daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > Classic Architecture

Classic Architecture Discussions on heritage buildings, monuments and landmarks.



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old August 11th, 2013, 05:20 PM   #81
The-s
Moderator
 
The-s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 10,333
Likes (Received): 6410

Houston

Built in 2005 and nearly 20,000 square feet, with Classical Moorish Architecture...








See more, Here.
The-s no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 5th, 2013, 10:47 PM   #82
The-s
Moderator
 
The-s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 10,333
Likes (Received): 6410

Rabat, Morocco



Mausoleum of Mohammed V
Built in Classical Moorish Architecture, With Typical Moroccan Green tilts.

image hosted on flickr

Mausoleum of Mohammed V by Patrick Costello, In Flickr

The-s no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2013, 01:51 AM   #83
datinti
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 153
Likes (Received): 96

Villa di Sammezzano, near Florence, Italy
A wonderful example of neo-moorish architecture, quite unique in Italy. The Villa, once a 5 star hotel, is now empty and abandoned, in search of a new destination. A SHAME!!



datinti no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2013, 01:55 AM   #84
The-s
Moderator
 
The-s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 10,333
Likes (Received): 6410

What i like the most in this building is this hall :

Quote:
Originally Posted by datinti View Post
That's what i call Moorish architecture... Elegant !
The-s no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2013, 01:59 AM   #85
datinti
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 153
Likes (Received): 96

Rocchetta Mattei, Riola di Vergato, near Bologna-ITALY
Another example from Italy, this bizarre, yet beautiful castle built by Count Mattei in the XIX xentury, after a long period of decay is finally going to be restored to its former glory.



datinti no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2013, 02:01 AM   #86
datinti
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 153
Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-s View Post
What i like the most in this building is this hall :



That's what i call Moorish architecture... Elegant !
Yes, it is quite extraordinary, isnt'it? In fact it is more insipred by moghul (indian) architecture while, for example, the architecture of Rocchetta Mattei was clearly inspired by the moroccan-andalusian arab architecture
datinti no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2013, 02:08 AM   #87
datinti
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 153
Likes (Received): 96

PALERMO, Cappella Palatina.
A fabulous example of original moorish art mixed up with bizantine mosaics and normans architecture. A unique mix typical of medieval Sicily that gave birth to some extraordinary monuments...

image hosted on flickr
__________________

ST_dasa liked this post
datinti no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2013, 02:12 AM   #88
datinti
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 153
Likes (Received): 96

PALERMO, San Giovanni degli Eremiti




PALERMO, San Cataldo


datinti no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2013, 02:13 AM   #89
The-s
Moderator
 
The-s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 10,333
Likes (Received): 6410

Quote:
Originally Posted by datinti View Post
Yes, it is quite extraordinary, isnt'it? In fact it is more insipred by moghul (indian) architecture while, for example, the architecture of Rocchetta Mattei was clearly inspired by the moroccan-andalusian arab architecture
Yes it's beautiful,

In every Neo-Moorish buildings we can see a mixture of many styles (Ottoman, Moghul...) Sometimes it's quite beautiful but some buildings are just kitschy lol.

Look at the roof of the caste in Rocchetta Mattei, we can clearly see the mixture there.
The-s no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2013, 02:14 AM   #90
The-s
Moderator
 
The-s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 10,333
Likes (Received): 6410

Datini, the two last place that you posted aren't Moorish... Islamic Art

This post will help you.
The-s no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2013, 02:20 AM   #91
datinti
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 153
Likes (Received): 96

Hotel Excelsior, VENICE
Example of neo-moorish architecture, built in the XIX century



[IMG]http://t2.************/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTrSCZPSp_j8H16TIGgVzMclLbO-3l4KyToXRe49LJBuFJ-5oR1CA[/IMG]
datinti no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2013, 02:26 AM   #92
6y 4 ever
Registered User
 
6y 4 ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: casablanca,morocco
Posts: 1,388
Likes (Received): 41

HASSAN 2 MOSQUE - CASABLANCA


image hosted on flickr

LINK

image hosted on flickr

LINK

image hosted on flickr

LINK


LINK


LINK


LINK

image hosted on flickr

LINK

image hosted on flickr

LINK

image hosted on flickr

LINK
__________________
......
6y 4 ever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2013, 02:27 AM   #93
datinti
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 153
Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-s View Post
Datini, the two last place that you posted aren't Moorish... Islamic Art

