SkyscraperCity Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Metrolink - Proposals

10M views 52K replies 763 participants last post by  Little Spoon 
#1 · (Edited)
In order to seperate progress on the extensions from other chat about Metrolink, am kicking off this new thread with some images of the work on the Chorlton branch which I've brazenly borrowed from some nice chap on flickr (called Andrew L. Roberts - bravo to you fella, :cheers: very well taken and informative piccies! This first one has Wilbraham Road Bridge in the background:

Looking north from Ayres Road Bridge:

Looking south from Ayres Road Bridge:

Anyone got any more???

See less See more
#16,481 ·
Didsbury track laying

Well the track has almost made it to West Didsbury station now!

Snaking through the cutting in Didsbury Village and disappearing into the tunnel

Looking the other way from the top of the tunnel portal - can anyone explain the random use of wooden sleepers?

Other side of Wilmslow Road bridge, heading towards Chorlton and the city...

Back the other way, going into the tunnel

You can just about see the end of the line!

Finally for no other reason than that I like it - the view from my car park of the huge pilling drill thing working on the bridge for the Airport line, just after its split from the SML:

Won't be long before the whole line is tracked up and ready for the OLE to go in! :banana::banana::banana:

#16,483 ·
A simple question on Metrolink travel from Rochdale:

Where are travellers who board Metrolink at Rochdale going to travel to?

a) Between Kingsway BP and Shaw?
b) Between Shaw and Derker?
c) Oldham?
d) Between Oldham and CP?
e) Manchester and beyond?

It just seems a ginormous investment if the majority are only going as far as a), b) or c).
I was wondering that myself.

Right now I work at Sudden near Castleton, a short distance from Rochdale tram station, and also from Castleton rail station. I can grab the train and be in Manchester in about half an hour. If I got the Mtrolink, it would have to go the whole length of the line, and I'm not convinced it would be much quicker (speed being the main reason if I choose to use the Metrolink rather than the bus).

#16,486 ·
Perhaps people as far as Newhey, Newbold, Shaw or Milnrow will take the tram to Rochdale and then change to the train to get to Manchester?

#16,488 ·

c) Oldham?

It just seems a ginormous investment if the majority are only going as far as a), b) or c).
Investment that means no further ongoing subsidy, because the previous service didn't meet the potential market. Skip-stop, infrequent, outer-suburban, concentrating on Manchester flows.

Metrolink will serve the inner-suburban (previously ignored), intra-town (relieving the likes of the 409) and intra-suburban (like Milnrow - Shaw), as well as potentially cross-conurbation (taking M60 traffic).

Hopefully it will do the same in reverse, and take people TO Rochdale, who wouldn't (or couldn't) get there before.

#16,489 ·
Hi

Good picture of West Didsbury Martin:cheers:

c) Oldham?

I think it would been better idea to have Metrolink just going as far as Shaw and having railway line from Shaw to Rochdale even having two lines to Rochdale becuase the could have Metrolink stop where it is know and had railway station where it was before?

#16,490 ·
My man on the inside 'suggests' the Oldham line will open to Mumps on 10th April
if the Irk Valley Junction commissioning goes to plan!
Know if and it big if Oldham line do open on 10th April would the mean the TMS is working or will the use old signals on line to Mumps?

#16,491 ·
Metrolink will serve the inner-suburban (previously ignored), intra-town (relieving the likes of the 409) and intra-suburban (like Milnrow - Shaw), as well as potentially cross-conurbation (taking M60 traffic).
I's take issue with that. I live in Ashton and work in Oldham but travelling by tram between them would mean going through Manchester and out the other side. Meetrolink is totally manchester-centric!:nuts:

#16,492 ·
Know if and it big if Oldham line do open on 10th April would the mean the TMS is working or will the use old signals on line to Mumps?
Firstly I would think it more likely that training and trial running would start on April10th than the line will open for service. They will need at least 4 to 6 weeks to train staff and conduct trial running.

As we know from what has been posted here over the last few weeks the junction at Irk Valley will use the existing signalling modified to control it. The single line will be a modified traditional signalling installation if the info posted here previously is right. The rest will be TMS just as the main part of the SML is TMS supervised as all it does is manage timetables and tram location supervision.

#16,493 ·
I's take issue with that. I live in Ashton and work in Oldham but travelling by tram between them would mean going through Manchester and out the other side. Meetrolink is totally manchester-centric!:nuts:
I was thinking more Rochdale - Sale than Oldham - Ashton, but then the Park Bridge route could always be rebuilt/converted back from cycleway.

#16,494 ·
I understand what you say but I think that the line between Oldham and Rochdale my change that with people using it locally to travel between the various small towns and Oldham/Rochdale. The Eccles line sees quite a lot of passengers off the Altrincham Line who never go into town. The 409 will only suffer if the journey time between Oldham and Rochdale is significantly faster than the bus once the town centre sections open.

#16,495 ·
Firstly I would think it more likely that training and trial running would start on April10th than the line will open for service. They will need at least 4 to 6 weeks to train staff and conduct trial running.

As we know from what has been posted here over the last few weeks the junction at Irk Valley will use the existing signalling modified to control it. The single line will be a modified traditional signalling installation if the info posted here previously is right. The rest will be TMS just as the main part of the SML is TMS supervised as all it does is manage timetables and tram location supervision.
May seems to be the favourite. Drivers will key into TMS at Irk Valley Junction as per Old Trafford/Firswood. TMS running 'discrete' beyond there to Oldham Mumps.

#16,498 ·
Any more expensive than the viaduct at Central Park/Newton Heath, or over the M60/Mersey for the East Didsbury - Stockport?

Probably not but I don't think BCR stacks up quite as well somehow, there are also Turner Lane and the Sheepwashers Tunnels and various missing bridges to rebuild. I guess they would need to buy up part of the industrial estate just before the old location of Oldham Road station.

#16,500 ·
Would be interesting timing as it would be immediately after the Easter weekend. I think it would be too soon. I think there'll be a few weeks testing first to make sure everything is alright and not cause any disruptions to the Bury line.

c) Oldham?

I think it's a to d. There may be some people from Failsworth and Hollinwood wishing to travel to Rochdale (no direct bus service from Hollinwood to Rochdale).

I can imagine a few people travelling from Newhey and Milnrow might use the Metrolink to connect with the train at Rochdale but any delays will mean Metrolink would be the better option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.