daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > South Asia > Mehfil Pakistan > Transportation and Infrastructure

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Old February 17th, 2005, 04:20 AM   #1
HasanB

Likes (Received): 47

PAKISTAN | Pakistan International Airlines (PIA)

A couple of very interesting flight reviews by a traveller who flew PIAs new 777 service from Chicago - Karachi and the return leg in January of this year. It makes for good reading !!

Business Class : Chicago O'Hare - Karachi

21 January 2005 - submitted by Jamaal Hussain

On January 5th, I had the opportunity to travel from Chicago to Karachi on Pakistan International Airlines. The 6:15 p.m. PIA flight seemed destined for cancellation, given that American and United had cancelled some 150 flights due to a mid-west snow storm that day. Even more ominous were TV news clips showing O’Hare ground staff already preparing the infamous cots and amenity kits for those that would be stranded at the airport overnight.

PIA’s check-in desk is located between Alitalia and Air Jamaica on the left hand side of Terminal 5. Check-in was orderly and well managed by PIA’s ground staff. The agent’s were courteous and friendly. The TSA had set up a post-check in baggage screening site adjacent to the check-in area. As bags were checked-in and tagged, TSA officers would take the bags and screen them prior to loading onto the airport conveyor belts. Security at Terminal 5 is always a chore to navigate on any afternoon, with the infamous merging of queues, TSA staff barking orders at passengers and the crush of Europe bound travelers unfamiliar with TSA procedures slowing down processing time. Today was no exception. After passing through security, I walked into PIA’s associate premium class lounge at O’Hare - the Swiss International lounge. The lounge was small but clean and reasonably well appointed. However, it was no model of Swiss efficiency with long waits between freshly made eats. As flight time approached, I made my way to Gate M12, not far from the Swiss International lounge. Passengers were invited to board by row number, with rows 1 to 5 (Business Plus) called to board first. PIA’s gate agents were efficient and cheerful, paying special attention to travelers with special needs. They made several announcements asking passengers with strollers to come to the podium and obtain gate-check tags. I was the first passenger to board and was welcomed at the aircraft door with a warm handshake and the tradition Muslim greeting of Asalaam-Alaikum by the Senior Purser. As I found my seat a flight attendant offered to take my coat(s). Mixed nuts (not warmed) and soft drinks were offered. It is important to note that PIA does not serve alcoholic beverages aboard its flights but has a better than average selection of soft drinks and juices which include multiple diet beverages. Pakistani sitar music playing softly overhead and flight attendants welcoming passengers at their seats, offering Pakistani newspapers, magazines and making small talk. Boarding was complete within an hour and if it was not for snow related delays (de-icing, etc), we would have been off the ground on time. However, due to the delay, the crew turned on the empower power ports and the AVOD in-flight entertainment system. We eventually left the gate at 9:20 p.m. and were in the air at 9:32 p.m.

At about 10:00 p.m., the crew began the dinner service. Poor quality eating utensils (a la cheap Chinese take out) were wrapped in a very nice cloth napkin. An equally nice table cloth was placed on each passenger’s seat table. The tableware was tastefully designed fine china. A dinner salad accompanied by a choice of bread rolls was offered initially. The salad was nothing special but was fresh and the rolls were hot. A cream of mushroom soup with a real stainless steel soup spoon followed. The soup was hot but lacked flavor. Next, a buffet trolley with a selection of hot Pakistani and continental entrees was brought around. I opted for the Pakistani food and the flight attendant offered to prepare a plate comprising a little bit of everything. The food was well seasoned, a little oily and very tasty. Finally, a choice of cheese cake or Pakistani pudding (Firni) laced with pistachios was provided. I opted for the Firni and found it to be well prepared. A selection of fresh fruit, cheese, crackers and chocolate followed. A choice of green tea, tea or coffee followed at which time crew members asked passengers individually if they would like to be awoken for the pre-arrival snack, planned for two hours down the road. They also asked passengers to close their window blinds in anticipation of the early sunrise. At midnight, Chicago time, the crew turned off the cabin lights. At this point, I noticed that for all its advanced features, the 777 did not have any adjustable overhead vents. A word about the Business+ seats on PIA’s 777’s. They are sumptuous and can recline into an angled lie-flat position.

