daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 20th, 2008, 05:31 PM   #1
Classof2010

Likes (Received): 4

OKLAHOMA CITY | Devon Headquarters | 257m | 844ft | 52 fl | Com

New Devon World Headquarters tower located in Downtown OKC on the southern edge of the CBD. The tower will ultimately reach a final height of 850 feet (282 m), and will amass over 1,800,000 square feet. It is estimated at $750,000,000 and is designed by Pickard Chilton Architects.

The tower will become the tallest in Oklahoma (current tallest: 607 ft), and in OKC (current tallest: 500 ft). Construction began October 6, 2009 and will be completed in 2012.

Last edited by Classof2010; September 2nd, 2010 at 04:35 PM.
Classof2010 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links

Old August 20th, 2008, 05:36 PM   #2
HD
같같같같같같

Likes (Received): 128

looks quite promising. great height too
Old August 20th, 2008, 07:50 PM   #3
jbrown84

Likes (Received): 0

More renderings. I'll also point out that at 925', this will be taller than Dallas' tallest, Bank of America Plaza.

jbrown84 no está en línea  
Old August 20th, 2008, 08:02 PM   #4
NovaWolverine

Likes (Received): 3

Very, very nice. I wanna see more night shots with the skyline.
NovaWolverine no está en línea  
Old August 20th, 2008, 08:02 PM   #5
Assemblage23
bereinstimmend

Likes (Received): 2435

WOW, such a great design!

Congratulations.
Assemblage23 no está en línea  
Old August 20th, 2008, 08:04 PM   #6
backupcoolmen
BANNED

this is an amazing thing to be built in the heart of america
backupcoolmen no está en línea  
Old August 20th, 2008, 08:26 PM   #7
Rutger1991

Likes (Received): 18

Nice design!!!!
Old August 20th, 2008, 08:29 PM   #8
Dimension
I have class

Likes (Received): 19

whats the statues?
Dimension no está en línea  
Old August 20th, 2008, 08:31 PM   #9
Dale

Likes (Received): 1794

My Lord! over and above my wildest expectations. I would have been mightely impressed by 700 feet.
Dale no está en línea  
Old August 20th, 2008, 08:33 PM   #10
xlchris
Not much

Likes (Received): 141

I like it Very nice and classic.
Old August 20th, 2008, 09:34 PM   #11
MDguy
Balto

WOOOOW! OKC definently could use this! Will be the greatest modern tower in Oklahoma. Looks amazing! Tall as hell for OKC. congrats OKC
Old August 20th, 2008, 10:26 PM   #12
Hot Rod
Big City Enthusiast

Location: Vancouver, Osaka, Chicago, Chongqing, Seattle, and OKC
Likes (Received): 51

Thumbs up More complete renderings

courtesy of Doug L. (who has the OKC press kit)

Congrats to OKC!

Downtown Skyline

Interior Lobby

Dining Court

Park at Southwest Corner

Site Designs

lots of water integrated

Cross-section view

South Elevation

Last edited by Hot Rod; August 21st, 2008 at 01:56 AM.
Hot Rod no está en línea  
Old August 20th, 2008, 10:42 PM   #13
Dale

Likes (Received): 1794

Isn't their going to be a significant retail component ?
Dale no está en línea  
Old August 20th, 2008, 10:49 PM   #14
jbrown84

There's going to be retail, but I don't think I would call it significant. Not in a Time Warner Center sense. That kind of retail is "vision" for south of the Myriad Gardens fronting the new Boulevard that will replace I-40.
Old August 20th, 2008, 10:57 PM   #15
Trae

Likes (Received): 1

Can't say I'm not jealous by this. This is awesome for OKC!
Trae no está en línea  
Old August 20th, 2008, 11:12 PM   #16
jbrown84

Devon Energy (a company that most in OKC had no awareness of 7-8 years ago) has 1700 employees currently spread over downtown in 5 different buildings. This will consolidate them and allow for growth up to 3000 employees, which they expect to have by 2012 or soon after. They will be the sole tenant.

It includes a 10 story garage, meeting space, a six-story glass rotunda connecting it all, first-floor retail, and a park outside.

