search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 20th, 2008, 08:30 PM   #101
Sukino

Likes (Received): 1566

This looks like an ecological and possibly an investment disaster in the making.
Sukino no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 20th, 2008, 08:35 PM   #102
TU 'cane
Registered User.

Likes (Received): 111

It seems as if Dubai is trying to either outdo or get up to the same level as the rest of the world.

Principle 27: The burden of debt is as destructive to freedom as subjugation by conquest.
-28 Principles of Freedom

"Political correctness does not legislate tolerance; it only organizes hatred."
-Jacques Barzun
TU 'cane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 11:22 AM   #103
HomeLover

Likes (Received): 0

Sales staff commission

Does any one know how much commission UAE property developers are paying there sales staff? Or if you know where I can find this info?
HomeLover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2008, 03:15 AM   #104
Shezan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 593

a Vegas in Dubai....not bad
Shezan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2008, 08:02 AM   #105
Infrasuper Planet
Infrasuper Planet

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TU 'cane View Post
It seems as if Dubai is trying to either outdo or get up to the same level as the rest of the world.
Actually they are not playing catch up. In fact, Dubai is trying to get ahead of the world by setting new standards, breaking the limits of technology and aiming to be the best city in the world.

Aerials are Beyond Ones Mind to Imagine.
We are watching the Future Rise from the depth of the Earth and into the Heavens ever Higher
Infrasuper Planet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2008, 08:42 PM   #106
Hed_Kandi
Registered Usurper

Likes (Received): 12410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukino View Post
This looks like an ecological and possibly an investment disaster in the making.
Have you seen pictures of the site?

There's nothing but sand for miles.

After this development is completed there will be thousands of trees where there were none before.

I'd say its an ecological miracle in the making.
Hed_Kandi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2008, 10:38 PM   #107
Alle

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hed_Kandi View Post
Have you seen pictures of the site?

There's nothing but sand for miles.

After this development is completed there will be thousands of trees where there were none before.

I'd say its an ecological miracle in the making.
Agreed, besides it looking much better.

The UAE has helped save a lot of the arabian flora and fauna, like the arabian leopard, oryx and more. They are not ignorant when it comes to the natural resources of the land.

Castles And Fortresses [Alpe Adria] [Bosnia]
Alle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 01:06 PM   #108
DrDan
Melburnaholic

Likes (Received): 7

I see they used footage of the MCG in Melbourne and Aussie Rules for their sport section - not sure if we'll end up seeing that!
Old March 24th, 2008, 02:58 AM   #109
delores

Likes (Received): 461

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukino View Post
It’s so ugly and ridiculous I really don't understand the need for it? Dubai really should not base its economy on a ridiculously themed place and rather create its own identity, Which in some way it already has. Building a fake Eiffel Tower plus all the other ' copies' of monuments will not make people flock to Dubai because there is naff version of a beautiful building there. Whoever thinks this will be a success is somewhat deluded. I hope it fails because it is an environmentally backwards development and shows the immaturity of the country of Dubai if it thinks theme parks are the only reason people want to go there.
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2008, 06:15 PM   #110
Monkey9000
£€$$ is more

Likes (Received): 338

It's an ecological disaster because of all the thousands of gallons of water that is requiired to keep the fauna alive. Consider the amount of energy is required to create this. Also, deserts are actually full of wildlife and plants, go out to any desert near Dubai and you will realise how alive it actually is. Sand does not equate to a lifeless environment.
Monkey9000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2008, 09:29 AM   #111
LoverOfDubai

Thank you Monkey9000. As a resident of a desert (Sonoran Desert) I have great respect for all deserts of the world. I hate it when people say that Dubai is smart to develop over the sand dunes to "remove that empty, ugly area." People need to see that the desert near Dubai is an extremely beautiful area.

I feel that the development is harming the area around the city, and I hope Dubai will expand the Dubai Desert Conservation Reserve to preserve this great asset. Hopefully Sheikh Mohammed will realize this before the development completely covers the desert and destroys something that they will never be able to bring back.
LoverOfDubai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2008, 01:56 AM   #112
Mulefisk

Likes (Received): 91

The only reason why I think this project is fantastic, is because I cant wait for all the dystopian, run-down Dubai pics i'm gonna be taking in 2030.