This post will help you.
Inside the Cappella Palatina you can see a ceiling with muqarnas, which is typical of moorish architecture...yes I agree, the last two are more islamic than moorish, in fact these two buildings were influenced by the fatimid architecture in Cairo...
datinti no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2013, 02:32 AM   #94
datinti
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 153
Likes (Received): 96

[QUOTE=The-s;106972670]Datini, the two last place that you posted aren't Moorish... Islamic Art

This post will help you.[/QUOT

In neo-moorish buldings, especially the XIXcentury ones built in Europe, when this style was very popular, sometimes it's difficult to distinguish exactly where the moorish starts...and the islamic takes over! Some buildings are pure moorish, others are an exotic mix and match of arab-oriental styles. In the Excelsior Hotel, for example you have the horseshoe arches and the courtyard clearly inspired by the Alhambra, but then you have two cairo-style minarets!
datinti no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2013, 02:35 AM   #95
The-s
Moderator
 
The-s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 10,333
Likes (Received): 6410

Quote:
Originally Posted by datinti View Post
Inside the Cappella Palatina you can see a ceiling with muqarnas, which is typical of moorish architecture...yes I agree, the last two are more islamic than moorish, in fact these two buildings were influenced by the fatimid architecture in Cairo...
Muqarnas aren't typically Moorish, you can find it in every Islamic styles.

Thanks for the share btw !
The-s no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2013, 02:38 AM   #96
The-s
Moderator
 
The-s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 10,333
Likes (Received): 6410

Quote:
Originally Posted by datinti View Post
In neo-moorish buldings, especially the XIXcentury ones built in Europe, when this style was very popular, sometimes it's difficult to distinguish exactly where the moorish starts...and the islamic takes over! Some buildings are pure moorish, others are an exotic mix and match of arab-oriental styles. In the Excelsior Hotel, for example you have the horseshoe arches and the courtyard clearly inspired by the Alhambra, but then you have two cairo-style minarets!
That's why i prefer the classical Moorish architecture than the Neo-Moorish mixed with others styles.
The-s no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2013, 02:48 AM   #97
datinti
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 153
Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-s View Post
Muqarnas aren't typically Moorish, you can find it in every Islamic styles.

Thanks for the share btw !
Thanks for the clarifications...I know that Maghreb and Andalusia especially are the birthplace of this style...with Palermo I just wanted to shift the focus a bit on some other interesting mix of styles...I guess I went a little bit off the track;
datinti no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2013, 02:53 AM   #98
datinti
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 153
Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-s View Post
That's why i prefer the classical Moorish architecture than the Neo-Moorish mixed with others styles.
Well, sometimes Neo-Moorish is quite fascinating, it exudes exoticism and fantasy, a deconstruction and recombination of elements according to a whole series of new rules, tastes and culture. In that respect I much prefere the XIX century ones than the contemporary revival like the one of the Hassan II Mosque in Casablanca, spectacular yes, but cold as ice!
datinti no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2013, 02:56 AM   #99
The-s
Moderator
 
The-s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 10,333
Likes (Received): 6410

Quote:
Originally Posted by datinti View Post
Thanks for the clarifications...I know that Maghreb and Andalusia especially are the birthplace of this style...with Palermo I just wanted to shift the focus a bit on some other interesting mix of styles...I guess I went a little bit off the track;
You're welcome any time !

I didn't know about the already existing Moorish architecture in Italy, if i knew it I would have posted here !
The-s no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2013, 03:02 AM   #100
The-s
Moderator
 
The-s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 10,333
Likes (Received): 6410

Quote:
Originally Posted by datinti View Post
Well, sometimes Neo-Moorish is quite fascinating, it exudes exoticism and fantasy, a deconstruction and recombination of elements according to a whole series of new rules, tastes and culture. In that respect I much prefere the XIX century ones than the contemporary revival like the one of the Hassan II Mosque in Casablanca, spectacular yes, but cold as ice!
Well there's plenty of people who like the Hassan II mosque, i guess it's a matter of taste.

here's a neo-moorish one, but build in 1913 :


beautiful !
__________________

hercre liked this post
The-s no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
architecture

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu