search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 23rd, 2017, 08:12 PM   #15881
pai nosso

Likes (Received): 3938

Border of Miranda do Douro (Portugal) / Spain – September of 2017 » Location

1-

2-

3-

4-

5-

6-

7-

8-

9-

10-

Source: pai nosso

piotr71, parcdesprinces, Zagor666, SRC_100 liked this post
pai nosso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 23rd, 2017, 08:13 PM   #15882
pai nosso

Border of Bemposta (Portugal) / Spain – September of 2017 » Location

1-

2-

3-

4-

5-

6-

Source: pai nosso

parcdesprinces, Penn's Woods, SRC_100 liked this post
Old September 23rd, 2017, 08:33 PM   #15883
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9193

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
They do not want. In the same way of Monaco
Speaking of which, here is a pic I took on the Franco-Monegasque border when I used to spend several months a year in Monaco (pic already posted in this thread if I remember well....but...well....that was 5-6 years or so ago.....so..) :

©parcdesprinces

nenea_hartia, SRC_100 liked this post
parcdesprinces no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2017, 08:43 PM   #15884
Junkie
Supervisor

Likes (Received): 703

How is this border regulated? Do you need to provide papers? And what about the street on this pic?

BEEN IN:
MK A AL B BiH BG HR CZ EST F FIN D GR H I LT MNE NL SRB SK SLO E TR PL RKS
Junkie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2017, 08:53 PM   #15885
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9193

There are no check points at the Franco-Monegasque border since Monaco is a Schengen Area member (actually it is considered as part of France under the Schengen agreements), so, no, you don't have to provide papers, etc....

Regarding the street in my pic, it simply marks the border between France and Monaco.. (the wall on the right is simply the "façade" of an "underground" car park on the French side, with a football ground above)

P.S. Oh and BTW, the area seen on my pic (Fontvieille) was reclaimed from the sea in the 80s (mainly in Monaco, but also a little part on the French side).

Junkie liked this post

Last edited by parcdesprinces; September 23rd, 2017 at 09:08 PM.
parcdesprinces no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2017, 09:00 PM   #15886
nenea_hartia
Skeptic

Likes (Received): 228

Here are some pictures I took today at one of the world's craziest borders ever:

Few hundred meters away I've met the first Dutch enclave in the Belgian enclave in the Netherlands... Check the crosses on the sidewalk: at the left is Belgium, at the right the Netherlands:

A shop advertising Dutch tobacco at Belgian prices:

Here is the town centre. We are still in Belgium, but if you pass the first building on the right side of the street, then you'll be in the Netherlands:

bogdymol, piotr71, SRC_100, Verso liked this post
nenea_hartia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2017, 09:01 PM   #15887
nenea_hartia
Skeptic

Ok, the lady on the right sits at a table of a very famous coffee shop:

At the other side of road:

And back in Belgium, just few meters away:

Here is the Belgian Baarle Hartog town hall:

And the Dutch Baarle Nassau town hall:

bogdymol, lancu, piotr71, 8166UY, SRC_100 liked this post
Old September 23rd, 2017, 09:02 PM   #15888
nenea_hartia
Skeptic

Walking around I bit, I found other enclaves in enclave:

But this one is my absolute favourite. Do you see the small open door with an advertising panel placed more or less exactly on the border?

Now let's have a look inside :

Across the street, at Beate Uhse's, they had a promotion: 3 products for the price of 2 :

Overall, nice town(s), nice people. As the advertisement on the pole says, "Together we are Baarle":

Old September 23rd, 2017, 11:39 PM   #15889
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post

How is this border regulated? Do you need to provide papers? And what about the street on this pic?

Just because 50m or so, French railway network hast a border inside Monaco

https://www.google.es/maps/@43.73864...2!8i6656?hl=es

Buildings in the middle of image are yet in France

Anyway, it is an outside EU country. Therefore, it is enough to see Grand Prix and tobacco ads are allowed there.

As a curious border issue on Monaco sports:

- Football stadium couldn't be enlarged without entering inside France

https://www.google.es/maps/place/M%C....4246158?hl=es

- Rallye of Montecarlo is run mainly in French Alps. Only last step is inside Monaco

- Tennis master of Monaco is played inside France

https://www.google.es/maps/place/M%C....4246158?hl=es

- Grand Prix of Formula 1 is entirely in Monaco

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2017, 11:41 PM   #15890
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

pai nosso...

about first border, in Spanish side, I think it is one out of roads that has appeared three times at least in a "guess the road" thread in Spain (and link to location must be accurate). I guess because taking some images can be confused for people

about second one... is it the damn that it is partially painted in yellow?

