SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Bus Rapid Transit (BRT)

2M views 7K replies 618 participants last post by  ampcell 
#1 ·
RP's 9th LRT system eyed for Cebu
SUNDAY, AUGUST 19, 2007 | TRANSPORTATION

MANILA (PNA) - If plans don't miscarry, Cebu will soon have a modern, efficient and reliable light rail transit (LRT) system to keep pace with rapid population growth and economic expansion.

Cebu Rep. Eduardo Gullas has filed House Bill 310, seeking the establishment of the province's first LRT system, in order to ease heavy motor vehicle traffic congestion in one of the country's fastest-growing urban hubs.

"There is no question Cebu desperately needs a fast, safe, convenient and economical LRT system," Gullas, a former Cebu provincial governor, said.

"This is the best time for the government to invest in a new LRT system for Cebu, with the peso strengthening against the US dollar," Gullas said.

"Two years ago, it would have cost us P55 billion to put together a US$ 1-billion LRT system. Now, it would cost us only P46 billion to put up the same project," he added.

Gullas' initiative came as the national government prepared to reinforce Cebu's infrastructure support under the Central Philippines Investment Program.

Under the program, Malacañang approved some P60.8-billion worth of fresh public infrastructure spending for Cebu up to 2010.

Of the amount, more than half or P33 billion would be initially allocated for the proposed Metro Cebu Mass Transportation System (MCMTS), thus matching Gullas' initiative.

The MCMTS involves the construction of a modern railway network from Talisay City to the Municipality of Consolacion for the first phase, and from Talisay to Carcar City and Consolacion to Danao City for the second phase.

The system would be the country's ninth and the first outside Metro Manila, which now has eight LRT channels that are either fully operational, under construction, or in the drawing boards.

Under Gullas' bill, the Department of Transportation and Communications (DOTC) would be required to prepare and execute a plan to establish and operate the new LRT system.

The DOTC actually already has an initial plan to build a US$ 1-billion LRT system for Metro Cebu.

The department earlier forged a build-operate-transfer agreement with the AMA Group of Holdings Corp. for the construction of a 71-kilometer, three-phased LRT system that would run through Metro Cebu from Carcar in the south to Danao in the north.

However, project execution has been stalled, as the DOTC has found it difficult to get lower offers from other private contractors.

Meanwhile, the Central Philippines Investment Program also includes P18.88 billion for Cebu's seaports; P6.3 billion for Central Visayas' roads and bridges; P1.9 billion for the region's tourism infrastructure; and P749 million for airports. (PNA)

DCT/PR/rsm

See less See more
#45 ·
^^ scrap that MRT/LRT system if it were to be built along Jones Ave, i really don't like the idea of putting a huge concrete wall in the center of the road... even if we design it like those of our neighboring neighbors we will still end up having a dirty, expensive, chaotic, and bankrupt system all because of government red tape, corruption, and lack of self-discipline. MODERNITY? I don't think it is a good answer...

#46 ·
^^i didnt mention anything about building an LRT line along Jones...but i'm with you in opposing that...for now, a BRT would be the practical choice...and should the demand for a more efficient system come--LRT, MRT, or subway--we could always sell the buses to some other Philippine city that would benefit from them, then put the new system where the buses used to be

#48 ·
I've seen the roads in Cebu or atleast at Jones Ave. It may have 6 to 8 lanes but the actual width size is still narrow. Although there is a road there going towards Minglanila that is wider, probably because it was built in the latter years unlike Jones that been there for a long long time.

#49 ·
if you'll all take a closer look, Cebu's streets arent really that small...Jones Avenue for example is 8-lanes-wide, and N. Bacalso is a good 6-8-lanes...the real problem is the lack of discipline in most drivers
^^ It might be that case but trains are well designed to sharp curves. Im possitive that it is not impossible to set a mass transport in Cebu and they must initiate it now...

#50 ·
you are probably referring to railways constructed before the war. if i'm not mistaken, the first railway constructed after the war is LRT1.

http://www.pnr.gov.ph/
Before and after. Ang tinutukoy ko kasi mejo off topic, about sa maintenance ng railways natin. Halos same lang sya sa comment mo about our Highways.

Dodong nakasakay ka na ba sa LRT1 or MRT3? Pag naranasan mo na sumakay, alam mo na rin kung ano tinutukoy ko. LRT2 mejo napapabayaan na rin pero OKx pa naman.

#51 ·
Maybe the Cebu government would privatize the LRT system in Cebu so that hopefully, it will be well kept and maintained. I don't know if that is possible. Looking at BRT system, it will not be too bad to have it in Cebu, especially if that can be modified a little bit where there would be an extra car behind that can be pulled just like a train. On the whole Island of Cebu including Mactan Island, I can see how an rail system will benefit the whole region so hopefully all you guy's suggestion would be realized as I don't think none of them were all a bad idea...

#52 ·
I think Cebu could build a purple-line like LRT system (although I believe ito ang pinakainutil na line ng LRT because marami namang Jeepneys na nagpapass-by sa area, which renders this a piece of weirdness and white elephant.

#56 · (Edited)
Before and after. Ang tinutukoy ko kasi mejo off topic, about sa maintenance ng railways natin. Halos same lang sya sa comment mo about our Highways.

Dodong nakasakay ka na ba sa LRT1 or MRT3? Pag naranasan mo na sumakay, alam mo na rin kung ano tinutukoy ko. LRT2 mejo napapabayaan na rin pero OKx pa naman.
yeah, 8 years ako dyan at kaaalis ko lang. LRT1 sinasakyan ko papuntang opisina at MRT pag namamasyal ako sa cubao. ok pa rin yan. at least, umabot ng 23 years ang LRT1 at 8 years ang MRT3. kung highway pa ang MRT3, isang malakas na ulan pa lang, malamang may mga butas na kinabukasan yan dahil sa baha at sa laki ng mga sasakyan na dumadaan dyan sa EDSA.

BTW, was there a railway construction after the war and before LRT1? As fas as I know, the railway from dagupan to manila was constructed in 1892 and the extension railways from dagupan to la union and manila to legaspi were constructed in 1916. branch lines within central luzon and metro manila were also constructed in 1916.

#60 ·
BTW, was there a railway construction after the war and before LRT1? As fas as I know, the railway from dagupan to manila was constructed in 1892 and the extension railways from dagupan to la union and manila to legaspi were constructed in 1916. branch lines within central luzon and metro manila were also constructed in 1916.
What year was the Carmona branchline built?
IIRC this was a Marcos project and ws the last MRR/PNR branchline to be built thus far.

Brad