I mean seriously, a fake Eiffel-tower? Coupled with replicas of all the worlds most famous monuments? It's like building a museum with nothing but photographs of famous works of art and expect people to pay massive sums to visit.

Another good point is, since Dubai has decided to base its economy on tourism, how many people flock to visit architecture, areas or cities built in the 60's and 70's? Anything built in the period is usually written off as ugly, at least for the time being. In 30 years, people will most likely view Dubai in the same way. A tacky, horrible, plastic, ugly, fake place. Unless, of course, they manage to spend equally massive sums each year upgrading the entire place as they have building it.

Of course, I'm mainly talking about Dubailand and certain other places, but if this trend countues and other developers choose to follow the same path, it might turn out to be true for most of Dubai.
Mulefisk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2008, 04:03 AM   #113
vari k.
Kosova is ALBANIAN

its strangely cool..and weird...the project

But maybe they should have picked a better name for it.

www.urbania21.com/forum
vari k. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2008, 03:23 PM   #114
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

In fairness, only about 1/10th of the stuff in dubailand will be built. The whole thing is completely disorganised. Instead of the massive entertainment complex it was supposed to be, it has now become an excuse for developers to build sprawling developments in the desert.
A lot of you say, an ecological disaster, etc, but hardly any of it will see the light of day I think.
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2008, 05:22 PM   #115
Sukino

Likes (Received): 1566

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoverOfDubai View Post
Thank you Monkey9000. As a resident of a desert (Sonoran Desert) I have great respect for all deserts of the world. I hate it when people say that Dubai is smart to develop over the sand dunes to "remove that empty, ugly area." People need to see that the desert near Dubai is an extremely beautiful area.

I feel that the development is harming the area around the city, and I hope Dubai will expand the Dubai Desert Conservation Reserve to preserve this great asset. Hopefully Sheikh Mohammed will realize this before the development completely covers the desert and destroys something that they will never be able to bring back.
When people hear the word desert they imagine something like this, because that's the image they have been seeing on TV since their childhood.

Forestation is an important activity, especially given the high rate of desertification and deforestation in the world. However, this project will require enormous amounts of water, energy and will create a lot of pollution and waste.
Old March 29th, 2008, 07:13 PM   #116
skytrax
Big boss!

Likes (Received): 13770

oh my GOD!!! are the serious?!

Angolan Forum | Luanda pictures | my World Trip

~> SkyscraperCity Angola on Facebook <~
skytrax no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2008, 05:33 AM   #117
Koi

Likes (Received): 3

I think Dubailand is going to be a big financial loss. It is too big for the population (tourists included). All the hyped attractions, if built, will never make money. The government is literally giving away the land for free in return for these developers to come up with the scheme and deliver the construction of the attraction. Yes, Dubai will attract 15m tourists by 2020.....but Paris is already receiving around 40m+ tourists a year and Disneyland Paris is still struggling to make money.
Koi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 10:40 AM   #118
jpq21

This is basically America/Hollywood for the Middle East. I bet it will actually take away tourism from America. Six Flags, Dreamworks (what do you think the themes of the kids world and amusement park will be), the entire movie complex, film world, NASA (space world), the aviation world, dinosaur world (I wonder where they got that idea...).

Why were most of the people in that video white?

I call plagiarism from John Williams.

The space hotel looks sweet.

btw, actually going to universal studios in Hollywood would be sooooo much better than going to film world.
jpq21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2008, 07:11 AM   #119
zdaddy233

Likes (Received): 2

Simply the sheer size of this thing is astounding

Problem is, its really really tacky. Add the whole Bawadi complex, and all the other projects in Dubai, and consider where they are going to find the people to even keep these places financially afloat? Its all very very interesting
zdaddy233 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2008, 07:45 AM   #120
waccamatt
Gamecocks&Skyscrapers fan

Likes (Received): 181

The development looks cool, but Dubai is going to need 100 million visitors a year for all of these projects to be successful - there just isn't enough of a local population to support all of them.
waccamatt no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
dubai