Old September 23rd, 2017, 11:57 PM   #15891
pai nosso

Quote:
pai nosso...

about first border, in Spanish side, I think it is one out of roads that has appeared three times at least in a "guess the road" thread in Spain (and link to location must be accurate). I guess because taking some images can be confused for people
Yes, the link is accurate.

Quote:
about second one... is it the damn that it is partially painted in yellow?

What can i say........, it was and i quote "artistic intervention" made by the electric company owner of the dam (EDP) only because they wanted.

An yes, they only painted half of the dam in yellow, the walls on the portuguese side.

And now, the punch line, it costed in 2011 150.000€!!!

Old September 24th, 2017, 12:04 AM   #15892
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

From time to time... we use a "guess the road" thread. There are few rules... google image, pointing north, and must be "a road" at least. Later we use to give several clues to start on... but sometimes looking for a landscape that you would guess in another corner.

That road has appeared several times (and boundary roads are often because not easy at all)

Old September 24th, 2017, 02:18 PM   #15893
Junkie
Supervisor

Likes (Received): 703

alserrod so what is the difference between Andorra and Monaco (these microstates) except that you can move free in Monaco?

BEEN IN:
MK A AL B BiH BG HR CZ EST F FIN D GR H I LT MNE NL SRB SK SLO E TR PL RKS
Junkie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2017, 02:52 PM   #15894
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
alserrod so what is the difference between Andorra and Monaco (these microstates) except that you can move free in Monaco?
I do not know exactly... I could state AFAIK about Andorra and if anyone can compare with Monaco... hence the result

- co-princepts, after having own parliament, a sort of head of states or so (special names for them) is given to Urgel bishop (it is one out of most catholic country in Europe) and French president
- barely taxes. Some years ago I would say, similar taxes (than in France or Spain) for companies bur zero taxes for citizens. Nowadays there is a "soft VAT" or so
- they use euro and have agreements with BCE. You can find Andorran 1 euro coins, but they do not belong to BCE
- For sports, they have own football league despite there is one team that plays in Spain. Winner of that team will play first round for Champions' league (never played second round, but from time to time, a known team appears there). For basketball they have a quite good team in major league in Spain and do not know about other sports. In Olympics they appear as an independent country with 5-6 athletes or so
- AFAIK, it is the oldest independent country with same territory in Europe (maybe in the world)
- non-Schengen country despite there is a weak passport control. You can only go crossing France or Spain... and that non-controlled periclave of Spain
- There is a bank law about secrets. You cannot open an anonymous bank account like in Switzerland but all employees are under a bank secret law. Some years ago, banks took 11% of country incomings. Some people dedice to set there their money and, via internet, operations can take one or two more "zeros" than in your most used bank
- Tourism. It is another way for incomings. They have a very good ski network for winter and infrastructure to profitate mountains in summer.... and greatest natural spa in Europe.
- Shopping. It is going down because logistic reasons. Nowadays companies are more efficient due to logistic and online shopping. They remain open 361 days per year (except in 1st January, Constitution day, National day and Christmas).
One decade ago I remember that any music CD had a new tax in Spain that made them more expensive and found same ones in Andorra in... half price because buying there avoid you to pay for those taxes... but today people do not buy CD but online music.

Regarding with borders they are only worried to be able to close them just in case of fatality and know who is in the country, for instance, which it is very, very easy.
The rate of officers is strongly low and have no army

Old September 24th, 2017, 03:55 PM   #15895
piotr71

[HR][BiH] Strmica & Kaldrma

Let me show you a most interesting border crossing I have ever been to. I actually blended two crossings together, as they are quite close to each other and also, because I intended to enter Bosnia through one and leave through another one, what funnily happened impossible. Eventually, I had to come back to Croatia through the same as I entered BiH.

I was travelling from Paklenica National Park to Strmica through Knin, using national roads D27, D1 and D33.

First sign for Strmica, seen in Knin.

Here is the border.

