SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Bikes and Bicycling

149K views 648 replies 70 participants last post by  bucketofthoughts 
#1 ·
I'm pretty surprised that the Philippine Forums does not have a dedicated thread on the concepts of bicycles and cycling. I mean, bike-to-work and bike sharing are popular movements that are spreading around the world, yet I sense that the Philippines has not yet fully caught on with the bicycling culture.

On this thread, the following topics can be discussed:

- Biking basics (helmets, safe speeds)
- Bike infrastructure (bike lanes, specialized bike traffic lights, bike boulevards)
- Cycling programs (bike-to-work, bike sharing)
- Biking and Public Transportation (bikes on trains, buses)
- Other cycling issues (bike incidents, bike storage, lockers)

Let me start with what I believe can work for Manila, Cebu, and other tourist destinations in the Philippines: bike sharing. I'll illustrate what it is in pictures...

DSC00748 by anthonynachor, on Flickr

I believe that bike racks and lockers can also be placed on sidewalks, on buses (as foldable bike racks), and inside the paid area of LRT and MRT stations and near platforms of PNR stations and bus terminals.

DSC09470 by anthonynachor, on Flickr

DSC07836 by anthonynachor, on Flickr

DSC04935 by anthonynachor, on Flickr

And by the way, I could also suggest putting bike lanes and bike-only roadways to allow cyclists to get around cities and attractions.

DSC06770 by anthonynachor, on Flickr

I'm looking forward to seeing how this discussion will go! And by the way, this is my gift to you to celebrate my first anniversary here at SSC.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
The Wonders of Folding Bikes

16", 18", and 20" folding bikes are allowed on the LRT 1, LRT 2, and the MRT 3.

So going bi-modal, or multi-modal, is not an issue with this type of bike.

Do note, that folding bikes do not handle like regular 26" and up bikes. They need a bit of getting used to but... they can be paddled fast despite its size.

Confused? Click here and here for info.

MRT now allows folding bikes.

Tips 1: A commuter folding bike needs a fender, a back reflector, wheel reflectors, and a front reflector, or their equivalent, like water proof blinkers.

Tip 2: Instead of carrying everything on your back, why not install a back rack and buy a pannier?

Tip 3: If your office does not have a shower, use wet wipes and baby powder to freshen up. A sponge bath + scented alcohol + baby powder also works.

PS: Currently, I am shopping for my first folding bike.

#4 ·
I worked in Hawaii before and I had an officemate who biked to work everyday. The guy stank like hell, man I hated how that guy smelled.

Anyway, bikes are good for cold countries, but what about here in the Philippines where it is not only hot but also humid? The only way for bike riding to work is to provide for shower facilities in offices, or unless you're a construction worker.

#8 ·
Actually, shower facilities located close or next to bike parking areas would be a fantastic idea. Here in my region, we have such facilities at some bike rental shops and storage facilities where workers can drop their bikes off and take a shower prior to work (See examples here). Alternatively, placing them inside a secure bike parking area (members and renters welcome) would be a good alternative for tourists who want to unwind after a day of cycling around, and such bike stations provide more than just parking; those also offer valet parking, bike maintenance, and various biking events. Here's an example

#5 ·
I got one regular size(26") bike for my everyday use,do errands..planning on buying a folding bike to replace my old bike.

#9 ·
Folding bikes are now a popular option here in the US, not only because you can board them on buses or trains which have bike restrictions during rush hours, but you can also have it custom built to your specs and needs... And by the way, it may look a bit bulky when you haul it in your backpack, but the portability makes commuting much easier. That can be implemented for LRT, MRT, and PNR during rush hours...

#15 ·
Is highway for you = avenues like Abad Santos?

If so, sanay na ako sa mga ganyang kalsada, I biked through Abad Santos nung bata pa ako. :D

Yes, tama ka. Mga long time bikers na nga siguro mga yun.

To all:

Question: If sa rightmost lane ka lang naman mag bike, sa gitna nun at hindi sa pinaka gilid nun para iwas gitgit, hindi ba relatively safe ka dun, save for kaskaserong jeep, bus, at uv express?

