#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
MLB

Minnesota Twins

3x Champion:
1924, 1987, 1991

Revised renders and plans for new Minnesota Twins baseball park

pics courtesy of thanks to Avian001

new LRT station on the right

Site plan, showing the entry plaza to be built over I-394, between the existing A & B Ramps:

http://www.ballparks.com/baseball/american/minbpk.htm

Tenant: Minnesota Twins (AL)
Opening: April 2010
Style: Open air
Surface: Grass
Capacity: 40,000 (baseball only)

Architect: HOK Sport (Kansas City) and Hammel, Green and Abrahamson Inc. (Minneapolis)
Construction: M.A. Mortenson Co. (Minneapolis)
Owner: Minnesota Ballpark Authority
Cost: $522 million
Public financing: Approximately $392 million from a 0.15 percent sales tax in Hennepin County
Private financing: $130 million from the Twins
Lease: 30 years

Location: In the Warehouse District, just north of Target Center in downtown Minneapolis. Left field (NE), 5th Street; 3rd base (NW), BN and Santa Fe Rail Road tracks & HERC Plant (Hennepin County Garbage Burner); 1st base (SW), 5th Street; right field (SE), 3rd Avenue & I-394.

Dimensions: Left field: 328 feet; left-center: 371 feet; center field: 402 feet; right-center: 371 feet; right field: 331 feet.

Fences: Undetermined.

http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/news...ent_id=1893042&vkey=pr_min&fext=.jsp&c_id=min

04/12/2007 12:00 AM ET
Twins-County ballpark design unveiled
Ballpark to provide one of baseball's most intimate settings

MINNEAPOLIS -- The design of the new Minnesota Twins-Hennepin County ballpark -- a cosmopolitan expression of Minnesota's natural beauty -- was officially presented to the Hennepin County Board today.

Also invited to the morning presentation at the Hennepin County Government Center were members of the Minneapolis City Council as well as members of the Minnesota Ballpark Authority, the agency that will own and oversee operations of the new ballpark.

"What a tremendous, long-awaited day this is for the Minnesota Twins and baseball fans across the Upper Midwest," said Jerry Bell, president of Twins Sports Inc. "Minnesota's new ballpark will be an inviting landmark and an intimate venue providing for a superior baseball experience for future generations of Twins fans."

"People have been waiting a long time to see tangible progress on this project, and today we reward them for their patience, said Hennepin County Commissioner Mike Opat. "This ballpark will not only be a great baseball venue. It will be a great public asset for Minnesota. The design shows that despite our challenges with this site, we will build one of the great urban ballparks in America."

"The Ballpark Authority is excited about working with the Minnesota Twins to create a dynamic new landmark," said Steve Cramer, chairman of the Minnesota Ballpark Authority. "This facility will be an outdoor baseball fan's dream and we believe it will serve as a catalyst to further development on the western edge of downtown."

The one-million-square-foot ballpark will have approximately 40,000 seats. Similar in size to PNC Park in Pittsburgh and AT&T Park in San Francisco, the new Twins ballpark will provide fans with fantastic, baseball-focused sightlines in an intimate setting.

Nestled on an eight-acre site next to the downtown Minneapolis Warehouse District, the ballpark will be an urban architectural icon. The site dictates the ballpark's lean physique, and the design's form follows the function of the events on the field. The seating bowl swathes the field; the exterior walls are shaped by the seating bowl; and a roof canopy spanning nearly the entire seating bowl crowns the ballpark.

"The new ballpark will reflect Minnesota's dynamic blend of urban sophistication and outdoor vitality," said Earl Santee, AIA, HOK Sport senior principal leading the architectural effort. "Minneapolis' downtown skyline will provide dazzling views beyond the outfield, creating a wonderful connection to the city."

The ballpark's exterior is a modern interpretation of the state's natural creations. Hearty, weather resistant, native Minnesotan limestone forms the mass of the ballpark's façade. Glass and metal details punctuate the limestone surface, creating a sophisticated composition.

Fissures, or gaps, in the stone enclosure of the ballpark will create unique viewing opportunities for fans both inside and outside the ballpark.

In addition to a modern façade, the ballpark will illuminate its mark on the urban skyline with distinct entry beacons. These prow-like icons are a direct reflection of the city's style at each of the ballpark's entry points.

"This project creates a new standard in urban integration," said Santee. "The ballpark connects with fans whether they arrive by foot, bike, bus, car, light rail or commuter rail."

Minnesota's new ballpark promises to be one of the most accessible sports facilities in all of American sport. The ballpark site sits at the convergence point of the Light Rail Transit (the existing Hiawatha Line and future lines such as the Central Corridor), the future Northstar commuter rail line, the Cedar Lake Bike Trail and Interstates 394 and I-94. Moreover, fans will take advantage of the more than 20,000 parking spots within a five-block radius of the ballpark.

The new ballpark strives to be one of Major League Baseball's most environmentally friendly ballparks as well, incorporating conservation, sustainability and energy efficiency into the design.

"A green ballpark was one thing hundreds upon hundreds of fans requested," said Rebecca Greco, AIA, HGA principal. "Because this is a ballpark for all of Minnesota, we placed a high priority on fan input. Minnesota's new ballpark will be a defining testament to a team, a state and its people."

HGA is serving as local architect on the project. They are joined by lead design firm HOK Sport, a Kansas City-based architectural firm which has designed 14 new professional ballparks and M. A. Mortenson Company, a local construction firm which is one of the top three national builders of sports venues.