Because it is external EU border, photographing is rather prohibited, as I was informed on one of the Bosnian-Croatian posts. Therefore, pictures are not very detailed.

Road near Bosansko Grahovo.

Bosansko Grahovo is not particularly interesting town, however in nearby village, there is something which might attract hunters of curiosities.

This little, wooden cottage, I believe so, was a place of birth of a regional hero, by most known as assassin of Franz Ferdinand Carl Ludwig Joseph Maria, Archduke of Austria-Este, Austro-Hungarian and Royal Prince of Hungary and of Bohemia.
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2017, 03:56 PM   #15896
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Why is it forbidden to take pics?

Old September 24th, 2017, 04:53 PM   #15897
piotr71

Ok, Bosansko Grahovo was just a stop to the destination, so let me continue. Easiest way to reach Kaldrma is to follow road 14.2 to Resanovci and then turn into road M6.1.

One of the monuments in the village of Resanovci.

Direction Tiskovac.

In front of me, Czech car heading Kaldrma. As I was informed later on, by a Croatian border officer, this car and 10 others were set back from the border and recommended other crossings. It's due to a certain regulation related to this crossing.

Most of the M6.1 is covered with macadam. 10 kilometres left to its end.

Kaldrma crossing.

Abandoned railway connecting Split with Zagreb. Little service building is already in Croatia, so unexpectedly I am.

I was not aware, that asphalted part of the road lays in Croatia - macadam part in Bosnia. After some 100 metres, I was stopped by a Bosnian border police officer and explained about breaching the law. He said that I should make a left turning some 500 metres back in the woods, to avoid illegal passing the border. Well, how could I know. After some routine set of questions, checking documents, jokes and warning regarding Croatian border police, who might not be so polite, he let me go to my main destination - Savkin autoput.

Kilometre zero.
Old September 24th, 2017, 05:14 PM   #15898
piotr71

Savkin Autoput.

There are 3 villages called by this name, actually. Upper-, Lower- and Licki Tiskovac. They are all settled alongside the border line - upper and lower in Bosnia, Licki in Croatia. Interestingly, there is no road connection to Tiskovac Licki from Croatia, therefore inhabitants of the village have to cross the border in Kaldrma, anytime they wish to visit "mainland'.

"Fico".

Here it is: Savkin autoput.

"During the 70's, a highway from Zagreb to Split (via Bihać) was planned (it was called "Savkin autoput" after Savka Dabčević Kučar, president of the Central commitee of the communist union of Croatia) and construction started on section between Tiškovac and Kaldrma. But those were times when it wasn't politically desirable to connect 2 biggest cities in Croatia as part of Yugoslavia, so suddenly all the works had been stopped. The facts about the construction and withdrawal of the money are vaguely known."

Today there is some 10 km long section of macadam road which follows the CRO-BIH border (there's also an abandoned railroad), few tunnel portals and water canals can be seen."

If you have a deep look, you will see a portal of one of the planned tunnels.

Opposite - railway tunnel.

Partly constructed bridge.

Motorway!

Motorway and Italian beauty on it

Another portal.

tbc.

nenea_hartia, Kpc21, BL2, Alex_ZR, Alien x and 3 others liked this post
Old September 24th, 2017, 05:57 PM   #15899
piotr71

Pulled out of the motorway for a while, just to see mentioned Tiskovac Licki. As far as I am aware, this village and near Drenovac in Croatia, are still "wired" to Bosnian power plants and phone land lines. Want to call family in Croatia - dial Croatian country code!

I was pretty certain that the brook, slowly flowing under the bridge, marks the borderline.

Unsurprisingly, I was not right...this sign appeared right behind my back. It was a question asked to myself, then: "cross or not to cross"?

Serbian cemetery behind the fence (I think, it wouldn't be polite to show the graves, so fence only). This area belonged to Serbian Krajina before the war.

I believe, I got to Croatia again.

Republika Srpska Army barracks. Right on the border.

Coming back. Kaldrma crossing is designated for locals only, so I had to go back all the way to Strmica.

Landmines!

Another monument i Resaanovci.

Sve.

Kpc21, Junkie, bogdymol, BL2, Highway89 and 11 others liked this post

Last edited by piotr71; September 24th, 2017 at 06:06 PM.
Old September 24th, 2017, 06:00 PM   #15900
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 5864

Super zdjęcia
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways