search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old December 13th, 2006, 03:07 AM   #41
CborG
Rick Bakker
 
CborG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Culemborg
Posts: 4,941
Likes (Received): 361

Some of the widest highways in Europe can be found in NL, especially around Rotterdam:

A4, the western part of the ring road around Rotterdam:



A15, the sourtern part:





A16, van Brienenoordbrug:



And the widest highway in the Netherlands, also the A16:

__________________
Ik ben niet gek.... Ik ben Psychisch Onverklaarbaar.
CborG no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 13th, 2006, 02:25 PM   #42
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 42,829
Likes (Received): 18247

That last image are actually two motorways; the A15 and A16 Motorway. Just a bit north (Van Brienenoord Bridge) is the busiest road in The Netherlands. Some 250.000 vehicles cross this bridge every day, it is busier than any German Autobahn, and is know to be one of the busiest roads of Europe. Competing the London beltway, and second to the Moscow and Madrid beltways.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2007, 07:26 PM   #43
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 42,829
Likes (Received): 18247

Here in NL, traffic Jams are notorious. With a little rain and a very little snow around The Hague (Den Haag), we have immediatly a huge traffic jam, which spreads like a virus throughout the Randstad region.

This was the situation just before 6pm.



A lot of these very busy motorways (AADT up to 250.000) have only 2 lanes per direction, for instance parts of the A4 from Leiden to Amsterdam, and parts of the A12 from The Hague to Gouda, and the A20 from Rotterdam to Gouda.
Also the A9 north of Haarlem has only 2 lanes per direction. But also the A27 and A28 near Utrecht, and the A2 south of Utrecht. Well, the jam today on the A2 was quite big, but we've seen it (many times) before.

Another worse thing is, that most intercity routes from the Randstad region towards Germany and Belgium are only 2x2 lanes, and have enourmous amounts of truck-traffic. On the A1, A12, A15, A16, A27, A28 and A67 the right lane is almost completely taken by trucks.

Some motorways have over 100.000 vehicles a day, and still have only 2x2 lanes, like the A28 near Amersfoort and Zwolle, the A4 north of Leiden, the A2 south of Utrecht, the A15 east of Rotterdam, the A20 northeast of Rotterdam, the A12 east of The Hague, the A50 near Arnhem etc.

That makes the Dutch traffic-jam-solutions very complicated. You widen one road, and the traffic jams continue on an motorway next to it. This problem came sinds 1990, when there wasn't almost any road wideningproject since.

Normal rushhours have about some 300km of traffic jam, that is 2 times more than in Germany, which have 5 times more inhabitants.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2007, 12:37 PM   #44
Verso
Islander
 
Verso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ljubljana
Posts: 22,024
Likes (Received): 4694

^ What about traffic jams in Ruhr? That metropolitan area is even larger than Randstad.

Anyway, thanks for the photos, they are nice, we don't often get an opportunity to see a new motorway in the Netherlands, hehe.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2007, 05:10 PM   #45
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 42,829
Likes (Received): 18247

Traffic jams in the Ruhr are notorious, but not as extensive as in the Randstad regio. For instance, our busiest road is twice as busy as the busiest road in the Ruhr valley (A40).

Normal evening rushhours here are twice the length in whole Germany. So you can see our traffic problem is much bigger, which doesn't say Germany hasn't got traffic problems.

Normal morning rushhours here give some 300km of traffic jam, and evening jams about 200 - 300 kms. But those are regular rushhours, and many are more busy.

