daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Northeast and MidAtlantic > Local Forums > New York City

New York City » Manhattan | Brooklyn & Staten Island | Queens & Bronx | NYC Suburbs, Long Island & SW CT | photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 17th, 2004, 10:16 PM   #1
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17834

Year in Review : 2004 US Northeast US Part 1

Summary

I visited Philadelphia and New York twice in 2004 and added Buffalo in the summer. In total, I probably spent about two weeks travelling in the US. I've pretty much swept all the major cities in the Northeast in the past two years (Washington DC 2002, Boston 2003, New York & Philadelphia 2004).

April in Philadelphia

I visited a long-time friend studying in Philadelphia in April. He is a triple-major engineer living at the University of Pennsylvania, one of the top American schools. However, his place didn't resemble anything like an academic factory. His apartment was the congregation point for the Hong Kong crowd, with a red wine and mahjong tournament a few times a week. The "stupidest" person among the group was some double major with Wharton attached.

Philadelphia is the city of brotherly love. Here are some photos from the apartment building :

I really liked the rooftop lounge :

Philadelphia played a very important role in US history. Many of the original buildings from the 18th century are still here and open to the public.

Philadelphia City Hall

The tourist brochures never mentioned that I could go up to the top of the City Hall tower. I think I got a tip from a fellow forumer in here when I was doing research for my trip. Too bad it was rainy that Monday morning, but the view was spectacular and free!

Side-trip to New York : Empire State Building

The Chinatown bus into New York only costs $20 roundtrip, so it was a crime not to stop by the Big Apple for a day trip. After all, the drive only takes an hour and a half. I've been to New York many times before, but this was the first time I got a clear blue sky, and upon arrival I immediately went up the Empire State Building.

Unfortunately, there was a line-up and I had to wait an hour and a half to reach the observation deck. Some scalpers were trying to sell 'tickets' outside hoping to cash in on people not willing to wait.

Times Square

August in Philadelphia

I had just returned from Buffalo the night before and flew out early in the morning. It was a cold August morning .. only 7C or so. On the bright side, the skies were clear throughout the flight :

Three Mile Island

Lots of farms in rural America

More urban look

Approaching PHL

My first order of business upon arriving in sunny Philadelphia was not to tour the city. It was back to bed! It only took about half an hour from disembarking to reaching the hotel in Center City. Later, I met some students from my university working in Philly on internship, and we went to beaches in Ocean City. It was unusually cool for August, so it was very comfortable walking outdoors. The Atlantic Ocean was freezing cold, though!

Ocean City

Notice Atlantic City in the distance. I was actually planning to go there for a day, since the bus from Philly was extremely cheap! However, my classmate, who had flown to New York the day after I left for Philly, persuaded me to stay in New York one more day with her!

Goodbye Ocean City!

Touring Philly

My 2nd trip to Philadelphia had a different purpose. I was visiting a friend who was working there. Her company rented her an apartment in upscale Rittenhouse Square with valet parking. It was great. The gentleman working at the front desk remembered my name after meeting me only once. He even remembered I went up to New York everyday and the day when I will leave Philadelphia, too. Talk about professionalism!

I never got a chance to really walk around UPenn during my April visit. But not this time. Too bad my friends had flown back home for the summer. I guess the Whartonites do deserve their long breaks after all!

2004 Year in Review : US Northeast For Part 2 - Click Here

See my other thread : 2004 Year in Review in Canada Canada! Click Here!

Happy New Year!

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 17th, 2004, 11:16 PM   #2
nygirl

Likes (Received): 430

Great pics. Glad you enjoyed yourself. You should have come to ny in the summer though, or did you i couldn't tell.

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202
nygirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2004, 12:54 AM   #3
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17834

Yes, I was in New York in late August and also during Easter. The weather was great on both trips!

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2004, 08:09 PM   #4
gothamaniac

Likes (Received): 4

love the pics man - great job! philly is a awesome town - and provides a nice contrast to NYC - very different energy and feel.
gothamaniac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2004, 01:33 PM   #5
NYaddict
*Gotham*

Likes (Received): 1

Nice pics man,going to check part 2 now
NYaddict no está en línea   Reply With Quote