search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 29th, 2010, 03:46 PM   #61
Geordie Ahmed

Likes (Received): 1

Dont believe the tories - lets just say that miraculously they are telling the truth then I certainly dont want the A1 to be dualled and then find our funding for other area's cut as the tories have confirmed
Geordie Ahmed no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 29th, 2010, 03:56 PM   #62
Chatton11

Likes (Received): 22

The main positive point about this, combined with Tory talk about targetting some areas up here, is that with any luck, the constituencies up here will become more marginal, and the politicians might actually give a monkeys. The much talked about Lib dem charge seems to have really dented Labour. I'm no massive fan of any of the parties as such, but if we can get them all thinking that we actually matter, and that we're worth spending the effort on, then maybe stuff will get done.
Chatton11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2010, 04:47 PM   #63
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 1550

Ha ha, this is FUNNY!! The same day that we got this from the Tories (at 'Post 57') - http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...3&postcount=57

We get THIS (in another newspaper) from the Lib Dems!!

Lib Dem pledge on A1 dualling cash
Northumberland Gazette, 29 April 2010.

THE leader of the Liberal Democrats Nick Clegg has said money needs to be found to dual the A1 in Northumberland. He told a Tyneside audience last week that a Lib Dem government would try to find funds to dual the road instead of putting more money into motorways.

Berwick-upon-Tweed Lib Dem candidate Sir Alan Beith welcomed the news.
He said: "I am delighted that Nick Clegg has given such a clear indication that money needs to be found to complete the A1 dualling.

"He is the only party leader to have given such a clear indication that the A1 is a priority.

"He recognises that it is a vital strategic link and although no permanent timetable for the improvement to be achieved has been offered, he has made it absolutely clear that a strategic link is very important.

REST OF ARTICLE HERE - http://www.northumberlandgazette.co....-A1.6261865.jp
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2010, 05:06 PM   #64
thenorthumbrian
The Northumbrian

Likes (Received): 324

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geordie Ahmed View Post
Dont believe the tories - lets just say that miraculously they are telling the truth then I certainly dont want the A1 to be dualled and then find our funding for other area's cut as the tories have confirmed
So the Tories are promising massive cuts in North East public expenditure and manage to find funding for the dualing of the A1 ?
I agree,Geordie Ahmed, I don't believe the Tories either.
Old April 29th, 2010, 06:06 PM   #65
maxtoon
Southeast Geordie

Likes (Received): 4

Anything to get the bloody vote .. pre election spin .. don't believe any of them
maxtoon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2010, 07:56 PM   #66
DXNewcastle
cogito ergo sum

Likes (Received): 95

BUT , NEITHER THIS . . . .
Quote:
THE A1 would be made a route of national importance if the Conservatives form the next Government.
NOR THIS . . . .
Quote:
Nick Clegg has said money needs to be found to dual the A1 in Northumberland.
. . . amount to a committment to actually pay for the dualling in the next term of government.
Don't these statements just mean "we'll consider it (and then possibly refuse it)"?

EDIT. We've probs got more chance in gettting the Scottish Government to fund it. (Might require some constitutional adjustments!)

Last edited by DXNewcastle; April 29th, 2010 at 10:20 PM.
DXNewcastle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2010, 10:50 AM   #67
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

A1 takes centre stage in North election battle
Apr 30 2010 by Adrian Pearson, The Journal

THE A1 has taken centre stage in the election battle as the main parties fight to convince voters they have the money, will power and political know-how to see the vital route dualled.

After the Conservatives announced they would change the route from one designated as a regional responsibility to a road of national importance, MPs have jumped in to say why their party would do the most to improve the neglected carriageway.

Such a move by the Tories would mean the road has a chance of accessing a multi-billion pound national transport pot rather than the more limited funds available in the North East.

But the Liberal Democrats yesterday insisted that Nick Clegg had already promised to find the cash for the road, although he stopped short of making it a manifesto commitment.

None of the parties have any written promises to improve the road, but last night all three were setting out their case for a road which has for years been ignored.

REST OF ARTICLE HERE - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...1634-26346985/
Old April 30th, 2010, 11:00 AM   #68
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 640

Even though the Tories haven't promised it to get done, they have upgraded it to a national importence which means it will get done before the region has a chance of doing it via our own funding, and that it will have more money for the upgrade and in effect be able to do it to a higher standard.

What we do need to do though, is make sure the Scottish government will work with us and upgrade it over the border aswell, otherwise it will only be half a job done.

Also if anyone is interested, the BNP apparently want it to be a 3 lane motorway all the way up to Berwick and want the A69 to be a dual carrigeway all the way along.
Good ideas, but still I'll never vote for them.

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2010, 11:16 AM   #69
maxtoon
Southeast Geordie

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb View Post
Also if anyone is interested, the BNP apparently want it to be a 3 lane motorway all the way up to Berwick and want the A69 to be a dual carrigeway all the way along.
Nice idea but they don't have a clue. It took 15 years to get the Haydon Bridge bypass built, and even that was still single carriageway. Roadlink have stated that there are too many 'sites of historical importance' along the A69 route to allow for full dualling. The only solution would be 'land fall' re-routing at astronomical cost.
maxtoon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2010, 11:27 AM   #70
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

It was only a couple of years ago when they were making the road more straight and having to relocate it next to where it was currently located. That to me is a missed opportunity to dual it at the same time and bypass many of the towns it currently rips through where the road isn't wide enough for the large trucks and such that go through it, and the amound of traffic is far to high for little town/village roads.

Newcastle Metro Area
Old April 30th, 2010, 12:57 PM   #71
BMS100

Likes (Received): 41

People change, attitudes change and even political party's change.
However, cynicism is justified in this case.

Steven Norris, Conservative minister for transport in 1996 said, there is no need to dual the A1 between Morpeth and the Scottish border, as Edinburgh is as far west as Carlisle and is served by the M6.
BMS100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2010, 01:53 PM   #72
WilfBurnsFan

Likes (Received): 59

Quote:
Neglecting to mention that it would be built cheaply and efficiently by Jews, non-whites, trades unionists and other camp inmates?
WilfBurnsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 02:47 AM   #73
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Some positives I can take from the recent government we have been given about dualling the A1.

This is fairly recent news from only yesterday afternoon.
Quote:
DEFEATED general election candidate Anne-Marie Trevelyan has pledged to redouble her efforts to get the A1 dualled throughout north Northumberland.

Improvements to the 50-mile stretch of road between Berwick and Morpeth were the number one priority of the Conservative campaign in this area.

Anne-Marie is meeting Coun Alan Thompson, of Northumberland County Council, and Alan Ferguson, chairman of the A1 Action Group, to discuss the need to put the A1 at the heart of the council's economic strategy.

She said: "Our county council's economic strategy is the key document that sets out how we plan to develop our local economy in the future.

"I was shocked to find only a very brief, passing reference to the A1, buried deep in a long document tortured by council jargon."

The A1 is now in the list of roads considered for funding from the national budget for road improvements rather than the regional budget.
"Now that the playing field has been levelled, it is down to local people to make a loud and strong case for dualling," said Anne-Marie.

"We will only get progress on this issue when our Lib-Dem County Council gets serious about building this road and speaks with a clear voice."

Despite defeat in the election, Anne-Marie was pleased to slash the majority of Liberal Democrat Sir Alan Beith from 8000 to just over 2500.
"Now that the election is finished I will redouble my efforts to get the A1 dualled," she said. "I expect our newly returned MP to throw his weight behind the work of the A1 Action Group.

"Local people will not forgive politicians if they place voting reform and high politics ahead of the need to make progress on dualling the A1."
Link: http://www.berwick-advertiser.co.uk/...nue.6302308.jp

Also this is what the Lib Dems had planned in the run up to the election.

Quote:
THE leader of the Liberal Democrats Nick Clegg has said money needs to be found to dual the A1 in Northumberland.
Nick Clegg told a Tyneside audience last week that a Lib Dem government would try to find funds to dual the road instead of putting more money into motorways.

Berwick-upon-Tweed Lib Dem candidate Sir Alan Beith welcomed the news.
He said: "I am delighted that Nick Clegg has given such a clear indication that money needs to be found to complete the A1 dualling.

"He is the only party leader to have given such a clear indication that the A1 is a priority.

"He recognises that it is a vital strategic link and although no permanent timetable for the improvement to be achieved has been offered, he has made it absolutely clear that a strategic link is very important."

Conservative would-be MP Anne-Marie Trevelyan said: "It would be great to see Nick Clegg change his stated transport policy which is to slash £3billion out of roads in favour of rail.

"When asked the question about dualling projects last week, his transport secretary, Norman Baker, said there will be no money for them.
"I am continuing to lobby government and a potential future Conservative government and hope that our transport secretary will be visiting Northumberland before the election to see for herself the urgent need for safety and economic development reasons why the A1 must be dualled."

Labour candidate Alan Strickland said: "Given that the Lib Dem manifesto commits the party to cutting back on investment in roads and switching to rail, it's difficult to see how Nick Clegg can promise funds for the A1. We musn't let the longer term debate about dualling distract from the immediate need to make the road safer."
Link: http://www.northumberlandgazette.co....-A1.6261865.jp

Also I had a quick look at the A1 action group who are currently working on a new website, but the leader of that group has the surname Ferguson and the website of the group has the Ferguson's haulage logo, so I think it's safe to say it has the backing of the haulage group which is a big plus.

Newcastle Metro Area
Old June 18th, 2010, 10:46 AM   #74
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Transport Secretary in future A1 dualling pledge
Jun 18 2010 by William Green, The Journal

TRANSPORT Secretary Philip Hammond yesterday promised that plans to dual the A1 road throughout Northumberland will be drawn up when “resources allow” .