Tomorrow, you will see what a busy rushhour is in NL; a lot of snow (10cm) is expected during the evening rushhour. The record today stands at 950km of traffic jam, see if we shall break it...or not.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2007, 05:14 PM   #46
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 42,829
Likes (Received): 18247

Today: normal rushhour, around 5pm.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2007, 05:21 PM   #47
Nephasto
Enlightened user
 
Nephasto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Porto
Posts: 5,809
Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
A lot of these very busy motorways (AADT up to 250.000) have only 2 lanes per direction, for instance parts of the A4 from Leiden to Amsterdam, and parts of the A12 from The Hague to Gouda, and the A20 from Rotterdam to Gouda.
Also the A9 north of Haarlem has only 2 lanes per direction. But also the A27 and A28 near Utrecht, and the A2 south of Utrecht. Well, the jam today on the A2 was quite big, but we've seen it (many times) before.

Another worse thing is, that most intercity routes from the Randstad region towards Germany and Belgium are only 2x2 lanes, and have enourmous amounts of truck-traffic. On the A1, A12, A15, A16, A27, A28 and A67 the right lane is almost completely taken by trucks.

Some motorways have over 100.000 vehicles a day, and still have only 2x2 lanes, like the A28 near Amersfoort and Zwolle, the A4 north of Leiden, the A2 south of Utrecht, the A15 east of Rotterdam, the A20 northeast of Rotterdam, the A12 east of The Hague, the A50 near Arnhem etc.

That makes the Dutch traffic-jam-solutions very complicated. You widen one road, and the traffic jams continue on an motorway next to it. This problem came sinds 1990, when there wasn't almost any road wideningproject since.

Normal rushhours have about some 300km of traffic jam, that is 2 times more than in Germany, which have 5 times more inhabitants.

Well, it seems that the Netherlands needs a major investment program in it's motorways, and not just an enlargement here and there.

Big problems take big measures (big investments) to be solved.

I want to see all Dutch motorways with 4 lanes per direction!!
__________________
Long live rail freight!!
Nephasto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2007, 05:49 PM   #48
Joshapd
....okay?!?!?
 
Joshapd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 1,990
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
Traffic jams in the Ruhr are notorious, but not as extensive as in the Randstad regio. For instance, our busiest road is twice as busy as the busiest road in the Ruhr valley (A40).

Normal evening rushhours here are twice the length in whole Germany. So you can see our traffic problem is much bigger, which doesn't say Germany hasn't got traffic problems.

Normal morning rushhours here give some 300km of traffic jam, and evening jams about 200 - 300 kms. But those are regular rushhours, and many are more busy.

Tomorrow, you will see what a busy rushhour is in NL; a lot of snow (10cm) is expected during the evening rushhour. The record today stands at 950km of traffic jam, see if we shall break it...or not.
There were hardly any big traffic jams, even less then normal!
__________________
love, 爱, _ 愛, liefde, amour, Liebe, αγάπη, amore, 愛

사랑 , amor, любовь, amor, kjŠrlighet, სიყვარული,

ტრფობა, szerelem, miłość, yŕu, אהבה ,ask,

mehebbet,pag-ibig, esgh, รัก!
Joshapd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2007, 05:51 PM   #49
Joshapd
....okay?!?!?
 
Joshapd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 1,990
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephasto View Post
Well, it seems that the Netherlands needs a major investment program in it's motorways, and not just an enlargement here and there.

Big problems take big measures (big investments) to be solved.

I want to see all Dutch motorways with 4 lanes per direction!!
Belief me, that would never happen! Not in this country were everybody is a nimby
__________________
love, 爱, _ 愛, liefde, amour, Liebe, αγάπη, amore, 愛

사랑 , amor, любовь, amor, kjŠrlighet, სიყვარული,

ტრფობა, szerelem, miłość, yŕu, אהבה ,ask,

mehebbet,pag-ibig, esgh, รัก!
Joshapd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2007, 07:50 PM   #50
Jeroen669
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 787
Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephasto
I want to see all Dutch motorways with 4 lanes per direction!!
If you would say all Dutch railways should get 4 tracks, it would be more realistic.
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2007, 09:30 PM   #51
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 42,829
Likes (Received): 18247

Quote:
Originally Posted by mij2 View Post
There were hardly any big traffic jams, even less then normal!
Yeah unbelievable! Even traffic experts are stunned by wat happened, they expected 500km of traffic jam and it was... 15km
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2007, 09:35 PM   #52
SkyView
Registered User
 
SkyView's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 599
Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
Traffic jams in the Ruhr are notorious, but not as extensive as in the Randstad regio. For instance, our busiest road is twice as busy as the busiest road in the Ruhr valley (A40).

