SkyscraperCity Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Metrolink - Proposals

10M views 52K replies 763 participants last post by  Little Spoon 
#1 · (Edited)
In order to seperate progress on the extensions from other chat about Metrolink, am kicking off this new thread with some images of the work on the Chorlton branch which I've brazenly borrowed from some nice chap on flickr (called Andrew L. Roberts - bravo to you fella, :cheers: very well taken and informative piccies! This first one has Wilbraham Road Bridge in the background:

Looking north from Ayres Road Bridge:

Looking south from Ayres Road Bridge:

Anyone got any more???

See less See more
#18,561 ·
Here's a few shots of the training/testing between Monsall and Central Park :-

Heading for Monsall :-

Two.
:banana::banana:
^^^^ Good picture at Central Park Johnny :cheers: I see u took picture of tram saying Oldham Mumps on it and I'm bit surprise they where two trams closes to each other at Central Park, Wonder if we will see Double M5000 trams on Oldham line like we did on Chorlton line when they word testing the trams out or driving training?

#18,562 ·
#18,563 ·
Great pics, but they need to do something about the flytipping.
I heartily recommend shooting 10% of the local residents and displaying the corpses as a warning to others. This may seem extreme, but nothing else has ever worked.

(and if you haven't been narrowly missed by a scooter (petrol, running) thrown over a bridge parapet, then you may not understand my frustration ...)

#18,566 · (Edited)
I believe the idea isn't for end-to-end journeys (which are already served by the mainline), but to open up Stockport for shorter journeys. Personally I'd have the Met running as far as Stockport rail station for fully-connected-up-ness (and we're venturing dangerously in the 'Metrolink future' thread territory)
Me too, laser. Stockport has good rail links North<>South, but very poor East<>West. It would also connect, say Marple/Stockport to Didsbury, Chorlton, Trafford, and the Cornbrook interchange possibilities to Media City, Quays, Eccles, Port Salford, etc.

# No reason why they shouldn't test doubles North of Victoria ro2, then after that I guess it will have to wait for Mosley St to close. (Unless . . .they decided to close it anyway without the promised Altrincham Indicator, until TMS comes along - now there's a naughty suggestion! But it sounds like the lack of info wouldn't be much different to what people are complaining about now, in this transitional phase . . .)

Double bananas :-
And when it finally arrived with a bang, it was a double whammy on 8th June 2011 !! :-

To date, these remain some of the very few pictures of a double banana in action! :-

I didn't expect to wait another 12 months before seeing this again!! The second one drew up behind the first at Central Park, so obviously there's no problem about that.

However, I was at South Chaddeh to-day, and the guy was very helpful with info, e.g.

• It is currently taking 17-18 mins from the Smedley to Mumps, although they are nowhere near line speed as yet;
  • The points are still being changed manually on the Smed, but the crossover points at Mumps have been commissioned and are now being operated remotely by the controller at Queen's Road;
  • The PIDs are working correctly but are slightly 'optimistic' due to the trainee drivers not being up to line speed;
  • The 'brand new' drivers go slower than experienced ones who are just doing route learning;
  • The training is being done in two shifts, 0600-1400 and 1400-2200. So NB photographers there may sometimes be a gap in trams passing around 2 pm!
  • It's going well in general and they are hoping, all being well, possibly, probably, subject to exigencies and eventualities, for public service early June. That is, so long as nothing happens, and all being well. . . . :):nuts::)
:banana:

#18,569 ·
Being reported elsewhere that TMS is to be used for the Irk Valley junction.

Is that correct? I thought it was going to be an old block signalling solution until TMS was working?
TMS is not being used at Irk Valley, it uses a modified block signalling solution to link with the Bury Line signalling until TMS is commissioned right through from Victoria.

#18,574 ·
However, I was at South Chaddeh to-day, and the guy was very helpful with info, e.g.

• It's going well in general and they are hoping, all being well, possibly, probably, subject to exigencies and eventualities, for public service early June. That is, so long as nothing happens, and all being well. . . . :):nuts::)
Has that guy considered a career in politics? Great news, and great pics.

#18,575 ·
Me too, laser. Stockport has good rail links North<>South, but very poor East<>West. It would also connect, say Marple/Stockport to Didsbury, Chorlton, Trafford, and the Cornbrook interchange possibilities to Media City, Quays, Eccles, Port Salford, etc.

• It is currently taking 17-18 mins from the Smedley to Mumps, although they are nowhere near line speed as yet;
  • The 'brand new' drivers go slower than experienced ones who are just doing route learning;
  • The training is being done in two shifts, 0600-1400 and 1400-2200. So NB photographers there may sometimes be a gap in trams passing around 2 pm!
^^^^ Thanks for info Johnny:cheers:, So 7th June is look good then:) also I have notice today that some trams have been going slower up to Mumps that probably why, I have notice they start early but I will't say they finish at 10pm is more likely 9pm or bit early but aleast everything looking good on the Oldham line.

#18,576 · (Edited)
Well no-one mentioned the 7th ro2? It could be December 8th, like Paris have already announced, but for Oldham they may be hoping for early June.

Possibly . . . . (but not definitely!)

I regret to say that one of the trams was showing the display "St Werburgh's Road via Victoria".

This is fine on the PIDs, for ease of geography or unfamiliarity, but if we are to have trams swanning all around town with lots of complicated information on the front, pretty soon I fear it will all look very messy and amateurish.

Keep it simple!

Viaducts are not all that snapper-friendly when you can't get up there, but we do what we can! :-

I'm surprised the lift-shaft isn't brick clad as at Firswood, given the amount of closely adjacent brick-built property, and including quite a bit of brand new stuff :-

#18,577 ·
Johnny de Rivative said:
Well no-one mentioned the 7th ro2? It could be December 8th, like Paris have already announced, but for Oldham they may be hoping for early June.

Possibly . . . . (but not definitely!)

I regret to say that one of the trams was showing the display "St Werburgh's Road via Victoria".

This is fine on the PIDs, for ease of geography or unfamiliarity, but if we are to have trams swanning all around town with lots of complicated information on the front, pretty soon I fear it will all look very messy and amateurish.

Keep it simple!

Viaducts are not all that snapper-friendly when you can't get up there, but we do what we can! :-

Wow those last few with the owl are amazing. Thanks for sharing!

#18,578 ·
Tramboy said:
Excellent map! have you thought about adding in the possible Marple tram/train route?, as that will no-doubt be operated by Metrolink, and was in the original plans all those years ago?

Although I wouldn't do the route to stockport via East Didsbury,(too long a Journey) I'd place it off the Marple route & follow the old alignment of the Trans-Pennine trail, Taking in Brinnington, Portwood (for TESCO & the retail park) & then road into Stockport.

apologies for rudely interrupting the flow.:)
Thanks. Currently not looking at adding the train-trains as not sure where to put them across in the city centre. Been far to busy working on maps for Oldham.

However a current network style map with the original service plans is in the offing.

#18,579 ·
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.