The cabin lights came back on at 2:25 a.m., Chicago time (8:25 a.m., Manchester time) but were then turned off five minutes later. About an hour later, a selection of pre-arrival sandwiches and hot beverages were offered. The cheap plastic cutlery made a repeat appearance at this point. Arrival at Manchester called for a 2 hour layover but in the event this was closer to a 70 minute stop, probably to make up time from the three hour delay in Chicago. All passengers were asked to deplane with their luggage so that the aircraft could be cleaned. Those that wished to remain on board were allowed to do so. Given that deplaning at Manchester involves a lot of going up and down stairs and a security check (though less onerous and more civilized than that in the USA), I would opt to remain on board the aircraft next time. Business Plus passengers can use the Escape lounge at Manchester. There are no arrival suites or showers at any of the lounges in the terminal used by PIA at Manchester. Re-boarding at Manchester was a quick but somewhat spirited affair. Passengers were not invited to board by row number or class of service. However, a warm welcome awaited passengers as they boarded, courtesy of the senior purser and his right hand man. I made my way to my seat and a flight attendant offered to hang my coat up and asked if I would like something to drink.

Within 15 minutes of takeoff, menus were given to the passengers. The Chicago crew must have omitted to provide these on the earlier sector of the flight because they listed meals served on that portion of the flight. Hot towels were passed out. Then breakfast was served efficiently and cheerfully – my flight attendant insisting that I try the Manchester prepared omelet, which apparently was her favorite dish. Fine china together with high tensile, good quality plastic cutlery were appropriate for the premium cabin. The fruit plate was fresh, muffins, croissants and rolls oven fresh and the tea hot and flavorful. A buffet cart of scrambled eggs, omelets, mushrooms, fried tomatoes, vegetable cutlets and chicken cutlets came next. All very tasty and hot. Clean up was quick and efficient. After an obligatory showing of the Duty Free cart, the cabin crew turned off the lights and requested that all passengers close their blinds.

A quick word about the in-flight entertainment system. The product in Business+ is superior to that in the Economy cabin. The economy cabin’s entertainment system, while offering the same channels as the premium cabin, does not have Audio and Video on demand (AVOD). The IFE choices are above average and include a selection of international and Pakistani sitcoms, documentaries, music videos and movies on the video front. The audio channels also offer a good selection of international and Pakistani programming while the games channels are fairly good too. The i-trax flight tracking system is excellent with satellite imaging woven into the flight planning page. The only thing missing from the information panel is a compass indicating the direction of Mecca relative to the aircraft, a feature found on Middle Eastern and some South-East Asian airlines.

Dinner was served as the aircraft entered Pakistani airspace at the international tri border point where Iran, Afghanistan and Pakistan meet. The dinner service was rushed but the quality of the food was excellent. The whole meal which included salad, hot bread, soup, entrée, desert, cheese/fruit and Tea or Coffee was over with in about 40 minutes. The crew then brought around comment cards. Landing cards were not offered. However, upon asking I was provided with one, which I need as I hold a British passport with a Pakistani visa stamped therein. No pre-landing announcement was made and the plane touched down in Karachi approximately seven hours after leaving Manchester. Passport control was quick and efficient. The sequence of baggage delivery was poor with high priority bags arriving at the conveyor throughout the delivery process. I should point out that if one does not have any Pakistani currency, a booth to the left of the porter checkout counter changes money at attractive rates. Be sure to ask for some smaller notes too, so that you can tip the porter Rs.50-100 per bag when you reach your car or shuttle. The porters not only assisted with baggage reclaim but also navigated passengers through customs and X-ray screening of all luggage. Customs was a breeze and and then it was out the door to a crowd waiting for relatives and friends to emerge from the arrivals hall.

HasanB no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 17th, 2005, 04:22 AM   #2
HasanB