"We look forward to bringing to life this great ballpark that will celebrate outdoor baseball in Minnesota," said Ken Sorensen, vice president and general manager of Mortenson's Minnesota Office. "Working closely with HGA and HOK Sport, we will build a ballpark for all Minnesotans to call home."

The development agreement signed between the Twins and the county gives the County Board approval over ballpark design; the board is expected to review the ballpark design at its April 17 meeting with a final vote scheduled for the April 24 meeting.

Under the state of Minnesota's authorizing legislation, the county's share of financing the ballpark is $350 million for construction and infrastructure costs, while the Twins organization is contributing $130 million. The Hennepin County/Minnesota Twins proposal for a new ballpark was approved by the Minnesota Legislature and signed into law in May 2006. Construction is expected to begin this spring, and the ballpark is scheduled to open for the 2010 season. For more information on the ballpark, visit the new ballpark page.

See less See more
#105 ·
I think they fit their respective clubs nicely. The new Yankee stadium is cold, fancy, imposing and self righteous. That seems to fit the Yankees organization like a glove. This isn't out to proclaim itself, a clean lined, unique, and a comfortable relaxed place to watch the game.
I think I'm the only one, but I have much less problem with the new yankee stadium than the new Busch stadium, for me the new one is a fair bit of a downgrade. St Louis had the one great cookie cutter from the multipurpose era, and now they have a mediocre Camden nock off at best.

#110 ·
So bad design is a trend in MLB stadiums. I've been to a MLB game before where you couldn't see part of the field from my seat and it sucked. Nothing is worse than missing a robbed homerun or a missing a ball take an odd bounce off the outfield wall to create a triple or inside the park homerun because you couldn't see if from your seat.

#111 ·
I would say that Dodger Stadium was the first to do Modern right, and that was in 1962. Kaufmann is from the 70s, certainly not retro and absolutely wonderful (especially post renovation). The more recent examples have been lacking; neither Nationals Park or the Great American Ballpark are anything special in my book. This is really nice, up there at the top with PNC for more recent parks in my book.

#116 ·
^^
I believe that is just inside one the entry points behind homeplate and by one of the pubs that will be in the ballpark. Maybe someone from the area knows for sure?

I also found this awesome picture on Twinsballpark2010.com and again thought i would share it here...

Click link for high res version
http://www.twinsballpark2010.com/_resources/tf_night.jpg

#124 ·
^^

I would have to agree with you there. I think PNC is one of the best ballparks of all the modern examples. Its hard to beat its amazing skyline view. Im not a huge fan of SanFran's park but it does have an awesome setting.

#131 ·
I agree PNC is a great ballpark. Very unique.

Once you peel away the facade of Rangers Ballpark is a very nice stadium design. The concourse is huge and soaring. Even the upper concourse is open and soaring. You can really get around this place. Shame it is seen as such a Disneyland because of the exterior.

#132 ·
Once you peel away the facade of Rangers Ballpark is a very nice stadium design. The concourse is huge and soaring. Even the upper concourse is open and soaring. You can really get around this place. Shame it is seen as such a Disneyland because of the exterior.
I like the exterior, it's dominating as you drive buy it and has an outpost look. But the internal detail is where Ballpark in Arlington is amazing. Next time im at a game ill take some pics and post it on the stadiums thread... if there is one.

#136 ·
I've been to AT&T as well as Arlington and the ballpark in San Francisco is far superior. The sightlines, the location, the accessibility and the intimacy are all superior in San Francisco. I've been to a lot of ballparks and Arlington is in the bottom half for sure. I think Target Field will be near the top when finished.

#138 ·
if you're just talking about the actual ballpark, not the surroundings, they're the same bowl design, except Arlington is bigger, therefore has more outfield seats. The concourse in Arlington kills AT&T. But then again, that's part of the difference in location. AT&T doesn't need the grand concourses that parks like Arlington or NYS have. They are more internal ballparks than Camden or AT&T. If Rangers Ballpark was in AT&T's location it would be considered constricting. If AT&T was in Arlington it would be considered horrible for having outfield views of the GM plant and tight concourses that don't allow airflow in a very hot place. They are what they are, but I hate it when the design is only looked at based on environment when the environment is scenic.

#139 ·
Yeah, the setting is not all that makes AT&T a better ballpark. I don't buy the same bowl design. The slope, number of rows and overhang are different. It's better at AT&T and makes it a better place to watch a game. The sightlines are superior. That's why it's a better ballpark. The setting is just the icing on the cake.

#140 ·
I love how AT&T is probably the only legitimate retro park around. They dont mow a patern into the grass, the bullpens were built down the foul lines, theres a lot of public transportation to the park. Then of course theres the brick construction and all that stuff.

AT&T IS retro.

#141 · (Edited)
Here's a shot of the new Light Rail Transit station on the 5th Street side of Target Field, visible in the near background. This line connects the ballpark to the rest of downtown, Cedar-Riverside, the Mall of America and the MSP International Airport. Below this platform is the Northstar Commuter Rail station, which connects Minneapolis to Big Lake and, eventually, St. Cloud, about 65 miles away:

Photo courtesy of forumer Leapfroggy at Minnescraper.com

#150 ·
Here's a shot of the new Light Rail Transit station on the 5th Street side of Target Field, visible in the near background. This line connects the ballpark to the rest of downtown, Cedar-Riverside, the Mall of America and the MSP International Airport. Below this platform is the Northstar Commuter Rail station, which connects Minneapolis to Big Lake and, eventually, St. Cloud, about 65 miles away:
Is the Northstar Line open yet?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.