The rotunda is designed to fall right on the "Harvey Axis", a line that is being used as a focal point for redevelopment of a massive blighted area south of downtown. It will connect the OKC National Memorial to the Devon HQ, the Myriad Botanical Gardens, a new iconic central park, and the Oklahoma River on the south end.
Old August 20th, 2008, 11:37 PM   #17
YeahWho

Likes (Received): 15

Any retail spaces at the podium, like a mall? I'm hoping they include a high-end mall at the podium just like the Petronas Towers in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. That way, it will draw more crowds.
YeahWho no está en línea  
Old August 20th, 2008, 11:38 PM   #18
Hoogfriesland

Likes (Received): 634

Looks great! Something like this is what the Oklahoma skyline need.
Hoogfriesland no está en línea  
Old August 21st, 2008, 01:27 AM   #19
jbrown84

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeahWho View Post
Any retail spaces at the podium, like a mall? I'm hoping they include a high-end mall at the podium just like the Petronas Towers in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. That way, it will draw more crowds.
There will be retail on the first two levels of the "podium".
Old August 21st, 2008, 01:55 AM   #20
Audiomuse
Civilization

Likes (Received): 21

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/finan.../D92M6OP00.htm

Devon plans 925-foot skyscraper in Oklahoma City

Devon Energy Corp. will build a new headquarters in downtown Oklahoma City that includes a 54-story, 925-foot tall skyscraper that will be the tallest building in Oklahoma and cost upward of $750 million.

CEO Larry Nichols said the building, set to be completed in 2012, will house more than 2,200 employees initially with annual payroll of $265 million. Devon employees are now located in five buildings in the city.

Mayor Mick Cornett said it was by far the largest private construction project ever undertaken in Oklahoma City.

Nichols said Devon is growing, with over 40,000 natural gas and oil wells still to be drilled "and we're building on that everyday." Officials believe 3,000 employees will eventually work in the new building.

The company bills itself as the largest U.S.-based oil and gas producer and is 221st on the latest Fortune 500 list with $12.1 billion in revenue.

The skyscraper will eclipse the 52-story Bank of Oklahoma Tower in Tulsa. Oklahoma City's tallest building is now the 36-story Chase Tower.

Nichols said the project shows the company's commitment to the city, and the complex is being designed to blend in with the city's existing architecture and now overpower it.

As to the future of Devon, Nichols said every large company he is aware of being sold either had problems or wanted to be sold.

"I can assure you we have no problems and we don't want to be bought," he said.

Adjacent to the 1.9 million square-foot building will be a glass rotunda that will be 100 feet tall and 100 feet in diameter, where employees will enter the building. Nearby will be a large conference center and park area.

The project is being managed by Hines, which has offices in 16 countries, and Pickard Chilton is the lead architect. Other companies involved in the development include Glensler, Kendall Heaton Associates and Cushman Wakefield Co.

Jon Pickard, one of the founders of Pickard Chilton, said the skyscraper will be illuminated and a large urban park nearby will include fountains, a green space, a pavilion and a reflective pool.

He said the six-level glass "knuckle," or rotunda, is the heart of the project's design, which he said is an attempt to "create a beacon" in the center of the city.

The peak construction work force for the project is estimated at 500 employees. The project received unanimous approval of the Oklahoma City Urban Renewal Authority.

"I think today we are seeing what in the future will be the heart of our city. This is a magnificent, magnificent building," said Stanton Young, chairman of the authority

According to a database compiled by the Chicago-based Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat the proposed tower would be the 20th tallest building in the United States as of today. The only cities with taller buildings would be Chicago, New York, Atlanta, Los Angeles, Houston, Philadelphia, Cleveland and Seattle.

It would also be the 54th tallest building in the world. However, dozens of taller buildings have been proposed and not yet built.

Officials said the Devon project will generate revenue to help develop the 17-acre Myriad Gardens area across the street.

Cornett said it will anchor the Core to Shore plan, referring to development of an area south of downtown to the Oklahoma River which is expected to pick up after Interstate 40 is moved south of its current location.

Tags
oklahoma city