The pledge from the Tory Cabinet minister came on the same day the coalition Government announced it was cancelling projects worth £3bn approved by Labour when it was in power.

Danny Alexander, the Liberal Democrat who is Chief Secretary to the Treasury, said it was necessary in “difficult” economic times to tackle Britain’s national debt.

But Mr Hammond insisted that the dualling of the A1 would be considered by the coalition, albeit at an unspecified date in the future.

Speaking later to The Journal, Sir Alan Beith said: “It is clearly right that the A1 should be treated as a national strategic road and I have been pressing that.

“The Labour Government refused to do this. The trouble is there is very little money in the national pot.

“At least Mr Hammond has agreed we should be planning a complete dualling when the resources are available.”

The developments come after a long running, and so far unsuccessful, campaign for the A1 to be made a full dual carriageway all the way to the border with Scotland.

A key concern has been the fact that, previously, the route was classified only as a regional priority to be paid for without help from national spending pots.

It meant that were the North East to have paid for the dualling programme, its entire regional funding allocation would have been eaten up.

However, now that the road has been afforded the designation of a “route of national significance”, ministers will have to decide whether to use funds that might also be called upon to fund a new high speed rail network, which is a coalition Government priority.

FULL (TWO PAGE) ARTICLE HERE - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...1634-26676997/
Old June 18th, 2010, 11:56 AM   #75
Chatton11

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
[B][SIZE="6"]when “resources allow” .

Chatton11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2010, 12:00 PM   #76
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Yeah, a bad choice of wording there, which doesn't put much faith in to it, however though it's closer then we have ever got before to get this road duelled.

Newcastle Metro Area
Old June 18th, 2010, 12:06 PM   #77
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Yeah, a bad choice of wording there, which doesn't put much faith in to it, however though it's closer then we have ever got before to get this road duelled.

I agree, hence the that I attached.

Reminds me of an old LP I used to have by The Moody Blues. (think I still have it in the loft).

It is called "To our Childrens, Childrens, Children"

(maybe!!!)
Old June 18th, 2010, 03:11 PM   #78
anonymous1

Likes (Received): 23

They cancelled the widening of a motorway near Cambridge yesterday. This was already approved.

This will not happen anytime soon.
anonymous1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2010, 05:40 PM   #79
DXNewcastle
cogito ergo sum

Likes (Received): 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous1 View Post
They cancelled the widening of a motorway near Cambridge yesterday. This was already approved.
aka the Huntingdon & Cambridge free car park - which continues to threaten to become a guided busway, surely that's about as bad as UK public transport gets (unless its a single lane guided busway eg in Leeds)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous1 View Post
This will not happen anytime soon.
You are quite correct - agreeing merely to plan for the works, aquisitions and bigget of all, the river bridges, once funding becomes available (if it does) is not going to assist anyone.
I've got a couple of trips to do from N'cle beyond Alnwick over the next few days - I allow an extra half hour for summer weekend stop-start traffic, and just wait patiently.

If ever there was massive strategic road network development funding, then it might still leave A1 as it is and choose the A68 instead - its more than 20 miles shorter (to Edin.) and would serve vast swathes of Northumberland and Borders Region - communities which have lacked investment in infrastructure more acutely than Alnwick, Berwick and Haddington, it would connect with N'cle Airport, Jedburgh, Galashiels, Dalkeith and provide more direct connections between North Yorks and the Scottish Central belt.
To continue investing in the A1 simply sustains a long-way-round and adds to the overstretched by-passes in both Newcastle and Edinburgh.

Last edited by DXNewcastle; June 18th, 2010 at 05:48 PM.
DXNewcastle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2010, 10:16 AM   #80
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Transport secretary makes no guarantee on A1 dualling
July 23rd 2010, by William Green, The Journal

THE Government can not make any guarantees of the dualling of the A1 any time in the next decade, Transport Secretary Philip Hammond said yesterday.

Earlier this year, the Conservatives raised hopes that the key road could be upgraded after saying during the General Election campaign that they would designate the road a route of national importance – opening up access to more funding.

Cash to dual the A1 for an estimated price of £400m, was effectively denied to the North East by the previous Labour’s Government policy that meant any upgrade had to be paid for without help from national spending pots.

The region could not pay for dualling as it would use up the North East’s entire funding stream.

Last month, Mr Hammond confirmed the Government would treat the A1 as a national strategic road and develop plans for full dualling of it when resources allow. But he unable to provide a clear answer when asked by The Journal yesterday whether he could guarantee the A1 would be fully dualled within 10 years.

He said: “I can give you no guarantee about the A1, I am afraid. There are currently no plans to invite new schemes that are not already processed until we know the scope of our future capital budgets after the spending review.”

FULL ARTICLE HERE - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...1634-26913354/

Tags
a1 (m), cars, england, motorway, motorways, newcastle, newcastle roads, newcastle transport, road, roads, transport, united kingdom