SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Manchester Victoria Station

2M views 8K replies 446 participants last post by  Tony_H1 
#1 ·
A hidden jewel in Manchester's transport arsenal, if only a bit of money was spent on it, it would mean Manchester having 2 world class Rail gateways, with Piccadilly Being the ultra modern one and Victoria being it's classy Sister.

Its a crying shame whats happened to Victoria, its dark, dingy, is only served by crappy cattle wagons, and has no shops whats so ever.

If only the council and the train companies would step in to clean up the place and give it the attention her achitects envisaged,

Get it sorted, its closer to The City Centre then Piccadilly and would be a even classier station.

#2,272 · (Edited)
After finishing counting all the dollar I was a little bored so went on a bit of an explore.

A few photos!

All peaceful at 3am

The doomed roof in its final days

Work progressing well on the new Northern offices above the Pumpkin Cafe. I didnt know but apparently the offices on the front near the current station toilets will be turned in to shops with our mangers moving up here.

View from the office window, the dome is to the left

The rear of the dome and my flash, woops!

Back down to work, platforms 3 and 4 and the station staff mess room sky lights

I would of took more in the main station building but its bloody scary wondering around that place on your own in the dark! The lift at the othe end from the former Network rail reception was going up and down and by its self with a haunting voice echoing down the corridors and the doors opening and closing sounding like a screaming deamon lol. Needless to say unfortunately they are putting up extra doors all over the place so this could be the last time any of staff can sneak in the back way. We also went down to the river below the station, the roar was immense!

#2,275 ·
Yeah Watcher, thats what I was thinking too!

Its not too bad how ever, in the middle of each of those removable plates is a circular set of bolts about 4 or 5 ft in diameter, if anyone is walking past the car park there are a load of them sat outside the front waiting for time.

Yes JS I believe the bodies have all been removed from they bays now but even so, I still ran from one end of the main building to the other!!

#2,282 · (Edited)
Here's four shots in reverse order of the Southbound approach to Cheetham Hill Road overbridge, with a glimpse of the works for the future Metrolink alignment through the previously abandoned and blocked arch(es). I don't think it can be seen from any other angle at present :-

:cheers:

#2,285 ·
When I used to work in Manchester upto 6 years ago, I used to take the train to/from Victoria. Then, I used to wonder if part of the MEN Arena multistorey could be used as a box tunnel for additional lines and/or platforms for Victoria. My restricted view from the stairwell of the overcrowded Pacers led me to believe that the lower ground level of the multistorey was roughly in line with the then existing lines in Victoria.

Since then the new development on the opposite side of Cheetham Hill Road may have blocked the route for such new lines to rejoin the lines heading east out of Victoria.

Pipe dream at the time, maybe?

#2,287 · (Edited)
Very interesting shots there Johnny, looks like the first section of slab has been layed already just beyond the bridge on the Vic side, woop!

Mews, the portal is coming down but not the wall, that is staying along with the soldiers gate entrance.

Ashton, before my Dad retired he worked for the company that did the steel work for the arena, according to him directly below the arena floor are the dressing rooms an other basement storage areas, so no space to build more lines beyond the wall on 6, also i Believe JD Williams also have a basement area. The approaches to the space is all still clear though, with that new building on the other side of the river.

Oh one last thing, apparently the space they are using as construction area on the fish dock is not big enough. According to the site security man, they will soon move the gate to the current carpark entrance and use the full car park as a site compound. We are being sent to the NCP as no further access will be available. He said its so they have room to store the steel for the roof :)

#2,289 ·
Ashton, before my Dad retired he worked for the company that did the steel work for the arena, according to him directly below the arena floor are the dressing rooms an other basement storage areas, so no space to build more lines beyond the wall on 6, also i Believe JD Williams also have a basement area. The approaches to the space is all still clear though, with that new building on the other side of the river.
Thanks for the information Tony. I always assumed the car park went all the way through.

#2,294 ·
Great shot!

They have been filling what seems like every knook and cranny with Concrete these last few nights, lots more work on Platform 3 support foundations too, they had all the pipes running across the concourse again last night, also the foundations are finished in the area in front of the ticket office

In regards to the orange things, as far as I could tell when I walked past before they are bags of something, maybe material for the pointing up of the rear of the now exposed main building :)

#2,302 ·
Im not sure why the hole on the site of platform A is so deep but it might just be to do with getting down to something solid for the supports to sit on? Does look a bit like they are thinking of sending the Metro underground?! :D

They are still trying to sort us all out with parking for now, so I guess as soon as the carpark under Cheetham Hill Road bridge is closed they can start bringing the steel in. They already half demolished the wooden fence in preparation for taking over the full car park.

#2,304 ·
ooooo, Im wondering if that is a platform base or track base? I guess we will find out soon!

A quick one from me, the aforementioned hole 2

The digger I mentioned had maneuvered to the other hole. They were working on the lift shaft area today and laying alot more rebar, also on the station roof supports they were casting the one that will bring them round the corner today, I would say about 5 more to do.