#21 ·
Base sa mga nakausap ko tungkol sa issue ng bike commute they tell me:

On top of the other issues you have to contend with, kelangan mo din ng paraan para malinis gulong ng bike mo bago mo ito ipasok sa office mo. Mud, feces, and other road nasties might be clinging to your tire and it might foul up your office.

#23 ·
Those can indeed be huge concerns. A suggestion: bike stations and lockers that will offer bike cleaning, repair, and maintenance services (on top of typical bike storage). I could also look into bike lockers (with e-card technology) that will allow bikes to be stored and have cleaning facilities right next to it.

#32 ·
Di ba yan sa Cycle Art o Global Craze sa Quiapo??? hehehe Spyder helmet,Fox,MOB,La Bici helmets ang alam ko na mura lang.

Btw
The most popular brand of folding bike is the Brompton from UK,next is the Dahon(US/Taiwan) and the Tern from taiwan. China -made brand like Peerless is now in the Philippines offering at a much lower price.

#37 ·
I am torn between a firebird and a vitesse. :nuts: :nuts:

Firebird (Peerless) with the bike rack at fenders at plastic shim = around P19,000+; weighs about 11kg

a Vitesse (Dahon) costs about P20,950 pero may bike rack at fenders na; weighs about 12 kg.

Peerless has better components, as a general rule.

Dahon has the 3 year frame warranty and 1 year on the parts and service; normally a BIG plus for me.

Firebird is stabler at speeds past 27kmh after modifications (bull horn /drop bar included); I need a commuter but, knowing myself, I'd soon want a fast bike in the future.

Sus me... alin sa dalawa ang bibilhin ko :nuts: :nuts:

O well, I have until Mid November to early December to make up my mind.

#34 ·
P50k yata pinakamura,meron pa nasa P100k petot :D....yung iba pag naggo-grocery tinitiklop muna nila para madala nila sa loob ng supermarket.Iwas nakaw.
Dahon at Tern na entry level ang can afford ko..
Yung Dahon Vector at Tern Verge ang mahal,nasa P50k

#38 ·
Oo hindi practikal ang Brompton, KUNG hindi mo itatago na B (nickname ng brand) nga ito. IMHO, once maitago mo ang fact na B nga siya then the risk of getting bike napped, or agaw bike, decreases.

I think this is also true for any above P10,000 bike out there.

BUT HEY, if folder gamit mo then just check it in sa baggage counter.

#42 ·
:lol: :lol:

Anyways, 300 is reasonable na for a helmet ha.

Though matatakot akong gumamit nyan, medyo safety freak kasi ako minsan. So I'd probably go the mountain bike helmet route, sana lang hindi ako mag super OC at magka urge na bumili ng super expensive helment :nuts:

#43 ·
Be careful lang when it comes to cheap helmets ha. It's like you're paying for insurance, in the unlikely event (knock on wood) that you encounter an accident. Mahirap makahanap ngayon ng second-hand na utak (in good working condition) :lol:

Seems there's a community of folding bike users on FB. Searched for it and came up with "United Folding Bikers" and "Brompton Club of the Philippines" (well, since we have Bs in the discussion).

Ang PNR ba pumapayag na rin magpaload ng folding bicycles?

#44 ·
Then there is Tiklop Society of the Philippines also sa FB. active sila kada Lingo may 4 o 3 ata silang rides.

Agree ako Re: Helmet.

Re: PNR hindi po ako sure pero nakikita ko nang hindi ka pwede mag dala ng foldie pag mga 4pm to 6pm trips nila since "corned beef" ang sikip ng mga schedules na yun.

#46 ·
^I wanna attend one of their GAs para makita ko at ma try ko din yung iba pang bikes na hindi ko pa na try at nakita.

Storm 1 and 2, hindi ko pa nakikita at na-try. Pero parang ayaw ko siyang makita din at ma try considering aabot din ako ng 10K+ sa upgrades at replacement ng mga masisirang parts. Tapos balita ko PAWIS FOLD din ito.

#49 ·
FOD:

Sure... but also consider health issues as well. Remember that there will always be health-conscious people in the Philippine that will advocate for this cause, and I want them to truly make cycling, not just as a worthwhile experience, but also an alternate way to tour Manila's sights and attractions. We might even lobby for bike-only pathways that allow bikes and pedestrians to use them right next to our waterways... perhaps we can combine cleaning up the Pasig River with that project to encourage even more people to work and beautify the metropolis even further.
This I like, mas madaling maki pag tie up na ngayon sa mga ganyang cause. Also, if waterways lang pala ang covered, mas madaling gawin siguro.

However, as a business model, it boils down to numbers eh. So unless may feasibility study tayong paguusapan saying na profitable ang model, we can only assume na, as of the moment, hindi pa ganung kadami ang potential customers mo (conservative view).

Perhaps we need to enhance our driving lessons to involve all of those... and to finally enforce stop signs at all times, not just when it's convenient. We need to model our traffic laws similar to those here in the US somehow. Kailangan talaga ng driver discipline para lumuwag ang ating mga kalsada sa atin.
Yan ang isa sa mahirap dito, traffic enforcement. :(

If enforced lang naman kasi yan ng maayos edi wala na tayong problem :(

Correct... the foldable bike can be stored at work when not in use, and it can be securely stored in a large storage locker (just like at a gym) that can be retrieved when you're done. And yes, those cargo bikes look HUGE, but those can do a lot of things that it can be used as a mini-truck to carry boxes.
I see cargo bikes as an alternate way of selling food stuffs here in the Philippines, well naka bike naman talaga ang iba sa kanila at naka kariton.

Anyways, If you replace cargo with passengers then mayhap its a good way to enjoy biking with the kids, no need to hire sitters :D

Bike safety should be provided, not just by bike shops and bike-related groups, but also by the MMDA as they manage Manila's roads, the various tourism offices in the provinces, and other related agencies that will amount to greater awareness of drivers looking out for cyclists, cyclists looking out for pedestrians, and everything else in between. As for bike tourism, that would be a great option too... bike rentals would be great for this purpose, and I believe cycling tourism will provide a huge boon to tourism for the smaller communities in the country. An issue, though: will our small boats (e.g. bangka) be able to accommodate bikes if they will be carried over to a small island?
Re: Bankas, of course, pero folders lang. The full sized ones needs a rack in order to SAFELY transport them on the small boats.

Well, MMDA is not doing anything about it. Considering that most biker commuters are skilled, unskilled, and blue collars, mayhap the MMDA does not want to bother them?

Re: Bike tourism: Yeah, I miss the days when I used to bike in Luneta and PICC. Kaso, madami na talagang halang ang bituka eh. Naalala ko before may nagnakaw ng bike sa rental eh.

Re: Secured bike racks

NOW that is what I call secured. That is , until the "bakal" boys, magnanakaw ng bakal, breaks it up and steals the racks. :(

These bakal boys are very efficient in "appropriating" metals, from monuments to lamp posts.

And by the way, you power the bike, making it more than just a recreational vehicle, but it also allows you to exercise and stay healthy.
One of the reasons I wanna bike commute.

Re: Firebird

I have made up my mind, I'll buy the dang bird. :)

It meets all my needs and wants, without going over budget.

I think the point is this: quality over costs. Yes, a helmet is definitely a piece of equipment designed for safety, and it's ok to spend a bit more over a cheaply-built helmet. The important thing is that it has already gone through safety tests to ensure that when you're involved in an accident, you'll remain relatively safe.
Well quality over cost is not always true. Sometimes, quality can be had for lower costs. Thing is, where to find it, and what is it?

I have heard that a reasonably priced wallmart bike helmet has the same crash rating as those being peddled for an arm and a leg, though they look but ugly and may be uncomfortable.

The policy has to be this, and it should be based on common sense:

Bikes are generally not allowed on crowded trains between 6:30 and 9:30am, and 3:30 and 7:30pm weekdays. Instead, those can be boarded on less crowded trains or at the rear portions of trains where cyclists can be more comfortable with their bikes. All other times, bikes are allowed on board except for like the first car (unless there will be a special car dedicated to carrying bikes on board).
Agreed.

Go for it! It'll be helpful for you to attend such rides to see how you can ride a bike safely around a crowded metropolis.
Although, all what I need will only present itself after logging a lot of miles on the bike, I'd still attend it to get a glimpse at what I need.