This is the return leg of his journey

Economy Plus Class : Karachi - Chicago O'Hare

Despite the multiple security checks and inane questions from multiple security agencies that await the unsuspecting traveler at Karachi airport, the process is actually quite smooth and staff at all points courteous, efficient and immaculately groomed. Just be prepared for the security question du jour (it changes). The day I left, it was bootlegged CD’s, two days earlier it was quantity of Pakistani currency and last week it was liquor and cigarettes! (I too did not realize people are smuggling liquor OUT of Pakistan). I checked-in at the Business+ desk, close to passport control. Because Business+ was overbooked, I settled for a seat in the Economy+ cabin and was waitlisted by the flight supervisor in Business+. I proceeded to the Business+ lounge, located up an interestingly laid out staircase in the international gate pod. The lounge is small, windowless and has few redeeming qualities other than the two white uniformed bearers staffing the area. A 32 inch Sony TV sits in one corner blaring out Pakistani pop videos and an internet capable PC sits in another corner. The bearers are polite and attentive, offering seated passengers hot and cold beverages, sandwiches and other tasty snacks. The flight boarded exactly one hour prior to the scheduled take off time with no particular boarding sequence. Passengers attempting to take more than one piece of carry-on baggage were accosted by a posse of PIA ground staff armed with pens and gate check tags. As a result, there were some fairly unhappy “aunties” and students who really shouldn’t have been able to get through three security checks with all that baggage in the first place. The crew welcomed passengers at the door of the aircraft and guided some to their seats. The flight supervisor came aboard to apologize personally for his inability to assign me a seat in the premium cabin. He did however collect $110 for my seat in the Economy+ cabin and invited me to sit in the Business+ cabin for the first leg of the flight (till Islamabad). Pre-departure soft drinks were followed by hot towels. After take-off, a choice of hot tea or coffee and then a hot towel prior to landing in Islamabad. At Islamabad, several important looking officials sporting buttoned up trench coats, moustaches and walkie-talkies in ready position (held close to their mouths with a thumb on the button) boarded to stage manage the loading of food and the passenger boarding process. Their leader approached me to apologize for the mix up in my reservation and said he was authorized to upgrade me if the premium cabin failed to check in full. Realizing that there are more VIP’s per square mile in Islamabad than anywhere else on earth, I didn’t hold out much hope and walked back to my assigned Economy+ seat to make myself comfortable. 22L was occupied by a sweet child who was clearly enjoying looking out of the window. He seemed upset at the prospect of having to relocate away from the window, so I took his assigned seat, 22J instead. This was an aisle seat in the second row of Economy+ and was quite comfortable, with lumbar support, a decent recline, adjustable headrest and footrest, and an extendable seat cushion. Seat pitch however was a claustrophobic 32 inches, five inches less than that in United Airline’s Economy+ product.

Once all the food and ancillary supplies were loaded, passengers began to stream aboard until every seat had a bottom in it. I was approached by the Senior Purser and the lead ground officer with the news that the premium cabin had checked in full and that I would have to remain in my assigned seat. The doors closed and welcome announcements followed from both the senior purser and captain. Hot towels and some very nice amenity kits were distributed while the aircraft waited in take-off position due to air traffic congestion over Afghanistan. The captain informed the passengers that the aircraft would be cruising over Afghanistan at only 25,000 feet due to the number of aircraft flying in the same corridor. Shortly after take off, with an excellent view of the snow capped Hindu Kush mountains of Afghanistan, we were served a breakfast tray consisting of an omelet, spicy sausage, chicken cutlet and offered cold and hot beverages. After breakfast and a pass of the duty free cart, most of the cabin settled back in their seats to take a nap until the lights were turned back on somewhere over southern Germany. Lunch trays were distributed, consisting of an outrageously unappetizing looking salad, biryani, chicken curry, spiced potatoes and peas, nan and a shami kebab. Desert was a Pakistani pudding. The crew worked frantically to clear up the meal trays before landing in Manchester. Once at the gate, the crew announced that everyone would have to deplane while the aircraft was cleaned. I and a handful of passengers decided not to deplane. I passed the time admiring the three other PIA aircraft parked at adjacent gates, silently cursing the security guard at Karachi who confiscated my spare camera batteries! The presence of 10-15 passengers on the aircraft was problematic for the cleaning crew, who were somewhat aggressive towards some of the female passengers with small children. I intervened when a particularly obnoxious member of the cleaning crew started shouting at one of the ladies who spoke no English – the intervention resulted in the cleaner being removed from the aircraft by his supervisor. If one is considering staying on the aircraft during the stop in Manchester, I would advise remaining seated the entire time that the cleaning crew is aboard so that they may complete their work without hindrance.

Take off from Manchester was delayed because just as the aircraft doors were about to close, two passengers decided they wanted to terminate their journey there. Their reasons did not appear to be medically related and the captain appealed with them to stay on board. Ultimately, they refused to fly and we were delayed about thirty minutes while their baggage was removed from the hold.

