daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 19th, 2015, 06:32 PM   #361
-Valentino-
Je me Souviens

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Not all people in the Netherlands are Dutch.
A person who lives in the Netherlands is Dutch. A person who lives in the UK is British, a person who lives in Canada is Canadian. What do you mean?
  • John 13:34-35 | John 8:7 | John 11:25-26 | John 14:6 | John 3:16-18 | Matthew 5:11 | Matthew 5:6
-Valentino- no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 19th, 2015, 06:33 PM   #362
-Valentino-
Je me Souviens

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I just think a different color to separate direction of traffic is a better option. That is all. It is like my preference for graphic drawing signs of road rules abundantly in use in Europe instead of US-style written signs. I think drivers react better to image patterns than having to read a written message when they have just 1-2 seconds to grab the message before distraction or avoidance quicks in.

This has nothing to do with intelligence, character or attributes of people living in a place or other.

Why do forumers on this sub-section have always to make the slightest disagreement into a mud fight and take diverging opinions on infrastructure as insults?

It's so annoying.

Some people prefer different colors, others prefer same colors, some thing country A, B or C should change their road signaling. We can all live with that, but the way some long-time forumers react give me the impression they take it as if people were suggesting sending an armed battalion to repaint road lanes at gunpoint.
Agree!!! That's what I said in previous threads too
  • John 13:34-35 | John 8:7 | John 11:25-26 | John 14:6 | John 3:16-18 | Matthew 5:11 | Matthew 5:6
-Valentino- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2015, 06:39 PM   #363
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1562

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Valentino- View Post
A person who lives in the Netherlands is Dutch. A person who lives in the UK is British, a person who lives in Canada is Canadian. What do you mean?
I am both Dutch and British but live in Austria. You see what I mean? People emigrate.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2015, 07:08 PM   #364
suburbicide

Likes (Received): 141

Quote:
All lanes were painted white prior to the 70s. Not sure in Canada though.
sigh...
suburbicide no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2015, 08:06 PM   #365
Penn's Woods
Um...um...um...

Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
Actually, in the European Union (if I understand correctly), a citizen of one member state can live in any other as long as he or she wants without having to change citizenship. (Assuming they have a job and other such requirements.) May not even be allowed to change citizenship. So I'm sure there are plenty of people living permanently in the Netherlands who are not Dutch either by background or citizenship and wouldn't consider themselves Dutch.

You may very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment.
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2015, 08:10 PM   #366
Road_UK
BANNED

I'm definitely not Austrian, even though God did say that if one person has sexual intercourse they become the same.
Old February 19th, 2015, 08:10 PM   #367
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 837

Quote:
This one beats them all. Wow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Road_UK liked this post
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2015, 08:11 PM   #368
Road_UK
BANNED

What was it like being German for a while?
Old February 19th, 2015, 08:13 PM   #369
Penn's Woods
Um...um...um...

You could ask that one of any Austrian over 70.

EDIT. Um, any Austrian over 70 who was actually in Austria 70 years ago. As opposed to any aging Anglo-Dutch-Austrian ski freaks of your acquaintance who may have been there since the Innsbruck Olympics.

Road_UK, Kanadzie liked this post
Old February 19th, 2015, 08:19 PM   #370
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
You could ask that one of any Austrian over 70.

EDIT. Um, any Austrian over 70 who was actually in Austria 70 years ago. As opposed to any aging Anglo-Dutch-Austrian ski freaks of your acquaintance who may have been there since the Innsbruck Olympics.
Not me. I was still in the process of future-production at the time. We are going terribly off-topic but what else is there to say about these stinking dividing lines anyway apart from Canadian statements that they are super cool in North America.
Old February 19th, 2015, 08:20 PM   #371
MattiG

Likes (Received): 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Actually, in the European Union (if I understand correctly), a citizen of one member state can live in any other as long as he or she wants without having to change citizenship. (Assuming they have a job and other such requirements.) May not even be allowed to change citizenship. So I'm sure there are plenty of people living permanently in the Netherlands who are not Dutch either by background or citizenship and wouldn't consider themselves Dutch.
Even changing the citizenship does not necessarily hide your origin.

My late aunt emigrated to Sweden in the early 1950's, and lived for about 50 years as a citizen of Sweden. Even if almost all of her friends and business contacts were Swedish, she felt more a Finn than a Swede.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2015, 08:26 PM   #372
Penn's Woods
Um...um...um...

Well, now we're getting philosophical*, but I'd say your aunt, as a Swedish citizen, had a right to be considered "Swedish," either in general or for purposes of exercising the rights of a citizen, such as voting. And a right not to be. (And saying "anyone who lives in Canada is Canadian" sounds less strange to me than it may to Europeans, even if it's not technically true because some people living in Canada aren't, or aren't yet, Canadian citizens. Because Canada, like the U.S., is full of people who came from elsewhere with the intention of becoming Canadian or American, and would resent being told, "no, you're not a Canadian because you weren't born here.")

*And even more off-topic, but at this point it's a drop in the bucket.

Old February 19th, 2015, 08:43 PM   #373
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 2399

Another thread derailed...

Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2015, 08:45 PM   #374
Penn's Woods
Um...um...um...

I just went along for the ride. Or maybe "careened" along, since we're talking about a derailment.

(You have no idea how many times today I've controlled myself. )

Old February 19th, 2015, 08:48 PM   #375
Penn's Woods
Um...um...um...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Not me. I was still in the process of future-production at the time. We are going terribly off-topic but what else is there to say about these stinking dividing lines anyway apart from Canadian statements that they are super cool in North America.
Oh, those dividing lines. I thought you were talking about borders! It's hard to tell what thread you're on lately. But we've had plenty to say about these lines already, and long before Valentino was here.

Old Today, 02:54 AM   #376
solchante

Likes (Received): 1105

espewe liked this post
solchante no está en línea   Reply With Quote