search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 23rd, 2017, 01:29 AM   #37061
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 773

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreden View Post
You're right, although the non-EU members have negotiated some additional exceptions. As I understood May, the UK wants to go from being a full-fledged EU member to having a status akin to Norway or Switzerland for the two-year period. I wouldn't be surprised if this transitional period were prolonged indefinitely, though.

The reason why this sort of status has been unacceptable for the Brits so far is that they would normally still have to contribute to the EU budget for the privilege of access, accept some freedom of movement of labour and be subject to ECJ jurisdiction (the court is basically a sort of referee on the single market), all red lines for the UK government. So if this transitional period came to fruition, it would be kinda ironic. There have been constant complaints that the UK is at the mercy of the EU, yet as a member state it does, in fact, have a say in the matters. Now, as a participant in the single market but outside of the EU, it would still be subject to a large chunk of the legislation, but would lose all voting power.

Transitionally perhaps, but she specifically said she didn't want a Norway/Switzerland-style status permanently, and for that very reason: no say in the rules.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 23rd, 2017, 02:09 AM   #37062
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4689

Then I guess the most she can hope for is the EU Customs Union.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2017, 02:13 AM   #37063
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 736

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Transitionally perhaps, but she specifically said she didn't want a Norway/Switzerland-style status permanently, and for that very reason: no say in the rules.
It's so funny right? They have a say in the rules, already for 40 years... they just need to do nothing at all
Old September 23rd, 2017, 02:23 AM   #37064
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

The roadside rest area

Yes, but it was turning into more than the single market; that, they'd never signed on for.
Not that it's any of my business.

So.... - change of subject (except insofar as there's a De Gaulle connection) - I gather the péquistes are suddenly all about self-determination for Catalonia? Which is also none of my business, but none of theirs either....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old September 23rd, 2017, 12:47 PM   #37065
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4689

Holy shit, I'm listening to a Slovenian tourist guide and she said something about border between Slovenia and Australia! Unbelievable!

Penn's Woods, Attus liked this post
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2017, 02:32 PM   #37066
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

See? We're not the only ones!

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Verso liked this post
Old September 23rd, 2017, 05:10 PM   #37067
tfd543

Likes (Received): 44

Like Slovenia and Slovakia.
tfd543 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2017, 05:22 PM   #37068
Junkie
Supervisor

Likes (Received): 702

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
This is the European Single Market. Besides the EU it also includes Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, and Switzerland.
Norway, Iceland, Lichtenstein and Switzerland are part of the Economic Single Market Area? But they don't share political values in a union. If this is so, I hope one day we will see the Western Balkans states to be in the same position. To be part of the same single market and abolish any customs so the economies could grow.

BEEN IN:
MK A AL B BiH BG HR CZ EST F FIN D GR H I LT MNE NL SRB SK SLO E TR PL RKS
Junkie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2017, 06:42 PM   #37069
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 20604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
Norway, Iceland, Lichtenstein and Switzerland are part of the Economic Single Market Area? But they don't share political values in a union. If this is so, I hope one day we will see the Western Balkans states to be in the same position. To be part of the same single market and abolish any customs so the economies could grow.
Switerland has a different set of arrangements. They have dozens of treaties of equivalency with EU, all conditioned on concurrent validity. The end results are similar* but the way to achieve them very different.

Andorra, San Marino and Monaco will have some special framework to work with in 2020, as EU and EEA are negotiating a workable framework for these three smaller nations instead of the patchwork that currently exists (becuase they are not latched to bigger neighbors institutionally the way Liechtenstein is, it is said they do not have the capacity, by sheer small size, to be a full-fledged EU member even if they wanted to, although EU-microstate relations got much better after they did some house cleaning concerning bank secrecy and tax evasion).

*example: the EU+EEA free cell phone roaming directive does not apply to Switzerland (Swiss GSM cards used in EU/EEA and vice-versa)

Junkie liked this post

Last edited by Suburbanist; September 23rd, 2017 at 07:12 PM.
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2017, 10:31 AM   #37070
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1627

This is a real candidate for The slowest train prize

http://cp.atlas.sk/draha/?p=Hfdf.Yif...ISNp22U4SDYw--

volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2017, 04:25 PM   #37071
rudiwien

Likes (Received): 1031

Hungarians seem to like to use Euro-city connections as regional trains within Hungary....
rudiwien está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2017, 07:47 PM   #37072
keber

Likes (Received): 1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfd543 View Post
Like Slovenia and Slovakia.
I just got a (classical) mail from USA rental car agency that was directed to Lubijana, Slovakia (regarding unpaid toll)
Strange is that someone wrote my address right (as I am in their database), but when he/she started to type country, he/she thought rather out of his/hear head and not used correct database. Also, mail took three weeks as it needed to visit more countries than intended.