Another full meal was served shortly after take off from Manchester. A choice of continental or Pakistani cuisine was offered. Both were excellent (yes, I did try both!). Most of the cabin remained asleep or glued to their IFE screens during the transatlantic crossing. I noticed that the cleaning crew had left a mop in the bathroom. If this isn’t standard procedure, it’s probably not a bad idea! Ninety minutes before landing in Chicago, hot towels were distributed followed by a pre-arrival snack consisting of chicken sandwiches, cheesecake and a selection of hot or cold beverages. Trays were collected, landing cards distributed and headsets collected in what looked to be record time. The aircraft landed at Chicago approximately thirty minutes behind schedule. A number of passengers started collecting their bags and making their way toward the doors while we were still taxiing, something that was tolerated by the cabin crew. The aircraft docked at gate M12, which is in an excellent location - very close to the immigration counters in Terminal 5. Although I was delayed at passport control, due to the legendary line merging technique employed at O’Hare, I reached Baggage claim to find that my bags were one of the first few off the flight, having been marked priority during check-in at Karachi. PIA ground staff were on-hand, mainly moving VIP’s to the front of passport control lines and assisting them with their baggage.

All in all, apart from the stop in Islamabad, which added a good four - five hours to my journey, the flight was good and inflight service excellent. Based on my experience and observations, I feel that PIA has some of the most overworked and efficient cabin crew members around. On all five sectors of my round trip, I personally experienced excellent service and witnessed only courteous interactions between cabin crew and passengers, even when they were fielding passenger complaints. I was particularly pleased to see the cabin crew going out of their way to assist passengers with special needs. My only negative comment regarding the crew is the inconsistency of overhead communication regarding the departure/landing procedures and their inability or unwillingness to keep passengers in their seats during turbulence, the landing sequence and during taxiing.

If there was a major inconvenience, it was not being able to travel in Business class as a revenue passenger while non revenue VIP’s were able to do so. There were at least four other fare paying passengers prepared to pay for a seat in Business+ that night but all were denied the ability to do so thanks to PIA’s protocol procedures. I am a 1K (top tier flyer) member on United Airlines Mileage Plus program and a Platinum Elite on Continental Airlines OnePass program. I have to say that even though flying on PIA will not net me any elite qualifying miles in my principle frequent flyer programs, the experience was enjoyable enough to overlook this aspect on an occasional basis. I will fly PIA again and I will ensure I have a roundtrip Business+ ticket next time.

Old March 1st, 2005, 04:05 PM   #3
KarachiHero
KarachiHero_Usa

Likes (Received): 0

Arrow Pakistan International Airlines (PIA)

More than 200 passengers escaped down emergency chutes after a Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) jet caught fire at Manchester Airport on Tuesday.

The Boeing 777 from Karachi was taxiing on the runway when fire started in the undercarriage, the airport said.

Flight PK789 was en route to Toronto, Canada. The 220 passengers and 12 crew are airside awaiting another flight.

Four similar fires involving PIA jets last year were blamed on the wrong grease being used by the airline.

The report followed three fires at Manchester - one in May 2004 and two in June 2004 - and a fourth in Toronto, Canada, also in June 2004.

Since then the airline has changed the grease it uses and it is unclear what caused Tuesday's fire. The flight had landed at 0903 GMT and passengers were due to disembark at Terminal Two.

A small fire in the undercarriage was spotted and the plane stopped near Terminal One where the airport's firefighters tackled the flames.

Russell Craig, a spokesman for Manchester Airport, said: "It was a very small fire that was dealt with very quickly by our fire service."

'Everyone fine'

Emergency services helped lead the passengers and crew from the plane, a Greater Manchester Police spokesman said.

He said the airline's staff made sure passengers were safe before they were taken to Terminal Two to await a new flight to Toronto.

A PIA spokeswoman said: "Everyone on board is fine".

The airport was not closed during what was classed as a "ground" incident.

The plane is still in position and will be towed away at some point. None of the runways are closed or affected.

A full investigation into the fire will take place, said Mr Craig.

The report by the Air Accident Investigation Branch (AAIB) of the Department of Transport in September last year was into fires on the same Boeing 777 aircrafts.

