daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Old August 16th, 2014, 04:54 PM   #11121
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 1255

Yeah, I never linger in someone's blind spot. That shit is lethal in NL, you gotta drive defensively.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 16th, 2014, 09:29 PM   #11122
Ni3lS
Mod

Likes (Received): 1303

I drove the N35 and A28/A32 on thursday.. On the N35 was hardly any traffic around 20:00, A28 at Zwolle (Chris' picture) is somehow always busy when I drive there. Traffic wasn't too bad on A20 (Rotterdam) on thursday, however the A1 at Deventer was jammed.

Please like my Facebook PAGE and check out my latest work :)
FLICKR: [2013] > London, Rotterdam, Pula, Krka, Dalmatia, Austria, Salzburg, Alps, Berlin, Dresden, Trier, Vienna, Bratislava, Munich, Ljubljana, Slovenia
[2014] > Vienna, Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Antwerp, Maastricht, Paris, Corrèze, Limoges, Paris(2)
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2014, 09:34 PM   #11123
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 3913

N35 is quite busy during the day (also off-peak) but not so much in the evening and the night. Most traffic on N35 originates in Zwolle, there isn't much through traffic, so traffic volumes decline substantially once the commuters and daytrippers are gone.

N35 is busy enough for twinning from Zwolle to Raalte, and Nijverdal to Wierden. There are plans to turn it into a 2x2, 100 km/h, controlled-access expressway, but most plans are rather vague. They will start on building the first stretch of four-lane divided around Wijthmen (pronounce that!) next year.

my clinched highways • highway pictures @ Flickr and Youtube
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2014, 04:04 PM   #11124
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A15, Botlek Bridge, Rotterdam

IMG_35335.jpg por Mark van der Meer, en Flickr

IMG_35329.jpg por Mark van der Meer, en Flickr

SRC_100, snowdog, EPA001 liked this post
Old August 18th, 2014, 01:26 AM   #11125
SRC_100

Likes (Received): 429

Looks like a huge overhead cranes
SRC_100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2014, 05:40 PM   #11126
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 5502

New car sales in Netherlands are keeping a downside trend and are projected to be only 369.000 vehicles in 2014. That would be lowest number in more than 40 years.

1999 was the record year for car sales, with 612.000 vehicles sold.

I wonder how much havoc this downturn is having on car dealerships. I bet many closed and many more are in peril, especially if one accounts for the fact cars got a lot more reliable and require less servicing and spare parts replacement than before.
Old August 18th, 2014, 05:50 PM   #11127
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Cars last longer and high cost to buy a new car is pushing many prospective buyers into the second-hand car market. You can buy a 3 year old car for 40% less, like I did. It's a no-brainer, the taxes on new cars are exorbitant and you write a large proportion of its value off in just a few years. As a new car owner, you are basically writing off taxes. That is also why so many new cars are small - they have lower 'BPM' (car purchase tax). The price difference between an A-class (small car) and B-class (small family car) is huge. In the Netherlands, a VW Golf is twice as expensive as a Hyundai i10 or a Kia Picanto.

To supply the demand for used cars, the import of used cars has pretty much doubled since 2005. Nearly 100,000 used cars were imported to the Netherlands in 2013.

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; August 18th, 2014 at 06:00 PM.
Old August 18th, 2014, 06:35 PM   #11128
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 35

Overall the BPM is disgraceful in Holland. Seriously inflated prices for cars.

I also have a feeling car parts prices are inflated too, I usually buy my parts from the UK or Germany, where after postage, they are often less than half the price than here.

Eg. drive shaft, 110 euros delivered from berlin. Instead of 200 here in Holland.
Wheel bearing 50 quid delivered from the UK, instead of 150+ euros in NL.

Last edited by snowdog; August 18th, 2014 at 06:58 PM.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2014, 12:52 AM   #11129
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 141

Thank God for Common Market, at least you can easily buy online from outside

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
To supply the demand for used cars, the import of used cars has pretty much doubled since 2005. Nearly 100,000 used cars were imported to the Netherlands in 2013.
This is not right... used car import is a poor country thing (OK I admit I have bought used cars in foreign countries too myself ) but a wealthy country like NL should have essentially negligible used car import. Clearly the tax regime is causing strange imbalances in the market and should be reformed. I mean what is happening, Belgians return their company car lease and the B plates come off and NL plates go on? (surely making a bad comparison between Dutch and Belgians should be enough to make the politicians angry enough to change tax system )
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2014, 01:47 AM   #11130
Surel

Likes (Received): 674

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
This is not right... used car import is a poor country thing (OK I admit I have bought used cars in foreign countries too myself ) but a wealthy country like NL should have essentially negligible used car import. Clearly the tax regime is causing strange imbalances in the market and should be reformed. I mean what is happening, Belgians return their company car lease and the B plates come off and NL plates go on? (surely making a bad comparison between Dutch and Belgians should be enough to make the politicians angry enough to change tax system )
Well, the Dutch economy is doing really poor job compared to the neighbors in the last 5 years.

Further on, you would need to concentrate on the difference of the price index evolution for different social classes of the society. Inflation varies considerably across income groups. Stagnant incomes, increasing unemployment and inflation hitting the low social classes, while the average inflation does not exist on paper... that's where it comes from.

If you need huge quantities of sold cars, you need huge quantities of people having enough income to buy those cars. The top layer does not need them.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2014, 02:17 PM   #11131
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It's mostly the new car market that is performing poorly. The used-car market is still going strong. There are 1.8 million used cars sold in the Netherlands every year, which means the used car market is more than 4 times bigger than the new car market.

Another thing that drives the new car sales down is that most safety improvements were made about 10 years ago, so there's not the same incentive to buy a new car for safety reasons than 10 or 15 years ago.

Old August 19th, 2014, 02:25 PM   #11132
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 5502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Another thing that drives the new car sales down is that most safety improvements were made about 10 years ago, so there's not the same incentive to buy a new car for safety reasons than 10 or 15 years ago.
A new batch of safety-relate innovations are coming though though: traction control, "all-enclosure" airbag systems, rear-end collision avoidance radar, holographic projections of controls/safety on windscreen.
Old August 19th, 2014, 03:43 PM   #11133
Autoputevi kao hobi

Likes (Received): 109

I think that is much better to buy for example car which is 3 years old,then a new car.Also one off topic question.
What car do you drive Chris ?

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands