago, I'd probably be saying, "I knew I should have left Illinois. It's mostly assholes here, just like in high school!" I haven't been back east since college, but I'd like to think it would be different if I avoid the Ivy League/Seven Sisters/NYU types.
Actually, I am a senior in high school but that profile is from a few years ago...so.

I do not base what I'm saying on bitterness, nor do I believe that all people on the coasts fit that description. I've traveled all over the world, but I guess I just prefer the values and the people in the midwest. The upper-midwest that is. I guess I'm an elitist.

ps: Yeah, I'm going through an identity crisis right now, I so hope that helps you understand where all of this animosity/questioning is coming from.
Old January 21st, 2006, 04:05 AM   #20
Jules

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_Dayton
My experience with West Coast people, since I lived there for a bit, is that they where quite freindly, and a lot of theme where from Iowa. lol...

Seriously, living in NorCal, the Midwest seemed "far away and long ago"...people dont look down on it, they dont even think about east of the Sierras that much (maye Reno or Salt Lake is as far east as their horizons go).
lol I got a cousin in Seattle from Iowa...good observation.
Jules no está en línea  

Closed Thread