It found the wrong type of grease was being used by the airline to lubricate the undercarriage and was thought to be causing fires when the brakes heated on braking after landing.

Manufacturer Boeing warned in 2001 that excess grease needed to be cleaned from the brakes.

Chris Yates, a transport expert from Jane's Transport, said the incident was unusual but minor.

"When an aircraft is moving like this and it's full of passengers you have to get those passengers off just in case anything does develop further.

"There was significant danger that this could have developed into a much larger fire, something much more serious."
KarachiHero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2005, 04:09 PM   #4
KarachiHero
KarachiHero_Usa

it was bound for toronto from karachi I think
Old March 1st, 2005, 07:03 PM   #5
KarachiHero
KarachiHero_Usa

The news was on Ary just Now the pessengers were taken to hospital for checkups and soon another flight will be taking them to there destination
Old March 1st, 2005, 07:27 PM   #6
HasanB

for Gods sake, they need to use the right grease ... it aint rocket science !!

Old March 2nd, 2005, 06:03 AM   #7
UnitedPakistan
Musharraf Ka Danda!

Likes (Received): 409

reread the article hasan it says they changed it

ELECTIONS 2008: WE ARE THE ELEMENTS OF CHANGE!
Har waqt hoon mein Pakistan ke liye..
UnitedPakistan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2005, 10:10 AM   #8
FK
Retired

Likes (Received): 1217

Quote:
Flight PK789 was en route to Toronto, Canada.
I'm going to Toronto, and I'm using the Karachi-Toronto flight

FIRE! NO!!!
FK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2005, 01:45 AM   #9
Mansoor786
Pakistan ZINDABAD

Likes (Received): 4

i thot the boeing 777 wont be released until 2006, i mean wasnt the FIRST FLIGHT MEANT FOR PAKISTAN??? and i didnt see nethin bout the 1st flight
Mansoor786 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2005, 04:23 PM   #10
FK
Retired

Likes (Received): 1217

Thats the Business and Economy PLUS reviews .. Ill let you in to the Economy Class ordeal when I travelled from Karachi-Islamabad-Manchester-Toronto!

I dont know either its PIA that sucks or the'v made the 777 look really bad!

There was absolutely no space, the seats were Jam-packed. The Entertainment screens's remotes were placed in the Arm-Rests, therefore making it hard to use them.

No proper food arrangements, first leg of the journey from KHI-ISL left at 2AM and it was a 2-Hour journey and we were provided Pepsi!

The food was the regular Chawal that they serve, which caused a lot of people to vomit in their Air-Sick bags.

Overall it was the worst journey I could ever take. On top of that the flight had 32 KIDS on board ...
FK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2005, 09:30 AM   #11
NewYork-wala
BANNED

Likes (Received): 95

My trip by PIA this time around was horrible both ways... I took 777 on the way to Islamabad from New York... Surprisingly, considering its a new plane, my entertainment screen didnt work at all, neither did my audio. When I complained the crew just ignored me. When I forced one to stop, she was very rude and told me she couldnt do anything... So the trip was long boring, and frustrating. The food while ok the first time, get repulsive by the end. I might have overlooked this had it not been for the fact that there were no redeeming features to the flight.
On the way back, I was on the older planes that have no personal tv's, so ofcourse your gonna be bored the whole way. On top of that I had a seat right next to the bathroom so had to smell the odor the entire way. And on top of that, an auntie in the back seat kept on kicking my seat all the way from Islamabad to New York. Soo all in all, a really bad trip. But to be fair, there were some good looking ladies on the flight, that made the flight more interesting...
NewYork-wala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2005, 02:28 PM   #12
UnitedPakistan
Musharraf Ka Danda!

haha ur all weird i had the best time no probs great crew

Old March 31st, 2005, 04:47 PM   #13
HasanB

Its strange that two ppl within here have had bad experiences. Ive heard many people saying damn good things about PIA on its new 777. Obviously there will be exceptions aswell. However it must be pointed out that it happens on any airline. Take the example of Emirates, I use this airline for my very frequent flights between London and Dubai. Their service is very poor, and i have encountered faulty TV screens on more than one occasion. To be fair though when the fault in the TV screen is reported, the cabin crew to at least appear to be concerned and try their best to sort the problem or find an empty seat for you.

The point is though, that PIA is taking big strides to modernise itself and it will take time before it perfects the art. My question is ... have they replaced the old aunties as stewardesses yet !?