Normal evening rushhours here are twice the length in whole Germany. So you can see our traffic problem is much bigger, which doesn't say Germany hasn't got traffic problems.

Normal morning rushhours here give some 300km of traffic jam, and evening jams about 200 - 300 kms. But those are regular rushhours, and many are more busy.

Tomorrow, you will see what a busy rushhour is in NL; a lot of snow (10cm) is expected during the evening rushhour. The record today stands at 950km of traffic jam, see if we shall break it...or not.
You are really proud of so much traffic jams in your country, aren't you ?

Your comparison only proves that Germany has a much better traffic handling than the Netherlands, that's all.
SkyView no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2007, 09:48 PM   #53
Quintana
Registered Abuser
 
Quintana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: 美好的码头
Posts: 4,311
Likes (Received): 1132

Or better drivers
Quintana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2007, 09:52 PM   #54
th0m
oemoemenemoe
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Groningen
Posts: 1,496
Likes (Received): 1

Yeah those trafficjams really aren't something to be proud of. Then again, there is no clear-cut answer.
__________________
"Yeah, well....that's just like...your opinion, man" - Jeff Bridges in The Big Lebowski

ORANJE

www.pbase.com/th0m for photo's
th0m no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2007, 11:43 PM   #55
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 42,829
Likes (Received): 18247

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyView View Post
You are really proud of so much traffic jams in your country, aren't you ?
No. It states, that there really have to be done something with these traffic-jams. A trip on a motorway outside urban areas of 50km takes 2 hours, and that is ridiculous.

Quote:
Your comparison only proves that Germany has a much better traffic handling than the Netherlands, that's all.
They certainly have. They have long distance 2x3 lanes motorways, we haven't got that, even not inside the Randstad region. But traffic patterns in Germany and The Netherlands are quite different. Germans have a much better Bundesstra▀e-network, than we have in National and Provincial roads.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2007, 03:40 PM   #56
Jeroen669
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 787
Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyview
You are really proud of so much traffic jams in your country, aren't you ?
No, but we have lots of thing to be proud of, to reduce those traffic jams!

- Betuwelijn (cargo railway)
- HSL (high speed railway)
- Randstadrail (degradation from a railway to a tramway)
- Kilometerheffing (paying for using the freeway)

Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2007, 09:17 PM   #57
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 42,829
Likes (Received): 18247

Well, not only motorways have traffic jams. I drive every day 14km to work, on the ringroad of Zwolle. In rushhours it takes 50 minutes to handle those 14kms
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2007, 12:25 PM   #58
Rebasepoiss
Registered User
 
Rebasepoiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Tallinn
Posts: 5,783
Likes (Received): 1756

Isn't Holland the only country in the world with 100% lighted motorways?
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2007, 12:30 PM   #59
Joshapd
....okay?!?!?
 
Joshapd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 1,990
Likes (Received): 1

No, AFAIK I know Belgium has more lighted highways then the Netherlands.
__________________
love, 爱, _ 愛, liefde, amour, Liebe, αγάπη, amore, 愛

사랑 , amor, любовь, amor, kjŠrlighet, სიყვარული,

ტრფობა, szerelem, miłość, yŕu, אהבה ,ask,

mehebbet,pag-ibig, esgh, รัก!
Joshapd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2007, 03:38 PM   #60
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 42,829
Likes (Received): 18247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
Isn't Holland the only country in the world with 100% lighted motorways?
Thats Belgium. In the Netherlands is about 1 / 3rd lit.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu