SkyscraperCity Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Metrolink - Proposals

10M views 52K replies 763 participants last post by  Little Spoon 
#1 · (Edited)
In order to seperate progress on the extensions from other chat about Metrolink, am kicking off this new thread with some images of the work on the Chorlton branch which I've brazenly borrowed from some nice chap on flickr (called Andrew L. Roberts - bravo to you fella, :cheers: very well taken and informative piccies! This first one has Wilbraham Road Bridge in the background:

Looking north from Ayres Road Bridge:

Looking south from Ayres Road Bridge:

Anyone got any more???

See less See more
#18,463 ·
Ive just taken added a couple of photos of the map on the ticket machine at South Chadderton to my Flickr account, unfortunately i cannot add photos. If anyone wants to have a look my flickr name is imber2012
When u go on picture u will see something called share go on that and copy the link onto this website but make sure is BBCODE.

#18,467 ·
Good picture at South Chadderton imber:cheers: if u look at Ticket machines it look like u could buy ticket they.

#18,474 ·
I'm guessing this is the picture in question :)

When the Ashton line opens there will be 3 distinct lines there. Be good if they could rearrange the lines to make the network more simple.

St Werbughs Road to Oldham (East Didsbury to Rochdale)

Eccles/Mediacity to Ashton

Bury to Altrincham

Only problem doing this is there's no link between Victoria and Piccadilly, although.......... when 2cc and Airport line opens, there will be a link via the Ordsall curve.

Then they add on Trafford Centre and Airport to the City Centre via either 1CC or 2CC.

5 end to end lines. Easy network!

Be even better if they had managed a delta outside Victoria so trams from 2CC could have turned right and continued to Piccadilly.

#18,476 ·
There are 80 chains in a mile so the single line is 75 chains long if your mileage figures are correct (which I doubt).
And that equates to 1650 yards

According to Metrolink chainages the single line starts at 10.950km at the Manchester end and finishes at 11.5km.
And that equates to 601 yds - bit of a difference!

For timetabling purposes, wouldn't you have to take into account the distance between the signals controlling the single line section? Does anyone know what that distance is?

CW

#18,477 ·
For timetabling purposes, wouldn't you have to take into account the distance between the signals controlling the single line section? Does anyone know what that distance is?

CW
That was what I was thinking of when I first asked the question. I looked at google maps and although I had to guess where the single line around Newton Heath starts/ends (from looking at pictures and relating to the bridges), the Newton Heath single line looks shorter than the one at Navigation Rd, so there shouldn't be too much problem with a 6min frequency through there. :)

#18,478 ·
Fantastic job Mac - would love to see you add the other possible routes too (for example the Tram-Trains and the Stalybridge extension)

To be honest I really don't think we'll be waiting until 2030 to achieve what you show there - (I know I'm always overly-optimistic but) don't be surprised if all that is done at least a decade earlier. Remember they are thinking of keeping the programme rolling (its cheaper) so if all goes to plan they could at least begin the Port Salford construction while the teams are all still putting the finishing touches to Airport & 2CC. One has to live in hope!

#18,479 ·

CW
The 2 protecting signals on the Navigation Road single line are at 10.7 and 11.750 km so I guess the original statement was actually true.

However it's not just the signal spacing that is important, the position of the track circuit joints clearing the section are just as important. Inbound the tram appears to have to be nearly 200 metres clear before the section is shown clear whereas outbound it is only around 40 metres.

#18,480 ·
^^ Why isn't Victoria in Bold block capitals like it is on the maps inside the tram?
I assume only terminating stations are in Bold and Capitals. Currently Trams from St Werburgh's Road terminate at Victoria. Victoria will cease to be a regular terminating station when Oldham opens. It also explains why Cornbrook is bold, as, according to the maps at least, it is a terminating station for the MediaCity line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.