Old March 31st, 2005, 07:52 PM   #14
UnitedPakistan
Musharraf Ka Danda!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HasanB
Its strange that two ppl within here have had bad experiences. Ive heard many people saying damn good things about PIA on its new 777. Obviously there will be exceptions aswell. However it must be pointed out that it happens on any airline. Take the example of Emirates, I use this airline for my very frequent flights between London and Dubai. Their service is very poor, and i have encountered faulty TV screens on more than one occasion. To be fair though when the fault in the TV screen is reported, the cabin crew to at least appear to be concerned and try their best to sort the problem or find an empty seat for you.

The point is though, that PIA is taking big strides to modernise itself and it will take time before it perfects the art. My question is ... have they replaced the old aunties as stewardesses yet !?
yes they are they were better looking women now

Old April 2nd, 2005, 10:43 PM   #15
NewYork-wala
BANNED

Likes (Received): 95

Yes, thats definently and improbement... Most of the flights have ver good or relatively god looking ladies
Even the Aunties are much improved...
And I have to admit that Pakistani women are consistently beautiful on most trips
NewYork-wala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2005, 08:08 AM   #16
UnitedPakistan
Musharraf Ka Danda!

Tariq Kirmani new PIA chief

Tariq Kirmani new PIA chief

By Sher Baz Khan

ISLAMABAD, April 16: Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz on Saturday replaced PIA's MD Ahmed Saeed with MD PSO Tariq Kirmani on account of failure of the national flag carrier to meet Rs4.3 billion projected profit target in 2004 despite government subsidy of Rs23 billion.

The prime minister took the decision after a presentation at the prime minister house by the top PIA management on a number of contentious issues, including sale of A300B4, to which the Senate Standing Committee on Defence had objected.

PM Aziz was also briefed on the issue with regard to Roosevelt hotel, stuck-up Rs877 million, failure of Rs275 million passenger revenue accounting system and inability of PIA to meet Rs4.3 billion projected budgetary.

Officials in the prime minister's secretariat said the prime minister had received complaints that PIA had refused to pay Rs3.11 billion to the Civil Aviation Authority and no provision was made in the accounts for the same while PIA declared profit for the year 2004.

Moreover, by the end of 2004, Rs1.1 billion were outstanding against PIA on account of unlawful termination of services of employees and contracts. Besides the collector central excise had raised demand of Rs1.05 billion "in respect of duties levied on tickets provided by the corporation to its staff either free of charge or at concession, repair of re-imported engines, non-availability of invoices etc."

Sources said Prime Minister Aziz took a strong notice of the promotions made by the outgoing chairman just days prior to his ouster. It was learnt that a number of general managers and directors, including Khurshid Anwar, Imran Ahmed, Sikander Ilahi, Mumtaz Rajper and Air Vice Marshal Niaz, were removed by Mr Saeed during his tenure and he appointed non-professionals on professional posts. Some of the officials had contested their removal at various forums.

Old April 17th, 2005, 08:12 AM   #17
UnitedPakistan
Musharraf Ka Danda!

PM asks PIA to improve service

PM asks PIA to improve service

ISLAMABAD, April 16: Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz on Saturday asked the senior management of the Pakistan International Airlines Corporation (PIAC) to redouble its efforts for achieving higher standards of service while maintaining profitability of the corporation.

He was attending a presentation on the PIA at the prime minister's house on Saturday. He said that being the national flag carrier, the PIA had a responsibility to ensure that passengers travelled in safety and comfort.

"The government is alive to the difficult situation PIA is facing due to the unprecedented increase in oil prices and their adverse impact on airline business", he observed.

The PM expressed hope that with prudent measures and greater professionalism the PIA would be able to come out of the present situation.

He complimented the efforts of PIA for survival in a highly competitive international environment. Emphasizing the need of adopting a professional approach to deal with growing challenges, the prime minister said the government was a believer in free market economy "but at the same time it is our responsibility to improve the product". He also urged PIA to strive for introducing the country's rich cultural heritage to the world.-APP

Old April 23rd, 2005, 11:57 PM   #18
UnitedPakistan
Musharraf Ka Danda!