g.spinoza liked this post
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2017, 12:27 AM   #37073
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 736

Toll fee: 2,50 USD

stamps on envelope: 9,75 USD
Old September 29th, 2017, 01:39 AM   #37074
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

The roadside rest area

Going back to our discussion of local environmental restrictions (and I'm not arguing about whether they're a good idea per se), this long article in French (sorry) just hit my newsfeed re a gradual ban on more polluting vehicles in Brussels. If I read correctly, diesel cars will be completely prohibited in Brussels in 2025. Yes, that's some time from now.... There are immediate prohibitions (well, starting in January) on older cars; they're being phased in according to when the car was registered. Reading it from the point of view of the issue I raised - renting a car and then finding I couldn't use it in certain jurisdictions, it doesn't look like a concern yet...I'd hope that the cars that are about to be prohibited are so old no one would be renting them to the typical tourist anyway, but it may get dicey a few years down the line.

The article mentions (without giving details) similar diesel bans in Paris, Madrid and Athens.

http://www.lalibre.be/regions/bruxel...70be70bcb08414

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old September 29th, 2017, 07:10 AM   #37075
keber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post

Toll fee: 2,50 USD

stamps on envelope: 9,75 USD
Almost
Toll fee: 2.00 USD
Administration cost: 15.00 USD

Friend in other car had an administrative cost of 24.75 USD with the same toll

Last edited by keber; September 29th, 2017 at 07:34 AM.
Old September 29th, 2017, 08:56 AM   #37076
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18049

That's just stupid. Wouldn't it had just been easier to get the toll from your credit card, then send you the invoice per E-Mail? The only place where I got my rental invoice per mail, was the NL, anywhere else it was just an E-Mail
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2017, 10:02 AM   #37077
keber

They took the toll from my credit card automatically (a day after I received mail). I agree it is a stupid bureaucratic measure, but those rental car agencies earn a lot of money from such "costs". We tried to avoid all tolls without toll booths but it appears there are tolls in US that become unavoidable if you don't plan all trips very carefully and well in advance (like using another parallel interstate).
Old September 29th, 2017, 10:24 AM   #37078
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 1938

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
They took the toll from my credit card automatically (a day after I received mail). I agree it is a stupid bureaucratic measure, but those rental car agencies earn a lot of money from such "costs". We tried to avoid all tolls without toll booths but it appears there are tolls in US that become unavoidable if you don't plan all trips very carefully and well in advance (like using another parallel interstate).
When I rented a car in Denver last year I planned all my movements very carefully... I was aware of the toll on E-470 and explicitly excluded it in my satnav...
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2017, 10:33 AM   #37079
rudiwien

Likes (Received): 1031

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
That's just stupid. Wouldn't it had just been easier to get the toll from your credit card, then send you the invoice per E-Mail? The only place where I got my rental invoice per mail, was the NL, anywhere else it was just an E-Mail

Well, they one the one hand want to charge you for the administration fee, or, they want you to pay their toll-service, which might cost up to 10 USD per day, upfront next time....

So, yes it would be easier for them, but they want some money for that, either way, upfront or afterwards...
rudiwien está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2017, 10:43 AM   #37080
Attus

Likes (Received): 946

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I'd hope that the cars that are about to be prohibited are so old no one would be renting them to the typical tourist anyway, but it may get dicey a few years down the line.
Of course I can understand that you, living far away and hardly using your own car in Europe, think primarily about rental cars.
However, I think it's an important issue for European drivers as well. From my home I can drive in less than two hours to four different countries: the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg and France. I drive not very much abroad but sometimes I simply have no idea whether I'm right or I am not.
I speak neither French nor Dutch (OK, written Dutch is often clear for people who speak English and German).
And it's not only about environmental restrictions, although those may be very tricky, but tolls as well. In the Netherlands motorways are basically not tolled but there are some short tolled tunnels and bridges where you not always can pay the toll there in cash or by credit card but you must register yourself previuosly at I don't know which organization...
And open borders make the situation even more complicated. You must carefully plan your route, you may not follow the instructions of navigation because it may suggest you a route partially abroad when you simply try to avoid a congestion or looking for the shortest way.
I drove from Antwerp to Germany. I followed the signs "Aken / Aachen". And, fully unexpected, staying on the same motorway, I saw the sign "Nederlands". So suddenly I was in another country, absolutely unintended. OK, this time it was OK but there could be some environmental regulation or unavoidable toll which you can not pay at the location...

Penn's Woods liked this post
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways