SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Three-Wheeler Vehicles: Tricyle, Pedicabs, Kuligligs Etc.

71K views 89 replies 30 participants last post by  absinthe_888 
#1 · (Edited)

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/03/ab/0f/fc/trike-jpg.jpg#S61542396

Tricycles in the Philippines

SEPTEMBER 1, 2013 BY D0CTRINE

We start the “ber” months strong with an initial feature on an ubiquitous mode of transport in the Philippines. While the jeepney seems to have had most of the attention when the subject of public transport in the Philippines is discussed, the truth is that there is arguably another, more dominant mode of public transport in the country. These are the tricycles, a motorized three-wheeler consisting of a motorcycle and a sidecar.

You see these everywhere around the country in most cities and municipalities where they thrive particularly in residential areas. They are usually the only mode of public transport for most people in rural areas where local roads are typically narrow. In many cases the only roads connecting communities may be national roads. And so, there is really no other choice for tricycles but to travel along national roads and against existing laws prohibiting tricycles from these roads.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...2foGXtxYe-EVFAcmw&sig2=W26ZvbmdHqc6nX4cs32x7w

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
News Feature: Ilonggo inventors design may revolutionize trikes side car

BY: LILIBETH A. FRENCH
Tuesday 10th of September 2013

ILOILO CITY, Sept. 10 (LAF) - - The sidecar is molded to accomodate comfortably four passengers and is lighter and economical as weight was reduced by 50%, and blends all in one with the motorcycle. It has also standards and engineering parameters to ensure safety and road worthiness.

"I came to a point of designing a sidecar for tricycle to match with motorcycles, not only for the comfort of the passengers but also how to make it more profitable and convenient on the part of the owner and driver as their means of livelihood,” said Abella who is an Aviation Electronics technician by profession.

Abella has already sold a number of units at P35,000 financed out of his personal and family funds.
source: See more at: PIA | News Feature: Ilonggo inventors design may revolutionize trikes side car

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

#9 ·
News Feature: Ilonggo inventors design may revolutionize trikes side car

BY: LILIBETH A. FRENCH
Tuesday 10th of September 2013

source: See more at: PIA | News Feature: Ilonggo inventors design may revolutionize trikes side car

:cheers::cheers::cheers:
Kahit pa magrevolutionize ang design ng mga trikes side car, wala pa rin effect dahil dapat ang mabgo dyan ay yung ugali at pag-iisip ng mga nagmamaneho nyan. Dami sa kanina mga bastos at walang sinusunod na batas trapiko lalo na sa part ng Tondo

#4 ·
Filipino tricycles, trisikads are so uncomfortable, narrow, built for 1.5 persons and midgets. Damn ugly too! I Here are some designs, motorized, non-motorized I've come across even in very 3rd world or 1st world countries:

Tuk tuk, rode this type a lot in Honduras, with a baggage compartment at the back of the seat.

Euro trisikad tourist version

Another Euro trisikad in tourist areas only (avail motorized as well) but made in China this one

Are Filipinos so limited in talent they can't come up with better versions of the tricycle? It looks like the tricis of 2-3 generations ago were much better, more comfortable than the current designs/versions. Downhill slide of Filipino ingenuity and innovation.

#5 ·
We should get our local industrial designers to design a nice looking RP style tricycle.

While those tuktuks are trying to copy cars, RP style tricycles have the advantage of having a very tight turning radius. However, they are just damn ugly, I'm sure a creative industrial designer can make a good looking design.

#6 ·
Not so much ugly, but very uncomfortable. The midget version you're practically half reclined inside, and the capacity as I said, is 1.5 butts not 2. On the highway, I see these things and it's kinda scary. Besides, there 3 wheeled cars, 3 wheeled motor cycles etc etc. The objective of a trici is to carry passengers in safety and comfort not the turning radius.

#17 ·
Yes, you should explore the provinces so you can see how they do it. People and cargo on the roof, plus maybe some livestock.

LGUs are tasked to regulate the issuance of franchises to tricycles, maybe they should spearhead safety regulations for tricycles. Unfortunately, Pinoys don't think about safety too much, they just think about how they are gonna get to their next destination without too much walking.

#19 ·
Yes, you should explore the provinces so you can see how they do it. People and cargo on the roof, plus maybe some livestock.

LGUs are tasked to regulate the issuance of franchises to tricycles, maybe they should spearhead safety regulations for tricycles. Unfortunately, Pinoys don't think about safety too much, they just think about how they are gonna get to their next destination without too much walking.
I know. When I'm in the PH, I only work in da probins so I see these kuligligs, tricis even on highways. There should also be a national agency that can set the standards for vehicle before licensing an actual vehicle to be on the road.

#20 ·
Nice design, but just a "sosyal" version of the midget trici. The carriage is narrow (not enough for 2 people), and the height is low, no side view mirror for safety, etc. Plus of course this is only from a design perspective, how about the motor? What kind of motor should it be running on etc etc. I'm not sure what criteria they used.

#23 · (Edited)
This news made my day! :cheers: :cheers:

Philippines will phase-out 3.5 Million Tricycles to save EARTH & $5 Billion USD imported Gas yearly
AT 10:13 PM 0 COMMENTS

(snipped)

The Asian Development Bank (ADB) will provide $300 million and The Philippines government will provide an additional $99 million to the project. Tricycle taxis are one of the Philippines' most widely used forms of transport for travelling short distances, but they are also responsible for more than two-thirds of air pollution.

The ADB estimates that there are 200,000 tricycles in the Manila metropolitan region alone, and about 3.5 million in the entire country. The tricycles use nearly $5 billion of imported fuel every year, produce about ten million tons of carbon dioxide, and are the biggest source of particulate pollution in urban areas. The World Bank estimates that the total economic burden of air pollution to the Philippines economy is more than $150 million each year.

#24 ·
Very nice indeed. Like it.

I have a suggestion in the design I hope its not too late or they already implemented it. The design should take the battery and the engine on top or roof if possible (don't know how they do this, top of the roof is I know extreme). The design is like our "kuliglig" version or tricycle, it was better on floods since the engine was actually waist high. Terminals of Tricycle are mostly flooded in Manila, above the knee flood.

#37 ·
Astig!

http://lh6.ggpht.com/-0NSfysrOFVo/U...vWA/s1600/Campagna-T-Rex-16S-1%255B2%255D.jpg

http://lh4.ggpht.com/-jFTtZEyUgMM/U...hA/s1600/Campagna-T-Rex-16S-11%255B3%255D.jpg

http://lh6.ggpht.com/-OyBTL2sNnAc/U...3SA/s1600/Campagna-T-Rex-16S-3%255B3%255D.jpg

http://lh4.ggpht.com/-cp2l7-zsLGE/U...QW0/s1600/Campagna-T-Rex-16S-4%255B2%255D.jpg

http://lh3.ggpht.com/-tWQqShg_yws/U...5OU/s1600/Campagna-T-Rex-16S-9%255B2%255D.jpg

BMW Inline-6 Powered T-REX 16S 3-Wheeler for Those Who Are Afraid of Motorcycles

WEDNESDAY, MARCH 13, 2013

Campagna Motors, a Canadian manufacturer that specializes in three-wheelers, is launching a new model powered by a BMW motorcycle engine. Called the T-REX 16S, it joins Campagna's other three-wheelers, the Kawasaki-powered T-REX 14R and T-REX 14RR and V13R which has a Harley-Davidson engine.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct...K3JQ4Ox9_LfQWFCx-PYxSD3g&ust=1383048447646428

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.