Discount for senior citizens in PIA

Discount for senior citizens in PIA

ISLAMABAD, April 21: The laxity of maintenance procedures led to a fire in the engine of PIA’s flight 789 at Manchester airport in the recent past as the aircraft. Responding to a question by MNA Imtiaz Warraich, the defence ministry informed the National Assembly on Thursday that Boeing company attributed the incident of fire to excessive grease in the break assembly and presence of residual cleaning solvents on the heat shield.

The ministry sought time to collect details in response to a question by MNA Dr Attaur Rehman about the number of planes whose engines had been changed during the first two months of the current year and the life period of the engines along with the details of the amount incurred on replacement of engines.

Senior Citizens: In response to another question by MNA Tasneem Ahmed Qureshi, the ministry informed the lower house that senior citizens were being given 20 per cent discount on all domestic flights. The discount would also be applicable to economy and economy plus classes, except in the night coaches.

Leave Rules: In reply to a question by MNA Asadullah Bhutto if all types of leave of PIA employees had been reduced, the ministry informed the house that the national carrier changed leave rules to retrieve the corporation from the brink of an administrative and financial collapse.

The ministry said had the government not intervened to stabilize PIAC and its affairs, the organization would have collapsed.

— Staff Reporter

Old September 20th, 2005, 08:46 AM   #19
zees
My Love ♥ My Karachi

Likes (Received): 228

PIA, Avis enter FlyDrive deal

Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) on Monday announced that it has signed a key partnership with Avis a global car rental company.

As per the FlyDrive agreement, all PIA passengers will be benefiting from special discount rates when renting an Avis car in all countries where Avis operates, a PIA press release said.

"Members of the airline’s AwardsPlus programme, will in addition be enjoying added benefits and to obtain the agreed discounts, PIA passengers will simply show their boarding pass to the Avis rental agent on collection of their vehicle," added the statement.

He termed it another step forward in providing the comfort and convenience to their valued passengers, added the statement

My Love ♥ My Karachi
http://facebook.com/ckarachi

Blogs|Twitter|Youtube|Hosting|Digital Media Studio|Accounting|Memphis Tax
zees no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2005, 07:39 AM   #20
Dallas1

Likes (Received): 670

Pakistan International Airlines (PIA)

KARACHI (November 03 2005): The Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) will acquire seven new ATR-500 turbo prop aircraft. This was announced in a statement of the airline issued here on Wednesday. It said that the PIA signed an agreement with Avions de Transport Regional (ATR), France, for the purchase of seven new ATR42-500 turbo prop aircraft on Wednesday at the PIA Head Office.

PIA Chairman and CEO Tariq Kirmani and ATR CEO Filippo Bagnato signed the agreement in the presence of Consul General of France and Italy.

The aircraft will replace PIA's old F-27 aircraft fleet operated on socio-economic routes.

The 7 firm 48 seat aircraft are scheduled to be delivered between 2006 and 2007 with delivery of first aircraft to PIA in May 2006. The total value of the contract is approximately $100 million.

Tariq Kirmani said, "PIA carried out an in-depth evaluation of all aircraft available in this turbo prop aircraft category. Demo flight were also conducted during the evaluation, the aircraft were gauged on various performance attributes for instance, passenger appeal and comfort, aircraft maintainability, operational durability and economics. PIA selected ATR42-500 aircraft as it is best suited these parameters."

ATR CEO Filippo Bagnato said, "PIA is a second new customer to chose our aircraft this year. Once again, this commercial success is evidence of the strong resurgence of the turbo prop aircraft in the regional aviation market. I am very proud of the decision in favour of ATR. ATR42-500 offers a combination of exceptional overall performance and comfort unmatched in its class. It has outstanding performance when operating from hot and high and short runways, while maintaining the operating economics and reliability.

This 48-seater aircraft has a specially designed low noise cabin interior providing maximum comfort to the passengers.

ATR42-500 aircraft are equipped with the Multi-Purpose Computer (MPC) and complies with the latest navigation requirements such as Precision Are Navigation (P-RNAV). Since the beginning of the programme, ATR has sold 738 aircraft (398 ATR42s and 360 ATR72s). ATR42-500 aircraft are operated by several airlines around the globe substantiating its triumph as market leader among other turbo prop aircraft.

The purchase of seven turbo prop aircraft from ATR would further strengthen Pakistan's economic ties with France and Italy, in particular, and with the European Union, in general, for years to come.
Dallas1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: